iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish

Comments

• Reply 121 of 338
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

Honestly, the author epitomizes "fanboyness", although we can expect nothing less as every article on this site is the same. No criticism, only praise. Really, can't you for once show a bit of journalistic integrity and write a somewhat objective article? Praising virtually every component of every Apple product is, frankly, sickening and pathetic. Give yourself a douchebag high 5 on the way out..

What seems even funnier is that you know this to be true and yet you hang around and make comments, as if your comment is intended to change anything. It seems that your just pissed that Apple releases high end products and the team your on does not.
  • Reply 122 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Wow, that Kool Aid sure tastes great, huh?

Let's see. I have an iPhone 4 that's functioning perfectly with none of the issues others are unfortunately experiencing, it looks fantastic and is protected. Yeah, I guess my Kool Aid does taste pretty good.

Seriously, the article addressed the fine fit and finish of the iPhone 4, to which I noted the Bumper is a complement rather than a detraction. It's just my opinion, obviously, but I thought some readers (both posters and non-posters) in this forum might appreciate a more detailed description of the aesthetics of the Bumper as it relates to the design of the iPhone 4. Obviously, that intention was lost on many here. And that's okay too.
  • Reply 123 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'll tell you what have done. They have told us to: "just don't hold it in that way". Or buy one of the many cases available.

If you are gullible enough then they have done the right thing for you, their customer. If you are being honest with yourself, they have just fucked up a product royally, and blamed you the customer for holding the product wrong. They have just kicked in the balls after taking your money. To accept that it stupid. And it doesn't even serve to make Apple a better company. All it serves them with is the knowledge if they fuck up with something as stupid as putting a mobile phone antenna right where you hold the phone normally their customers will sit there and take it like a bunch of idiot zombies.

Question: If it is firmware fixable, why didn't Steve just say that?

Because the only info I have that it is software fixable is a very shady story on Apple Insider.

First: I got my iPhone 4 at 11:04 on June 23-- 1 day early. That was slightly less than 4 days ago! If there is a problem, and I suspect there is, there has hardly been enough time to:

-- quantify what percentage of devices/users are experiencing the problem

-- what is the cause of the problem

-- what are the potential solutions to the problem

Second: Steve gave one of his abrasive terse answers*, followed by a more PR-like answer. While the terse answer, understandably, irritated those with the problem, it has set the blogs afire -- even from those, like yourself, who don't have the device (and, thus don't have the problem).

Steve could have come out with the classic PR-Speak: "We understand the issue; We have our best people looking into it; We will let you know!" This would had satisfied no one and, likely, caused worse anger than his terse answer.

* Patient: "Doctor, I get pain in the joints!"

Doctor: "Stop going into the joints!"

Third: We live in a very regulated and litigious society-- where it is almost fatal (legally or regulatorally [sic]) for an executive to admit that a product has a deficiency. Right or wrong, they are better served by saying as little as possible-- witness 2 recent examples of the CEOs of BP and Toyota.

It needs to be said that: while a CEO has responsibility to his customers, he also has a responsibility to his shareholders.

Fourth: In the end, it's not what Apple (or anybody) says, its what they do!

In the post you [partially] quoted, I was trying to point out where Apple had taken appropriate actions to similar problems-- where they did the right thing!

Fifth: It has only been 4 days... there hasn't been enough time to know how this will end.

I have enjoyed reading your posts on these forums. You normally present yourself well, with reasoned opinions and cite facts to support those opinions. I understand that you (as well as I and many other Apple fans/shareholders) are upset/disappointed in an "apparent" royal screw-up-- if you believe the blogs. What I don't understand is the level of vitriol in your posts about this problem.

I, will be first to join you: if a significant problem exists and Apple tries to finesse it with cheap talk or a bumper.

But, let's let the story play out...

It's important to see what Apple does!

Based, on 32 years of history, I suspect that Apple will do the right thing by its customers, dealers and shareholders!

• Reply 124 of 338
    Quote:

A lot of people are expecting a software fix Monday or Tuesday, frankly something tells me we won't be seeing it.

