Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

Comments

• Reply 281 of 444
    a2gsga2gsg Posts: 26member
  • Reply 282 of 444
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wildone View Post

I guess you missed the earlier post by Ireland today. You should look at those pics, as I guess none of the people know how to hold a phone. I think most people cradle the phone in the palm of their hand. Part of Steve Jobs sales pitch was how slim the phone is. So now we should buy bumpers or a case to add to the thickness or we are told that we are holding the phone wrong which is BS. When you bought your phone did the phone rep tell you how to hold it. I bet they didn't, as it should not make any difference how you hold a cell phone. My cell phone works fine no matter how I hold it. Your post sounds like you might be Steve J, are you?

Nope, but I wish I had his wealth. But it is not hard to figure out how to hold it if blocking the seams at the bottom affects reception. Same was true on the original iPhone. The antenna is at the bottom of the phone, behind the plastic cover. Obstruct that area and the signal goes down. Now you should buy a case? You never bought a case for any of your earlier phones? Every sales pitch for all prior generations of iPhones and iPods has always been how thin it is, so what is your point? The bumper doesn't really make the phone that much thicker. Plus, I have never seen anyone without a case, even when there weren't reports of reception issues. The iPhone 4 has better reception than any previous iPhone.

How about this, if the instructions for the iPhone 4 stated not to block the seams on the bottom of the phone because it would affect antenna performance, do you think anyone would complain about this? Did you know that if you obstruct any other kind of antenna, the signal is reduced? The days of the slide out extended antenna on flip phones are over. People want the antenna embedded in the device, so they need to learn how to hold a phone without obstructing the antenna.
  • Reply 283 of 444
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Ask yourself, why are calls being dropped, when being held normally, is only happenening to the iphone?

Well, first of all, we all know that, "calls being dropped, when being held normally, is only happenening (sic) to the iphone," is not true. Dropped calls happen all the time on all phones.

The question is, are dropped calls actually happening more on iPhone 4 than on other phones on AT&T's network? I'm neutral on this issue at themoment, but so far all we've heard is that people can make the call drop if they do such and such, not that dropped calls are happening more, "when being held normally."
  • Reply 284 of 444
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Keep smoking that pop pipe, Sonny.

@Ireland-Not that Apple didn't sound a little silly with that explanation. but before you think this is a problem unique to Apple, read this:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Android-.../192561/page/2

and this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...reception.html

Oh, you want a YouTube video? Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaDE941PzQk

Yes, Apple needs to remedy this. They could start with bundling the bumpers with the iPhone and/or give the problem phone owners a free bumper. If that doesn't solve the problem for the customer, give them their money back or replace the phone (whichever they prefer). It really is that simple. Customer service 101.
  • Reply 285 of 444
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dshel View Post

This antenna thing is an Apple Basher trick. My IPhone 4 works great. If you have sweaty hands, and are out on the edge of a Wi-Fi network range, it might make a difference. I have tried and it just doesn't happen. AT&T dropped down to Edge coverage briefly yesterday, due to the system overload they experinced. It came back to 5 Bars of 3G by late afternoon. This is a non-issue, and should not be blown up into a genuine problem. It Isn"t1

Hmmm, I don't have Cancer - therefore Cancer doesn't exist and all those people are faking it. Think, the good Lord gave you something to hold your ears apart - use it.

I'm glad your G4 doesn't have this problem - that doesn't mean that mine isn't a piece of crap (it is). I cannot make a phone call when I'm at work. The calls drop - 100% of the time - tried 7x to talk to my wife and failed.

The phone works great in areas where AT&T delivers 5 bars; but if you are in an area where only 2-4 bars are present and you hold the phone in any orientation - you will drop the call - each and every time. Now, a piece of electical tape seems to remedy the situation; you just have to be careful that the tape does NOT cover the grill on the lower left hand side of the phone - by the Apple connector - as this is the microphone.

I strongly suspect that the first batch of phones were supposed to get a shot of clearcoat polyeurathane to make the metal band non-conductive. As the clearcoat is transparent - this process step may have been bypassed - thus when a person touches the phone they short out the antennae. It could easily be that your phone got that clearcoat (or better yet, a clear annodization (ie glass) plating); while a large percentage of the phones on the market did not get such treatment.

That's all it would take to 'fix' the problem. Clearcoat, or far better would be a Annodized clear plating on the metal band. You wouldn't be able to see it, or even likely feel it - but as long as they had a non-conductive layer - the problem would be fixed ..... permanently.
  • Reply 286 of 444
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a2gsg View Post

Funniest thing I have seen all week!
  • Reply 287 of 444
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And all those sites have users saying they don't have a problem. Why are they ignored if not drive home the FUD that it's "design flaw" affecting ALL units.

There was one estimate of 1.5M units sold yesterday, including mailed-preorders. To be <1% that would be under 15,000 units affected with this "shorting out" when you touch both antenna. Are there anywhere near that many complaints or is this the typical perpetual internet reverberation machine from a very few devices having an issue.

