iPhone 4 screen yellowing could be a temporary problem from assembly

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Surely they have a policy against crying since Foxconn supplies water to their employees and copious tears would just add to their operating expense.

Actually, Foxconn is pretty generous in this department. Each worker is afforded three 5 minute crying breaks per shift.

- Bleep
  • Reply 22 of 54
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The sky needs to fall on Apple, they have turned evil and greedy.

Turned? I love Apple as much as anyone else here, but let's be honest with each other, Apple is an American corporation set to make as much money as they possibly can. Unlike other companies, they believe the best way to do that is to put the user experience above everything else, but don't think they haven't been in it for the money since day one.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The sky needs to fall on Apple, they have turned evil and greedy.

You mean the Vatican?

It has its head already in the heavens!

Apple is tiny ( ask Mr. Balmer ), how can it be evil?
  • Reply 24 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder what the chicken heads will say then if this is indeed the case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

Hopefully it is, but it's still probably quite annoying for those affected.

We have much more pressing things to be annoyed about than some stupid gadget. Like the Gulf oil spill maybe?
  • Reply 25 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the yellowing is from the tears of foxconn workers that haven't fully evaporated yet.

You mean the same Foxconn workers who built your Droid?
  • Reply 26 of 54
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

the yellowing is from the tears of foxconn workers that haven't fully evaporated yet.

Foxconn workers are now evaporating?

Evaporating people...

Foxconn...

Fox Mulder...

• Reply 27 of 54
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You mean the same Foxconn workers who built your Droid?

I bet Foxconn didn't make my cheap ass phone that just talks/texts and doesn't waste your life with useless apps.

All those "free" apps are really costing you $360 extra a year in data fees. A simple GPS unit with no monthly fees along with a regular phone replaces just about all the important functionality of data phones, which is finding places on the go.

I guess I'm in the minority of people who don't care to be bothered with checking stupid emails or getting Facebook/Twitter updates every 10 minutes.

And no, I'm not 70 years old, I'm in college.

I'm not sure why I decided to reply to this with an anti-smartphone rant, but I guess I'll go with it. Maybe someday carriers won't charge us triple for using one product, then I'll jump on the bandwagon (there's no reason to have to pay separate for text, voice, and data. It's all digital, and it's all data. VOIP services that work on phones like the N900 cost practically nothing)
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Apple does not make products with defects.

What people are seeing is normal, a result of the manufacturing process.

I'm talking about case cracks in the G4 Cube, btw...
  • Reply 29 of 54
    I have these same marks on my 1st gen iPhone and they don't go away, it's the lights behind the screen, it has even caused bubbles in the glass on the right side.

link to image

• Reply 30 of 54
    appears the link didn't work, trying again-

http://gallery.me.com/theartist2#100151/Photo%201
  • Reply 31 of 54
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

I bet Foxconn didn't make my cheap ass phone that just talks/texts and doesn't waste your life with useless apps.

All those "free" apps are really costing you $360 extra a year in data fees. A simple GPS unit with no monthly fees along with a regular phone replaces just about all the important functionality of data phones, which is finding places on the go.

I guess I'm in the minority of people who don't care to be bothered with checking stupid emails or getting Facebook/Twitter updates every 10 minutes.

And no, I'm not 70 years old, I'm in college.

I'm not sure why I decided to reply to this with an anti-smartphone rant, but I guess I'll go with it. Maybe someday carriers won't charge us triple for using one product, then I'll jump on the bandwagon (there's no reason to have to pay separate for text, voice, and data. It's all digital, and it's all data. VOIP services that work on phones like the N900 cost practically nothing)

So you just waste your life here, posting about things you don't own. SO MUCH BETTER! I hope your mom sends you 20 extra dollars this month, according to the commercial pizza hut has 10 dollar pizzas and college kids love them.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

So you just waste your life here, posting about things you don't own. SO MUCH BETTER! I hope your mom sends you 20 extra dollars this month, according to the commercial pizza hut has 10 dollar pizzas and college kids love them.

Well, that post took me about 3 minutes to write, and I enjoyed writing it because that's what happened to be on my mind. I'm a AppleInsider user since 2004 and a big Apple fan (specifically, Macs); I do own an iPod touch and therefore have firsthand experience on how useless much the extra functionality of the iPhone really is compared to just owning a touch. I've written a lot of praise for the iPhone but I could never justify the cost. I mean, for example, basically every McDonald's in America now has free WiFi at this point (provided by AT&T, perhaps ironically), so if you are traveling, what do you actually need the data plan for? Roads like Rt. 90 through NY have free WiFi at every rest stop. I could go on...

