Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

Comments

• Reply 61 of 444
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    As SJ says it is the same with other phones, see MacRumors lead article at this moment in time

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/...l-loss-issues/
  • Reply 62 of 444
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Sounds like a delay tactic to me until they figure out what is really going on and what it will take to fix it.

Why would tape not work if rubber does?

Tape does work if applied on the right spot. But not buying an iPhone 4 works better.
  • Reply 63 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Every cellphone has severe reception problems if you hold it in you left hand.

The iPhone is exactly the same as every other phone in this regard.

No matter how may times you repeat this crap doesn't make it true. What are you going to say when Apple does actually fix this issue? You're full of shit.
  • Reply 64 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They aren't admitting their mistake because they didn't make one. All cell phones have potential issues with how you hold them. .

That's so cute!

• Reply 65 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Apple doesn't fix this issue, on a hardware level I suggest you don't buy an iPhone. Their response is rubbing every normal person the wrong way. It's disgusting.

Wow, you really have become a '... censored...' these days.
  • Reply 66 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I like how they use the word "gripping" as opposed to holding or touching. Nice spin Apple. It's true, I can get my RAZR to do the same thing... but I have to put it in a two-handed full coverage death grip to get it to drop from 5 to 3 bars. In the iPhone 4 videos, it seems that just holding the phone normally can make it drop from 5 bars to 0. Kind of a big deal Apple. There's "attenuation" from "gripping" and then there is complete loss of signal from holding the thing normally.

Well put.
  • Reply 67 of 444
    Quote:

It DOES just work, if you hold it properly! This is a non-issue. Every cellphone on the planet has this exact same "issue".

Exactly ...this has links to YouTube samples

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/...l-loss-issues/
  • Reply 68 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No matter how may times you repeat this crap doesn't make it true. What are you going to say when Apple does actually fix this issue? You're full of shit.

Why are you taking his bait?
  • Reply 69 of 444
    Quote:

No, I heard it from a completely reliable source:

"Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance"..."Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

See? No problem exists!

This is a non issue. It does not exist as an issue. No issue here.

Just avoid holding it like a normal cellphone. I mean really! People complain about what Apple products will NOT do, like work when you hold them in your hand, but they completely ignore what they WILL do!

If you leave it flat on the table, the screen is very pretty!

So you are being sarcastic. You trickster, you.
  • Reply 70 of 444
    Quote:

EVERY cellphone does that! "Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance"

The iPhone works the same as every other cellphone. It has NO reception problems.

And all the phones were working fine in the pictures ... Great post.

I can as so can many people hold them that way and they work fine. So go figure ...
  • Reply 71 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I agree! I don't know about anyone else but I do consider this antenna issue to a major design flaw of the iPhone 4. I remember the big applause Steve Jobs got when he highlighted the new design during his keynote. Apple definitely needs to include a free bumper case with all iPhone purchases. Steve Jobs should be embarrassed about this. I know we'll be hearing more from the Apple haters. I hate giving them something legitimate to complain about. I wonder how long it will be until Droid airs a commercial about their "perfect" antenna??

I don't see how you would have given anyone something legitimate to complain about. If it's legit then it should be complained about. I never cared for defending Apple, if the goods are good enough you shouldn't need to.
  • Reply 72 of 444
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    Quote:

It DOES just work, if you hold it properly! This is a non-issue. Every cellphone on the planet has this exact same "issue".

This is an Issue,

I have used Many Motorola phones, two Blackberry's, and even a Nokia. All had one thing in common. I never had to hold them the Proper way as you describe the iPhone 4 requires.

The Proper way to hold a phone is in your hand , if it doesnt work In your hand then its an issue.
  • Reply 73 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magari View Post

The point is that this is a issue with all phones and not only with the iphone. Just cuzz the iphone is selling like hot cakes ppl are making a huge deal out of it.

Especially in Europe where the 3.5 coverage is great this is indeed an absolute non-issue.

It's amazing how much the iPhone gets bashed because it is so popular. When they talk about anything being bad with cellphones...it is always "The iPhone this or that". All phones do the signal loss with hand placement. I have noticed it with all of my iPhone but no one ever said a word about it before. If you cover up an antennae, crap happens. Get over it. They are just making a big deal of it now due to the new type of antennae design.

People love to bitch about anything that dominates the rest. But, they still want it so bad it hurts.

If you don't like how the iPhone acts with hand placement, hold it right, learn to use your right hand (lol), or, JUST BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!! You don't HAVE to buy the iPhone you know.
  • Reply 74 of 444
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    First of all, i have to say i'm glad Apple has come out and admitted there is an issue with the signal when you hold it certain ways. It's always nice to hear it from the horse's proverbial mouth.

