iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android: hardware features

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 207
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You must not get out into the gym much

Every gym with TV's and cardio machines in front of them all have headphone jacks. They are standard jacks. I've never heard anyone complain that they damaged their headphones in some way in all the years and all the gyms I've been through over the years. It's also a national chain. I doubt seriously they are that different by state.

Well reviews of 24 HR Fitness note some locations have headphones and some have FM radio. I've belonged to Bally's forever and they have FM. Eitherway it isn't some sort of foreign of unheard of notion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not my gym (actually, both of the gyms I've used in the past 3 years are set up the same way). There are 5 or 6 TVs set up and each of them has an FM transmitter set to a different station. You can watch any of the TVs simply by tuning your FM radio to a given station.

I agree that FM would be nice to have, but not if there's a significant penalty in size, battery life, cost, etc.

Considering the chip is already in the iPhone and also considering it is also in the Nano there really shouldn't be any issue.
  • Reply 202 of 207
    You know, this is one of those assumptions that I have kept reading out there, but it is one that needs to be blown up for the sake of honesty.

It is clear after seeing a few videos in which the 3GS, 4 and iPad were all featured that the A4 in the iPhone 4 IS NOT running at 1 ghz as it is in the iPad. There have been several charts I've seen generated where it is claimed this is so and people were willing to presume it because Apple made it happen in the iPad so why not the iPhone of course.

Except clearly they haven't. Based off the comparisons I've seen between the three, I'd put the A4 in the iPhone at around 800 mhz.

I see this as troubling for a couple reasons. One, outside of the nonsensical realm of trying excessively hard to differentiate product categories, there is no reason to have the slower processor in the iPhone 4. Secondly, if Apple follows prior precedent, this is what we are getting for the year folks. Finally in videos I have seen already comparing the 1ghz snapdragon chip and the iPhone 4, the iPhone is just smidgen slower. This is from phones like the EVO and DroidX that are still running 2.1 when it is clear 2.2 will be even faster and available soon.

Yes, I know the standard retorts.. app store, iTunes, total package, no one would give up their preferred platform over microseconds difference, etc.. Hello it's a thread bout hardware features dang it.

However the deeper issue with regard to this is the fact that Android and the other hardware folks slapping it into all their phones aren't going to wait a year. If there is a dual core 1.2 snapdragon chip available in November, you're going to have it in your hand in January, not June.

We all understand megapixels, isn't the only consideration, mhz or even ghz isn't the only true comparison of phone speed, it's all about the apps baby, etc. However to me like although the iPhone 4 is great and better than anything else out there right now, this will be the year that is only true for four months and that is troubling. We've seen Android advancing and for the first couple attempts, you could see Apple's next gen product easily rebutting what was put out there. 2010 was the first year we spent several months noting the 3GS and saying, just wait til June.

What are we going to do if it is October, and we are standing around saying, just wait until next June.
  • Reply 203 of 207
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Except clearly they haven't. Based off the comparisons I've seen between the three, I'd put the A4 in the iPhone at around 800 mhz.

Spooky!
  • Reply 204 of 207
    We even have the same timestamp solipsism! Wow!
  • Reply 205 of 207
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You know, this is one of those assumptions that I have kept reading out there, but it is one that needs to be blown up for the sake of honesty.

It is clear after seeing a few videos in which the 3GS, 4 and iPad were all featured that the A4 in the iPhone 4 IS NOT running at 1 ghz as it is in the iPad. There have been several charts I've seen generated where it is claimed this is so and people were willing to presume it because Apple made it happen in the iPad so why not the iPhone of course.

I see this as troubling for a couple reasons. One, outside of the nonsensical realm of trying excessively hard to differentiate product categories, there is no reason to have the slower processor in the iPhone 4. Secondly, if Apple follows prior precedent, this is what we are getting for the year folks. Finally in videos I have seen already comparing the 1ghz snapdragon chip and the iPhone 4, the iPhone is just smidgen slower. This is from phones like the EVO and DroidX that are still running 2.1 when it is clear 2.2 will be even faster and available soon.

