Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday announced that it sold more than 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4 in its first three days of availability, marking the strongest sales debut for an iPhone yet.

"This is the most successful product launch in Apple's history," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. The company's announced 1.7 million total was sold through Saturday, June 26. "Even so, we apologize to those customers who were turned away because we did not have enough supply."

The numbers shatter the previous launch record of 1 million held by both the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. Last year, the iPhone 3GS sold a million units in its first three days. Earlier this month, Apple revealed that the iPhone 4 hit 600,000 preorders on its first day alone.

It took Apple 74 days, or approximately two and a half months, to sell its first million iPhones back in 2007. The launch of the iPhone 3G in 2008 resulted in a million devices sold in just the first three days.

The launch of the iPhone 4 was also bolstered by an immediate presence in more international countries. Last Thursday, the handset launched in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan. Apple has plans to expand the international launch of iPhone 4 to 87 countries by September, its fastest global deployment of a new handset.

Apple's launch sales of 1.7 million devices exceed some analysts' expectations, who saw Apple selling 1.5 million of the iPhone 4 at launch.

Supplies of the iPhone 4 were constrained at launch, and Apple stopped accepting launch preorders just a day after they became available. Apple was forced to temporarily suspend its toll-free number due to demand, and AT&T, the exclusive wireless carrier of the iPhone in the U.S., struggled to verify eligibility of its existing customers as the company's servers slowed to a crawl.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 140
    harmswayharmsway Posts: 19member
    I am one of those 1.7 million, and love the phone.

And, boy this thing is snappy.
  • Reply 2 of 140
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Whither the iKillers?
  • Reply 3 of 140
    ctwisectwise Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The numbers shatter last year's record, when the iPhone 3GS sold a million units in its first three days. ... The launch of the iPhone 3G in 2008 resulted in a million devices sold in just the first three days.

I assume there's a mistake in the article. If 2009 was a record of 1 million in 3 days, then 2008 couldn't have also been 1 million in 3 days.
  • Reply 4 of 140
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

wow

i am gonna take the plunge today i hope

SOME reason's for higher sales is all the 18-24 month contracts are up now

and ATT let some high spending 12 month contract people to buy or switch out

and people who bought last month can also switch easy enough

this and the double glass single mill design

great antenna

and futuristic video voice wii talk also made this a no brainer

MBP owners can DL on there macs and sync to the iphone saving lots of trouble or high G charges

the wintel people must suffer

go apple
  • Reply 5 of 140
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    and BOOM goes the dynamite.

PS - loving my new iPhone 4
  • Reply 6 of 140
    FYI: I was told by ATT I was eligible for the 4G upgrade even though I only have had the 3Gs for less than a year!

If I can sell my white 3Gs online for around $150 then going to upgrade pretty soon! Basically, out of pocket $50! Pretty good deal!

EDIT: Postulant says, 'Radio Shack will give you $200 for old 3Gs!' Pretty cool!
  • Reply 7 of 140
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Wondering what that number could have been without constrained supply. And the white model.

I'd say they could have moved 2.5 million pretty easily.
  • Reply 8 of 140
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

FYI: I was told by ATT I was eligible for the 4G upgrade even though I only have had the 3Gs for less than a year!

If I can sell my white 3Gs online for around $150 then going to upgrade pretty soon! Basically, out of pocket $50! Pretty good deal!

Radio Shack will offer you $200 for your 3GS.
  • Reply 9 of 140
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Apple is Doomed!
  • Reply 10 of 140
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    No surprise at all.
  • Reply 11 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No surprise at all.

No, agree!

But for those complaining about glass and reception - there will be plenty - because 1? of 1,7 m iPhones is 1700. Number are big these days!

Now I just wonder when I can motivate this for myself...\
  • Reply 12 of 140
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

wow

I'm not sure about Apple Stores, but ATT is saying they won't have any until tomorrow.
  • Reply 13 of 140
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Wondering what that number could have been without constrained supply. And the white model.

I'd say they could have moved 2.5 million pretty easily.

I'd say you have no idea WTF you're talking about. "I mean, hey...let's just make an additional million phones." Sure, no problem.
  • Reply 14 of 140
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Well, since everyone is so happy I guess we can forget all about the software update that didn't happen today.
  • Reply 15 of 140
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

wow

SOME reason's for higher sales is all the 18-24 month contracts are up now

and ATT let some high spending 12 month contract people to buy or switch out

and people who bought last month can also switch easy enough

except that none of those are anything new. ATT has always allowed those paying high plans to update before 24 months, depending on how much higher they were

and the 'last month' thing is in part simply the standard 30 day policy. I believe they extended it by a couple of weeks because of the timing of the announcement and the release but otherwise it was just SOP
  • Reply 16 of 140
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

the iphone legacy prices are very sweet

november may be verizon turn
  • Reply 17 of 140
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    It's a terrific number but it should be tempered with the fact that most of these were upgrades. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 4 continues to sell this well til the new hardware next year. There is no missing feature for this phone.
  • Reply 18 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I assume there's a mistake in the article. If 2009 was a record of 1 million in 3 days, then 2008 couldn't have also been 1 million in 3 days.

Actually, 2009 sales EXCEEDED 1 million units, 2008 apple sold 1 million. I recall....
  • Reply 19 of 140
    mordak5mordak5 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

Would have but they were sold out, and still are
  • Reply 20 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

There is no missing feature for this phone.

Just wait and see... There's no robot in the apple icon?