Apple offers toll-free number to try out FaceTime on iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Looking to test out FaceTime on your new iPhone 4 but don't know anyone else with the latest handset? Apple has provided a toll-free number for users to call and video chat with a company representative.

This week Apple sent out e-mails to customers, letting them know that they could try out FaceTime by calling the toll-free 1-888-FACETIME (322-3846) number. The hotline is available between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. CDT.

"Want to try FaceTime? Give us a call," the note reads. "An Apple representative will show you the basics and a few advanced tips. Before you call, make sure you have a Wi-Fi connection."

A user who calls Apple will talk to a representative who asks questions about the FaceTime configuration and Wi-Fi connectivity. They will then engage in a FaceTime conversation, and explain all of the features of the open standard found in the iPhone 4.

FaceTime is a new open standard announced by Apple earlier this month alongside the introduction of iPhone 4. It requires Wi-Fi to operate, and currently is only available when using two iPhones.

No setup is required, and the feature is enabled while on a call with someone. Either the front or rear camera can be used with FaceTime.

Because it connects solely over Wi-Fi, FaceTime does not use cell minutes, even though it is originated during a cellular call.

Apple has made FaceTime an open standard, in hopes that it will connect with other services and devices beyond the iPhone 4. Major chat services like Skype and Google Talk have said they are paying attention to FaceTime, but currently have no plans to implement it in their own respective chat clients.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    This is so gonna turn into appleroulette. It's magical!
  • Reply 2 of 51
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Does anyone have the UK number? Unless of course Apple has decided to only provide the service to it's American customers.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Who's going to be the first lucky bastard at Apple who has a FaceTime chat with a hot chick in skimpy lingere?
  • Reply 4 of 51
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Who's going to be the first lucky bastard at Apple who has a FaceTime chat with a hot chick in skimpy lingere?

Not quite along the lines of what I was thinking but I am sure there will be tales to tell from the group at Tech Support chosen for this duty.

Can't wait for the stories.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I'm not holding my breath on that one - and I assume you are talking about a chat roulette situation - and not making a statement about folks who answer the phones for apple - then again if apple had hot chicks in skimpy lingerie... more likely you accidentally get connected to one of those Ninjas we keep hearing about.

interesting that no other companies are looking into this - although in the case of a service such as Skype - that handles both audio and video - so how to bridge from a split cellular audio / WiFi video to a protocol that handles both could be an interesting challenge.

I wonder if you will be able to record a video call and or leave a video message (although the split audio/video thing comes to mind again).

Might make some interesting additions to the various late night phone chat services that are advertised on TV.

I would bet that more likely than a lucky chat roulette scenario - will will probably see some poor shmuck get a nude video conference from a drunken buddy at some inopportune time. or a message from Tiger Woods asking his girlfriend to Please, Please, wear a bag over your head before you answer so Elin doesn't see who you are.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    Quote:

No chance, that guy has to deal with dongs for 40 hours a week. It's like a full-time chat-roulette gig.

Sheldon
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Oh No....

Imagine calling into an Apple tech via FaceTime, "coincidentally" as you witness a:

(fill in the blank...from Rated G to Rated X)
  • Reply 8 of 51
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Maybe the guy who was on the other end of the phone for the "can you hear me now?" tests would consider this Apple job to be an upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SkeGC-5gXQ
  • Reply 9 of 51
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Maybe the guy who was on the other end of the phone for the "can you hear me now?" tests would consider this Apple job to be an upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SkeGC-5gXQ

New add will need to be - Can you see me know?
  • Reply 10 of 51
    elpasielpasi Posts: 6member
    Quote:

1-888-FACETIME (332-3846) number

It's 322 - A is 2 on a standard keypad.

I also note when you call them they say this call may be monitored, then say apple does not permit you (the caller) to record the session.

Why are the rules different for apple than for us?
  • Reply 11 of 51
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elpasi View Post

It's 322 - A is 2 on a standard keypad.

I also note when you call them they say this call may be monitored, then say apple does not permit you (the caller) to record the session.

Why are the rules different for apple than for us?

WE SUCK

that is why

face time will open free calls to the world

face or no face apple just shot a missile accross the bow of every carrier on the planet
  • Reply 12 of 51
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    The hotline is available between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. CDT.

How come Central time zone? Are all US-based customer support centres in Texas?
  • Reply 13 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I feel bad for people who have to test FaceTime with a toll free number. It does make me wonder if this could give a reemergence to the 900 number sexline crazy of the 90s.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    3goldens3goldens Posts: 34member
    i think facetime is ridicules waste of time.

I for one don't want to see the other person I'm talkin to!

Sorry Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Can apple really scale up to the demand of so many users that they may get calling them?

If sales are an indicator then this could turn out to be a big fiasco for Apple!
  • Reply 16 of 51
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Because it connects solely over Wi-Fi, FaceTime does not use cell minutes, even though it is originated during a cellular call.

However, you home data usage via Wi-Fi is charged against your internet package. Most high speed internet services have limited data/month.

For example, my high speed internet express package includes 60GB of data/month. Our household usage has averaged over 1GB per day using my iPhone and 3 Macs. But now that my wife has gotten her iPad, usage is nearing the 1.5GB/day, although my 3g uses another 200MB/month on my iPhone data plan.

I recently installed SurplusMeter to monitor my own personal usage for the business side and tested iChat. It consumes about 5MB/min (down and up). Note that it is using the iSight camera which is VGA. One would expect a higher usage if you used the 5 megapixel iPhone 4 over the front facing camera.

It would be interesting to see what others are consuming. I know that with the iPad coming into the home, our internet usage has upped significantly. But hoping to get a couple more iPads and iPhones by Christmas, we may have to upgrade our internet package as well.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

I would be happy to face chat with someone that could fix my ipad wifi problems.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

Sorry Apple!

Then you need more attractive friends
  • Reply 19 of 51
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I did it. It's nifty and now I have a new friend from Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

Sorry Apple!

Not even a hot chick in sexy lingerie?