Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

Comments

• Reply 121 of 444
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Actually, the article that was quoted in your reply above was pretty interesting. It makes sense. Especially where the guy says he voted with his dollars.

That's one of the parts that doesn't make sense.

Quote:

So, what's an iPhone lover to do? Well, I voted with my dollars. I ordered my iPhone 4 to replace my Original. I already know how to do the Vulcan Antenna Grip on the iPhone, and I am wearing out my current model.

What an idiot.
  • Reply 122 of 444
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and the Apple haters are working overtime to make this an issue.

Let's wait a month to see if this dies away or if it stays real.

After 2 million phones are sold we should be able to find out if it's an issue or a non-issue.

You can sell 2 million phones but that does not mean it is a non issue, as Richard would say, Apple "could sell a ketchup Popsicle to a girl in white gloves". There are so many fanbois out there it doesn't matter and Apple knows it, they will make there money and the customer can pound sand and there is nothing you can do about it because the fanbois will keep buying regardless of how bad it is, they will make excuses over and over, just read through this thread.
  • Reply 123 of 444
    dypdyp Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They aren't admitting their mistake because they didn't make one. All cell phones have potential issues with how you hold them.

And the fact that there's not 100% reports of this 'mistake' shows that it's not all about the design. Some of it could be user error. Some of it could also just be shitty ATT coverage in the area. In fact several of the folks that I saw making reports of this 'major design flaw' admitted that they 'have never had great ATT service in the area'. Well geez Beav could that be the issue and not the phone at all. perhaps.

Apple can not be responsible for those that put a hand right over the antennas, after they told folks that that's what the band is. they can't be responsible for those that drop or lose their phones or get them wet etc. No more than any other company. If this was an Android, Rim etc we wouldn't be hearing about it. Because it's Apple all 'flaws' are suddenly a huge thing.

Perhaps the mistake they need to correct is this media obsession with painting them as perfect so then folks will stop with the expectations.

Why should Apple get a free hall pass for this mistake? What would you say if this problem was found on a MSFT phone? I disagree that nobody would be complaining if this happened on Android or RIM. I don't think their CEO would tell users that they are holding their phone wrong which is pretty much a middle finger to their own customers.
  • Reply 124 of 444
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

EVERY cellphone does that! "Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance"

Yes, "some" attenuation. But the problem here is that there is evidence of their being far, far more than "some"! Are there any other cell phones available today where the antenna is external where it can come in direct contact with your hand? Have you ever touched a TV or radio antenna and had it affect reception? Direct contact is a problem!

This was one of the first things I wondered when I saw the design. Yes, putting the antenna on the outside of the case will help reception, just like the old-school phones with extendable antennas. But it also exposes it to interference from objects that it comes in contact with. What if the phone is in my pocket with coins or keys. Could that short the gap between the antennas and cause reception problems, too?

It's becoming obvious that Apple may not have done enough testing on this one. If the new glass front an back are radio transparent, they should have just left the antennas inside the damn case.
  • Reply 125 of 444
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Every cell phone does exactly the same thing. It is a fact of life.

Keep smoking that pop pipe, Sonny.
  • Reply 126 of 444
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and you are a bigger a_ _ hole than I had originally thought.

I am an asshole but that doesn't matter here.

This is just as ridiculous as when HTC said phones don't go in pockets. You think I was mute then? The HTC diehards did exactly what you're seeing here: They actually tried to justify the statement. "Well they really shouldn't go in pockets. That's why you get a holster!" like cmon, give me a break.
  • Reply 127 of 444
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And all the phones were working fine in the pictures ... Great post.

I can as so can many people hold them that way and they work fine. So go figure ...

It must be from users with hands as dense as their heads because mine and everyone I know across several countries have zero issues when holding the iPhone in their left hand.

I've tried placing keys on it, tried using moist, salt covered fingers and everything else under the sun to see if it's the "design flaw that affects everyone and will result in a class action lawsuit and a recall of every iPhone 4' that Ireland suggests.

I did have one friend whose phone was DOA. He walked into an Apple Store, bypassing the line, and was able to get a new one immediately. They opened it up, activated it and tested it before he left. I posed this question yesterday but received no answer, "If he made a video and put it on YouTube of his iPhone 4 being DOA would that indicate that all iPhone 4's are DOA, that's it's a design flaw affecting all devices, that Apple should recall all iPhones or risk a class action lawsuit?" It's clear I was engaging in reductio ad absurdum but that's not why I didn't receive an answer to my query.
  • Reply 128 of 444
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you are being sarcastic. You trickster, you.

