iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish

Comments

• Reply 261 of 338
    410sa410sa Posts: 8member
    The TomTom mount does not work due to the thinner size of the 4, but a solution was posted in some forum somewhere, when I did a Google search and it is very simple.

http://www.cultofmac.com/heres-a-sim...t-how-to/48482

There is a movable switch right behind the connector and the thinness of the phone does not depress it adequately when placed in the dock. The suggestion to fix this is to place a piece of sticky back Velcro (the soft side) on the switch, which then brings the back of the phone into contact with the switch and depresses it sufficiently to make contact, charge the phone and allow the speaker to work.

Stunningly simple and effective, especially in light of the response to my question from TomTom which basically told me I was SOL until they developed a new product.
  • Reply 262 of 338
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Based, on 32 years of history, I suspect that Apple will do the right thing by its customers, dealers and shareholders!

Excellent post. Unfortunately your use of logic and reason will frighten and confuse those who only understand emotional knee jerk responses
  • Reply 263 of 338
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apparently if you have hands, and you hold it like a regular iPhone, you are unworthy to use it.

Give it a rest brother. We got your point. However, I still have better reception with this phone than I did with my 3GS
  • Reply 264 of 338
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

Why other consumer product manufacturers have not discovered the same is a matter of debate, but a lot of inertia exists with traditional techniques and few companies take the risks that have been the hallmark of Apple. Another possibility is that just as Apple has come to dominate the demand side for flash memory and certain LCDs, they may well have soaked up the CNC machine industry manufacturing capacity, effectively locking others out of the ability to adopt CNC at a mass level.

As solipsism pointed out, Apple's extreme minimalism when it comes to product lines probably has more to do with this than anything else. It's how they no doubt get true economy of scale.
  • Reply 265 of 338
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    It may be a lot of things to a lot of people. But even a fool would recognize that it is anything but an investment. It's value drops, like any modern consumer product, from the minute you open the packaging and put your fingers on the screen.
  • Reply 266 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

But I'm sure the "call failed" message looks beautiful in hi def.

• Reply 267 of 338
    voxxvoxx Posts: 6member
    Good article. Lets hope that Apple comes through with a fix the people having connection problems with their iPhones. I haven't been able to replicate the problem myself so I consider myself lucky.
  • Reply 268 of 338
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    There is no reception issue. Stay tuned.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/

Steve needs to stop answering emails himself for a while. As reassuring as it sounds coming from "the man himself" (if it is true)... He's just creating more chaos, if he's wrong and Apple resolves the issue (or lack thereof) in a different way.

This is micromanaging, or what I would say randomanaging and has the potential to go quite bad. Especially after the "Don't hold it that way" stuff.
  • Reply 269 of 338
    chillinchillin Posts: 59member
    1st Gen

iPhone1,1 - iPhone

iPhone1,2 - iPhone 3G

the first two iPhones are considered the same hardware generation due to the hardware being very similar (effectively the same, but for upgraded radio and gps chip)

2nd Gen

iPhone2,1 - iPhone 3GS

new processor, faster, totally new hw platform

3rd Gen

iPhone3,1 - iPhone 4

new processor, totally new hw platform

-----

iPhone 4 is the 4th iPhone, but it is only the third generation of iPhone
  • Reply 270 of 338
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:

The iPhone 4 is beautiful. The iPhone 4 feels solid. The iPhone 4 is thin. The iPhone 4 is physically smaller and sleek. The iPhone 4 is simple to use. The iPhone 4 has one of the best displays out there. The iPhone 4 is fast! The iPhone 4 has the best OS out there. The iPhone 4 has super cameras. The iPhone 4 has the best games and third parry apps. The iPhone 4 has it all?

But this new iPhone 4 has a big issue, and until that big issue is properly addressed I won't be buying an iPhone 4, and I certainly won't be recommending it. This: "just don't hold it in that way" crap is a big deal, and Steve needs to get his head out of his ass if he thinks people are going to accept it. The word on the street is hold off on purchasing an iPhone 4 until we know more. And the word is spreading. I want an iPhone 4 like the next guy, I have the money up stairs for it in fact. But this antenna debacle isn't going away anytime soon. Apple needs to wake up and fix the issue at hand, rather than blaming their customers for holding it wrong.

Yes, we're still pissed about. Why wouldn't we be. Apple makes some of the best products in the world. We expect more from Apple. Some of us Mac fans we're taken aback by Steve's comment. Surely Apple is abandoning it's principles?

Great device, but...

Ireland, you're comments are like a breath of fresh air around here, most times. I totally agree. The antenna issue is indeed alarming, and despite the fact that I can't even order my white iPhone 4 yet, I may hold off even longer due to this issue. I seriously doubt this is software related. This is part of the structural design of the phone. While it may be nice to own an asthetically pleasing gadget, it is ultimately moot if the gadget can't perform the function it is meant to do. In this case, place a call and keep a signal. I too find Steve's message... how shall I say it, unbecoming? It's clear that Apple and Steve knew of the issue, just look at that photo of Steve presenting Medvedev with an iPhone 4 (the photo was posted in another front page thread)... do you see the way he's holding it? Quite a bit awkward, and he's clearly avoiding holding it on the sides. I too have my money waiting, but I need asurance that the problem will be fixed, not that I have to hold it differently. C'mon Apple.
  • Reply 271 of 338
    ituomasituomas Posts: 35member
    Do MacBook Pros really have IPS displays? I see no mention about that on Apple's website. You'd think they would advertise such feature.
  • Reply 272 of 338
    sthsth Posts: 1member
    The current MacBook Pro lineup does NOT use IPS panels, sadly. They still use 6-bit TN panels. The iPad display beats the MacBook Pro displays in terms of colors, viewing angles and overall image quality but it's visibly slower in terms of reaction time (which is not a problem with the iMac's IPS screen, though).
  • Reply 273 of 338
    prsdudeprsdude Posts: 4member
    I don't think there are any laptops with IPS screens at the moment?
  • Reply 274 of 338
    the EVO 4G does not look cheap. you're way off base. it's actually really tightly done.
  • Reply 275 of 338
    hvancehvance Posts: 17member
    Now if only Jobs would go to GM and head up that sorry company we could have a world class car company.
  • Reply 276 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