I'll make a gentleman's wager that this iPhone 4 issue will be resolved before we see full Flash released and available on any smart phone!

• Reply 125 of 338
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    I dont have the iPhone 4 , but am using a 3G.

Until the iphone was released I had never owned an Apple product.

Once I usd a friends iPhone I knew I had to have one. So I used a 2G , then purchased a used 3G. I am fortanate in that AT&T provides excellent coverage in Georgia.

This year I decided to make the switch to a Macbook Pro and really enjoying that purchase. Never have I Hated or Loved Apple, but the remark made by S Jobs really bothered me. I dont consider myself a fanboy of anything , I just like products that work.

Apple hasnt made a case for any iPhone in the past that I am aware of. Now they make one and it is also the "Fix" for the signal issue? If this was a MS phone many of you would be laughing at the people having to use a bumer to get phone signal.

Apple needs to come out with something other then "Hold it differently"

And if they start giving out Free bumpers that will be what pushes me to the Droid.
  • Reply 126 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I sure hate it for those unfortunate customers. Both of the phones we bought work beautifully. I realize there's an issue, unfortunately, the people who aren't having problems don't chime in to let the world know their device works, and works great. I suspect, and I could be wrong, that out of the millions of iPhones Apple will sell, only a very small percentage will actually have problems.

Mine works flawlessly, and I'm letting the world know. Others should do the same.

As does mine. I don't come close to holding it in a way that covers that black strip, holding it in my left hand and I'm a righty. I've covered it up and watched those bars go down, but my call neither distorted or dropped. But apparently if the bars go down on the screen this upsets people.

This isn't the first time the iPhone was criticized over this issue. The first one in 2007, same thing. It was widely reported, but not as much because the device wasn't as established and not as many people bought it. Identical wharrglebarrgle was written and paid for on user comment pages by Apple's competitors and bloviating drama queen tech addicts, saying the exact same thing, that you can't hold it. Look it up. The phone did fine, and this one has already done fine, despite the same anti-hysteria hysteria.
  • Reply 127 of 338
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

First: I got my iPhone 4 at 11:04 on June 23-- 1 day early. That was slightly less than 4 days ago! If there is a problem, and I suspect there is, there has hardly been enough time to:

[...]

It's important to see what Apple does!

Based, on 32 years of history, I suspect that Apple will do the right thing by its customers, dealers and shareholders!

Well reasoned response as always. I think you can teach us all something about critical thinking.
  • Reply 128 of 338
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

Steve has said at least twice that a patch is imminent. I believe Mossberg was the first to report that Apple is aware of this bug and a patch is due soon. I'm trying to figure out why people keep glossing over this fact - eh, I know why.

lol @ antenna scientist. I hope he's smarter than that one retina display scientist.
  • Reply 129 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerPlanck View Post

As does mine. I don't come close to holding it in a way that covers that black strip, holding it in my left hand and I'm a righty. I've covered it up and watched those bars go down, but my call neither distorted or dropped. But apparently if the bars go down on the screen this upsets people.

This isn't the first time the iPhone was criticized over this issue. The first one in 2007, same thing. It was widely reported, but not as much because the device wasn't as established and not as many people bought it. Identical wharrglebarrgle was written and paid for on user comment pages by Apple's competitors and bloviating drama queen tech addicts, saying the exact same thing, that you can't hold it. Look it up. The phone did fine, and this one has already done fine, despite the same anti-hysteria hysteria.

Like my posts, yours will be glossed over, too. They don't want to hear anything in stark contradiction to what they chose to believe. However, you'll get an "amen brother" for calling Steve a shitbag.
  • Reply 130 of 338
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Steve has said at least twice that a patch is imminent. I believe Mossberg was the first to report that Apple is aware of this bug and a patch is due soon. I'm trying to figure out why people keep glossing over this fact - eh, I know why.

If it can be fixed with a SW update then it's not a design flaw and 4 days of beating at the castle doors will be for naught.

Quote:

lol @ antenna scientist. I hope he's smarter than that one retina display scientist.

