Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Comments

• Reply 101 of 445
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Now I'm glad Verizon didn't get the iPhone 4 cause I would have bought one. Hopefully next year the vIphone 5 will have this problem corrected.

Would Apple have had to put the antenna on the outside if ATT didn't have a crappy network?
  • Reply 102 of 445
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's not just on AT&T, in Germany too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkynGguWG4
  • Reply 103 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Me too. I have 3Gs running 4.0 software. last night I took the Incase cover off and held it in my left hand. I lost two signal bars pretty quickly, but then gained one back but never got to full strength. Anyone else try this with a 3GSs?

Same results with my 3GS after I read about this last night.
  • Reply 104 of 445
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If the invisible shield can't stop it probably not damp. Clear nail varnish? Please don't tell me you're suggest we paint our phones with that crap?

Wow, you are aggressive today, the brackets were intended as a joke. The clear plastic coating at time of manufacture was my serious suggestion if indeed it were a shorting issue.
  • Reply 105 of 445
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    I can confirm this with my just arrived and activated iPhone 4. If I intentionally bridge the lower left side case antenna gap with my hand the 5 bars slowly sink down to nothing and the signal is lost. Remove my hand and they slowly build back up. I've repeated this several times. It's probably not helped by the warm humid weather and resulting slightly moist skin.

I'm right handed and normally hold the phone in my left hand to hit keys, but on my right side for phone calls.

Hmm... bumper case, Scotch tape, clear nail polish?
  • Reply 106 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Me too. I have 3Gs running 4.0 software. last night I took the Incase cover off and held it in my left hand. I lost two signal bars pretty quickly, but then gained one back but never got to full strength. Anyone else try this with a 3GSs?

Yep , same problem. Already reported that yesterday on this thread http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...79#post1659879
  • Reply 107 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    This is yet another reason why I wait and I'm not an extreme early adopter of any technology.

I use my phone in my left hand since I drive a 5 speed. Until this issue is confirmed to be gone from the revised units, I'll wait on this.

Apple is fallible like any other company. They've done well enough though that this won't cause the same uproar as if HTC had the issue for instance. HTC has had enough major screw ups that if this was them, the backlash would be worse.

Oh well. Good luck to those who need to get theirs replaced for this issue.
  • Reply 108 of 445
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Cross posted from the "Yellow Bands" thread:

Oh hey look, it's Step 28 in the always relevant Apple Product Cycle:

It's amazing how closely every rollout adheres to that list, which is what, six or seven years old now? Can't imagine why anyone would be surprised that this time would be different.

And before anyone yells that this one is really really for reals and really bad, yeah, that's what gets said about each and every one of the "critical flaws" that are discovered after each and every one of Apple's products ship. Anyone remember the terrible manufacturing defects of the 3Gs? Didn't think so.

Well, the difference here is that this is a super high profile launch, the media are all over it, and the stakes are high. Apple really does need to get out in front of this one, which is contrary to their normal quiet, yet usually very effective, response strategy.
  • Reply 109 of 445
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If it is a shorting issue due to damp hands as some seem to suggest, a layer of clear plastic (clear nail varnish?) or a case would suffice one would think. I find it hard to believe it is a transmission issue as flesh and bone don't block signals do they? Of course it could all be hysteria and FUD or limited to a few. It will be interesting to see.

My phone is doing it. I was thinking the same, they could send a laminating machine to install a thin clear protective band. Would like that better than the bumper.
  • Reply 110 of 445
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's a good point too. I'm saddened by this revelation. I was looking forward to getting an iPhone 4, but now I'm left in limbo.

So get a "bumper" too. Probably a good idea anyway, to protect the edges (and antenna) if you drop the phone.