Second, I can't say i'm too suprised by the response from Apple as well. Blame it on the technology why don't you?\

For a company that prides itself to provide the most innovative user-freindly products that work every time you use it without problems, to provide products that are well designed, built and perform to the highest level of self scrutany, and for a company headed by a man that nit-picks every minor detail about a device and places the fear of god into it's designers and engineers to perfect it, i'm a little dissapointed by the excuses and solutions brough forth today.

Personally, if i produced a product that is performing to an unsatisfactory level like this after touting my horn a few weeks ago about how fantastically awesome it is, and to read the sleugh of poor reviews about performance; i'd have a hard time living with the excuses given by my company today. Who was this person who gave the official Apple responce? Why wasn't it the man (SJ) himself to come out with the statement?

To blame the technology for (what appears to be) a design flaw (albeit not every phone reacts this way but enough do) is just plain lame and a bit cowardly. Then to provide a band-aid solution is even more cowardly. Apple is one of the most innovative companies out there and to place blame on a technology, when they are innovators of such technology, seems a bit ignorant. If they knew of this issue, why not attempt to be innovative and come up with creative solutions to this "allegedly" known issue? What makes it worse is that the people buying iP4 from today on will have no excuse to complain. Because all the "Geniuses" out there will just throw out a big, fat "we told you so".

Like I said, i'm not suprised by the responce, but it doesn't make it any less dissapointing to hear that they will attempt to do nothing to resolve the problem.

ID 10 T...I hear enough of that at work from my own IT staff and I refuse to accept this from a leader of innovative technology.

I expect to see a new form factor in June 2011. I'm SO glad i waited on a purchase of this new device. My 3G with iOS4 up and running smoothly will sufice for now!
  • Reply 75 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

your a bigger jerk than teck stud ever was

crawl back in your wintel whole dude

apple is doomed

oddly your screen shots came into my apple devices at such a high res i feel apple has done no wrong at all

yes ATT has shit reception in nyc sanfran dallas

99000 posts ago we knew that

i will not buy an iphone until verizon gets on board or apple becomes the gatekeeper for me

That's for calling me a jerk btw. I'll try not to call Apple out on massive design blunders in the future. You're the type of reason PC users hate Mac users. Blind love.

I have loved my iPhone 2G since the day I bought it. Loved it!

The iPhone 4 has a major issue, if you can't admit that your stupid.
  • Reply 76 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

It's amazing how much the iPhone gets bashed because it is so popular. When they talk about anything being bad with cellphones...it is always "The iPhone this or that". All phones do the signal loss with hand placement. I have noticed it with all of my iPhone but no one ever said a word about it before. If you cover up an antennae, crap happens. Get over it. They are just making a big deal of it now due to the new type of antennae design.

People love to bitch about anything that dominates the rest. But, they still want it so bad it hurts.

If you don't like how the iPhone acts with hand placement, hold it right, learn to use your right hand (lol), or, JUST BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!! You don't HAVE to buy the iPhone you know.

*yawn*
  • Reply 77 of 444
    In a matter of weeks millions of iPhone 4' users will be able to report in ... already there are a hell of a lot of them ... so if it is as bad is the trolls want you all to think it is we will see them all being returned. I wonder how many have been returned far?

I am sure Apple may tweak the design slightly, or mod the OS but given this is a common fact for all mobile phones only a troll would be trying to persuade people not to buy iPhones because of this.

The sky is not falling folk,s no matter how much Scotland or whatever his name is wants you to think it is.
  • Reply 78 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

You weren't going to buy an iPhone anyway. So don't try to use this for justification.

That's bollocks. I have the ?600 up stairs in my safe. You have no idea what you're talking about. I love the iPhone 4, but this issue is major, and I will recommend against the iPhone 4 until Apple fixes it.
  • Reply 79 of 444
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I know this all seems to be about the grounding of the antenna, but . . .

I have a bumper on my phone, and all morning it has been dropping calls. (never does that here)

At one point, I pulled the phone from my head and noticed that there were no bars, and almost instantly the bars came back, 1 by 1.

And no, there is not a metal plate in my head.

Also, the sensor seems to not work right, I am always muting the phone while talking on this one, which is problematic.

So, I think this unit has to go back to be exchanged or replaced with a 3Gs.
  • Reply 80 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

In a matter of weeks millions of iPhone 4' users will be able to report in ... already there are a hell of a lot of them ... so if it is as bad is the trolls want you all to think it is we will see them all being returned. I wonder how many have been returned far?

I am sure Apple may tweak the design slightly, or mod the OS but given this is a common fact for all mobile phones only a troll would be trying to persuade people not to buy iPhones because of this.

The sky is not falling folk,s no matter how much Scotland or whatever his name is wants you to think it is.

You're cute. I'm sure your loyalty won't go unnoticed by Apple.