Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

1679111231

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 613
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Both, but apparently the point went right over your head.



    BTW, who do you work as a paid PR hack for? Fox News?



    You a Lib then?





    You tell me who you work for and I'll tell you who I work for.



    Quid pro quo?



    But it has to be verifiable. OK?
  • Reply 162 of 613
    eminenteminent Posts: 4member
    I have the 3GS.



    This week, I've noticed the phone switching from 3G to Edge in places where it's always been 3G...like my bedroom in an apartment in an urban setting.



    So, I lean towards it being the software instead of the hardware.



    Not to say that's going to stop the "critics" from praying that it's the hardware.
  • Reply 163 of 613
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post


    You a Lib then?



    No, I'm curious about your association with Glenn Beck. It goes right to the heart of the matter.



    Quote:

    You tell me who you work for and I'll tell you who I work for.



    Well, you admit to being a paid PR hack, and you're here trying to discredit AI. It's disingenuous of you not to come clean on your motives. It certainly looks like you have something to hide, perhaps some financial gain at stake. You really need to admit to your bias, let us know what positions you have in Apple stock or the stock of competitors. You really need to be honest here and just admit what you are up to.
  • Reply 164 of 613
    Quote:

    Readers report that Apple's tech support forums originally confirmed that a iOS 4.0.1 software fix addressing the issue would ship early next week (as early as Monday), before the comments were subsequently taken down along with all the other related discussion about the matter.



    WTF!!!?!?!?!! APPLE is worse than the "Dritte Reich" concerning information policy!

    "SIEG HEIL HERR JOBS" FUCK YOU APPLE YOU BUNCH OF ASSHOLES!

    They fucked the SUPERDRIVE and the WLAN of my old MBP and instead of admitting that they made a fault they just deleted the digital traces by killing discussion threads and removing any information about the defect update files pretending that there never were fatal updates which severely fucked up the firmware of components!



    CENSORSHIP is one of the worst things in the world and APPLE you SUCK!
  • Reply 165 of 613
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tschunde View Post


    WTF!!!?!?!?!! APPLE is worse than the "Dritte Reich" concerning information policy!

    "SIEG HEIL HERR JOBS"



    Godwin's law validated yet again.
  • Reply 166 of 613
    dksmidtxdksmidtx Posts: 13member
    I have not yet received my iPhone 4, but I have upgraded my iPhone 3Gs to iOS4. At random intervals, the upgraded 3Gs displays the SAME fading of signal bars as the videos circulating on the internet about the iPhone 4. Once placed on a flat surface away from your hand, they reappear at the same rate they disappeared. This does not happen every time, but I know it NEVER occurred before iOS4.



    I have been posting to many sites about this problem, and it is often dismissed as ?impossible? because this cannot be just a software problem, it has to be hardware related. Now it appears that Apple may "fix" this with 4.0.1. I am no engineer, but I suspect it is both hardware and software, and my intuition tells me that attenuation of the antennae may be a pre-existing problem that the OS software has not been accurately reflecting BEFORE iOS4. That would also explain the dropped call problem on AT&T using all my prior iPhone models (2, 3, 3Gs). My wife's various Blackberrys, and our kids LG and Moto phones, do not drop calls like my iPhone. Perhaps AT&T is NOT the only party at fault in this voice quality mess. What if the prior versions of the OS were incorrectly reporting signal strength and performance, and this has been fixed in the current iOS4? Even more importantly, if the imminent 4.0.1 is released and the problem (as reported on screen) is resolved. Has it just been hidden again?



    I don?t mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it is IMPOSSIBLE for my 3Gs, with its internal antennae, to exhibit the same behavior as an iPhone 4 supposedly ?bridged? by holding it wrong. This deserves an honest answer, and even perhaps a few apologies to AT&T.
  • Reply 167 of 613
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tschunde View Post


    WTF!!!?!?!?!! APPLE is worse than the "Dritte Reich" concerning information policy!

    "SIEG HEIL HERR JOBS" FUCK YOU APPLE YOU BUNCH OF ASSHOLES!

    They fucked the SUPERDRIVE and the WLAN of my old MBP and instead of admitting that they made a fault they just deleted the digital traces by killing discussion threads and removing any information about the defect update files pretending that there never were fatal updates which severely fucked up the firmware of components!



    CENSORSHIP is one of the worst things in the world and APPLE you SUCK!



    Keep it mind there's no proof these threads actually existed.



    If they fucked you before than I feel for you, but in this instance something tells me it might not be a simple software update to fix the issue. We'll see what happens.
  • Reply 168 of 613
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post


    My God man, this is exactly what I mean when I talk about passion for Apple products. The iPhone 4 has been front page news well before it was ever announced or released. There has always been praises and slanders, so nothing new there. The bottom line is that people are seeing, buying and using the iPhone 4 for themselves and continue to vote with their credit cards.



