Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

Comments

• Reply 301 of 444
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Weird. I can't replicate this problem at all. I have large hands and I've tried gripping my iPhone in my left, completely covering the area they're talking about (hell, I tried covering as much of the sides and back as possible) and I see no change in my reception. It's full strength, regardless.
  • Reply 302 of 444
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, with the seam resting against the base of your thumb?

Hold your phone with your left hand facing you where your thumb is at the volume controls. Most people's palm will end up touching the left seam bridging it. The pinkie will be near but not always covering the right seam.
  • Reply 303 of 444
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    In 2007 Apple came up with a Smartphone with a multi touch interface. They figured time had come for a sweeping change, but it required a learning process for the Users. Apple was prescient and Users bought enthusiastically into it. No amount of propaganda and spin by the competition and their pundits and pseudo journalists apparatus could quell the onslaught.

In 2010 the iPhone tackles the cellular receptivity issue in the same vain. Apple 'patents' a way to make the antenna more efficient. Brilliant and elegant for its structural integration, the idea here is to shift 3G cellular Networks inefficiencies to the end user's control. Thus, more openly and upfront than ever, the way you handle the phone determines receptivity, and in the end, the quality of a phone call. It's a User Centric approach, drifting slowly and seamlessly away from the Service Provider. But it has a learning curve, obviously, as was the case with multi touch back then.

Apple much prefers bearing full responsibility for the user experience of its products. AT&T, any service provider for that matter, are a pain in the neck for Apple. They just don't share the same business culture. This antenna conundrum illustrates in no uncertain terms the direction and the measures Apple is willing to take to eventually part ways with alien, non assimilable, but widely prevailing business practices.

It's all about the complete User experience, and eliminating as much interference as possible between point A and point B. And I mean physical, cultural and social interference. Bashing and hating on AT&T for the wrong reasons in no way should drive the User experience. Control and conscious decision making should.

This antenna is a metaphorical portal to the self control paradigm. From patrician jeers to plaebian cheers, an echo from yesteryear.
  • Reply 304 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Which goes against the trolls claim that it's a design flaw shorting out the antennas.

(Apologist Supreme: Added to ignore list)
  • Reply 305 of 444
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Exactly. Apple is under fire because they are, well.... IMMENSELY SUCCESSFUL!

The bigger you get, the more you get attacked.

Trolls love to attack. The Media loves to attack. And the competition loves to attack.

Time and again, Apple comes out with high quality products, elegantly designed, simple to use, and attractive to the end user because it is designed for them, rather than it being a product crammed full of stuff without any regard for what people really want.

Some people whether the media, Apple haters, competing corporations, cannot fathom how everything this company does since the ipod (iphone, app store, retail stores, iPad) turns to gold.

Jealousy of success. It's too bad, but that is how it is.....

Life at the top ain't perfect.

BUT I AIN'T GIVING UP MY iphone! I've found it vastly superior to everything else I've used.

If you don't like it, don't buy it! Do these people really whine and complain about EVERY single product they don't like and don't own, as if they are personally affected by lack thereof?

Well you're wrong.

Apple sells a ton of iphones, and now this issue comes up only for SJ to tell everyone they're holding their phones wrong. Their own advertisements are holding the phone wrong.

I guess you thought it was ok for HTC to tell people phones don't belong in pockets? If not, you're a hypocrite.
  • Reply 306 of 444
    Here's a video of my 3GS doing the same thing when I hold it with my whole hand instead of the usual fingertips that most people use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t3AmWkZcE8

All cell phones do this.
  • Reply 307 of 444
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well you're wrong.

Apple sells a ton of iphones, and now this issue comes up only for SJ to tell everyone they're holding their phones wrong. Their own advertisements are holding the phone wrong.

I guess you thought it was ok for HTC to tell people phones don't belong in pockets? If not, you're a hypocrite.

I have no doubt that Apple will deal with this "issue", big or small, in a way that satisfies their customers.

Regardless, detractors will continue to detract.
  • Reply 308 of 444
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Hold your phone with your left hand facing you where your thumb is at the volume controls. Most people's palm will end up touching the left seam bridging it. The pinkie will be near but not always covering the right seam.

