Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Comments

• Reply 381 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

So forgetting the diminished bars, how does iphone 4 do as far as making calls, clarity, sending and receiving texts and emails on the 3 g network? There must be a lot of people switching from the 3gs unit. I have barely heard mention of how the new phone compares in any of these aspects. Is the new phone better or worse?

I reserved my iPhone 4 for pick up at my local Apple Store (Richmond, VA). I got there at 5:45 this morning and was still about 80th in the Reservation line! While waiting for the grand opening, I read a lot about the issues with diminishing bars, lost signals, dropped calls, and yellow spots on screens. I was seriously starting to get worried. One of the Apple reps confirming reservations in the line assured me that they hadn't noticed any problems with any of their display units.

Once I got inside, unveiled my iPhone 4, and got it activated, I immediately started scrutinizing the screen. I thought I might have seen some discoloration, but I wasn't sure. I rebooted the iPhone just to be sure (something I'd read mentioned that rebooting resolved the issue). Either rebooting solved the problem or I had only seen what I'd been spooked into seeing, because I haven't noticed any discoloration since (if it was ever there to begin with)!

My iPhone 4 is PERFECT!

Bars fluctuate, but that was true of my other iPhones as well (still have the original and my 3G). Richmond, VA is pretty well-covered by AT&T, so dropped calls haven't been an issue for a while (since iPhone OS 2.0.2 and a new cell tower went up near my house about a year ago).

My iPhone 3G was barely able to run iOS 4, and even before upgrading it would struggle to a crawl and crash with some of my apps. My iPhone 4 screams! It's ridiculously fast at everything! iOS 4 is simply stunning. Rock solid. Smooth. Polished. Incredibly well thought out.

I've had no dropped calls. My Jawbone bluetooth actually stays paired with the iPhone 4 consistently, whereas it would routinely lose connection with my iPhone 3G. Email, web browsing, texting is all effortless and beautiful because everything appears so razor sharp!

Though I like the industrial look of the bare iPhone 4, I did buy a Bumper. I'm part of the "gotta have a case" crowd and already intended to get a black Bumper, but after reading about the possible antennae/reception issue, getting a Bumper just made sense. I like understated cases anyway, so Apple's minimalist black Bumper is right up my alley: stylish and functional.

Even with the Bumper installed, my iPhone 4 is still dramatically thinner than my iPhone 3G (in its InCase case). Being flat on both sides, the iPhone 4 feels a little unfamiliar in the hand. But the velvety feel of the glass, the beautiful clarity of the Retina Display, and the silky responsiveness of iOS 4 just immediately draws me in!

The iPhone 4 just gorgeous! I'm so glad I avoided the iPhone 3GS. It's a fine iPhone I'm sure (certainly more capable than my iPhone 3G), but the iPhone 4 sets a new standard for smartphones in the same way Avatar set a new standard for sci-fi F/X movies.

iPhone 4 is amazing! And I've got one! FTW!!
  • Reply 382 of 445
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Rubber bumper solves the problem, however it does ruin the 'sleekness' and 'feel' of the phone. Lets see how Apple handles this
  • Reply 383 of 445
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

So purchase a friggin' Bumper and "problem" solved!

Seriously.... how did some of you manage to get this far in life?

By not getting cheated.
  • Reply 384 of 445
    My buddy bought a iphone 4. I have a 3gs.

as a phone the 3gs and iphone 4 seem the exact same in speed as far as running apps etc. 0 difference.

The picture quality on the iphone 4 is phenomenal compared to the 3gs. I was really suprised but his screen you could not see a pixel period no matter how hard you tried. now Im not really a phone expert but compared to the 3gs at least.. quite impressive and highly noticable. I didn't realize my screen sucked before.. now Im noticing how much it does comparitivly...

His phone was totally sporadic with signal.. just sitting in one place he would lose it. get 5 bars.. slowly drop down to none etc... Im on another carrier so I couldn't tell you how my phone would have compared in that respect.. with my carrier I get 5 bars all the time.

The last thing I noticed is I did not like the way it felt in my hand. too boxy er rectangly... The 3gs fits comfortably .. his phone not so comfortably. maybe just takes time to get used too.
  • Reply 385 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dksmidtx View Post

I think this may be in the OS - I upgraded my 3Gs to iOS4, and now it shows fewer bars (sometimes only 1) in several rooms of my house and at the office, but can still receive/send calls. The bars also randomly decrease and increase without moving locations (or switching hands - ha ha). Anyone else with 3Gs seeing this?

Nope, iPhone 3GS on iOS4 seems good so far. Except for (to me) the weird design of how multitasking works.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

...saddened...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Well then, Ireland, don't buy it. Let someone else have the piece you are so desperately craving. I'll continue to enjoy my better than 3GS call quality.

