iAd report: Apple's iOS 4 will reach iPad in November

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A report outlining advertisers' plans for Apple's new iAd program indicates that the new interactive ads won't reach iPad users until iOS 4 becomes available for it in November.

iAds will go live on iOS apps for the iPhone and iPod touch starting July 1, although Advertising Age reported that "a check-in with declared iAd advertisers found that many are still in the early stages of flushing out concepts and creative."

The story added that "some are weeks -- perhaps months -- away from having an iAd in the system." It cited "an agency exec with several iAds in the works," as saying, "most advertisers won't be there on July 1; there just isn't enough time," an issue partly blamed on Apple itself.

Apple is doing "all the technical production of iAds, and telling agencies it will take six to eight weeks to produce an ad after the creative is produced," the report stated.

The July 1 opening of iAd is a date selected by Apple, and "doesn't necessarily coincide with the objectives of the marketers themselves," the report said. Getting ad placements on iPad, "the device considered most promising for advertisers," won't happen until November.

Apple previously stated that a special build of iOS 4 would be released for iPad users later in the year, bringing support not just for iAd but also other features of the new operating system, from multitasking and related background services to Home page Folders and a variety of new APIs used by developers.

Some of the features introduced by iOS 4 on the iPhone and iPod touch are already supported in iOS 3.2 used by iPad, including support for spell correction and Bluetooth keyboards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Wow, that's quite a bit of time...Oh well, we have some iOS 4 feature in OS 3.2.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    rmsolemrmsolem Posts: 3member
    Are we supposed to be thrilled with getting ads added to the iPad? No thanks! Take your time. I don't care if I ever have them. Seriously, who would?

Why not an iOS update to take care of known bugs on the iPad like the repeated prompting for my home wifi password? Entering and re-entering a 26 character password multiple times a night has a high "piss off" factor. The longer Apple ignores this bug the more annoyed I get with Apple. Suddenly things don't seem so "magical."

I always thought Apple was supposed to be on the side of the user. I guess that was all hype.

rms
  • Reply 3 of 55
    rayconraycon Posts: 33member
    I was hoping for something more like early October. Ah, well. I'm particularly looking for an iPad implementation of folders. My screens are already full.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    iOS 4 + iPad = iPad 2 ?
  • Reply 5 of 55
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmsolem View Post

Are we supposed to be thrilled with getting ads added to the iPad? No thanks! Take your time. I don't care if I ever have them. Seriously, who would?

Why not an iOS update to take care of known bugs on the iPad like the repeated prompting for my home wifi password? Entering and re-entering a 26 character password multiple times a night has a high "piss off" factor. The longer Apple ignores this bug the more annoyed I get with Apple. Suddenly things don't seem so "magical."

I always thought Apple was supposed to be on the side of the user. I guess that was all hype.

rms

Well, you're going to get ads in some apps in some fashion with or without iAds. So, if iAds suck less than the current ads, that's something of a plus. If you don't want ads at all, you'll just have to be careful which apps you select. Portraying this as Apple somehow not being on the side of the user because of iAds is an utter confusion of the reality of the issue.

As far as an iOS update for iPad in the interim (although, I haven't experienced the particular issue you describe), iOS 4 being scheduled for a November release doesn't preclude an update to 3.2 in the before then. Actually, I'd be a bit surprised if there weren't one.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

rms

Possibly you have a router problem instead. I bought my iPad April 3rd, and haven't had that problem on any WiFi network including my own. I will get a rare "connecting".
  • Reply 7 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RayCon View Post

I was hoping for something more like early October. Ah, well. I'm particularly looking for an iPad implementation of folders. My screens are already full.

No kidding!
  • Reply 8 of 55
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Why the iPad wasn't the first device to get iOS 4, instead of the last, is a mystery to me. Why it's going to take an additional five months to bring iOS4 to the iPad is an even greater mystery.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Yeah, the headline should be ios 4 delayed for iPad till late November.

That is completely bogus. There's no technical reason it can't be made available for iPad basically right away.

Waiting till almost 2011 for features that are sorely lacking (these are not improvements, they are more like corrections) is wack, especially given that the os is already out the door.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

It's already possible to have ads on the ipad. just not iAds

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

iOS 4 + iPad = iPad 2 ?

if you are suggesting new hardware, likely not. they already had iOS4 well in the works when the ipad released so they would have made hardware that was iOS4 ready

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Why the iPad wasn't the first device to get iOS 4, instead of the last, is a mystery to me. Why it's going to take an additional five months to bring iOS4 to the iPad is an even greater mystery.

Apple did not release that date, they just said 'this fall' so perhaps it will be November, perhaps it will be September.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

Yeah, the headline should be ios 4 delayed for iPad till late November.

That is completely bogus. There's no technical reason it can't be made available for iPad basically right away.

I love the way everyone knows more about OS development than Apple.