I'm not sure the right "seam" is actually a seam, is it? The slides they showed in the keynote showed it as a continuous piece from the left, around the bottom and up to the top. So, I think it's the base of the thumb that would be the issue, not the pinky on the right, which may just be a faux seam.
  • Reply 309 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

When you think of this - consider that AT&T and Apple QUIT TAKING ORDERS after the first day. Do you think they realized that they have a huge problem, and are buying time by delaying launch dates internationally, and not taking further orders - until they can build and validate a 'fix' to this issue? That's what I would do.

I would too, but AT&T still advertises that they will take additional orders beginning next Tuesday. If they do so and a "fix" isn't known your theory bites the dust, right?
  • Reply 310 of 444
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Here's a video of my 3GS doing the same thing when I hold it with my whole hand instead of the usual fingertips that most people use.

All cell phones do this.

Well, yeah, I think we can pretty much discount the "death grip" problems, since no one actually ever holds a phone like that in real world usage.
  • Reply 311 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

I have no doubt that Apple will deal with this "issue", big or small, in a way that satisfies their customers.

Regardless, detractors will continue to detract.

I hope they do. They're supposed to be what other companies should strive to be (from what I hear from the die hard fans.) It doesn't sound this way though when they say the solution is to hold it differently.
  • Reply 312 of 444
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

Funniest thing I have seen all week!

Yeah I got a kick out of that one too. I still can't figure out the Sulawesi notation. I especially like the FHF and the Miller Lite.
  • Reply 313 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, yeah, I think we can pretty much discount the "death grip" problems, since no one actually ever holds a phone like that in real world usage.

Not unless you're in south-east DC...
  • Reply 314 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah I got a kick out of that one too. I still can't figure out the Sulawesi notation. I especially like the FHF and the Miller Lite.

censored under patriot act got me
  • Reply 315 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

People want the antenna embedded in the device, so they need to learn how to hold a phone without obstructing the antenna.

And the Apple Butt-Boy Hall of Shame has a new member!
  • Reply 316 of 444
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

(Apologist Supreme: Added to ignore list)

A new poster (less than 200 posts total) adding solipsism to their "ignore" list.

Friggin' priceless!
  • Reply 317 of 444
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Clear coat spray of a Polyeurathane type material to outside benzel prior to assembly. Downsides - this material will wear off, may give the bezel a 'glossy' or smooth touch that may be counter to Apple's design goals. This is an easy and cost effective manufacturing step - that should be statistically checked during the manufacturing steps.

Highly desired would be an annodized non-conductive clear coat finish. This would be as close to permenant as I can imagine getting, as the annodization is almost as hard as glass - and just as non-conductive.

The rubber bumper is radio transparent but are polyurethane and anodized coatings completely radio transparent. I assume you would want the antenna itself to be remain conductive.
  • Reply 318 of 444
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

All cell phones do this.

That can't be true because that would mean there is no design flaw and they'd have to admit their reasoning was fallacious, so it has to be a problem with that only affects the iPhone 4 and all iPhone 4s or they risk having to admit to themselves they didn't think or act rationally. That isn't likely to happen with people who are not ratiocinative.
  • Reply 319 of 444
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Weird. I can't replicate this problem at all. I have large hands and I've tried gripping my iPhone in my left, completely covering the area they're talking about (hell, I tried covering as much of the sides and back as possible) and I see no change in my reception. It's full strength, regardless.

Nice to finally see some sane posters in this thread.
  • Reply 320 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

A new poster (less than 200 posts total) adding solipsism to their "ignore" list.

Friggin' priceless!

Based on the countless cries of "troll" and dismissive attitude towards anyone who seemed to disagree, I have no need to hear more from him.

And when you can, please let me know how many posts one has to make before being "qualified" to add someone to the ignore list. Thanks.

Sheesh.

Edit: Nm. I have no need for lock-step apologists, whether it be Apple or Microsoft. Plenty of other people to get honest opinion and information from. Read your last post where claiming no problem equals "sane poster," don't bother replying, unless of course you're wanting to show off (again) for your buds, you're nuked as well.