Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

Comments

• Reply 381 of 444
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They aren't admitting their mistake because they didn't make one. All cell phones have potential issues with how you hold them.

And the fact that there's not 100% reports of this 'mistake' shows that it's not all about the design. Some of it could be user error. Some of it could also just be shitty ATT coverage in the area. In fact several of the folks that I saw making reports of this 'major design flaw' admitted that they 'have never had great ATT service in the area'. Well geez Beav could that be the issue and not the phone at all. perhaps.

Apple can not be responsible for those that put a hand right over the antennas, after they told folks that that's what the band is. they can't be responsible for those that drop or lose their phones or get them wet etc. No more than any other company. If this was an Android, Rim etc we wouldn't be hearing about it. Because it's Apple all 'flaws' are suddenly a huge thing.

Perhaps the mistake they need to correct is this media obsession with painting them as perfect so then folks will stop with the expectations.

Since you are implying that the issue could be caused by "shitty ATT coverage", do you think Apple can be responsible for choosing to stay exclusive with a carrier that provides "shitty" coverage?
  • Reply 382 of 444
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not like we have hands of Michael Farraday.

Oh now you didn't have to go and start cussing. Oh how that man Faraday and his Cage Effect complicates my life. I sometimes wish he would never had been born, maybe there would have never been a cage effect!
  • Reply 383 of 444
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I haven't seen you post any trollish comments...

Probably because my emotions are so far kind of in check.

Just got a Facebook message from the ex gf. It's the stage where she's asking for some of her stuff back. I think I've got more pressing issues to deal with than iPhone4 reception issues LOL.

Now, maybe I can ask her to give me back the 160GB external hard disk I gave her, screen protector I put for her iPhone, 802.11n wireless USB dongle... While I'm at it maybe I should de-format the reformat and reinstall of Windows7 for her PC I did.

There was a simple music keyboard which I said I would return, that's fine and I always wanted to return it, but she's asking for one of those tiny music speaker things she said she GAVE me, not lent. That's petty, and downright weird. Not that I want to keep it, it's $30 but... it feels weird.

I've got more pressing issues to deal with

Man divorce must be hell. When it's a $200,000 house and kids they're asking for, not a $30 speaker.
  • Reply 384 of 444
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Oh now you didn't have to go and start cussing. Oh how that man Faraday and his Cage Effect complicates my life. I sometimes wish he would never had been born, maybe there would have never been a cage effect!

Umm, you don't happen to use a microwave several times a month, do you? Seriously, the microwave is magic. There's like these invisible rays burning things but you can like look into the microwave while it's happening! AMAZING! Seriously, it's pretty cool, the microwave. Taken for granted far, far too often.
  • Reply 385 of 444
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Umm, you don't happen to use a microwave several times a month, do you? Seriously, the microwave is magic. There's like these invisible rays burning things but you can like look into the microwave while it's happening! AMAZING! Seriously, it's pretty cool, the microwave. Taken for granted far, far too often.

Nah, I certify installation, safety certs, and training syllabuses for Electrostatic liquid and powder coating systems. Mr. Faraday keeps us from painting 90 deg. inside corners.
  • Reply 386 of 444
    Quote:

Nah, I certify installation, safety certs, and training syllabuses for Electrostatic liquid and powder coating systems. Mr. Faraday keeps us from painting 90 deg. inside corners.

Can Mr Quantum Mechanics help you in that regard? Just wondering, with all that entanglement and Higgs boson and what not stuff when is all them subatomic shenanigans going to MAKE MAH TURKEY DINNER EVER MORE HOT AND TOASTY and... give me better iPhone4 reception.
  • Reply 387 of 444
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    This "issue" has been blown out of all proportion.

We have 3 of the new iPhones, and even when gripping it really firmly, and covering the separator at the top of the casing as well, cannot reproduce any decrease in bars, let alone dropped calls or loss of signal. This is clearly either an issue with a few phones, some problem with AT&T in the US (I'm on O2 in the UK), or some other variable I'm not thinking of, like having bluetooth devices paired?

Has anyone else tried and completely failed to reproduce this?

On a side note, everyone I know who are right-handed hold their phone in their right hand, and visa-versa. Is holding your phone in your off-hand some kind of international custom I am unaware of?
  • Reply 388 of 444
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Probably because my emotions are so far kind of in check.

That's good. There is no reason anyone should be emotional over this. Especially ones that aren't directly affected because they don't even own the device.

Quote:

I've got more pressing issues to deal with .

Pretty much everything I can think of is more pressing than this. The fact that it's pressing to anyone means there life is pretty fraking good.

Sorry to hear about your breakup. Now that is an situation that should be emotional.
  • Reply 389 of 444
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Someone said the below over on macr**ors.com:
    Quote:

I just spoke with an Apple Senior Advisor at tech support and he said their engineers are working on the issue and that he apologizes for the problem and Apple's previous statement. He said to keep my eyes peeled for a solution which he thinks will come soon and that holding it differently or having to buy a case is extremely unacceptable, so a real solution should be coming and they will make sure no customer is stuck with defects.

