Apple debuts iPhone 4 to sprawling lines, lengthy waits

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Oof. I waited 3 and a half hours in line. I arrived an hour before the Apple Store opened, and I'm glad I did.

I got there at 6 AM. By 6:30, the line was insane! It was worth it
  • Reply 62 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

It's an interesting issue. Folks will complain if they release a crap product, and complain if the release an amazing product but there is high demand.

Anyone really think that Apple should tone down the quality a bit to not have lines?

That's hardly the only option.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I don't know why Apple doesn't allow people to check in-store availability of products from their website; the store employees probably answer hundreds of, "do you have any iPhones/iPads?" phonecalls a day. I'm assuming all stores will be sold out today, but I wonder how long until they get additional stock, considering new online orders don't ship for 3 weeks.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I just went to my local Apple store in Knoxville. There were about 200 people still in line at 2 PM.

They were sold out of iP4 bumper cases. That line was moving slow too. Not sure how with all those Apple employees in there but then again that store has always been a bit of a pain to get out when it was empty.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Good to see Apple can still get 'em mobilized.

Now if only they had someone to talk to with their shiny new telephones.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    The line this morning in NYC store WOW!! I wonder if everyone will get a phone? They must have a truckload of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXyw1QI-yY
  • Reply 67 of 82
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

North Austin's store was out of control line wise, 1000's of folks in line for pre-order.

To that end, the store did a great job. At least 50 employees were there to check everyone out, and they even catered the line with scones and coffee from a local shop. The line was moving nicely, and the people in line were enjoying the time overall.

For the benefit for others, if you have a reservation you can pickup 2 phones, so call your friends and get their info.

Quick question for you, do you have a sense as to whether they were going to sell out today or not? I assume so, but you never know. Any other helpful info for other Austinites who didn't make it to the store yet?
  • Reply 68 of 82
    mymoonmymoon Posts: 10member
    I personally thought the process was badly managed. I reserved an iPhone 4 to pick up at an Apple store, but saw dozens of irritated and resigned people sitting and standing in the reservation line.

At about 10AM (after dropping my daughter off at her daycare), I got to the mall where my local Apple store is, in Pleasanton, CA (SF East Bay), and saw the long, snaking line of walk-in hopefuls bunched up around the mall entrance. Then, when I got to the Apple store, I saw the reservation line snaking the other direction. If I had stood in line it would have probably taken me at least 4-6 hours to pick up my phone. If I had known this, it would have been a no brainer to have ordered the phone last week for FedEx delivery.

Apple should have had a second reservation line for people (like me) who just wanted to purchase, quickly activate, and leave the store to set everything up themselves at home. To clump everyone in the same line is a horrendous way to treat those customers who bothered to make a reservation. By the way, I didn't see any coffee or anything being served. In fact, the reservation line was interfering with the foot traffic around kiosk vendors in the walkways, which made things even more uncomfortable for those in the reservation line. Demeaning situation all around.

I left without the phone and had to place an online order -- after the 10-day wait -- because the store reservation process was so badly managed. Deeply disappointed.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    mymoonmymoon Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I agree. I walked away, despite my pre-order. My priorities aren't so screwed that I'll kill a full day waiting in line for this phone.

I'm on the same page. I took one look at that long reservations line and said to myself, "For a PHONE?!? Nah." Then I went home, had a nice lunch, went to the trusty MBP, placed my online order for the phone, and now I'm kvetching here and ready to get some work done. I'd gladly wait a few weeks while living my life rather than wait in a line watching others pass by.

If I were still in that line, I probably would have seen only 5-10 people getting served. Not judging those who waited in line. I've personally just got a different approach.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    That's the beauty of living in a small town. I went to AT&T this morning around 8:30, walked in bought a phone without anyone else in line, walked out about 15 minutes later. Love it. They said there would be a line but there wasn't. Guess everybody over slept.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

That's the beauty of living in a small town. I went to AT&T this morning around 8:30, walked in bought a phone without anyone else in line, walked out about 15 minutes later. Love it. They said there would be a line but there wasn't. Guess everybody over slept.

Well, AT&T did say pretty clearly that they would have no phones available for walk-ins. And if your town is really small, then maybe the other person who pre-ordered slept in this morning seeing as he or she could get it anytime today.