It may be a lot of things to a lot of people. But even a fool would recognize that it is anything but an investment. It's value drops, like any modern consumer product, from the minute you open the packaging and put your fingers on the screen.

Any entrepreneur, such as myself, would be foolish not to recognize the iPhone as a profoundly useful business investment! I use my iPhone for tracking client contact information (including spouses, children and birthdays), scheduling appointments, communicating with clients via phone, SMS, MMS and email, most of which syncs to all my devices through MobileMe. I run credit and debit cards through my iPhone, enabling me to get paid virtually anywhere. On occasion, I've even run them while talking on the phone, something I couldn't do with other smartphones or on some other wireless networks.

With iPhone 4's added features, I will be able to do all these things more easily as well as add HD video to the mix. I'm in the process of making short educational videos (1 to 2 minutes) for my website and the iPhone 4 + iMovie for iPhone provide a fast and convenient way to create HD video content.

There are probably as many uses for the iPhone as there are people who own one. And while your vision for the device may extend no further than your fingerprints on its screen, others see greater uses for this amazing product. You may not recognize the iPhone as an investment (except in a monetary sense), but it most certainly is in many, many ways? at least as I see it.
  • Reply 277 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerPlanck View Post

All for your amusement, all within the realm of possibility. First one is already coming true over at http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/

Can you please refrain from mentioning that site here, it is run by a bunch of sycophantic assholes. Thanks.
  • Reply 278 of 338
    Quote:

The iPhone 4 is beautiful. The iPhone 4 feels solid. The iPhone 4 is thin. The iPhone 4 is physically smaller and sleek. The iPhone 4 is simple to use. The iPhone 4 has one of the best displays out there. The iPhone 4 is fast! The iPhone 4 has the best OS out there. The iPhone 4 has super cameras. The iPhone 4 has the best games and third parry apps. The iPhone 4 has it all?

But this new iPhone 4 has a big issue, and until that big issue is properly addressed I won't be buying an iPhone 4, and I certainly won't be recommending it. This: "just don't hold it in that way" crap is a big deal, and Steve needs to get his head out of his ass if he thinks people are going to accept it. The word on the street is hold off on purchasing an iPhone 4 until we know more. And the word is spreading. I want an iPhone 4 like the next guy, I have the money up stairs for it in fact. But this antenna debacle isn't going away anytime soon. Apple needs to wake up and fix the issue at hand, rather than blaming their customers for holding it wrong.

Yes, we're still pissed about. Why wouldn't we be. Apple makes some of the best products in the world. We expect more from Apple. Some of us Mac fans we're taken aback by Steve's comment. Surely Apple is abandoning it's principles?

Great device, but...

I read in the users forum that turning the Airplane mode off and on would take care of the problem. I turned it off and on 3 or 4 times in a row and my bars and my reception have not diminished yet. Seemed to be the fix for me.
  • Reply 279 of 338
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

the EVO 4G does not look cheap. you're way off base. it's actually really tightly done.

Hmm... I'm torn on this. I don't think it looks cheap compared to other Android phones, but compared to other iPhones I think it looks cheap. Then there are externally noticed issues like the lower ppi compared to other Android phones, the TN display (n comparison to IPS on iPhone 4), the size and weight (which I contend is because there is no way to make a small phone with WiMAX at this point), the camera lens sticking out farther than the device making it easy to damage), the abysmal battery life despite having a huge and heavy battery, and certain aspects of HTC's SenseUI.

Then there is the iFixit teardown which shows a really cheap internal setup compared to the iPhone 4.
    I see what you're saying and would agree, mostly, if the iPhone 4 didn't exist. The level or "fit and finish" really is above and beyond for CE and no other CE I've seen even comes close, not even previous iPhones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hvance View Post

Now if only Jobs would go to GM and head up that sorry company we could have a world class car company.

But then there would be only one car, in two colors with different engine sizes. And you could only use BP gas stations if you wanted to refuel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C21Inman View Post

I read in the users forum that turning the Airplane mode off and on would take care of the problem. I turned it off and on 3 or 4 times in a row and my bars and my reception have not diminished yet. Seemed to be the fix for me.

Interesting. I haven't read about anyone with this problem trying this. In fact, that is my issue with these complaints; not that they have legitimate issues but they are all focusing on the problem, not the solution. I'd have expected more than a few people to have a scientific and rational approach to this issue, but perhaps I expect too much from humanity. \
  • Reply 280 of 338
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C21Inman View Post

Doesn't seem to work for me using the penny trick...