Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Comments

• Reply 141 of 445
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

If it is a minor problem, we might hear from Apple in a few days. Otherwise, we may not hear from Apple ever. They are very slow to admit things.

And do I recall correctly that the yellow screened iMacs were subjected to unsuccessful software "fixes"? Before they were pulled from the market for a while? Did that turn out to be a shipping damage issue? Did Apple ever admit to anything?

I paid only tangential attention to that disaster.

Funny thing is they never even fixed it. At least as of May this year, new 27" iMacs had the subtle yellow tint.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That wasn't a disaster, tekstud. Only a small number of iMacs out of the total produced were affected and Apple seems to have taken care of those people. Certainly no one seems to be complaining about that anymore.

That's not quite right. Most people may not notice it, but the yellow tint is indeed there on current 27's (including my i7 from last month...)
  • Reply 142 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It is simply not plausible that something so fundamental as the hand interfering with the external antenna bands would not have been tested and re-tested in every possible situation. When rolling out an entirely new way to implement antennas, this would be job one. Apple (Jobs) is obsessive/compulsive when it comes to getting hardware right. Suggestions that field testing with a camouflaged 3Gs case prevented them from discovering the hand "shorting out" the antenna plates are foolish.

So what are you saying? The reported issue does not exist, despite many fiurst hand accounts within this thread? That Apple knew of the problem but released the phone anyway? Option 3?
  • Reply 143 of 445
    Luckily there is a fix to the problem:

Solution to the iPhone 4 antenna issue
  • Reply 144 of 445
    jennygjennyg Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BagNDrag View Post

It sure will be interesting to see what the official word is on this issue. Just to add to the confusion of things, it seems to depend location as well. I was able to reproduce this at home last night. Today, at work, I can NOT get it to happen at all. WIFI connected, WIFI disconnected etc. Makes no sense unless the 3g signal is SO strong here in the city so as to be a non issue. I'll try again tonight when I'm back home.... strange.

Same thing here -- the problem's reproducible at home (although not to the point where it drops anything; I see the bars dip, but data/calls still work), but at work the bars stay steady.

My wild guess at this point would be that it's software overreacting to the hardware -- that whole looks-for-the-strongest-uninterrupted-signal thing. If the so-called interruption is your hand, it's not going to find a better one, and may just cycle through all available options, come up with nothing better, and fail out. If you're somewhere where the signal's stronger to begin with, it may not need to try to find a "better option." But, like I said, total supposition on my part. We'll see.

Mostly, I'm trying not to freak out for now, since the phone's still doing its job. I'm keeping an eye out for any official announcements, though.
  • Reply 145 of 445
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Leave to engadget and gizmodo to spread FUD.

AFAIK, this was first reported by MacRumors. Others, including AI and the gadget sites picked it up from them.
  • Reply 146 of 445
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theroamer View Post

Great first port.
  • Reply 147 of 445
    nicknycnicknyc Posts: 1member
    I can confirm this happens on my 3GS, WITHOUT iOS 4. BUT it depends on my location. By my office window, the bars start dropping if I hold it that way.... At my desk, I cannot reproduce. This is very weird indeed...
  • Reply 148 of 445
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    just got back from apple store. no way i'm waiting in that line. anyway i tested 3 phones no yellow, no left hand problems. are you people shorting appl stock or what? truth i think the phone feels clunky in my hand and more solid but not in a good way. i have 3gs with new ios4 software and i think software upgrade most important step.
  • Reply 149 of 445
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    :P Maybe its a good thing we aren't getting iPhone 4 for another month here in Canada.. it will give them a chance to fix all the little defects the first releases always seem to have.
  • Reply 150 of 445
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sopphode View Post

... That's not quite right. Most people may not notice it, but the yellow tint is indeed there on current 27's (including my i7 from last month...)

And what has Apple said to you regarding this?
  • Reply 151 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennyg View Post

Same thing here -- the problem's reproducible at home (although not to the point where it drops anything; I see the bars dip, but data/calls still work), but at work the bars stay steady.

