Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

1171819202123»

Comments

• Reply 441 of 444
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

I think the issue is made worse due to the signal being GSM and 3G. I've had issues in the past with GSM, back all the way since AT&T left TDMA and went GSM. It didn't matter what phone I had: Sony Ericcson, Nokia, Palm (ugh), and Motorola. They all had issues with signal loss. Worse than TDMA.

GSM is a TDMA network
  • Reply 442 of 444
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

In this particular case, solipsism in particular has been irrational, which is rather unusual for him. He went so far as to call me chicken-little and a troll while also rudely misrepresenting my well mannered and reasoned critique. An apology would restore some of his reputation. Unfortunately, the same rude behavior was dished out to quite a few other posters as well. I'll grant that some of them deserved it.

Where did I call you a troll? I thought this was cleared up when you replaied to my post and we had a conversation where I explained I was talking to you, not at you. I don't recall reading a single post from you that I would consider trollish, and for that I do apologize. Now, other posters, like SpotOn and Ireland I would describe as such. Ireland was acting trollish with the way he was posting, and SpotOn is a troll by nature.

The Chicken Little comment is for anyone who acted like the world is coming to an end because of an incident. While I can see how it's an insult, I'm using it to easily describe those who are over reacting to this problem and adding to it by not dealing with it rationally.
  • Reply 443 of 444
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by osx86 View Post

sorry i just had to register in this forum to post exactly the same response. So to the original poster who created this image: you = fail

Don't you have to use the cellular network first to call someone before you use facetime? When you call Apple's facetime, you need to dial 1-888-facetime. So, if you were holding the phone with the anticipation of starting a facetime call, you may not get a signal.

The main point of the image is that Steve's response was users were holding the phone wrong and yet Apple's demos show the phone being held the same way as it's a standard way to hold a phone. Obviously you can make sure not to bridge the gap but it's still a flaw they obviously didn't foresee.

If a software update doesn't fix this, I'd be very surprised if they didn't adjust their manufacturing to prevent this on further models.
  • Reply 444 of 444
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Don't you have to use the cellular network first to call someone before you use facetime? When you call Apple's facetime, you need to dial 1-888-facetime. So, if you were holding the phone with the anticipation of starting a facetime call, you may not get a signal.

You don't need to call them over the cellular network first, but it appear that some sort of DB is in use to get direct IP info. I wish the details of FaceTime were available to us.