Thompson
  • Reply 111 of 445
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    It is simply not plausible that something so fundamental as the hand interfering with the external antenna bands would not have been tested and re-tested in every possible situation. When rolling out an entirely new way to implement antennas, this would be job one. Apple (Jobs) is obsessive/compulsive when it comes to getting hardware right. Suggestions that field testing with a camouflaged 3Gs case prevented them from discovering the hand "shorting out" the antenna plates are foolish.
  • Reply 112 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    A thought just occurred to me: How embarrassing would it be for someone to start up a phone call right after buying one of these then have the call dropped as your walking out the door in front of all the other suckers in line for this thing. How pissed would you be? Would you say oh well and keep walking, or would you say oh hell no lol
  • Reply 113 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, the difference here is that this is a super high profile launch, the media are all over it, and the stakes are high. Apple really does need to get out in front of this one, which is contrary to their normal quiet, yet usually very effective, response strategy.

Assuming there is any validity of course, I am sure Apple will respond. If not they will ignore it for sure.

Meanwhile, a survey shows if you hold an iPhone 4 with your feet and dial with your nose it causes serious back strain in 999 out of 1000 people.
  • Reply 114 of 445
    This is happening with my iPhone 4. I can replicate it with very little contact between the two antennas.

Design flaw? I think it's certainly possible. After all these things were field-tested in 3G-shaped disguise cases which would prevent this kind of physical contact.

Limited to certain handsets? Not sure. When I first read about this issue I tried it in my office and couldn't replicate it. I thought I was safe. But my office building has a 3G repeater - when I went out into the world and tried it, the signal went right away.

It'll be remedied one way or another. Dunno why but I have a feeling this can be addressed in a software update.
  • Reply 115 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

My phone is doing it. I was thinking the same, they could send a laminating machine to install a thin clear protective band. Would like that better than the bumper.

Is this just in your left hand? If so what happens if you hold it upside down in the right one? Also if you were gloved? I am wondering if it is shorting or something else.
  • Reply 116 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.Betruger View Post

Yep , same problem. Already reported that yesterday on this thread http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...79#post1659879

Pointing towards the software, yes?
  • Reply 117 of 445
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

My prediction is that this is a hardware problem, and that:

1) Apple will roll a new hardware revision that fixes this problem.

2) Those who bought the first batch will get free replacements.

I expect this to take several weeks.

My prediction is that:

(1) Apple will roll a new hardware revision that fixes the problem, and

(2) Apple offers free bumpers to anyone that is suffering problems. (Which would only be people that don't already have bumpers) and

(3) Cave in to those who demand that they want a bumperless phone (even if the bumper is free).

I suspect that with this path, there will be a lot less replacement phones going out than with your path.

Oh, also that it will take a hell of a lot longer than "several weeks" to "roll a new hardware revision". Testing the solution must be robust, and the FCC may need to do a re-qualifying process (not sure about the latter). Regardless, the internal testing will be robust, and meanwhile, several weeks worth of inventory is churning through the factories now. They will sell those down and offer free bumpers.

Thompson
  • Reply 118 of 445
    If I cup my iPhone 4 with both hands, touching the metal bands, I saw the bars increase by one and then slowly decrease. Took about a minute and a half to drop the call.

But my signal here has always been poor on my 1st gen phone so I'd like to try this in an area that has stronger signal strength. In fact, sitting here, the iPhone 4 goes from full bars to one by itself. Is that AT&T or the phone?

If I hold the phone in my left hand like I would when making a call, no change in the bars.
  • Reply 119 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.Betruger View Post

You are joking right? iOS 4 on an iPhone 3Gs has this issue? First off mine doesn't but if your does it kind of proved the iPhone 4 has no hardware design issue doesn't it? Software that cares which hand you use on two different iPhones? Sorry if I find this beyond believable. Of course we could be into Apple using quantum, inter dimensional technology that hasn't yet been reported.
  • Reply 120 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

If I cup my iPhone 4 with both hands, touching the metal bands, I saw the bars increase by one and then slowly decrease. Took about a minute and a half to drop the call.

But my signal here has always been poor on my 1st gen phone so I'd like to try this in an area that has stronger signal strength. In fact, sitting here, the iPhone 4 goes from full bars to one by itself. Is that AT&T or the phone?

If I hold the phone in my left hand like I would when making a call, no change in the bars.

Try putting a finger in one ear and holding the other hand out of a window... Oh, better hold the phone in your teeth ...

Sorry, just teasing. I believe you. Seriously, I suspect as you cupped it a solar wind blew through and the signal dipped.