    The indisputable fact remains that after overwhelming pre-orders of the iPhone 4, the huge waiting lines to buy the Apple product are still overflowing across malls and streets all over the world where it has been available for several days.



    Evidently even the bashers are passionate as they hopelessly try to tare the bonds between Apple and their fans.



    Call me what you want, but the final "Non-Issue" verdict is being passed all over the world with credit cards right now. If the world says it's a "non-Issue", it's a "non-issue". The iPhone 4 will not be redesign and it will remain the most popular smart phone in the world because it's a "non-issue".



    Time will tell.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Well said, I totally agree. Certain people seem to be making a blogging career out of wanting Apple to have a major problem don't they? I have to think they will be very disappointed when this blows over and sales are through the roof.



    OK, I try to make this as cordial as possible.



    1) Reception problems be they hardware or software: It's clear that a number of people are having reception issues with the iPhone. Is it hardware, is it software? We don't know. However, it's a problem nonetheless for many people. Holding the iPhone in the same mannor as any other smartphone results in dropped bars, and for others, dropped calls and loss of internet connection/speed drops.



    It is not acceptable to tell a customer that "You are holding it wrong" when it is the natural way that most people would hold their smartphone -- especially when Apple's promos show people holding the phone in the exact same way.



    2) People complaining about their phone not working as advertised: A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".



    I'm sorry, if the phone is having issues, why wouldn't you try to bring attention to that fact instead of shutting up and keeping quiet? What's the point of being passive about the matter? You buy a $200 or $300 device and you can't use it properly without holding it unnaturally? That's a big problem that needs to be addressed.



    I even went to the Apple Store in Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to purchase a Bumper to try to alleviate the problem, but they were out of stock. I talked to a genius there about the reception problems and he acknowledged that customers were having problems. He had no answer as to how it would be fixed and said basically "Apple hasn't told us anything yet, so we don't have anything new to tell you at this moment".



    3) If iPhone 4 sales numbers are through the roof, that means that this is a "non-issues": Again, this sounds ridiculous to me. The iPhone 4 is so popular that many people would buy them despite what problems it may have. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not have any problems at all. Some people may buy an iPhone 4, discover a reception problem, then change their habits to hold the phone in a different, unnatural way. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not care one way or the other.



    But one thing still remains -- if there is an underlying problem with the phone that causes reception issues, blockbuster sales numbers do not change the fact that there is indeed a problem at hand.



    4) "You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby. All that matters are sales numbers: When I hear comments like these, I can't help but think are you guys regular customers, or PR people for Apple or Apple shareholders. What regular customer do you know of that cares how many phones or computers some company sells? Most only care that the product that they receive works. I don't understand the need for people on these forums to stick up for Apple even if a problem has been detected.



    It's almost as if some people here seem to think that any negativity towards Apple is going to affect their AAPL share prices. Here's a heads up, regular consumers don't give a crap about your share prices; they care about having a device that works.
  • Reply 169 of 613
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post


    It was abundantly clear that my claim was based on "Daniel's" track record as the most prolific Apple apologist/suck-up pseudo "journalist" that this forum or any other except perhaps MacDailyNews has ever witnessed. Show me one of his "articles" that isn't an attack on one of Apple's Enemies du jour, or some overly flattering pump piece that promotes Apple. You can't?



    Actually, that wasn't abundantly clear to the average reader. You stated bullshit as if it were known fact.





    Quote:

    I rest my case.



    Resting your keyboard would be more beneficial.





    Quote:

    What astonishes me about your attack on me is that you didn't take the time to consider whether what I wrote might be true. You simply decide it wasn't and went for it. Doesn't that make you wonder about your motives?



    I didn't decide it wasn't true. I decided it wasn't proven (or really even attempted to be) but was stated as if it were a matter of record and filed it appropriately.





    Quote:

    If you have the courage of your convictions, then you'll show me where "daniel's" opinions are stated as such. Your claim. I'm waiting.



    I'm not sure I'm understanding your question and I've got a vacation to get to.
  • Reply 170 of 613
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Given that this 'death grip' issue clearly appears to be hardware/design based (yes, I'm holding an iPhone 4 right now, so save the nonsensical accusations to the contrary), there should be absolutely no surprise if all Apple does is tweak a bit of code forcing the signal meter show more bars than it actually has, no matter the actual signal strength.



    We'll See Soon Enough...
  • Reply 171 of 613
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    No, I'm curious about your association with Glenn Beck. It goes right to the heart of the matter.