Note that even if Apple dropped the number of bad units per 1000 by half there would still be more bad units if they sell more than double than the previous year. Will the internet account for scale?

It probably is not a design flaw that affects all units, but it is probably more of an issue in the iPhone 4 than others.

For a lark, I tested my 3G and my wife's BlackBerry 9700. If I hold my 3G, no problem. If I grip my 3G I will lose all my bars in about a minute, and if I loosen my grip, they come back. Oddly enough, standing in the same position, the BlackBerry is completely unaffected by any alteration in how the phone is held.
  • Reply 288 of 444
    wildonewildone Posts: 8member
    If I wanted to buy a cell phone and I was told I had to hold it a certain way I would not buy the phone. Did you look at the Apple promo pics posted by Ireland earlier today. All of the people are holding the phone wrong!!!!!!!! Would you buy a car if they told you it would only go in reverse???? I guess Hillstones is right and everyone else is wrong and nobody but Hillstones knows how to hold a phone.
  • Reply 289 of 444
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Where else are they supposed to put the antenna? It has to go somewhere. FCC requires specific placement of the antenna, which they don't care how the phone is held for those requirements. If Apple and other cell phone makers don't follow FCC rules, the phone never gets released. FCC requires the antenna to be at the bottom of cell phones, just like the original iPhone and iPhone 3G. If you blocked the plastic cover on the original iPhone, your signal degraded, and guess where that was when you held it, right in the palm of your hand.

How about they release a phone where even the size of newborn's pinky can't interfere with reception. The issue here isn't the placement of the antenna within the case. This is a problem every cell phone has. The issue is that now takes very little to intefere with reception.

More than likely because of the design, the issue has moved from AT&T's coverage to be about the device instead.
  • Reply 290 of 444
    wildonewildone Posts: 8member
    Sounds like Hodar has the possible solution. Good idea!!
  • Reply 291 of 444
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    Using speedtest.net 6 tests in saturated Washington DC

3 with rubber case held in hand:

243k down 16k up

115k down 762k up (yes, really had that much difference in upload speeds)

1621k down 84k up

3 with no case held in left hand to use web away from head

98k down 0k up

test would not complete, no data

test would not complete no data

I regularly use a case on all of my iPhones, currently I am using a rubber one from my 3gs though it is not a perfect fit. So this issue really does not affect me, but maybe Apple should be giving out free bumpers or cases as its pretty unusable without.
  • Reply 292 of 444
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Engagdet are using my screenshot compilation.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/h...ding-it-wrong/

Just my 2 cents.

This problem could be corrected easily, and is likely the result of poor Quality work at Foxconn. I would bet $$$ that Foxconn is gonna eat this one.

Manufacturing Fix #1: Clear coat spray of a Polyeurathane type material to outside benzel prior to assembly. Downsides - this material will wear off, may give the bezel a 'glossy' or smooth touch that may be counter to Apple's design goals. This is an easy and cost effective manufacturing step - that should be statistically checked during the manufacturing steps.

Manufacturing Fix #1: Highly desired would be an annodized non-conductive clear coat finish. This would be as close to permenant as I can imagine getting, as the annodization is almost as hard as glass - and just as non-conductive. This can be done very cost effectively, if done in quantity (and yes, 600K+ is what one would consider high quantity).

The problem, as I see it, is that there were no processes in place at Foxconn to ensure that the Bezels were 'treated' prior to assembly.

Could it be that Apple didn't know about this problem until after the first 600K units had the bezels welded to the internal support structure? Possibly. The field-test GS 'camoflage' likely masked the design flaw; so it is plausable that Apple was not aware of this until launch, or before the units were too far along the production curve to fix.

When you think of this - consider that AT&T and Apple QUIT TAKING ORDERS after the first day. Do you think they realized that they have a huge problem, and are buying time by delaying launch dates internationally, and not taking further orders - until they can build and validate a 'fix' to this issue? That's what I would do.
  • Reply 293 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

3 with no case held in left hand to use web away from head

98k down 0k up

test would not complete, no data

test would not complete no data

Is that just holding it naturally, or intentionally making sure the seam is bridged?
  • Reply 294 of 444
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Is that just holding it naturally, or intentionally making sure the seam is bridged?

Its not an or, its an and.

I am holding it naturally and the seam is bridged. I hold it in my left hand and use my right hand for touch. I would have to hold it awkwardly in my left hand not to bridge the seam. My thumb is near the volume controls, my palm is bridging the left side, my pinky could but would not always bridge the right side. Held very lightly.
  • Reply 295 of 444
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

@Ireland-Not that Apple didn't sound a little silly with that explanation. but before you think this is a problem unique to Apple, read this:

and this:

Yes, Apple needs to remedy this. They could start with bundling the bumpers with the iPhone and/or give the problem phone owners a free bumper. If that doesn't solve the problem for the customer, give them their money back or replace the phone (whichever they prefer). It really is that simple. Customer service 101.