Can anyone else confirm this is happening?
  • Reply 390 of 444
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

Someone said the below over on macr**ors.com:

Can anyone else confirm this is happening?

I hope this is true. I will be first on line with cash in hand.
  • Reply 391 of 444
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

On a side note, everyone I know who are right-handed hold their phone in their right hand, and visa-versa. Is holding your phone in your off-hand some kind of international custom I am unaware of?

I imagine that all "right handers" would hold the iPhone in their left hand everytime they wanted to interact with the touch display .... no?
  • Reply 392 of 444
    rkrickrkrick Posts: 66member
    Quote:

We have 3 of the new iPhones, and even when gripping it really firmly, and covering the separator at the top of the casing as well, cannot reproduce any decrease in bars, let alone dropped calls or loss of signal. This is clearly either an issue with a few phones, some problem with AT&T in the US (I'm on O2 in the UK), or some other variable I'm not thinking of, like having bluetooth devices paired?

Everybody I know uses their off hand most of the time, that way you can actually work and talk at the same time. So let me ask, when you are on the phone, you never need to write anything down (i.e. a phone number, notes, etc.) or you just use your off- hand to write with?... strange...
  • Reply 393 of 444
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wildone View Post

So now we should buy bumpers or a case to add to the thickness or we are told that we are holding the phone wrong which is BS.

I think some of you who are feeling offended by this "wrong" accusation should remember that that's AppleInsider's choice of words, not Apple's. Apple has never said you are "holding your phone wrong." Here's what they said:

"Avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band."

I don't know if AppleInsider was careless or if they're trying to stir the pot, but their headline should have been something like "Apple says be mindful of antenna location for best reception."
  • Reply 394 of 444
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Video test is heavily biased. He's crowding the phone. The iPhone 4 can be gently touched, not shielding the screen in any way whatsoever and the phone loses bars and can lose signal completely.

If you got hit by a car you'd have to check your e-mail first to see if Steve Jobs agreed you'd got hit. If he didn't you'd have to deny it - just like you're denying this. Apple will fess up eventually, and you'll be: "well, eh, I didn't have the issue anyway." Go back to bullshit corner.

go back to your allday whine fest

crying like a mactripping glare screen teckstud baby

dude you and your asswipes almost have 10 pages of shite here

hijacked all day long
  • Reply 395 of 444
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I really have to wonder how many of the people that are whining about this issue actually have the new iPhone.

There's a big possibility that this issue has gone viral and it's the in thing at the moment to gripe about Apple.

As an example... I noticed that the main whiners on this forum are the regular bitch and moan crowd. Do you really have the new iPhone? Really?

I'd like to see some statistics regarding user satisfaction.

I know several people who received their new iPhones yesterday. Not one of them has the antenna problem or the screen problem hay has been widely reported.
  • Reply 396 of 444
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:

No bar drop after 2 full recharges!

I've done 2 full battery recharges and the bar drop all but disappeared. It was noticeable during the first day, less so after the first recharge, and now I've been squeezing the heck out of the phone for 30 min straight and it stubbornly stays at 5 bars.

Could it be that the whole thing is a combination of software/power management, and a conditioned battery responding much better to the changes in the antenna load? Notice, that all the negative responses appeared during the first day of use.
  • Reply 397 of 444
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I hope this is true. I will be first on line with cash in hand.

Unless we crack the Field Test Mode access we still won't know what they do to fix it. They might just make the carrier bars be less sensitive to certain types of signal degradation as determined by an algorithm so it appears that the issue is resolved. If I were running the show and this wasn't a design flaw, but instead an irrational mob mentality, that is exactly what I'd do to make them put out their torches and hang up their pitchforks.
  • Reply 398 of 444
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I emailed Thomas about thirty times so it would keep showing up in his inbox, somebody else made a post in the comments as well. It was not right watching 500 people cheering him as if he made the compilation.

Thank you! I noticed that too, I didn't mind it though. Thanks again, though.
  • Reply 399 of 444
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

go back to your allday whine fest

crying like a mactripping glare screen teckstud baby

dude you and your asswipes almost have 10 pages of shite here

hijacked all day long

tke poll and sell how many really have had their yellow phone explode

hey call me greece from now on

You can ignore me. I wish you would.
  • Reply 400 of 444
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Unless we crack the Field Test Mode access we still won't know what they do to fix it. They might just make the carrier bars be less sensitive to certain types of signal degradation as determined by an algorithm so it appears that the issue is resolved. If I were running the show and this wasn't a design flaw, but instead an irrational mob mentality, that is exactly what I'd do to make them put out their torches and hang up their pitchforks.

Like you said you don't know if this a design flaw. As of today Apple has not publicly acknowledged a hardware or software issue. It is user error. In the past, they have said an update was coming for a software related issue. If they told Mossberg it was software issue, then why not say so officially?

That being the said, why continue the flame with the phrase "irrational mob mentality"? Could not also the same be said of those who act irrationally in defense of Apple?

A design flaw is a very realistic possibility and one can only point to the Mighty Mouse and Cube to see that's a fact.