Glass back of iPhone 4 review unit collects 'incredibly minor' scratches

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I think the flat nature of the new iPhone's back is gonna opt for a lot of scratches all over the back.

There will probably be coating for the back, as there has been for the front.
  • Reply 102 of 109
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I was planning to use mine as a shield in my part time work as a superhero crime fighter. If it can't stop armor-piercing rounds, then I have no use for it.

Meanwhile, my $400 prosumer digital camera fell the full 18 inches from my knee to the ground and it looks like someone hit the display with a ball-peen hammer.

ahahha, priceless post.

I too have rhetorical question, why does every scratch test have to be performed by morons who throw phones on walls?
  • Reply 103 of 109
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I think the flat nature of the new iPhone's back is gonna opt for a lot of scratches all over the back.

There will probably be coating for the back, as there has been for the front.

According to product documentation, both the front and back glass have an oleophobic coating. However, it's only really good for resisting oils and fingerprints. It won't offer any real protection to the glass in any way, and the coating will probably wear off over time, anyway.
  • Reply 104 of 109
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

For those of you who DO keep their devices wrapped in a case to prevent scratches: Do you periodically take it out and stare at it and admire its scratchless purity?

I'm just trying to understand. I never got the plastic sofa slipcovers either, if that helps explain where I'm coming from...

When it comes to the iPhone, I have two words for you to live by: RESALE VALUE.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Wait a few months. They'll be $4.99 at every mall kiosk.

Of course, for a rubber ring, that's still overpriced.

At least you should get a pack of 6 for $29.
  • Reply 106 of 109
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    If that's the worst then I'm impressed. Kudos to Apple.
  • Reply 107 of 109
    I've had my iPhone 4 since the 23rd and have been exceptionally careful with it. It hasn't even left my apartment. I softly place it down on tables. I had it resting softly on my iMac stand as I worked.

Guess what? I have a scratch on the back.

The back is certainly made out of different glass than the front. It scratches easily.

I was hoping to get a bumper case b/c the phone is so beautiful, but I promise you will start seeing the back of these phones getting extremely scratched in the weeks ahead.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Is that scratches or scratch? I only see one.

lol.....good one!!