Just because one other phone has the same issue, it doesn't make this right in any way. Also, one other phone having this issue is a far cry from "any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong."

As it stands, Apple doesn't sound like they're willing to replace the units that suffer from this the most. To top it off, they said to hold the phone differently! This is all just so absurd!

I'm definitely willing to accept that other phones might have had the issue, and I'm also willing to accept this doesn't affect but a small percentage of the ip4's sold, but people around here compare Apple to Ferrari and Rolex. Would Ferrari tell someone they're pressing the gas wrong if the car stalls out when you try to drive it? Jeesh
  • Reply 296 of 444
    Quote:

For a bit of comic relief, the crew at Reddit dug through Apple's official iPhone 4 advertisement videos and uncovered countless models holding the iPhone 4 "incorrectly."

:/

~Callum
  • Reply 297 of 444
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    I'm not seeing anything new here. I can make my 3GS go from 5 bars to 1 by covering the bottom black strip on both sides with my hands and squeezing. I personally haven't ever noticed any issues with my 3GS under normal use and I'm a left hand phone holder. I saw them do the same experiment I did to my 3GS with the 4G on twit.tv yesterday. They had to go out of their way to make their bars drop just as I had to.

Where exactly did Apple say users are at fault or that their way of holding the phone is wrong? The statement I saw was "If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases." Seems reasonable to me. Nowhere is it stated that the user is wrong. The statement just requests folks to adjust the way they are handling the phone or purchase a case if there is an issue. Their statement doesn't insult them, it just explains how the phone will work the best.

Additionally, the iphone 4G passed the ever important Jimmy Fallon test, so how much worse can the reception be?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/t...ng-less-calls/
  • Reply 298 of 444
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

and this:

Exactly. Apple is under fire because they are, well.... IMMENSELY SUCCESSFUL!

The bigger you get, the more you get attacked.

Trolls love to attack. The Media loves to attack. And the competition loves to attack.

Time and again, Apple comes out with high quality products, elegantly designed, simple to use, and attractive to the end user because it is designed for them, rather than it being a product crammed full of stuff without any regard for what people really want.

Some people whether the media, Apple haters, competing corporations, cannot fathom how everything this company does since the ipod (iphone, app store, retail stores, iPad) turns to gold.

Jealousy of success. It's too bad, but that is how it is.....

Life at the top ain't perfect.

BUT I AIN'T GIVING UP MY iphone! I've found it vastly superior to everything else I've used.

If you don't like it, don't buy it! Do these people really whine and complain about EVERY single product they don't like and don't own, as if they are personally affected by lack thereof?
  • Reply 299 of 444
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Just my 2 cents.

This problem could be corrected easily, and is likely the result of poor Quality work at Foxconn. I would bet $$$ that Foxconn is gonna eat this one.

Manufacturing Fix #1: Clear coat spray of a Polyeurathane type material to outside benzel prior to assembly. Downsides - this material will wear off, may give the bezel a 'glossy' or smooth touch that may be counter to Apple's design goals. This is an easy and cost effective manufacturing step - that should be statistically checked during the manufacturing steps.

Manufacturing Fix #1: Highly desired would be an annodized non-conductive clear coat finish. This would be as close to permenant as I can imagine getting, as the annodization is almost as hard as glass - and just as non-conductive. This can be done very cost effectively, if done in quantity (and yes, 600K+ is what one would consider high quantity).

The problem, as I see it, is that there were no processes in place at Foxconn to ensure that the Bezels were 'treated' prior to assembly.

Could it be that Apple didn't know about this problem until after the first 600K units had the bezels welded to the internal support structure? Possibly. The field-test GS 'camoflage' likely masked the design flaw; so it is plausable that Apple was not aware of this until launch, or before the units were too far along the production curve to fix.

When you think of this - consider that AT&T and Apple QUIT TAKING ORDERS after the first day. Do you think they realized that they have a huge problem, and are buying time by delaying launch dates internationally, and not taking further orders - until they can build and validate a 'fix' to this issue? That's what I would do.

Good points and I hope Apple goes with #2.

I was ready to get the new iPhone after the craze dies down but I'm just going to sit back and wait. I'm still getting one but it's because I'm tied to apps like Omnifocus (amongst others) that sync with my Mac. If it wasn't the case I'd probably ditch it.
  • Reply 300 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Its not an or, its an and.

I am holding it naturally and the seam is bridged. I hold it in my left hand and use my right hand for touch. I would have to hold it awkwardly in my left hand not to bridge the seam. My thumb is near the volume controls, my palm is bridging the left side, my pinky could but would not always bridge the right side. Held very lightly.

So, with the seam resting against the base of your thumb?