Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

Comments

• Reply 101 of 444
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and the Apple haters are working overtime to make this an issue.

Let's wait a month to see if this dies away or if it stays real.

After 2 million phones are sold we should be able to find out if it's an issue or a non-issue.

There are 2 questions:

1. Is this an issue for the iPhone 4 in general? If it's a design flaw, will it be handled well (corrected and recalled, etc)? If it's a manufacturing flaw, how many units are affected and what are the workarounds (besides contorting yourself to hold it).

2. Is this an issue for the people it's happening to? The answer (speaking as one of those people) is yes. This isn't normal attenuation. It happens in 5-bar places and sends you "Searching..." in under 20 seconds. Then shift your hand up or switch hands and in seconds you get 5 bars back.

So either: 1. This is acceptable for all phones and Apple just happened to make the worst phone ever made in terms of "signal blockage", or 2. There is a problem with the design and/or manufacturing of some number of iPhone 4's that needs to be corrected.
  • Reply 102 of 444
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and the Apple haters are working overtime to make this an issue.

Let's wait a month to see if this dies away or if it stays real.

After 2 million phones are sold we should be able to find out if it's an issue or a non-issue.

First of all, nobody's making this a bigger issue than Apple. They could have chosen a better course than to tell people to not hold the phone wrong. It's a phone, I'll hold it with my feet if I want to.

As to the rest of your post, that's very fair. Many people are reporting that they DON'T have an issue like this, but that flies right in the face of what Apple's saying here isn't it?

No doubt you'll call anyone a troll who tries to open your eyes to how absurd this is though.

Bottom line: If this was any other company besides Apple, it would be the Apple fans jumping all over it in the same way :/
  • Reply 103 of 444
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

God forbid someone might want to actually hold their cell phone they way it was meant to be held. Maybe Apple should have made a phone that a user can not put a hand right over the antenna but they didn't, the screwed up.

Perhaps Stevie needs to man up for once and admit a mistake, oh he doesnt have to because all the fanbois will forgive him regardless.

Borderline trolling.

I'm joking.

I get called a troll a lot around here lately. Which just happened to miraculously occur along with one of the biggest design flaws in Cupertino history.
  • Reply 104 of 444
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i always use a cse, presently its rubberized so it doesn't slip out when calling

awesome phone, can't wait....non issue.....for me.
  • Reply 105 of 444
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    I just read where Apple is going to offer right-handed and left-handed iP4 models.
  • Reply 106 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Sad? Why?

What would you expect from him? Isn't that entirely consistent with his history?

This drum is dead Stevie, stop beating it.
  • Reply 107 of 444
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:

It DOES just work, if you hold it properly! This is a non-issue. Every cellphone on the planet has this exact same "issue".

No they don't! Never seen it before and I have owned many cell phones. Hell my iPhone 3G doesn't do it.
  • Reply 108 of 444
    i saw this at engadget and it gave me a chuckle:

• Reply 109 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I just read where Apple is going to offer right-handed and left-handed iP4 models.

You are joking.
  • Reply 110 of 444
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

... Perhaps Stevie needs to man up for once and admit a mistake, oh he doesnt have to because all the fanbois will forgive him regardless.

Stevie/tekstud never mans up, never admits a mistake. He will switch his argument 180 degrees and fervently deny that he said what he said two posts earlier rather than admit he was wrong. Doesn't everyone remember the time he thought SMS messages magically traveled from phone to phone without going through any carrier infrastructure, then denied he ever said any such thing? I particularly like his habit of posting the same thing over and over again in a thread, hoping to finally hook someone in. Then when he's really caught out, he will tell you to ignore his posts. Hahahahaha.
  • Reply 111 of 444
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You are joking.

Gotcha!
  • Reply 112 of 444
    Quote:

I'm just repeating the TRUTH according to Steve.

Your ambiguity of comment is diluting whatever the hell it is you are tying to do.
  • Reply 113 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

FFC's fault my ass. This iPhone has this issue worse than previous iPhones, the FFC's rules haven't changed. He's an antenna engineer and he still bought an iPhone 4? He's one dumb antenna engineer.

Another antenna guy had a story two weeks back that predicted it, the link in over on digg.

Actually, the article that was quoted in your reply above was pretty interesting. It makes sense. Especially where the guy says he voted with his dollars. Now, back to if you don't like it, buy an Android phone or whatever suits you. Nobody is forcing people to buy the iPhone. Hell, buy a 3Gs that they are still selling. It amazes me how it did the EXACT SAME THING with its antennae and nobody bitched. I just learned that holding it certain ways caused my data transfer to slow down. So, I stopped holding it that way. Problem was fixed.

My iPhone 4 is great. It loses bars when I hold it a certain way just like the gripe goes. It still makes and receives calls fine. What's funny is that I am at work in a metal building where all cell signal disappears. We call it the black hole for cell phones. My buddy keeps having to pick his Verizon phone up when it rings and sprint to the front door to talk. I am sitting here making/receiving calls sitting down with no problems.

Keep bitching people. I'll keep enjoying my kick ass new phone! HAHAHA!
  • Reply 114 of 444
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Wouldn't painting the stainless steel fix the problem? Therefore preventing skin contact with metal.
  • Reply 115 of 444
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

No doubt you'll call anyone a troll who tries to open your eyes to how absurd this is though.

Bottom line: If this was any other company besides Apple, it would be the Apple fans jumping all over it in the same way :/

... and you are a bigger a_ _ hole than I had originally thought.
  • Reply 116 of 444
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Personally, I'm just waiting for the Otterbox case for the new iP4. Once that one comes out, the bumper goes back and that goes on. Really need to get one for my 3GS also. Just need to go check out where I can get one, and the colors. Not really a big fan of white which is the only color I've actually seen so far.
  • Reply 117 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Stevie/tekstud never mans up, never admits a mistake. He will switch his argument 180 degrees and fervently deny that he said what he said two posts earlier rather than admit he was wrong. Doesn't everyone remember the time he thought SMS messages magically traveled from phone to phone without going through any carrier infrastructure, then denied he ever said any such thing? I particularly like his habit of posting the same thing over and over again in a thread, hoping to finally hook someone in. Then when he's really caught out, he will tell you to ignore his posts. Hahahahaha.

I can't ignore him, you need some retards around to spice up the forum.
  • Reply 118 of 444
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

i saw this at engadget and it gave me a chuckle:

I was so confused about this issue till Mr. Jobs told me what to think.
  • Reply 119 of 444
    Quote:

I'll say what Steve says. I trust his honesty.

You can do what you want, no one cares.
  • Reply 120 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Wouldn't painting the stainless steel fix the problem? Therefore preventing skin contact with metal.

This is what I thought immediately. In fact, for a little while it was speculated that maybe there was a coating step that was skipped in the production of some units.