    Well, you admit to being a paid PR hack, and you're here trying to discredit AI. It's disingenuous of you not to come clean on your motives. It certainly looks like you have something to hide, perhaps some financial gain at stake. You really need to admit to your bias, let us know what positions you have in Apple stock or the stock of competitors. You really need to be honest here and just admit what you are up to.



    Glenn Beck? Perhaps that's an American thing. You should explain.



    Disingenuous? Hardly. I've already outed myself as being in the business.



    I'm not discrediting AI at all. AI isn't Daniel Eran Dilger and his aliases.



    I am pointing out that DED isn't an unbiased source of info though. Actually, if anyone here has paid some real attention to what he says and the inflammatory language he uses to say it, it would be really obvious to them. But hey... best you look at a few of his pieces and then tell me you disagree.



    So you're wrong. My motives are exactly the same as yours - I feel the desire to express my opinions on a blog. I hold no Apple stock at this time although I have had in the past. Frankly, I don't have enough spare dineros to hold much of a holding in any stocks right now. But I own a beachfront cabin on a nice bay. (OK. It's a share. I don't own the whole thing).



    I posted here after lurking for some years because this time Apple has fücked up and I can't believe that there are a core of people who are defending it. Like somehow it's OK to design some crummy unApple piece of kit and pretend that it's ok. It's not.



    So I add my voice to the Apple customers who want to express the view that if there's a design fault in the iP4, Apple needs to come clean and fix it. Really fix it. Not apply some bandaid.



    And of course to point out that DED is as much a journalist as I am. Which is to say, not.



    But you needn't believe me. I'll remind people from time to time though.



  • Reply 172 of 613
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Are you sure? I truly believed and assumed he did since he almost single handedly insulted anyone with one saying it worked fine! Surely you are mistaken, he would not base all his vitriol and attacks on hearsay and media that was itself feeding of blogs ... that would be a feed-back loop of massive proportions!



    THERE IS A MASSIVE NYC AND SANFRN SIGNAL PROBLEM LASTING 31 MONTHS NOW

    i know at least 100 iphone 3g users

    at least

    i work in midtown nyc where the walls stack upon dozens of other walls block ATT shitty tower service

    Verizon gives less signal over all but calls rarely get dropped

    i even now receive call's on the 1 train with verizon



    so with massive buys in nyc and san fran of the 4phone there will be bad reception//

    and apple does have a minor as of now signal blocked problem

    a bumper is the answer maybe

    i do not own an iphone

    but i will now buy one today

    32g wifi model black

    ATT rates are not so bad and i download most of my stuff on my 15 in MBP

    i will accept dropped calls

    i may buy a verizon MIFI card to boost my signal



    on the other hand ireland seemed cool for yrs now

    and his first 10x posts made sence

    yet he over blown cryBABY diatribes WHILE NOT EVEN OWNING A IPHONE 4

    MACTIPPER STLYE TROLLING



    ANYWAY maybe ireland had a bad day or something



    apple had a good day



    i will take the plunge today !!!!!



    my wife is gonna shoot me !!!!!



    9
  • Reply 173 of 613
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    OK, I try to make this as cordial as possible.



    1) Reception problems be they hardware or software: It's clear that a number of people are having reception issues with the iPhone. Is it hardware, is it software? We don't know. However, it's a problem nonetheless for many people. Holding the iPhone in the same mannor as any other smartphone results in dropped bars, and for others, dropped calls and loss of internet connection/speed drops.



    It is not acceptable to tell a customer that "You are holding it wrong" when it is the natural way that most people would hold their smartphone -- especially when Apple's promos show people holding the phone in the exact same way.



    2) People complaining about their phone not working as advertised: A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".



    I'm sorry, if the phone is having issues, why wouldn't you try to bring attention to that fact instead of shutting up and keeping quiet? What's the point of being passive about the matter? You buy a $200 or $300 device and you can't use it properly without holding it unnaturally? That's a big problem that needs to be addressed.



    I even went to the Apple Store in Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to purchase a Bumper to try to alleviate the problem, but they were out of stock. I talked to a genius there about the reception problems and he acknowledged that customers were having problems. He had no answer as to how it would be fixed and said basically "Apple hasn't told us anything yet, so we don't have anything new to tell you at this moment".



    3) If iPhone 4 sales numbers are through the roof, that means that this is a "non-issues": Again, this sounds ridiculous to me. The iPhone 4 is so popular that many people would buy them despite what problems it may have. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not have any problems at all. Some people may buy an iPhone 4, discover a reception problem, then change their habits to hold the phone in a different, unnatural way. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not care one way or the other.



    But one thing still remains -- if there is an underlying problem with the phone that causes reception issues, blockbuster sales numbers do not change the fact that there is indeed a problem at hand.



