Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days

Comments

• Reply 101 of 140
    When i first saw the numbers i was a little disappointed. Somehow had 3 million in my head. Must be subliminal. \

Never-the-less that's a great number considering limited stock and server crashes. Not to mention the last minute emission of the White model.

Absolutely love mine. Still can't get over how good that screen is and the way it shoots pics. Makes my iPad seem inferior though.
  • Reply 102 of 140
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't think that's right. I doubt iPod revenue has fallen by half. In fact, I doubt it's fallen much if at all. Zacky has another chart on his blog which shows total revenue by category. It's difficult to read since the revenues are broken down by quarter, but it seems that while iPod revenue isn't growing much, it hasn't fallen by half either.

Jeezus look at iPhone and iPad. Mad [revenue] growth drivers. Look again at iPad...!
  • Reply 103 of 140
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh but according to Ireland it is terrible, doesn't work and you will be taking it back

Ireland must be the single only person saying this. Not BBC News, NYT, CBS etc. Yeah, only Ireland is saying this. What a troll that Ireland guy is, no one else is saying this.
  • Reply 104 of 140
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Jeezus look at iPhone and iPad. Mad [revenue] growth drivers. Look again at iPad...!

It's also interesting that, over the last 7 quarters, Mac revenue & growth seems with correlate somewhat with iPhone revenue & growth in the same quarters.
  • Reply 105 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

My prediction that the iPad will be Apple's second largest profit center within the first year of sales looks like it might be accurate.

Something to note for those who think Apple no longer cares about the Mac, the Mac is currently 2nd largest area for revenue for Apple, beating the entire iPod leg, and has the potential for additional growth to move them even higher than the 35% profit they reportedly take from the entire world's consumer PC market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ireland must be the single only person saying this. Not BBC News, NYT, CBS etc. Yeah, only Ireland is saying this. What a troll that Ireland guy is, no one else is saying this.

Seriously, referring to yourself in the 3rd-person is anti-productive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's also interesting that, over the last 7 quarters, Mac revenue & growth seems with correlate somewhat with iPhone revenue & growth in the same quarters.

In Kanye West voice: "Steve Jobs doesn't care about Mac people."
  • Reply 106 of 140
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permille

The 1? is equivalent to 0.1% or 1/1000.

Therefore, 1,7000,000 x 1/1000 = 1,700.
  • Reply 107 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In Kanye West voice: "Steve Jobs doesn't care about Mac people."

Did you take Be Kanye before you wrote that?
  • Reply 108 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

You have to buy your new iPhone 4 through them though... they'll give you an in store credit, which you'll then apply to your phone.

Yep. I figured that! Thanks,
  • Reply 109 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Did you take Be Kanye before you wrote that?

I had to look that one up.
  • Reply 110 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Yes, but then you have to go into a Radio Shack store.

Right on...compared to an Apple store Radio Shacks really suck...until you need something that is!
  • Reply 111 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

As a minimum, they should build (assemble) it in USA! I'll pay the extra 5 bucks or so(just a guess).

Agreed! This is my only complaint of Apple. Me too, I would pay extra for the factories to be in USA. If Toyota, Honda, BMW can get American workers to produce quality products here (cars) then Apple should do the same!
  • Reply 112 of 140
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Well, since everyone is so happy I guess we can forget all about the software update that didn't happen today.

I am reading your post shortly after noon CDT. Apple tends to post updates mid to late day. I would not have even expected the rumored update until at least an hour or so from now and I assume you posted this much earlier. WTF?

Give Apple a chance -- it would also be a very quick update cycle for them to release the update this quick. They are more likely, IMHO, to wait a few days and validate with real QC and make sure there is not anything else to roll into the update. Apple does not have a history of jumping to post something this quickly -- and I think it is prudent. Make sure you have the real solution (if it can be fixed in software at all) before releasing. I think there would be much more in the way of damage from a "fix" that didn't to a "fix" that worked but took a bit longer.
  • Reply 113 of 140
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I am reading your post shortly after noon CDT. Apple tends to post updates mid to late day. I would not have even expected the rumored update until at least an hour or so from now and I assume you posted this much earlier. WTF? .

Hey, I didn't make up the rumor, I just read it here at the temple of all Apple knowledge. It was rumored to happen today. I would have thought that Apple would want a solution out as quickly as possible, perhaps before most people realized there was a problem.

And before anyone says there is no problem with the iPhone 4, may I remind everyone that there were 532 comments this weekend on the Vulcan Death Grip article posted at AI. And there is even an article in ComputerWorld saying just what I said, that Apple had better get an update out now before they end up with "A black mark on their quality record."