No, he's an annoying troll trying to up his post count.
  • Reply 129 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Wouldn't painting the stainless steel fix the problem? Therefore preventing skin contact with metal.

I bet it would and probably look good. Problem is that the locations that are causing the issues are the locations most touched, paint may wear very quickly but not a bad idea. Of course Apple would have to re-call all the phones with issues, paint them and also go back and paint the ones already produced. It is just easier to blame the user.
  • Reply 130 of 444
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

This reminds me of the puck mouse. Looked pretty, but the cursor would shoot off at crazy angles all the time if you were not holding it just right. So it looked pretty but was basically useless as a mouse.

Yeah, and look at how long they clung to that before admitting it was a bad decision.

Apple has made some design mis-steps in recent years and then reverted back to older designs in the next upgrade cycle (the fat nano comes to mind). But while this issues is still being understood, at first blush this could be their biggest design foul up in many years.
  • Reply 131 of 444
    al1al1 Posts: 1member
    I'd post a video, but I'm too lazy. I just tried holding my 3GS the same way (without case). From full 5 bars on Rogers in Canada, it drops 2 bars when I hold it in the bottom left corner. Perhaps on AT&T it would go from 3 or 4 bars to a dropped call.... who knows. Perhaps all this over blown?
  • Reply 132 of 444
    The only phone I have seen this on is my iPhone 2G and iPhone 3GS. (But they generally only loose 1 or 2 bars when held in hand, doesn't drop from full bars to no service).

Otherwise I have had several Nokias, HTC, and Sony Ericsson phones. None of them would loose signal. As a geek, I play with my phones alot in my hand (even back in the day when they weren't smart, I was always messing with settings).
  • Reply 133 of 444
    Oh yeah, for all you blind diehards that think Apple can do no wrong, Stevie has this new flute he would like you to play, it is skin colored but trust him, it is a real instrument.
  • Reply 134 of 444
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    This is a total non-issue. Nobody who uses an iPhone expects to make phone calls.

Except data transmission is affected too.
  • Reply 135 of 444
    Here's another one for you apologists -- get to work!

http://gizmodo.com/5572624/the-lates...volume-buttons
  • Reply 136 of 444
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Keep smoking that pop pipe, Sonny.

I have solved the problem of holding the iPhone!

Now, everyone's going to be able to hold their iPhone 4 any way they like. Miracle of miracles!

Apple should "hand" out around 5 million of these to start, left handed only! Problem fixed!

• Reply 137 of 444
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    I will add to the count of those NOT having the antenna problem. I am in the Dallas area and typically run from 3-5 bars (pretty much consistent since my original 2G). With the 4G, indicated signal strength seems to run a tad higher than on my spouse's 3G. As the antenna issue had already been posted before I picked up my pre-ordered 4G at RS yesterday morning, I immediately tried the finger/hand test and could not duplicate. I figured that I must be in an area with super strong signal, so I have been trying it periodically as a move around (ie into areas of indicated lower signal strength). I have tried with my entire left palm contacting the suspect area as well as my finger or thumb. Regardless of conditions (ie dry or wet), I get a brief momentary drop of about one bar and then a rebound back to the original level.

I did get an Incipio silicone jacket for my 4G at time of purchase and with it, I have yet to detect any drop in indicated signal strength. So, while I will not begin to deny that many are seeing an issue with the new antenna design, my particular 4G appears to not be plagued with whatever is the underlying cause.
  • Reply 138 of 444
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Please let Motorola be working on a new commercial, emergency rush - 24/7.

I just can't wait to see it:

"Hold your phone in your left hand? Droid does" ... 20 second fade of iPhone 4 in left hand going from 5 bars to no service.

Please, oh please Moto be working on this, not because I like Droid but to force Apple to react in the right way.
  • Reply 139 of 444
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

So either: 1. This is acceptable for all phones and Apple just happened to make the worst phone ever made in terms of "signal blockage", or 2. There is a problem with the design and/or manufacturing of some number of iPhone 4's that needs to be corrected.

You're right.

I should have said "we'll find out how big this issues is after a month".

Obviously there are some phones that have a problem.

In a month we'll know if this is a really large issue and a recall or if it's a smaller issue where a few people need a replacement.
  • Reply 140 of 444
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    This does seem to be a serious problem, but this article has a REALLY misleading headline.

If you're going to say "APPLE SAYS", you damn better well follow it up with something they actually said, not a paraphrase or spin on it.

Correct me if I missed something, but neither Jobs nor apple has said anyone is holding the phone "wrong". That would be some really ill-chosen wording if that's what they said...but they didn't, did they?