(The Pizza Hut $10 deal sucks. On the rare occasion I eat pizza, I always get Little Caesars Hot-N-Ready $5 pizzas at college, which even taste better IMO. $10 + delivery fee + tip = around $15 for a large...not really a deal at all. Just like $30/month data rates.)

I should look into AT&T's new variable price structure, but I doubt it's a better deal. Telecom companies don't give us better deals without provocation.

Sprint and T-Mobile (if you live in a city where T-Mobile is decent) offer better rates than AT&T and Verizon. The iPhone may be in my future when it is on more than one network so that we can have some healthy competition.

I didn't mean to flame the iPhone, unlike how you meant to insult me, I meant to put things in perspective here: before you buy something because it's cool or because it does something mildly convenient, I think people tend to forget how much our commercial society tried to convince us we need something that doesn't really increase our quality of life. I see you have taken Pizza Hut's suggestions to heart. For $10, I can make myself a complete steak dinner or buy myself a pound of huge sea scallops, but Pizza Hut would like to convince you to buy some flour, cheap tomato sauce, and cheese instead.

Case in point: I have played with the iPad multiple times in store, but have yet to figure out what someone could actually use it for besides toying around with it. And a toy it is; even the search function of kotaku.com didn't work because the iPad didn't have a proper browser, never mind the lack of extension and plugin support. Even with the big screen, no tabbed browsing? I have to fumble through browser windows like IE6? Who would buy a $500 device that didn't come close to matching the functionality of a $300 netbook...unless it was a toy? Sure, the interface is innovative, but it's ruined by the lack of powerful functionality.

Also, EBooks are stupid, they don't cost much less than print, and the whole point of a book is that you don't need to worry about electricity to enjoy yourself. I can get books for free at the library! $500 + the cost of books...no thanks.

There's a reason why Blackberries and PocketPCs were popular far before consumer smartphones. Business users were willing to tolerate the costs and disadvantages of this bleeding edge technology because they actually need it to increase productivity. Today's smartphones are nothing but Facebook and Farmville machines on the go.

Well, there's probably a lot more I could say, but I've let my consciousness stream for too long. I guess having a negative opinion in any way about an Apple product that I have tried and don't want to own qualifies me for insults based on college-kid stereotypes.

- - - -

Edit: As Steve would say, one more thing...Facetime requires WiFi! That's insulting. I already have a laptop with a webcam. Wake me up when we get real cell phone video calling. Apple needs another network.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    "said today that theyw ere involved" - you might want to run a simple spell check before posting an article.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    People were already reporting the problem going away in the Apple support forums last night. Fortunately mine doesn't show any screen problems at all.

Very pleased
  • Reply 35 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Bah!
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

Foxconn workers are a bunch of cry babies and pussies. They are lucky to have a job. This is not slavery. If they don't like the work. QUIT and go learn how to farm.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:

Problem should self-correct quickly then. They all got a raise last week.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheArtist View Post

I have these same marks on my 1st gen iPhone and they don't go away, it's the lights behind the screen, it has even caused bubbles in the glass on the right side.

link to image

Different glass, different type of screen and much more have nothing in common, other than color, to your scenario.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    lkrupp: i don't own a droid. i got a couple of iphones today [my 4th and my wife's 1st], and if i could have paid twice as much for phones made in the United States i would have.

sailor paul: i'm just trying to remind everyone here that their shiny new toys are made by workers whose salaries more than DOUBLED, which may sound sweet, until you realize that it's the equivalent of going from $131 USD per MONTH to $291 USD/month - roughly $1.15 per hour. would you work for that pay in a factory where you stand and do the exact same task twenty thousand times a day?

bunnyturd: unless you have real knowledge of the working conditions in china don't say they have a choice... and trying to farm in Shenzhen is like trying to farm in Manhattan. the population density there is insane.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bunnyturd View Post

Foxconn workers are a bunch of cry babies and pussies. They are lucky to have a job. This is not slavery. If they don't like the work. QUIT and go learn how to farm.

You fool, these days the Foxconn workers have so many other job opportunities to choose from. Broaden you horizon and stop acting like a coward.