Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

Comments

• Reply 341 of 444
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Not insane, but look at my pics man. Explain why I have NO ISSUE at all. Yes there are tons of DEAD ATT zones in Los Angeles. So far my i4 works FLAWLESSLY. Am I insane then? Doh! And, this thread has about 300 posts, some of which 30 are from the same poster, hardly an avalanche of reports on this issue considering over ONE MILLION or more picked one of these puppies up yesterday.

I understand and I'm glad that it worked out for you (surprising in LA) but there is something seriously wrong here. There are only so many possibilities.

1. There is no design flaw and it's a bad batch. If so why hasn't Apple said as much? With returns happening as early in the morning they would have had some time to test a couple of these phones before replying last night.

2. You live close to a cell tower. Did you test it yet while you were out and getting getting 2 or 3 bars? Did the signal drop then while holding it in your left hand?
  • Reply 342 of 444
    They blew it...

I am as big an Apple fan-boy as any of you, but that is just pure bullshit, most mobile phones I have had I could hold whatever way I wanted without affecting the signal.

It is however true that all phones who previously tried implementing the antenna into the phone hoilster have had this problem. It is not a new thing to implement the antenna this way, has been tried many times before, but there has always been problems, and seems Apple didnt solve those either.
  • Reply 343 of 444
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Here's a video of my 3GS doing the same thing when I hold it with my whole hand instead of the usual fingertips that most people use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t3AmWkZcE8

All cell phones do this.

Nobody uses a phone like that, you're even blocking the screen. I notice you turned off comments on that YouTube video? Go over and turn them on and people can advise you how to retake the test legitimately. The iPhone loses more bars, even to no service with just a light touch in the wrong location. Even one finger can do it. The iPhone 4 does it when you have your hand in the standard position, gently touching the left side. You may as well have your phone in a vice inside a bread-bin there.

On the 2G, the 3G, or even the 3GS the one finger cannot bring the phone to a halt. It's not the same thing at all.
  • Reply 344 of 444
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think you can until there is some formal report stating it as such. We can theorize that it's significant to all devices sold and hypothesize as to what the cause is and what the resolution will be, but to we cannot reasonably claim that it's a "design flaw" that affects everyone while standing on an anti-Apple soapbox without looking like crazy people on the street spouting Revelations and prophesying the end of the world.

Either you're confused about who you're arguing with, or you're intentionally being an asshole. You'd have to be crazy to call me a troll. If anything, I'm probably closer to what would be referred to as an apple zealot.

And what's all this about "design flaw" that "affects everyone" and "anti-apple soapbox"? Why would you portray me and my argument that way?

Solipsism, today you are acting like a total asshole. It is truly baffling. Normally you're much more reasonable than that.

All I've said is that this is a "significant problem". I've even acknowledged that we don't know the percentage of units it affects. At which point, you've gone completely off the deep end, slinging insults and mischaracterizing my position as well as the position of other level-headed people with similar views. Please take a deep breath and come back when you're more rational.
  • Reply 345 of 444
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

Why would you go through all that trouble? No one is claiming that every phone is affected..

Do you think you were going to settle the debate?

He's trying to convince himself it wasn't a waste of time waiting in line 8hrs for a poorly designed cell phone.
  • Reply 346 of 444
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

But you never did show the antenna gap and the small piece of Scotch tape you placed there!

Seriously though this is not Macrumors where they have mega threads so I don't think you can take the low post count means non-issue to the bank yet.

Hey I am not saying this is not issue for SOME. And NO ONE including you knows what if any this "situation" is the result of definitively. Being in Entertainment Marketing here in L.A. Man this so far is a very small sample that may turn out otherwise, but so far, in my case, and in the case of others that got their new i4's with me yesterday, none of us -- here in the Los Angeles area, hollywood to be exact can "recreate" a loss of signal by firmly pressing our left hand over the left corner of the i4.

Now, travel around L.A. and you use signal from one side of the street to the other. The next house even, another Apple issue? Get real. This product is selling because people have trust in the product not the signal issues that have plagued the iphone since it was introduced. Now there you can find 20 million posts on the web about that issue, that's for sure and over documented.
  • Reply 347 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

He's trying to convince himself it wasn't a waste of time waiting in line 8hrs for a poorly designed cell phone.

HAHAHAHAHAHH!

I waited one hour doh boy.

