Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Comments

• Reply 201 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I am the biggest Apple supported there is. I brag about how great the Apple experience is and how they are the best products on the market. I have 2 iMacs a Macbook Pro a Macbook a iPad and 2 iPhones in my household right now.

BUT my new iPhone 4 looses signal from FULL signal to SEARCHING if I hold my phone wrong!!!!!!

Now go back and read why I said "exactly" to part of the post written by solipsism.

If you consider yourself a troll without a phone spewing out hatred and hyperbole... then fine... you're included... if you own a phone and have a legitimate beef... fine... but learn to read.

... btw... I've never seen Apple get a pass on any of their mistakes. The bs you've seen on here in the last few days is the exact type of bs you see every time Apple slips. Do you remember the wifi reception problems with the iPad? ... or is your memory as bad as your reading comprehension.
  • Reply 202 of 613
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

Wrong. The LA Times has no such story on the front page.

http://www.latimes.com/includes/sectionfronts/A1.pdf

You're assuming that anyone outside of LA LA Land thinks the LA Times is a major newspaper.
  • Reply 203 of 613
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Mossberg did mention it. He also said it didn't affect the call quality: - June 20, 2010-

"Yet, in some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor. Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars. However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting "no service" or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this."

Where? All I see is him saying that it was still able to place calls in NEARLY all the cases. Which means there were some cases in which the call couldn't go through. He didn't say (at least in this quote) anything about the actual quality of a call. This issue apple was able to explain as a problem with how the bars are presented.

However, the end references a separate issue-- in which the phone showed no service or searching for service. This issue apple was not able to explain.
  • Reply 204 of 613
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

You're assuming that anyone outside of LA LA Land thinks the LA Times is a major newspaper.

It used to be. That's the saddest thing. Thank the Zells of Chicago for that.
  • Reply 205 of 613
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Wow...So I had a 3Gs and it worked perfectly for me.

Mea culpa. You did refer your experience with your 3GS, not every 3GS.

Quote:

I upgraded to a new iPhone 4. Now if I use my new phone exactly like my old phone I loose my signal. I am not comparing it to any other phone in the world or any other carrier in the world. My situation is that my 3Gs work great. My 4G looses signal if I hold it wrong. If I hold it exactly like Steve did in his keynote presentation I loose signal.

I'd be getting a new one until this problem is resolved. I had to get 3 AppleTVs replaced within a month before I had one that worked right. I now have a mid-2010 13" MBP that doesn't come close to holding the battery charge for 10 hours and is incapable of resetting the PRAM. I'll be getting this fixed next week.

Quote:

So I post about this issue here and now you are labeling me a troll? Did I get that part right? I did not post about any other situation. I did not post claiming Apple is doomed!

Nope, never labeled you a troll. I said you weren't being objective by stating it is a "design flaw". This isn't binary labeling. There isn't just troll and objectivity. Nothing in your comments seem trollish to me.

Quote:

Checkout the Apple Support forums. There are others with the same issue.

But take the posts in the forums with a grain of salt...They do not generally post on the support forms to say all is well...

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1378

I'm sure there are plenty of people with the issue. That isn't in question.
  • Reply 206 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

HA! Good point.
  • Reply 207 of 613
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it's always validated after Cretin's Law, which states, "the faster and larger an online discussion grows, the probability of a civilized conversation based on the original topic approaches 0."

Right on. This round has gotten way off track and is now approaching useless.
  • Reply 208 of 613
    I upgraded my old 3G to iOS4 on the day it was released. Boy, am I sorry. Steve wasn't kidding when he said the processor wasn't even strong enough to run the wallpaper feature. Truth be told, it isn't strong enough to run any of it. I am going to restore the old OS as soon as I can. Every process on the phone has slowed down--it's now a slug. My advice to all, unless you have a 3G(s), don't upgrade.
  • Reply 209 of 613
    brawnrbrawnr Posts: 11member
    It's on the front page of The Daily Telegraph here in the UK - a well respected national broadsheet.
  • Reply 210 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I upgraded my old 3G to iOS4 on the day it was released. Boy, am I sorry. Steve wasn't kidding when he said the processor wasn't even strong enough to run the wallpaper feature. Truth be told, it isn't strong enough to run any of it. I am going to restore the old OS as soon as I can. Every process on the phone has slowed down--it's now a slug. My advice to all, unless you have a 3G(s), don't upgrade.

