iPad, iPhone 4 supply issues expected to continue for Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Demand for both the iPhone 4 and iPad has constrained the availability of supplies from Apple's overseas partners, suggesting shortages could continue for some time.

Citing sources in the supply chain, Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Thursday that Apple's partners, including Foxlink, have been unable to meet demand. The issues have resulted in lingering limited availability of the iPad since it first launched in the U.S. in early April.

With Thursday's launch of the iPhone 4 and incredible demand for the new handset, sources said the supply issues are only expected to worsen.

The chairman of Foxlink was questioned about supply issues at a recent event, but declined to comment.

Ming-Chi Kuo, research senior analyst with DigiTimes, said that the retail channel has experienced tight supply for display panels thanks to the success of the iPad. The issues are expected to ease in the third quarter of 2010.

Kuo said that Apple ordered between 3.5 million and 3.8 million iPads in the first half of 2010, and will order close to 9 million in the second half of the year. Orders for the Wi-Fi-only iPad are expected to exceed those for the 3G-capable model.

Supply issues with the iPad forced Apple to delay the international launch of the device until the end of May. And Apple sold 600,000 iPhone 4 preorders on its first day, selling out of its entire inventory and pushing new orders back to an estimated July 14 ship date.

The DigiTimes report also noted that Apple is in negotiations with China's Founder to provide e-book content to the nation of over a billion. Kuo said he believes Apple wants to localize its content to fit the cultures of different regions, and hopes to make a splash in the China e-book market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    that bodes well for investors...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The DigiTimes report also noted that Apple is in negotiations with China's Founder.

I imagine China's Founder is long dead. Maybe a living descendant?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

that bodes well for investors...

Up to a point. Frustrate potential buyers too much and they will turn to another product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

I imagine China's Founder is long dead. Maybe a living descendant?

I think they call him the Dear Leader now.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I am expecting several financial analysts to predict fall of AAPL. :-)
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

I am expecting several financial analysts to predict fall of AAPL. :-)

Not to mention, a few amateur haters here.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I was one of the first on the list at my local Best Buy. However, Apple didn't send them any of the 32gb iPhones they ordered so I am still waiting. (That's right- no 32gb iPhones at all.)
  • Reply 7 of 17
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not to mention, a few amateur haters here.

aapl will have a 5 to 3 share split

36 months later another 3 to 2 split

appl pre split prices from late november 2010 onwards will be over $330 to 365 a share

if europe recovers and the USA also picks up aapl may hit 400 with a stock market boom

no matter what happens economy of scale and a tiny product line bode well for apple and anyone within 100 feet of them .

including msft

bing me

the flight to high quality devices insures that in nay situation apple will sell very well

in 5 yrs when all product lines reach full market satuaration

app store itunes will then be very high profit concerns

go apple
  • Reply 8 of 17
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregg_Casey View Post

I was one of the first on the list at my local Best Buy. However, Apple didn't send them any of the 32gb iPhones they ordered so I am still waiting. (That's right- no 32gb iPhones at all.)

best buy ???

how tacky !!!

kidding

• Reply 9 of 17
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Up to a point. Frustrate potential buyers too much and they will turn to another product.

If the industry is supply/production line-constrained, the buyers may have nowhere to turn, No?

• Reply 10 of 17
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:

My local best buy was also sold out. The store manager said that many folks who pre-ordered were without phones due to lack of inventory. The local walmarts carrying iPhones received no inventory for launch day according to a salesperson I spoke to this morning.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

aapl will have a 5 to 3 share split

36 months later another 3 to 2 split

Makes no matter to me. I've been through two splits of AAPL and they didn't change my stock value one iota. What did change it was Apple continuing to increase profits.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If the industry is supply/production line-constrained, the buyers may have nowhere to turn, No?

If so, but I haven't heard about anyone else being equally constrained, coming up short enough to unable to meet demand.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Here's why I suggest you go to a radio shack near you just make sure it's a low key store not the ones in malls or superstores-- I went to a Radio Shack here in NYC on 7th ave and 30th St (after checking all the other main ones) and I got on line at 2:00AM aNd I was on that line all the way til 7:30 ALONE before anybody showed up-that's right NO LINE and the 2 other dudes that finally go there at about 7:30ish were the only other people that were waiting with me the RS sales rep got there at 8:00AM and let us in and told us they had 4-32 GB BLACK IPHONES and 3-16GB BLACK iPhones --

Of course I was firs online there so I got mine no problem

Also they are offering $65-$79. bundles for $50 with an additional $20 off that so I got an iPhone car charger (5) pack screen protector, 1-black iPhone 4-gel case/cover and a 3ft audio cable to hook up to your car or home stereo... I am a HAPPY iCRAZY CAMPER

(now I just need to save up some more $$$ for that car ..)

Oh, I almost forgot they also gave me a $100 credit on my old iPhone trade in and applied it right there on the spot

My total price plus tax was $258.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    15 Million sales for iPad by the end of the year. You heard it here first
  • Reply 14 of 17
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    AAPL will exceed GOOG by the end of next year!

Hopefully due to AAPL share price gains and not because of GOOG share price decline...

• Reply 15 of 17
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

AAPL will exceed GOOG by the end of next year!

Hopefully due to AAPL share price gains and not because of GOOG share price decline...

Exceed Google in what, share price? Share price of one company versus another company is completely arbitrary. If Apple executed a reverse split, such as 1 for 10, its share price would easily exceed Google. That doesn't make the company worth any more or any less than it does now.

In terms of market cap, which is a way to compare compaines, Apple exceeds Google by about $90B.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 234member
    What is the rush? Afraid Apple will stop making the iPhone? I will wait patiently until I can walk into a store without waiting for hours, buy my little device, and be on my way.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The DigiTimes report also noted that Apple is in negotiations with China's Founder

You mean Emperor Qin? I thought the terracotta warriors were protecting his grave.