Yes, I know the standard retorts.. app store, iTunes, total package, no one would give up their preferred platform over microseconds difference, etc.. Hello it's a thread bout hardware features dang it.

However the deeper issue with regard to this is the fact that Android and the other hardware folks slapping it into all their phones aren't going to wait a year. If there is a dual core 1.2 snapdragon chip available in November, you're going to have it in your hand in January, not June.

We all understand megapixels, isn't the only consideration, mhz or even ghz isn't the only true comparison of phone speed, it's all about the apps baby, etc. However to me like although the iPhone 4 is great and better than anything else out there right now, this will be the year that is only true for four months and that is troubling. We've seen Android advancing and for the first couple attempts, you could see Apple's next gen product easily rebutting what was put out there. 2010 was the first year we spent several months noting the 3GS and saying, just wait til June.

What are we going to do if it is October, and we are standing around saying, just wait until next June.

Snapdragon shouldnt be a threat. The 1ghz omap processor in the droid x might be though, it beats every phone on Android except the 2.2 Nexus while running on 2.1. The speed boost on 2.2 is pretty amazing. the evo has the same processor as the nexus, yet only gets 5 mflops compared to ~34+mflops for the Nexus one on 2.2. Droidx 2.1 gets about 8 mflops.

Droid X smokes them both on graphics based things. Too bad I'm not really feeling it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilx_c...layer_embedded
  • Reply 206 of 207
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

Snapdragon shouldnt be a threat. The 1ghz omap processor in the droid x might be though, it beats every phone on Android except the 2.2 Nexus while running on 2.1. The speed boost on 2.2 is pretty amazing. the evo has the same processor as the nexus, yet only gets 5 mflops compared to ~34+mflops for the Nexus one on 2.2. Droidx 2.1 gets about 8 mflops.

Droid X smokes them both on graphics based things. Too bad I'm not really feeling it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilx_c...layer_embedded

The performance change between v2.1 and 2.2 seems extreme enough to be more than an x.1 upgrade. However, the real world usage difference seems to be nil between switching screens and opening most apps. Browser certainly loads faster on heavy pages and I'm sure games are more efficient but I'd like to see the OS feel more responsive for the user. After all, that is the part that counts for most people.

PS: The responsiveness between iPhone 4 and the 3GS running v4.0 running is pretty slight itself. I can see a definite difference with side-by-side comparisons, and of course anything with internet access is faster due to the HW, but overall the iPhone 4 doesn't seem feel much faster than the 3GS.
  • Reply 207 of 207
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The performance change between v2.1 and 2.2 seems extreme enough to be more than an x.1 upgrade. However, the real world usage difference seems to be nil between switching screens and opening most apps. Browser certainly loads faster on heavy pages and I'm sure games are more efficient but I'd like to see the OS feel more responsive for the user. After all, that is the part that counts for most people.

PS: The responsiveness between iPhone 4 and the 3GS running v4.0 running is pretty slight itself. I can see a definite difference with side-by-side comparisons, and of course anything with internet access is faster due to the HW, but overall the iPhone 4 doesn't seem feel much faster than the 3GS.

I haven't used an official 2.2 copy yet, just a ported version developers set up on the Droid. In my experience App launching with Android is a sort of a mixed bag. The same app, even within the same day, can have an extremely fast or slow launch time. Overclocking my droid from 550mhz-1ghz, I still experience that hang when loading up the full app list in the built in task manager. Again, I haven't tested a real version to confirm if it was fixed, and this could also be due to the fact that this port was released before the source code was, but the hang time remaining the same IMO points to a software issue. I can definitely agree that Android, in the areas you mentioned, needs to feel more responsive.

From what I've read about the Droid X the speed is really noticeable compared to other Android phones(even without 2.2) but reporters still speak of some "jittery" nature to the OS--Verizon stated this isn't the official OS version but I also think some of that jittery nature is just Android itself--just from my experiences. I'm hoping 2.2 makes this even better. In the past year Android has really shaped itself up to be a rising competitor, at least in my opinion.