You see, I really care about all of you, my friends at the AI forum. I know, better than anyone, what it's like to spend hundreds on a smart phone and be unable to make a phone call. Now that the whole world is in the same boat as NYC and SanFrancisco (the only two places on the planet with no ATT coverage ) I would have thought that the AI forum would finally give a shit about this frustrating and outrageous problem.
  • Reply 114 of 140
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed! This is my only complaint of Apple. Me too, I would pay extra for the factories to be in USA. If Toyota, Honda, BMW can get American workers to produce quality products here (cars) then Apple should do the same!

I suspect that assembling it in the US would increase the cost by a lot more than $50.

I don't know the minimum wage in China, but in the US it is $10 per hour. With taxes benefits, etc. the cost to the employer is $20 per hour for a $10/hr employee-- everything the Govt(s). deduct from your paycheck, a like amount is paid to the Govt(s) by the employer.

But, these are skilled workers and would, likely, earn $30-$50/hr US-- costing the employer $60-$100/hr.

Then, there are all kinds of legal, regulatory and environmental requirements/restrictions that add to the cost of manufacturing in the US,

If I were to SAWG it, I'd guess that US assembly would add $75-$100 to the price of the iPhone-- that would be particularly onerous for a 16GB iPhone that currently sells for $199,

The automaker comparison is not quite the same-- in most cases the wages are set buy the company and the Unions and are [relatively] competitive worldwide.

My son-in-law just lost his job at Toyota, when they closed the plant in Fremont, CA. They moved the operations to Kentucky, primarily because it is too expensive to manufacture in California. He was offered a transfer and the same pay-- so, obviously there were other costs contributing to the CA plant closing.

Sadly, few companies can afford to manufacture in the US and remain competitive.

...sigh!

• Reply 115 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

... And before anyone says there is no problem with the iPhone 4, may I remind everyone...

And, may I remind you that hijacking threads is troll-like behavior. This thread isn't about that, and there are plenty of others that are. If you walk like a troll, and you quack like a troll, ...
  • Reply 116 of 140
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't want to add to this sub-thread-- to give some perspective, other phones experience similar antenna problems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk

• Reply 117 of 140
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

No, agree!

But for those complaining about glass and reception - there will be plenty - because 1? of 1,7 m iPhones is 1700. Number are big these days!

Now I just wonder when I can motivate this for myself...\

Hey, let me tell you, those reception issues are real,...i love me iPhone 4, but as a phone it is becoming un usable,.. 5 dropped calls today, and for the past 1/2 hour as I write this i have been unable to make or receive calls! NOT GOOD
  • Reply 118 of 140
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Probably been mentioned already, but I know that a *LOT* of former 3G owners skipped out on the 3GS, waiting for their contracts to expire in '10 and get the "eventual" 3GS successor. That's what I did. And my plan is to skip the future iPhone 5 and wait for the eventual iPhone 6.
  • Reply 119 of 140
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting. Despite the success of the 3GS they really did sell about the same number as the 3G in the first 3 days. It makes me wonder why because the last year of iPhone sales shows a huge jump over the previous year.

Also, I think last year was the first year they offered home delivery and sold it many more countries than they did with the 3G. If so, that could mean the 3GS had a much slower relative start than the 3G.

Perhaps it was the economy, or perhaps the case being the same design was a major factor. I hope it's not the latter as that may mean Apple will keep changing it up for no reason expect marketing. I certainly don't want that.

The 3GS was also supply constrained in the first several weeks. 3GS sales numbers offer no reflection of demand until mid to late July 2009 when you could walk into a retail location in most places and actually walk out with a phone.

I believe it was much easier to find a 3G on day 4 than it was a 3GS on its respective 4th day. I am not sure Apple sold any iPhone 4s on day 4 this year, since no one seemed to have any in stock to sell.
  • Reply 120 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scafe2 View Post

Hey, let me tell you, those reception issues are real,...i love me iPhone 4, but as a phone it is becoming un usable,.. 5 dropped calls today, and for the past 1/2 hour as I write this i have been unable to make or receive calls! NOT GOOD

Sorry, but you must have posted this on the wrong thread. This thread isn't about iPhone 4 problems.

It's a common mistake by new members, but here's a tip: Check the title of the thread, if it isn't about the topic you want to post on, this is probably the wrong thread. If you still aren't sure, read the article and if it isn't about the topic you want to post on, this is definitely the wrong thread. Find a thread that is about the topic you want to post on and post there. Can't find one? Start a new thread in the forums and post there. Don't let yourself be fooled into posting on the wrong thread by trolls who are trying to hijack every thread to be about their pet topic.