It's just saddening. It's hard to describe. People like Ireland and myself, we've been on this Apple train for a long time before the iPhone sent Apple up into the stratosphere. My MacBook Aluminium has had some issues which has taken weeks to resolve, the iPhone4 was supposed to be fantastic but now may have some issue, lack of iPads to go around. I'm not hatin' just sayin'... It's a funny feeling... Like you want to fly with all the Apple goodness but sometimes the reality bites you and drags you to the ground.
  • Reply 386 of 445
    Quote:

Worse, if you hold it wrong. lol

It depends on the signal strength. Using Speed Test, I got the same data rate no matter how I held the phone in a strong signal strength area. At home, my signal strength is less so I can see more variation in the bars indication. However, I actually got a faster download speed by holding the iPhone "wrong". At home, I see the bars go from full to one, all without touching the iPhone. If you are on the edge, you'll get poor reception, just like any other wireless phone. Small changes may make a noticeable difference in a weak RF field.
  • Reply 387 of 445
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    http://gizmodo.com/5572279/apples-ac...d-it-like-that

Seems like a strange response from apple... legit?
  • Reply 388 of 445
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    dbl post
  • Reply 389 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...As I've stated ad nauseum there will be bad units as this is CE, but to claim that this is a design flaw and troll forums, even ones not relating to the issue, trying to incite readers is complete BS. But he seems to like to get all wound up for no reason as I recall he did the same thing about the Magic Mouse.

I'm trying not to get emotionally worked up... That's my personal "design flaw". That said, this issue needs clarification, for sure. As for the Magic Mouse, I have to say it looks great, but aside from cosmetics it just doesn't do it for me. The tracking is weird, it's not like a reasonable-quality Logitech. Secondly, you still have to lift up your finger on the left side to right-click with another finger on the right side. Ordinary mice with those detestable (to Apple) buttons and seams, well, I can right-click while having as many fingers as I want on the mouse. I can't get swipe working either. Anyways, Magic Mouse is straying off topic.

End of the day, let's try to stay focused. Anyway solipsism we'll need some sort of balance through your postings, so appreciate you hanging around.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

A thought just occurred to me: How embarrassing would it be for someone to start up a phone call right after buying one of these then have the call dropped as your walking out the door in front of all the other suckers in line for this thing. How pissed would you be? Would you say oh well and keep walking, or would you say oh hell no lol

Man, I would be shocked. Emotional.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Oh, also that it will take a hell of a lot longer than "several weeks" to "roll a new hardware revision". Testing the solution must be robust, and the FCC may need to do a re-qualifying process (not sure about the latter). Regardless, the internal testing will be robust, and meanwhile, several weeks worth of inventory is churning through the factories now. They will sell those down and offer free bumpers.

I would find it absolutely infuriating that Apple pride themselves on such brilliant, obsessive design quality, and then, oops, bumpers for everyone! Too bad!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I took mine out to test this in various locations, but I seem to have lost it. Last time I saw it, I had it in a bar near Redwood City. Anyone had any problems in that location?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibuzz View Post

I dunno, which bar?

LOL yeah... was it a German bar?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

You don't have any way to know that. Not whether it will be minor, major, or otherwise. There are not enough facts yet.

There are definitely not enough facts yet. This definitely smacks of the "Apple is d00med" hype alongside every major product launch. But there may be a real issue that needs to be solved somehow. It is not inconceivable that Apple in trying to fulfill demand, and with their focus so strongly on design and software, may have missed something in hardware testing and manufacturing QA. That said, clearly the issue is not affecting everyone. Which is good for being able to isolate the issue. You can compare two phones.
  • Reply 390 of 445
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

It depends on the signal strength. Using Speed Test, I got the same data rate no matter how I held the phone in a strong signal strength area. At home, my signal strength is less so I can see more variation in the bars indication. However, I actually got a faster download speed by holding the iPhone "wrong". At home, I see the bars go from full to one, all without touching the iPhone. If you are on the edge, you'll get poor reception, just like any other wireless phone. Small changes may make a noticeable difference in a weak RF field.

Yes, I just got 3.9 mbps down and 567 kbps up holding it in my left hand. Cupping the whole thing to drop 2 bars and I got 3.5 mbps down and 573 kbps up.

That's not too bad given that the Evo was seen doing 3.5Mbps in Philly.

"but we were never able to record anything faster than 3,500 kbps using two speed tests: the FCC Broadband Test and Ookla's Speed Test (both are available as free downloads from the Android Market)."