    4) "You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby. All that matters are sales numbers: When I hear comments like these, I can't help but think are you guys regular customers, or PR people for Apple or Apple shareholders. What regular customer do you know of that cares how many phones or computers some company sells? Most only care that the product that they receive works. I don't understand the need for people on these forums to stick up for Apple even if a problem has been detected.



    It's almost as if some people here seem to think that any negativity towards Apple is going to affect their AAPL share prices. Here's a heads up, regular consumers don't give a crap about your share prices; they care about having a device that works.



    in a week all this will be old hat

    iphones have always dropped calls since 2008

    nothing new

    try best buy for the bumper

    they are on the market for other phones .

    good luck dude
  • Reply 174 of 613
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Godwin's law validated yet again.



    But it's always validated after Cretin's Law, which states, "the faster and larger an online discussion grows, the probability of a civilized conversation based on the original topic approaches 0."



  • Reply 175 of 613
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post


    Hate trolls?

    Stop reading g3pro comments.



    Bing!
  • Reply 176 of 613
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    in a week all this will be old hat



    I think you're right.
  • Reply 177 of 613
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    But it's always validated after Cretin's Law, which states, "the faster and larger an online discussion grows, the probability of a civilized conversation based on the original topic approaches 0."







    I try to keep my discussions civil. Name calling and blowing your top rarely gets you anywhere
  • Reply 178 of 613
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    OK, so you accept that DED is the flack I portray him to be, but I didn't offer the evidence you needed to agree with me. My apologies - to be fair I'd hoped that most people would have worked that out for themselves, but I understand you've been busy trying to rid the internet of trolls and such and probably didn't have the time,







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post


    I'm not sure I'm understanding your question and I've got a vacation to get to.



    That's ok. Have a great vacation.
  • Reply 179 of 613
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    OK, I try to make this as cordial as possible.



    1) Reception problems be they hardware or software: It's clear that a number of people are having reception issues with the iPhone. Is it hardware, is it software? We don't know. However, it's a problem nonetheless for many people. Holding the iPhone in the same mannor as any other smartphone results in dropped bars, and for others, dropped calls and loss of internet connection/speed drops.



    It is not acceptable to tell a customer that "You are holding it wrong" when it is the natural way that most people would hold their smartphone -- especially when Apple's promos show people holding the phone in the exact same way.



    2) People complaining about their phone not working as advertised: A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".



    I'm sorry, if the phone is having issues, why wouldn't you try to bring attention to that fact instead of shutting up and keeping quiet? What's the point of being passive about the matter? You buy a $200 or $300 device and you can't use it properly without holding it unnaturally? That's a big problem that needs to be addressed.



    I even went to the Apple Store in Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to purchase a Bumper to try to alleviate the problem, but they were out of stock. I talked to a genius there about the reception problems and he acknowledged that customers were having problems. He had no answer as to how it would be fixed and said basically "Apple hasn't told us anything yet, so we don't have anything new to tell you at this moment".



    3) If iPhone 4 sales numbers are through the roof, that means that this is a "non-issues": Again, this sounds ridiculous to me. The iPhone 4 is so popular that many people would buy them despite what problems it may have. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not have any problems at all. Some people may buy an iPhone 4, discover a reception problem, then change their habits to hold the phone in a different, unnatural way. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not care one way or the other.



    But one thing still remains -- if there is an underlying problem with the phone that causes reception issues, blockbuster sales numbers do not change the fact that there is indeed a problem at hand.



    4) "You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby. All that matters are sales numbers: When I hear comments like these, I can't help but think are you guys regular customers, or PR people for Apple or Apple shareholders. What regular customer do you know of that cares how many phones or computers some company sells? Most only care that the product that they receive works. I don't understand the need for people on these forums to stick up for Apple even if a problem has been detected.



    It's almost as if some people here seem to think that any negativity towards Apple is going to affect their AAPL share prices. Here's a heads up, regular consumers don't give a crap about your share prices; they care about having a device that works.



    That was an awesome post! I was in the middle of writing the same post in my head then read your and now I don't have to...



    Thanks for expressing my thoughts.

    I am not anti Apple. I have tons of their products in my home. I will continue to buy Apple products BUT they need to just step up to the plate and admit a problem and take the action to correct the problem. Whether that means a software update or a hardware replacement. This whole issue will not Apple from selling millions of phone world wide....it will not stop their bottom line from from going evermore into the black......



    You can't just say you are holding it wrong when Steve in his keynote does the exact same thing. If this were any other company but Apple they would get a very public media bashing from everyone!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK37dysPPzU
  • Reply 180 of 613
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    It was fairly obvious that the way Steve Jobs was holding his iPhone in the announcement that he was having trouble with reception.
Sign In or Register to comment.