I am still waiting for the *lines* to form for the DROIDS!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHH

Wait, even at TWO FOR ONE for a DROID there are NO LINES BAAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHAHHA!

FIRE SALE FIRE SALE FIRE SALE.

Jealousy and envy are a sign of weakness buddy. try again.
  • Reply 348 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That can't be true because that would mean there is no design flaw and they'd have to admit their reasoning was fallacious, so it has to be a problem with that only affects the iPhone 4 and all iPhone 4s or they risk having to admit to themselves they didn't think or act rationally. That isn't likely to happen with people who are not ratiocinative.

Video test is heavily biased. He's crowding the phone. The iPhone 4 can be gently touched, not shielding the screen in any way whatsoever and the phone loses bars and can lose signal completely.

If you got hit by a car you'd have to check your e-mail first to see if Steve Jobs agreed you'd got hit. If he didn't you'd have to deny it - just like you're denying this. Apple will fess up eventually, and you'll be: "well, eh, I didn't have the issue anyway." Go back to bullshit corner.
  • Reply 349 of 444
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

At least in MY case. Am in Los Angeles. I could NOT re-create this issue without the bumper. I have NO issue of signal blocking and here are MY pics to PROVE it. For me this just sounds like either some handset issue or good ol ATT. This phone is PHENOMENAL and those how have it and have used FACE TIME know this. The iOS 4 is awesome and plenty awesome on the 3GS i might add. These anti apple people are PAID SHRILLS. This product is so popular so fast it is literally causing OH SHIT reactions all over the world. What ONE brand has been able to build up so much interest in one new product without running ONE AD of advertisement? It just goes to show you how BIG apple has become. And btw any of you haters can go get TWO DROIDS for the price of one, less than a few months after their release. Doh! That sounds like a FIRE SALE to me.

By the way... The only thing I was pissed at when I got home from picking up my i4 was that I could not connect it to my G5. I am still running Tiger, and i4 is not supported! Called Apple and they overnighted me a FREE full version of Leopard, all at no cost. Try "calling" Google for service on your DROID, wait, I just realized their is NO PHONE SUPPORT at Google. Doh.

Your post had a title of "This is bogus". However, what you've demonstrated is that not all iphones are affected, or at least not all of the time. About this there has been no dispute.

You're completely deluding yourself if you think that all of us who are having problems are haters. I'm definitely pro-apple in just about every scenario. But in this case, a significant number of people are having problems with the new iphone. It doesn't make us haters simply for pointing this out.

Would it help if I said that I still love the new iPhone? Well its true, I do love the new iPhone. It is phenomenal. The caveat is that there are serious reception issues for a lot of users, reception issues so sever as to make the phone nearly unusable.
  • Reply 350 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I understand and I'm glad that it worked out for you (surprising in LA) but there is something seriously wrong here. There are only so many possibilities.

1. There is no design flaw and it's a bad batch. If so why hasn't Apple said as much? With returns happening as early in the morning they would have had some time to test a couple of these phones before replying last night.

2. You live close to a cell tower. Did you test it yet while you were out and getting getting 2 or 3 bars? Did the signal drop then while holding it in your left hand?

OMG, now you want to say "it's close to a cell tower" excuses or what else? Why would Apple say anything when this launch is BARELY 24 hours old? I wouldn't comment till I knew EXACTLY the extent of the situation if there is one. Clearly some are having issues. Clearly ANY product that is produced i n terms of the size of this device and the shear aspects of millions of parts and pieces and manufacturers things will NO DOUBT go wrong on some level.

Knowing Apple's PR agency, they are not going to issue formal announcements until a consensus of issues are reported and a result has been decided. Maybe you are just being part of the I want it fixed now mentality which sorry to say is not reality. In fact the phone still functions, this is hardly a dire emergency. But, since shrills are out in force and so are the trolls, it's being made out to be a dire situation and clearly for me and my buddies, it's not an issue at all.
  • Reply 351 of 444
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Either you're confused about who you're arguing with, or you're intentionally being an asshole. You'd have to be crazy to call me a troll. If anything, I'm probably closer to what would be referred to as an apple zealot.

I was replying to you, not at you.
  • Reply 352 of 444
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Here's a video of my 3GS doing the same thing when I hold it with my whole hand instead of the usual fingertips that most people use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t3AmWkZcE8

All cell phones do this.