Yeah, I would agree that the small town angle is a pretty good idea actually. I'll have to remember that for iPhone5.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    phastmacphastmac Posts: 12member
    What about 3rd party outlets, Walmart, Radioshack, and Best Buy? Were they able to sell? Know one friend who waited three hours to get her preordered iPhone, she waited in line at the Honolulu Apple Store since 5am, another friend said that the ATT store he reserved posted a sign saying iPhones will be available Tuesday, so I guess that ATT store didn't get any. I will wait till the dust settles and also my wife wants the white one. I fought off the temptation to go open a new line for my business.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Willow Bend Mall, Plano, TX 6pm

• Reply 74 of 82
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phastmac View Post

What about 3rd party outlets, Walmart, Radioshack, and Best Buy? Were they able to sell? Know one friend who waited three hours to get her preordered iPhone, she waited in line at the Honolulu Apple Store since 5am, another friend said that the ATT store he reserved posted a sign saying iPhones will be available Tuesday, so I guess that ATT store didn't get any. I will wait till the dust settles and also my wife wants the white one. I fought off the temptation to go open a new line for my business.

Stopped at a Radio Shack this morning at 9AM to see how many they sold; only one store in the entire metro area got any stock, and what they got was a grand total of..two iPhones. So basically, Radio Shack didn't have any.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I wouldn't bank on it. The people in line are the ones that could get off work. \

And Town Square? The only outdoor mall Apple store in Vegas? You really are a masochist

I just got back in line and of course you're right, my boyfriend should have picked an indoor one. But shopping at Town Square is so much more pleasant normally!

The line is about half what it was this morning, so maybe 150 people in front of me? I'm overhearing people saying they have counted out and cut off the purchases line. They also said restaurants were taking catering orders in line around lunchtime!
  • Reply 76 of 82
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Well mine took about 6 hours total to obtain, in 100 degree heat and 70% humidity. There were about 700 in front of me so today was just a long day all around. Glad to say that the Apple store provided chips, and iced drinks for the long lines and did their best to keep everyone comfortable.

The screen is flat out amazing on this thing. If you guys get a chance, check out the Tron trailer in the YouTube app. Apparently all of the video's will automatically show the HD version.

Mine seems to be suffering from that weird signal issue when your holding it, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything other than the bar display. Here's hoping they get a fix for it, and if not, I'll just swap it out when things quiet down.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    I have loved Apple but I could not help but feel people were crazy to wait in those kinds of lines... I felt it was crazy considering in a short time, people could have it without hassle. apple should find a better method, this actually turns me off.

Very unfortunate and I have several Apple products
  • Reply 78 of 82
    My estimate of 150 proved correct when I was finally able to count heads. I've been here 2.5 hours and there are still 40 in front of me. Sounds like other stores were more efficient than this one. It's 845pm and the line still goes back to where I originally started. They're giving out claim checks for people to come back tomorrow.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    I got to the Santa Monica Apple store at about 6:30 PM, and the reservations line was 2-3 hours long from what I could tell.

I got a reservation so I would not have to stand in line for ever! So I asked if I could come back later, and was told that at 9PM they would lock down the line and not let anyone else get in line. So I could come back before then.

When I got there at 8:40pm, the line had been locked down for while, and they were handing out priority passes for the tomorrow, for those with reservations. WTF, I am starting to hate Apple. The store manger had the audacity to say that due to the overwhelming reception of the iPhone they had more customers than anticipated. Hello, they had their store and day specific reservations list for over a week. They knew EXACTLY how many people would show up for the reservations line. I really hate to get such empty bs lipservice. So insulting, like I am a moron.

It is just SO disappointing that Apple does such BS. We can have long lines for the media circus for those that do not reserve or prepurchase. There is no need to aggravate loyal customers that planned ahead.

I am thinking, at the next stockholders meeting I am going to petition for corporate policy against such customer abusive behavior, it REALLY spoils the magic.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Have to say that at the 5th Avenue flagship store the experience was GOOD. Everything coordinated, the line moved fast, the associates were pleasant. Have to give the management and rest of the team at that store the credit.

As for Apple not having cases, screen protectors or other accessories (Just Bumbers)available for the 4G

SHAME ON APPLE!!!