Just what are your credentials that allow you to make such a statement when Apple says it will take until November?
  • Reply 12 of 55
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If you are suggesting new hardware, likely not. they already had iOS4 well in the works when the ipad released so they would have made hardware that was iOS4 ready

I think he's suggesting they'd start bundling the new iOS on iPads when they give the product a hardware refresh not because it would need the software to function but because they'd have to retool the packaging and documentation at that time anyhow. They're having such a hard time building enough iPads already, they wouldn't want to do anything to abrupt the manufacturing process until they're rolling out a new version altogether. That's my theory, anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It's already possible to have ads on the ipad. just not iAds

Yeah, I've seen some AdMob ads on some apps on my iPad. Does that mean when Apple starts it's iAds, an app can have both?
  • Reply 14 of 55
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

To add more features perhaps? Features that are not on the iPhone or iPod Touch?
  • Reply 15 of 55
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

To add more features perhaps? Features that are not on the iPhone or iPod Touch?

I suspect the fact that they are both called iOS gives the impression that they are more similar than they are. For one thing, the UI layers are essentially completely different, and I suspect there are substantial differences under the hood as well. My guess is that it's simply a matter of it taking longer than everyone thinks it should because there's more that needs to be done than is apparent.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Isn't November the rumored month for the Verizon iPhone?

Why not a Verizon iPad to go with it?

Apple wants iOS 4 for the iPad to coincide with the release of the Verizon model to add a sense of newness. It'll probably go down during some special event.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:

iOS 4 + iPad = iPad 2 ?

I wondered the same, but November would be an unusual release date for a holiday-targeted refresh. Apple does its launches/refreshes at the beginning of a quarter and usually refreshes the iPods around October 1. Maybe just a memory bump?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

iOS 4 + iPad = iPad 2 ?

I wouldn't bet anything on that at all; in fact I would bet against it. Nov 2010 just does not make sense for delivery of the iPad -- that is right before the holiday season. Why not sell what they have now (from AAPL POV) and make what they will with that and then intro a new one in the early spring/late winter and have a huge demand for all those that have decided to wait for iPad 2. I really don't see the motivation from Apples POV to deliver a new iPad -- the biggest complaint (multitasking) is being handled and the 2nd largest IMHO, camera(s) will be in the next generation and is not enough to keep many from buying them now.

They will sell plenty of each by selling 1st gen for the holidays and 2nd gen in the spring -- probably more than if they only shipped a new one in the fall. Also, remember it has not been that easy to get to a point where Apple has met demand on the original iPad so why deal with shortages at holiday season. Besides, the first gen will seem new with the new iOS4 for it this fall.

Besides I think they will have a new iMac and possibly new MB/MBP by then and those certainly generate more revenue.

Just my 2 sense, err scents -- oops thats cents.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    rmsolemrmsolem Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Isn't November the rumored month for the Verizon iPhone?

Why not a Verizon iPad to go with it?

Apple wants iOS 4 for the iPad to coincide with the release of the Verizon model to add a sense of newness. It'll probably go down during some special event.

November doesn't make sense to introduce new hardware for the Christmas retail cycle which is firmly in place and locked down with the annual September iPod refresh and not supplemented till January. If any new hardware (iPad or iPod) it'll be introduced then.

The November date for iAd is clearly to cash in on the holiday advertising blitz.

Apple has had a very predictable hardware rollout schedule for most of it's products for years. If the Verizon introduction comes after September it certainly will be with plenty of time for the Christmas buying season. They'll pick up those potential buyers that put off the current offerings for a perceived better cellular service. The products, no doubt, will be identical to those offered now except with the proper hardware modifications to work on the Verizon network.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I suspect the fact that they are both called iOS gives the impression that they are more similar... ... it's simply a matter of it taking longer than everyone thinks it should because there's more that needs to be done than is apparent.

They are much more alike than not but that does not mean you do not have to do your QA for them. The QA for each device is a large task and takes a given amount of time. The same folks work on the iOS for both devices though there are frameworks that differ on each.

It would not have been a good idea for Apple to try to introduce the iPhone 4 and iOS 4 for both the iPhone and iPad. One of the biggest tasks by far is the regression testing necessary for the legacy devices. This effort in and of itself is huge.

Performance testing and making decisions about cutting a feature due to lack of performance (e.g., wallpaper on 3G iPhone). Cutting features is always a difficult decision -- everyone wants all the bells and whistles on all the devices so the Engineers write, rewrite and optimize to try to get it up to speed. If they can't get it to perform within expectations then it gets cut and that possibly adds more error handling in the code but definitely a new test case or few. This increases the load on QA and with each release they must not only test these new cases but regress old issues that are "fixed". Anyway that is but one scenario that adds time.

This is a non-trivial release (not a x.x.1 or x.1 but major) so there was a large baseline to test. Up to the point the iPad was released the testing being done with it was just 3.2 and added a lot fewer changes under the hood.

To have delivered iOS 4 for the iPad at the same time would have required all the same testing be done again in the period from release to well before WWDC (has to be released to manufacturing with a lead so that it can be sold and distributed). I can tell you from personal experience that 6-7 weeks is not enough time to validate a new OS (I worked at Apple and help deliver a few revs of the MacOS) and it just does not make sense to release the iPad with one os if you are planning to release it with a different version that soon. Also remember that developers would have needed the time to get not only their iPhone apps updated but there iPad apps also.

This is not something that Apple could have just thrown more resources at to get done either (see The Mythical Man Month by Brooks).

I for one will be patient and wait till the fall and have it right instead of now and full of holes.

Off my soap box for the day.