My iPod Touch is also sluggish after the update. I might downgrade the OS too.
  • Reply 211 of 613
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Apparently it IS perfectly acceptable to tell people where to hold their phones.

See page 6 of the 'HTC Incredible Manual'.

http://member.america.htc.com/downlo...d-Warranty.pdf
  • Reply 212 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I see that you are quite artful in dodging direct questions. Questions that deserve direct answers. Take this for instance:

You don't say if you are shorting Apple stock, you don't say if you own competitor's stock, you give no sense of how much "much" is. And you still refuse to divulge who you work for. This is hypocrisy indeed!

And, I also note that you still haven't denied your involvement with Glenn Beck in the murder of a girl in 1990. Very clever to use words that imply you don't know him without actually coming right out and denying your association with him.

You sir, look guiltier and guiltier by the second.

Damn you sound like an idiot. Talking about others when 99% of the time you post without saying anything.
  • Reply 213 of 613
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brawnr View Post

It's on the front page of The Daily Telegraph here in the UK - a well respected national broadsheet.

It's all over every major news outlet. Regardless of whether this is a design flaw, a manufacturing defect, a software defect, or even if it's nothing at all but actual hysteria, Apple has totally blown the PR on this issue. It's gotten away from them and they are getting bad press left and right. And, even if it were to turn out to be nothing, the damage will have been done -- most people won't even read or see or hear the followup store that says it was no big deal. (That was just a hypothetical resolution, I'm not coming down on either side of the issue at this point.)

I think they still have a chance to salvage the PR, but I don't think their usual strategy of just keeping quiet is going to work.

(I'm not saying that they are totally screwed, but I do think they can end up with a serious black eye from this issue, regardless of how it turns out, if they just let the traditional media and blogosphere run wild with it.)
  • Reply 214 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Apparently it IS perfectly acceptable to tell people where to hold their phones.

Oh, this is rich! Copy this link for use as troll repellent.
  • Reply 215 of 613
    Quote:

...but there's a difference between "optimises antenna performance" and the phone being useless if you touch it here.
  • Reply 216 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Damn you sound like an idiot. Talking about others when 99% of the time you post without saying anything.

Dude, he's kidding. I wondered for a moment too until I read the Glenn Beck part. Facetiousness can easily be mistaken.
  • Reply 217 of 613
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

But I don't want to compare my experience with any other company other than Apple. If I hold my 4G like they did in the keynote presentation then I lose signal down to 'searching" then "No Service".

Hopefully it is a very very small percentage that has this issue and I can return my phone and get one that does not have this issue. I just want it to work......
  • Reply 218 of 613
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yes, well, the difference between us in that regard is that in the post you are quoting, I intend to sound like an idiot, although, I thought the OP would have caught on by now that I'm jerking his chain to point out to him that he does too. You, I know, are able to accomplish this feat of sounding like an idiot without even trying.

I will also invite anyone interested, to go look at my posting history and see that, as usual, you post with utter disregard for the truth. Bit of a habit with you, isn't it?
  • Reply 219 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brawnr View Post

...but there's a difference between "optimises antenna performance" and the phone being useless if you touch it here.

There would be a difference if it were totally useless. But serious reviewers (Mossberg, etc.) don't claim "useless," just less than optimal. Therefore, the reference if perfectly apropos.
  • Reply 220 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's all over every major news outlet.

On my Yahoo News page, I see stories from AP, Reuters, CNBC, LA Times. I see one story under Technology News about the reception problems. It's not "all over".