Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

Comments

• Reply 321 of 444
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Good news, everyone! Apple has heard your cries for help, and they are working on a fix!

• Reply 322 of 444
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    At least in MY case. Am in Los Angeles. I could NOT re-create this issue without the bumper. I have NO issue of signal blocking and here are MY pics to PROVE it. For me this just sounds like either some handset issue or good ol ATT. This phone is PHENOMENAL and those how have it and have used FACE TIME know this. The iOS 4 is awesome and plenty awesome on the 3GS i might add. These anti apple people are PAID SHRILLS. This product is so popular so fast it is literally causing OH SHIT reactions all over the world. What ONE brand has been able to build up so much interest in one new product without running ONE AD of advertisement? It just goes to show you how BIG apple has become. And btw any of you haters can go get TWO DROIDS for the price of one, less than a few months after their release. Doh! That sounds like a FIRE SALE to me.

By the way... The only thing I was pissed at when I got home from picking up my i4 was that I could not connect it to my G5. I am still running Tiger, and i4 is not supported! Called Apple and they overnighted me a FREE full version of Leopard, all at no cost. Try "calling" Google for service on your DROID, wait, I just realized their is NO PHONE SUPPORT at Google. Doh.

• Reply 323 of 444
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Nice to finally see some sane posters in this thread.

So the sane posters are the ones whose phones work well for them? Conversely people like Robert Scoble (Scobleizer), Neven Mrgan (Panic), Marco Arment (Instapaper & Tumblr), Craig Hockenberry (Icon Factory & Twitterrific), the Macworld Staff, Cnet & Peter Cohen (Loop In Sight) are all insane?
  • Reply 324 of 444
    You know it's a bad day for Apple when the astroturfers descend upon the AI forums to dispense Apple's version of reality. Nothing like joining in June for that extra PR punch to quell any complaints.

Enjoy the Kool-aid!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

At least in MY case. Am in Los Angeles. I could NOT re-create this issue without the bumper. I have NO issue of signal blocking and here are MY pics to PROVE it. For me this just sounds like either some handset issue or good ol ATT. This phone is PHENOMENAL and those how have it and have used FACE TIME know this. The iOS 4 is awesome and plenty awesome on the 3GS i might add. These anti apple people are PAID SHRILLS. This product is so popular so fast it is literally causing OH SHIT reactions all over the world. What ONE brand has been able to build up so much interest in one new product without running ONE AD of advertisement? It just goes to show you how BIG apple has become. And btw any of you haters can go get TWO DROIDS for the price of one, less than a few months after their release. Doh! That sounds like a FIRE SALE to me.

• Reply 325 of 444
    Ok instead of sitting in one place and complain i spent the last 2 hours going around town and here is what I found.

1. The Bars do not always drop in specific locations on the outside and Inside

2. The Bars always drop in specific locations on the outside and Inside

This leads me to believe this is a combination of Antenna Interference and AT&T. It seems Gruber MIGHT BE right that wherever there is 'spotty' 3G coverage, the bars will drop and that is what was happening. I was at a location in front of a hospital and held the iPhone in my left hand with no bars dropping, i cupped the phone so that the entire lower left half of the iPhone is touching my hand and still the bars were at 5.

Now I am not sure about all spotty coverage because I went to another location in front of a mall where I saw 5 bars, i took the phone in my left hand and the bars started to drop.

This is confusing.
  • Reply 326 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

So the sane posters are the ones whose phones work well for them? Conversely people like Robert Scoble (Scobleizer), Neven Mrgan (Panic), Marco Arment (Instapaper & Tumblr), Craig Hockenberry (Icon Factory & Twitterrific), the Macworld Staff, Cnet & Peter Cohen (Loop In Sight) are all insane?

Short answer: yes.
  • Reply 327 of 444
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That can't be true because that would mean there is no design flaw and they'd have to admit their reasoning was fallacious, so it has to be a problem with that only affects the iPhone 4 and all iPhone 4s or they risk having to admit to themselves they didn't think or act rationally. That isn't likely to happen with people who are not ratiocinative.

You are just being obtuse. Look at how the 3GS was being held. His hand covered half of the back and he had to squeeze so hard that his fingers cover half of the screen. Compare that to the iPhone 4 videos where the phone is resting comfortably in the left hand with only about 2 inches of the left side touching the inside thumb and palm.

You are just being factious because you know it has been demonstrated and re-demonstrated that all it takes is a finger to crash the signal on the iPhone 4, but you crow about a 3GS being ham fisted as if you have proved a point.
  • Reply 328 of 444
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

Additionally, the iphone 4G passed the ever important Jimmy Fallon test, so how much worse can the reception be?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/t...ng-less-calls/

Jimmy hold it differently in that picture than most people I've seen.
  • Reply 329 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Not insane, but look at my pics man. Explain why I have NO ISSUE at all. Yes there are tons of DEAD ATT zones in Los Angeles. So far my i4 works FLAWLESSLY. Am I insane then? Doh! And, this thread has about 300 posts, some of which 30 are from the same poster, hardly an avalanche of reports on this issue considering over ONE MILLION or more picked one of these puppies up yesterday.