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...tery-life.html

"The speed tests I ran regularly during my stay in Philadelphia all hovered around the 3Mb down/1Mb up mark. "

http://www.neowin.net/news/review-htc-evo-4g

maybe philly sucks or something.

Here's a screencap (click for readable size):

Amusingly that bad run was with 5 bars holding it righty.
  • Reply 391 of 445
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Where I live, Speedtest normally yields very roughly 1.6M down and 0.5M up.

As soon as I invoke the iPhone 4 death grip (more like a touch), the transfer speed dives. If I invoke the death grip before starting the test, Speedtest sits forever at the ping test. As soon as I release, the test moves along and the reported ping time is roughly the length of time I held the death grip.
  • Reply 392 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yes, I just got 3.9 mbps down and 567 kbps up holding it in my left hand. Cupping the whole thing to drop 2 bars and I got 3.5 mbps down and 573 kbps up.

I got 2800 kbps here in Orange County, CA. Didn't matter how I held the phone in a solid 5 bars area.
  • Reply 393 of 445
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

A MacRumors poster whom Jobs initially emailed called into Apple Tech Support to just tell them about the issue.

And the hits just keep on comin'!

The unfortunate dark side of Apple. The only company who can beat apple is themselves.
  • Reply 394 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

This is where you call Apple to get a new phone,

that has the coating on the antenna band,

that prevents the contact,

that diminishes the signal,

that drops the call,

that makes you sad

Now everybody, second verse...same as the first

Sing it with a little jiggedy jig... Come on, y'all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

lol i just saw a comment on a youtube vid that said this was a special treat from the dead foxconn employees

ah, the internet.

Damn, there is definitely no accounting for taste with YouTube comments.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Athyna.sc View Post

Like I said in my other post... I tried to replicate this iPhone4 issue on the iPhone 3gs..and it does it on the 3GS too....so it can't all be because of the new antenna design...because the 3gs is shielded is it not..both phones..if u cover the bottom left corner...of the phone with your palm as illustrated, you still get the reduction of bars. I do not know where the antenna in the 3gs is..all I did was tried the same thing i did on the iPhone4 ...on the iPhone 3gs.

PLEASE, SOMEONE ELSE TRY IT AND TELL ME THE RESULT!

NOPE I GOT NO PROBLEMS WITH THE IPHONE3GS. Which ever way I hold it. The antenna in the 3GS is the entire chrome bezel, AFAIK.

Quote:

This. Is. Disgraceful.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...re-holding-th/

If it is real, IF, well, let's just say my perception of Apple changes ever yet further.
  • Reply 395 of 445
    dimitrisdimitris Posts: 32member
    I tested the "signal death grip" with my iPhone 3gs and it also has the same issue with the iPhone 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXpGGrB_hg

The interesting thing though is that even though the phone has no signal at all

when I make a call the signal goes back up even though I still hold it with the "signal death grip"!!

If I let go of the grip the signal goes back up even further.

So I don't really know what to think but maybe it's a software issue after all?
  • Reply 396 of 445
    <-----is kind of glad she decided to wait until the dust settled.....

Still enjoying my 3GS which works perfectly. I'll wait until this is fixed and I can hold my phone any way I see fit.
  • Reply 397 of 445
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Whatever it is it's not a design flaw. It happened to 3G and 3GS as well and it didn't happen to every 4s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehL4z__G-o

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=950228
  • Reply 398 of 445
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Whatever it is it's not a design flaw. It happened to 3G and 3GS as well and it didn't happen to every 4s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehL4z__G-o

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=950228

Many phones have this trouble. With the iPhone 4 that problem has been exacerbated. You can now consistently go from 5 bars to no service because you are directly interfering the antenna. You no longer even have to hold the iPhone. You just have to have your finger covering that area.
  • Reply 399 of 445
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Many phones have this trouble. With the iPhone 4 that problem has been exacerbated. You can now consistently go from 5 bars to no service because you are directly interfering the antenna. You no longer even have to hold the iPhone. You just have to have your finger covering that area.

It's a problem for some but not all of 4s affected, hence not a design flaw like some suggested in this thread. Maybe it's not all hardware's.
  • Reply 400 of 445
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

It's a problem for some but not all of 4s affected, hence not a design flaw like some suggested in this thread. Maybe it's not all hardware's.

Maybe, as some have suggested, that there some kind of missing coating on these iPhones. That being said, if all you need to interrupt a signal is a finger over that band then it's a hardware problem. As of right now, I see a heck of a lot more videos and problems reported from respectable websites than I do of people having no problems.

It may not all be hardware but software can only fix so much. As of right Apple is stating there is no problems other than the way the user is holding it. If it was just software they would have said, like they have in the past, a fix was coming.