My wild guess at this point would be that it's software overreacting to the hardware -- that whole looks-for-the-strongest-uninterrupted-signal thing. If the so-called interruption is your hand, it's not going to find a better one, and may just cycle through all available options, come up with nothing better, and fail out. If you're somewhere where the signal's stronger to begin with, it may not need to try to find a "better option." But, like I said, total supposition on my part. We'll see.

Mostly, I'm trying not to freak out for now, since the phone's still doing its job. I'm keeping an eye out for any official announcements, though.

I like your logic JennyG! I too am trying NOT to freak out. The phone is awesome and I would hate for this to be a hardware issue that can't be fixed by software. I'm going with what you have said... at least it makes me feel better!
  • Reply 152 of 445
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Isn't it great we have something to talk about other then the oil spill.

Seriously folks their is so much mis information. People who rely on the bars as an indicator to wether you have a problem are wasting your time. When not connected the indicator is a estimator until the phone is sharing bit error rates with the tower you really don't know what's going on. Also realize that signal performance is not static both the tower and the device adjust power based on number of users and signal qualities ect. Does a problem exist under certain conditions. Probably but the simple solution until Apple engineers determine the issue and engineer a fix is to use a case if you can't live with that then move your hand or sell your phone, I'm sure you could find someone to take your new Iphone off your hands via ebay and maybe make a profit.
  • Reply 153 of 445
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theroamer View Post

Dude, those things are awesome, even without an iPhone 4. I'm totally ordering right now!

• Reply 154 of 445
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    I haven't read the whole thread, but just a quick idea:

It seems to me that the issue comes up when you create a shortcut between the two antennas at the seam. If I'm right, that means you lose the call as well when you make a shortcut at the top seam. The right seam does nothing, as it is bogus (no physical disconnection).

Wonder why that would be. I think that there is no shortcut when you don't bridge the seam, as there is to much resistance in the human body for the interference to be generated when passing through a bigger part, (i.e. in this case the entire hand), when you hold it normally on both sides.

Just some thoughts.

Edit: there is no bridging with the cases like the bumper in place, which explains the correction of this defect. Again, I'm only guessing here.
  • Reply 155 of 445
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    A commenter at the Gizmondo story about this said he spoke to Apple, that they are sending him a replacement phone, and the problem stems from some units failing to get a "protective coating."
  • Reply 156 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They *have* being testing it in the field. But they have has cases on them to disguise them, thus their hands "when they were in the field" were never touching that band, so there's was no real antenna connection made. The reason it's hard to believe is because something this crazy may actually be true.

It's sickening to think this may not be fixable via firmware. I'll be holding my breath on this one.

field testing in a HUGE CASE that made it look like a 3gs... no wonder they did see the problem till later on and prob said hmmm lets make bumpers
  • Reply 157 of 445
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alessio21 View Post

field testing in a HUGE CASE that made it look like a 3gs... no wonder they did see the problem till later on and prob said hmmm lets make bumpers

And charge $30 for 'em
  • Reply 158 of 445
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

A commenter at the Gizmondo story about this said he spoke to Apple, that they are sending him a replacement phone, and the problem stems from some units failing to get a "protective coating."

Protective coating eh? So almost like a sortof "clear varnish" substance hmmm, interesting.

Seriously though, if this is all it turns out to be, I will be surprised and amazed. Mainly because it's an easy fix, and because Apple is aware of the problem. Of course this all depends on if this report on Gizmodo is legit.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are

The Days of our Lives.
  • Reply 159 of 445
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    This issue doesn't effect me as I bought a case which wraps round the steel in a similar fashion tot he Apple bumpers. I bought this as I would like some matter of protection, rather than my skin coming into direct contact with the antenna.

However this does not excuse Apple from shipping with what appears to be a fairly major flaw. If there is indeed a coating missing then they should, at some point, arrange for users to swapout their handsets.

I tested mine without the case and it drops out when I press a finger over the space on the steel in the bottom corner. However I noticed that I don't actually touch that area during calls, either with or without a case on.
  • Reply 160 of 445
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

So get a "bumper" too. Probably a good idea anyway, to protect the edges (and antenna) if you drop the phone.

Thompson

Don't tell me what to get.