I think it's a lot easier with the iPhone 4 though. I managed to get my 3G to drop from 5 bars to 1 by putting my hand across the base of it but with the iPhone 4, there are demos of the signal drop using just a key and fingers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH-i7rKPJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmU7HBMsY6I

So it's hard to deny this design is severely flawed as it's easy to make this mistake of covering the slots and the signal drop happens pretty quick.
  • Reply 353 of 444
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Hey I am not saying this is not issue for SOME. And NO ONE including you knows what if any this "situation" is the result of definitively. Being in Entertainment Marketing here in L.A. Man this so far is a very small sample that may turn out otherwise, but so far, in my case, and in the case of others that got their new i4's with me yesterday, none of us -- here in the Los Angeles area, hollywood to be exact can "recreate" a loss of signal by firmly pressing our left hand over the left corner of the i4.

Now, travel around L.A. and you use signal from one side of the street to the other. The next house even, another Apple issue? Get real. This product is selling because people have trust in the product not the signal issues that have plagued the iphone since it was introduced. Now there you can find 20 million posts on the web about that issue, that's for sure and over documented.

I will agree that all of the video pro and con are anecdotal at best. It turned emotional for me when Steve said it is a non-issue, when I could hardly use mine. Then to add insult to injury I'm told I am just holding it wrong.

I took mine back this morning. The first Apple product I have ever returned, going all the way back to 1981. When I look around and see so many having the same problems I am, even the 14 I personally know of, I realized Apple was blowing smoke. Being in Hollywood you know there is no smoke without fire, especially when a hot wind is blowing and hot wind is blowing hard out of Cupertino!
  • Reply 354 of 444
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Good news, everyone! Apple has heard your cries for help, and they are working on a fix!

Cool... Thanks for RT'ing my post from the other thread.
  • Reply 355 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Your post had a title of "This is bogus". However, what you've demonstrated is that not all iphones are affected, or at least not all of the time. About this there has been no dispute.

You're completely deluding yourself if you think that all of us who are having problems are haters. I'm definitely pro-apple in just about every scenario. But in this case, a significant number of people are having problems with the new iphone. It doesn't make us haters simply for pointing this out.

Would it help if I said that I still love the new iPhone? Well its true, I do love the new iPhone. It is phenomenal. The caveat is that there are serious reception issues for a lot of users, reception issues so sever as to make the phone nearly unusable.

Sorry but there is a lot of hot air being thrown about a situation that NO ONE including yourself knows the extent. My goal was to show that I could not recreate this issue with my handset in my area nor has any of the people in my group who picked up our phones at the same place at the same time. That to me indicates in MY EXPERIENCE that this reported issue is NOT EFFECTING us, in my group. If that implies to you that you are a hater, then i cant help you.

Seriously I am feeling your pain, but, in the scheme of things are you "claiming" your phone does not work or is out of service? Or if you do this certain type of hold it does not work properly? Is the phone cool otherwise? See, NONE of you screamers are saying much else except DISASTER talk. And to me, unless my phone stopped working, it's hardly a deal breaker. And.. what's with these people like "oh Im glad I didnt' get one" bs... The phones are warranty'd and returnable, what's the risk? Doh.
  • Reply 356 of 444
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    "Yeah - according to Steve, every cellphone does the same thing when held in your hand."

"Steve also says that the iPad is magical."

You know what's f***ing magical, when I hold my **** in my hand a certain way! FFS this is Apple epic failness. Seriously.
  • Reply 357 of 444
    mi_satmi_sat Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

We have been misunderstanding Steve all this time. When we thought he said FLASH would degrade the iPhone's performance, he actually said FLESH.

Nicely played, sir. Nicely played.

• Reply 358 of 444
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    AT&T uses two frequency bands (850 & 1900). My theory is that the iPhone 4 antenna issue is only affecting one of these bands. This would explain why some users are not experiencing the issue. Their service area is probably using the unaffected frequency band.
  • Reply 359 of 444
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    AT&T uses two frequency bands (850 & 1900). My theory is that the iPhone 4 antenna issue is only affecting one of these bands. This would explain why some users are not experiencing the issue. Their service area is probably using the frequency band that would not be affected by holding the iphone issue spot.
  • Reply 360 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Yea! Ireland got credited on Engadget!

Ha, that's cute.