Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Comments

• Reply 81 of 445
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alessio21 View Post

they field tested it with a case around it to look like a 3gs... so they never experieced the interference issue

Yeah, so we've been saying.
  • Reply 82 of 445
    So I'm the only right handed person who holds it in my left hand? I type with my right hand.

~Callum
  • Reply 83 of 445
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's a good point too. I'm saddened by this revelation. I was looking forward to getting an iPhone 4, but now I'm left in limbo.

Well then, Ireland, don't buy it. Let someone else have the piece you are so desperately craving. I'll continue to enjoy my better than 3GS call quality.
  • Reply 84 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

You know I have had more than my fair share of hardware issues with Macs, so I am not about to fib on this. I'll take the thingy out on the town tomorrow to see if I get different results, but so far, it's looking good.

My friend who bought his phone at the same time as I did hasn't mailed me about any trouble yet, so I guess his is OK, too.

Good man.
  • Reply 85 of 445
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Ummmm....I'm right handed so I hold the phone in my right hand as most right handed people do. It's the unfortunate 11% of us who are left handed who are going to have issues.

So if you're right handed, meaning you draw/write/throw a ball with your right hand, wouldn't that be the same hand you use to tap the iPhone screen with? Given that, wouldn't it be your left hand that holds the device while you use your right fingers to tap it?

Just saying...
  • Reply 86 of 445
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, I'm right handed, and I hold the phone in my left hand when I make a call, preferring to have my right hand free to do things with. So it's a problem for more than just lefties, or maybe it's less of a problem for lefties if my way is not unusual. I'm guessing this didn't show up in field tests because they had them in those special cases to make it look like a 3GS. If this turns out to actually be the problem, they need to modify the design immediately to fix it. (Seems unlikely it could be fixed in software, but, if so, all the better.) For those who already own an iPhone 4, they should offer free Bumper cases to mitigate the problem.

yes, if this is truely a hardware issue...can anyone smell a recall? This would make the Toyota recall look like an isolated instance. we're talking millions of phones to recall. I doubt they will, but they should offer the bumpers for free and a discount on the next iPhone release next year.
  • Reply 87 of 445
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

The AT&T network uses 2 different frequency bands (800 & 1900). This issue might only affect one of these bands, hence why some users don't experience the issue.

I postulated that as an issue yesterday when the first video hit along with other way RF can be interrupted between the tower and the device. Since Field Test Mode is no longer activated via the same settings I can't see the RF bands in use. I have tested it on both GSM and UMTS, with combinations of WiFi and BT on and off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I can probably assume that the reveiw handsets are hand picked and QAed before being sent to an Andy Ihnatko, Dave Pouge or Walt Mossberg or for that matter an Engadget or mac world. In mass production, 1 in 100 or 1 in 500 may be pulled for random QA checks, so it may well be a wide spread issue.

It would be foolish for them not to check a review unit before handing it out, but according to Ireland this has to be a flaw resulting from the initial design and not an isolated production flaw affecting only 1 in 100 (1%) or 1 in 500 (0.2%).

As I've stated ad nauseum there will be bad units as this is CE, but to claim that this is a design flaw and troll forums, even ones not relating to the issue, trying to incite readers is complete BS. But he seems to like to get all wound up for no reason as I recall he did the same thing about the Magic Mouse.
  • Reply 88 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

So if you're right handed, meaning you draw/write/throw a ball with your right hand, wouldn't that be the same hand you use to tap the iPhone screen with? Given that, wouldn't it be your left hand that holds the device while you use your right fingers to tap it?

Just saying...

Exactly what I'm saying

I registered JUST to say that, but I've been wondering why I didn't have a login for ages

~Callum
  • Reply 89 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

yes, if this is truely a hardware issue...can anyone smell a recall? This would make the Toyota recall look like an isolated instance. we're talking millions of phones to recall. I doubt they will, but they should offer the bumpers for free and a discount on the next iPhone release next year.