• Reply 330 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Exactly. Apple is under fire because they are, well.... IMMENSELY SUCCESSFUL!

The bigger you get, the more you get attacked.

That's a load of crap. Apple are a great company, but they just made a super-blunder. And what's worse they are saying the solution is to hold it differently. The whole thing stinks, and Apple need to fix the phone, not it's user-base.

There are many loyal Apple users on this forum who don't like this. The truth is staring you in the face but you don't want to face it. Utter crap.
  • Reply 331 of 444
    Quote:

Not insane, but look at my pics man. Explain why I have NO ISSUE at all. Yes there are tons of DEAD ATT zones in Los Angeles. So far my i4 works FLAWLESSLY. Am I insane then? Doh! And, this thread has about 300 posts, some of which 30 are from the same poster, hardly an avalanche of reports on this issue considering over ONE MILLION or more picked one of these puppies up yesterday.

Move along, astroturfer, there's nothing to see here. Move along.
  • Reply 332 of 444
    Quote:

By the way... The only thing I was pissed at when I got home from picking up my i4 was that I could not connect it to my G5. I am still running Tiger, and i4 is not supported! Called Apple and they overnighted me a FREE full version of Leopard, all at no cost. Try "calling" Google for service on your DROID, wait, I just realized their is NO PHONE SUPPORT at Google. Doh.

dude, seriously? I'm was more excited than a kid in a candy store to order this thing and I can't load web pages while holding it. It's widespread.

I can't believe I'm saying this to someone else, but.......stop being an Apple fanboy. If Apple is truly the company that you think they are, they'll fix this without handing out free bumpers.
  • Reply 333 of 444
    Quote:

Why would you go through all that trouble? No one is claiming that every phone is affected..

Do you think you were going to settle the debate?
  • Reply 334 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

You know it's a bad day for Apple when the astroturfers descend upon the AI forums to dispense Apple's version of reality. Nothing like joining in June for that extra PR punch to quell any complaints.

Enjoy the Kool-aid!

Ya, sure I drank my i4 all the way home, doh. I've been in the apple family for 20 years buddy. hardly new to the arena. dont have sour grapes over someone showing a FAIL to the comments that Apple is over and the i4 is DOA.

It's weird how anecdotal evidence has such a strange effect on haters, shrills, and trolls.

• Reply 335 of 444
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    is it just me, or do these "bumpers" remind anyone of those crazy colorful "Swatch Watch" Guards that were so popular in the 80's?

Just saying...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v1AvUGMWZO...00/swatch2.JPG
  • Reply 336 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Weird. I can't replicate this problem at all. I have large hands and I've tried gripping my iPhone in my left, completely covering the area they're talking about (hell, I tried covering as much of the sides and back as possible) and I see no change in my reception. It's full strength, regardless.

That's good news. So it may be fixable after all. Someone said very early on it could be a short, cause by metal touching inside certain phone, I hope that it what's wrong. One things for certain, whatever the issue is, Apple's spinning this like a whirlwind. We should find out what the issue is, cause if we don't it will make people wary to plunk down the cash on this product.
  • Reply 337 of 444
    Quote:

But you never did show the antenna gap and the small piece of Scotch tape you placed there!

Seriously though this is not Macrumors where they have mega threads so I don't think you can take the low post count means non-issue to the bank yet.
  • Reply 338 of 444
    Yea! Ireland got credited on Engadget!
  • Reply 339 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

In 2007 Apple came up with a Smartphone with a multi touch interface. They figured time had come for a sweeping change, but it required a learning process for the Users. Apple was prescient and Users bought enthusiastically into it. No amount of propaganda and spin by the competition and their pundits and pseudo journalists apparatus could quell the onslaught.

In 2010 the iPhone tackles the cellular receptivity issue in the same vain. Apple 'patents' a way to make the antenna more efficient. Brilliant and elegant for its structural integration, the idea here is to shift 3G cellular Networks inefficiencies to the end user's control. Thus, more openly and upfront than ever, the way you handle the phone determines receptivity, and in the end, the quality of a phone call. It's a User Centric approach, drifting slowly and seamlessly away from the Service Provider. But it has a learning curve, obviously, as was the case with multi touch back then.

"Red, I do believe you're talking out of your ass."
  • Reply 340 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhonepwnz View Post

dude, seriously? I'm was more excited than a kid in a candy store to order this thing and I can't load web pages while holding it. It's widespread.

I can't believe I'm saying this to someone else, but.......stop being an Apple fanboy. If Apple is truly the company that you think they are, they'll fix this without handing out free bumpers.

Dude, widespread from 300 posters ? Widespread can mean everyone. Clearly, I'm not in that group, dont ya think? Neither is my buddy who picked his phone up at the same time and place I did, in fact I am enjoying the AWESOME FACE TIME from his work while I'm here at a pub with wi-fi...

Stop the alarm posts, widespread can imply a lot of things, frankly you have no way of judging what "widespread" means since you have no access to no "data" or factoid what so ever, just what you are reading here.