Despite being a real thing, the term "antenna scientist" is pretty damn funny sounding.
  • Reply 131 of 338
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Let's see. I have an iPhone 4 that's functioning perfectly with none of the issues others are unfortunately experiencing, it looks fantastic and is protected. Yeah, I guess my Kool Aid does taste pretty good.

Seriously, the article addressed the fine fit and finish of the iPhone 4, to which I noted the Bumper is a complement rather than a detraction. It's just my opinion, obviously, but I thought some readers (both posters and non-posters) in this forum might appreciate a more detailed description of the aesthetics of the Bumper as it relates to the design of the iPhone 4. Obviously, that intention was lost on many here. And that's okay too.

Ah, there's some fight in this one...
  • Reply 132 of 338
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Steve gave one of his abrasive terse answers*, followed by a more PR-like answer. While the terse answer, understandably, irritated those with the problem, it has set the blogs afire -- even from those, like yourself, who don't have the device (and, thus don't have the problem).

Terse? I hate to break it to you, but you may be misunderstanding the word terse.

If this is fixable with a software update, the answer was "incorrect". Not simply, terse. The usual terse e-mail from Jobs is something like: "soon" etc. This was different. This was, if it's fixable with a software update, factually incorrect, not to mention extremely insulting. This is a new level of low for Jobs, I hate to break it to you. Whether I own the phone or not changes none of this.
  • Reply 133 of 338
    Quote:

I'll make a gentleman's wager that this iPhone 4 issue will be resolved before we see full Flash released and available on any smart phone!

Unreleated.
  • Reply 134 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

I dont have the iPhone 4 , but am using a 3G.

Until the iphone was released I had never owned an Apple product.

Once I usd a friends iPhone I knew I had to have one. So I used a 2G , then purchased a used 3G. I am fortanate in that AT&T provides excellent coverage in Georgia.

This year I decided to make the switch to a Macbook Pro and really enjoying that purchase. Never have I Hated or Loved Apple, but the remark made by S Jobs really bothered me. I dont consider myself a fanboy of anything , I just like products that work.

Apple hasnt made a case for any iPhone in the past that I am aware of. Now they make one and it is also the "Fix" for the signal issue? If this was a MS phone many of you would be laughing at the people having to use a bumer to get phone signal.

And if they start giving out Free bumpers that will be what pushes me to the Droid.

Get ready to be wrongly labelled to a troll.
  • Reply 135 of 338
    donarbdonarb Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

Face Time seems incomplete. It needs to work as a phone call AND as iChat, not a combination of both while being neither. I guess a software update can fix that but it seems silly to have to switch from a phone call to WiFi.

One of the reasons that FaceTime currently uses WiFi is because the 3G data channel is not symmetrical (downloading is faster than uploading). At the moment, if you were to use FaceTime over 3G, you would get that awful lag like you see on TV when they do interviews over satellite.
  • Reply 136 of 338
    Quote:

Steve has said at least twice that a patch is imminent.

Steve also said: "just don't hold it in that way".
  • Reply 137 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Despite being a real thing, the term "antenna scientist" is pretty damn funny sounding.

That's 'cause you've never heard it before. Zing!
  • Reply 138 of 338
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Get ready to be wrongly labelled to a troll.

He's not spamming the forum over a problem he doesn't have with a phone he doesn't own.
  • Reply 139 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

He's not spamming the forum over a problem he doesn't have with a phone he doesn't own.

Get ready to be labeled a fanboi.
  • Reply 140 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WasteLayer View Post

Jesus dude, get a room. I love the product too but not enough to drool all over the eyes of everyone reading the review.

"The new phone demands a sense of reverence, almost as if you're unworthy to use it." Really? I should feel unworthy to use a phone?

Your delusions are out of hand. I recommend some ssrious in-patient therapy.

I'm glad to see several people responding to this "article" in this fashion.

I've avoided Apple like the PLAGUE because for 20 years, it has never changed. There are a lot of fanboys out there--but Apple definitely has the biggest religious following.

This "review" was more of a love letter. What a joke.

PS - I just picked up an Ipad so I've been trying to keep up. Unfortunately, it's hard to avoid fluff like this.