That is not a solution.
  • Reply 90 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As I've stated ad nauseum there will be bad units as this is CE, but to claim that this is a design flaw and troll forums, even ones not relating to the issue, trying to incite readers is complete BS.

As long as you've stated it.
  • Reply 91 of 445
    This opens up a whole new market for left handed iPhones. Get to it Apple!!

I've also held my iPhone 4 in both hands and no dropped calls. Nothing to report here in sunny England.
  • Reply 92 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by callumacrae View Post

Exactly what I'm saying

I registered JUST to say that, but I've been wondering why I didn't have a login for ages

~Callum

Whatever you do don't bring any perspective, some people take offense to it.
  • Reply 93 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

My prediction is that this is a hardware problem, and that:

1) Apple will roll a new hardware revision that fixes this problem.

2) Those who bought the first batch will get free replacements.

I expect this to take several weeks.

This is gonna be costly...over 600K units shipped.
  • Reply 94 of 445
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

You know I have had more than my fair share of hardware issues with Macs, so I am not about to fib on this. I'll take the thingy out on the town tomorrow to see if I get different results, but so far, it's looking good.

My friend who bought his phone at the same time as I did hasn't mailed me about any trouble yet, so I guess his is OK, too.

Maybe it's some weird body chemistry thing and works as a lie detector. If you say the bars have disappeared, then they do, if you say they are there, they are. It'll become known as the iPhone paradox.
  • Reply 95 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Ummmm....I'm right handed so I hold the phone in my right hand as most right handed people do. It's the unfortunate 11% of us who are left handed who are going to have issues.

Unless that was a joke--in which case, you're kind of funny.

Plus, if you are right handed then holding the phone in the left hand makes sense because you'll want to use your right hand to accomplish tasks.
  • Reply 96 of 445
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Mine works fine...
  • Reply 97 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by callumacrae View Post

So I'm the only right handed person who holds it in my left hand? I type with my right hand.

~Callum

Me too. I have 3Gs running 4.0 software. last night I took the Incase cover off and held it in my left hand. I lost two signal bars pretty quickly, but then gained one back but never got to full strength. Anyone else try this with a 3GSs?
  • Reply 98 of 445
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Interesting flaw... but is it design or production? I find it hard to believe they didn't consider the impact of something external allowing conductance between the antenna. My thought had been that there is a layer of clear varnish or something on the metal, in which case this might be a production problem with the application or formulation of the varnish. And if there is no varnish and somehow this slipped past their testing (?!) then I would imagine that all future units will be varnished! I would expect that flawed units will be either replaced or given bumpers free of cost.

Pity to tarnish the product launch of such an amazing device, but this kind of stuff happens all the time. We will see how well they respond, but internally I can only imagine how they are freaking out and looking for causes/solutions. Must be like mission control during the Apollo 13 mission right about now.

In the meantime, stop sweating!
  • Reply 99 of 445
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Now I want one. The new 'going through a tunnel' feature could come in really handy when you just want to get off the phone.
  • Reply 100 of 445
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Cross posted from the "Yellow Bands" thread:

Oh hey look, it's Step 28 in the always relevant Apple Product Cycle:

Quote:

A minor, rarely occurring flaw in the device begins to be discussed in the Apple support forums. Whiny, artistic types post lengthy diatribes about how this terrible design flaw has made the device unusable and scarred them emotionally. Electronic petitions are created demanding that Apple replace the devices for free, plus pay for counseling to help traumatized users overcome their emotional distress.

It's amazing how closely every rollout adheres to that list, which is what, six or seven years old now? Can't imagine why anyone would be surprised that this time would be different.

And before anyone yells that this one is really really for reals and really bad, yeah, that's what gets said about each and every one of the "critical flaws" that are discovered after each and every one of Apple's products ship. Anyone remember the terrible manufacturing defects of the 3Gs? Didn't think so.