Hulu Plus $10-per-month service now available for iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What a joke, Hulu is free on the website/Flash and Hulu Desktop, but you have to pay for the same shows on iPhone with a tiny screen, no thanks.

I cannot wait for the ABC app for iPhone, no iPad here yet...

Make you should read the article before you claim it's "the same shows" and exclude the iPad from the list.

PS: It's not a requirement so if Hulu on the desktop is good enough for you then go for it.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hulu Plus is a new, revolutionary ad-supported subscription product

So Hulu gets money from advertising and you pay Hulu money to watch those advertisements and the shows (which have already been paid for when they were broadcast on television)?

Isn't the purpose of advertising to recoup the cost of the shows?
  • Reply 23 of 62
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Should you be surprised to see an ad-supported subscription?

You pay for cable or satellite and you still get ads...No difference with Hulu...

All you can hope is that the ads are not on the videos itself like you see on television but instead are banners located somewhere in the app.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Are you kidding? The cost compared to other sources is going up radically.

I'm not going to presume to say that the flash solution will work perfectly on Android phones, but if it is workable their cost will be zero while iPhone users will be spending $10 a month and also $10 per gigabyte above the first two.

I've read that hulu is blocked on Android now. There is more content available on hulu plus though, so even if hulu does work on android with flash, a subscription to hulu plus would still give you access to more content. You're not paying $10 a month to use Hulu on the iPhone, you are paying $10 a month to use a better version on Hulu that also works on the iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

So Hulu gets money from advertising and you pay Hulu money to watch those advertisements and the shows (which have already been paid for when they were broadcast on television)?

Isn't the purpose of advertising to recoup the cost of the shows?

Do we not do this for cable and satellite TV already?
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

$10 per month for a service that is free everywhere else = RIPOFF!

Hulu is not going to be free forever
  • Reply 27 of 62
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

What a joke, Hulu is free on the website/Flash and Hulu Desktop, but you have to pay for the same shows on iPhone with a tiny screen, no thanks.

From my understanding Hulu Plus has a larger library and shows you won't see on the free site...
  • Reply 28 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brantdevlin View Post

HULU might be worth it if you don't have a TV provider already.

Is there any way to get high speed broadband without a TV provider. DSL isn't quite fast enough for streaming TV especially not HD.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:

You are paying for MORE availability and MORE content - and on OTHER devices (like PS3).

There is still a lot of info missing - what will happen to the free version? Rumors still remain that they will be getting a HUGE cut in content, and even MORE commercials.

AND

The subscription includes 720p streaming (on PC and other devices, like PS3)

And entire season libraries of shows...

And you can expect more to come.

Networks pulled shows because they didn't have this. I can't wait for them to come back (and maybe bring more!)
  • Reply 30 of 62
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do we not do this for cable and satellite TV already?

Who is this "we" you speak of? I certainly don't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debian Dog View Post

Hulu is not going to be free forever

While that's probably true, that doesn't make the complaint that it's free on other platforms but not iPhone any less valid.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"...revolutionary ad-supported subscription product ..."

I thought the reason for having a subscription service is to avoid having ads? They don't show commercials on HBO or any good cable movie channel, I don't like Hulu forcing ads on people who are paying. However, it is still a welcome service and yet another reason to buy an iPad or iPhone. Netflix cost most people over $14-20/month and have to wait for most content to be mailed to you, so I guess $10/month for anytime anywhere access is worth it.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is there any way to get high speed broadband without a TV provider. DSL isn't quite fast enough for streaming TV especially not HD.

I'm getting 12Mbps from Qwest with no TV service through them.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Can only sign up for a future invitation to sign up which is not forthcoming today and must be applied for only from the Hulu website and not from the app which only renders a not available yet message with no notice to go to the website.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I thought the reason for having a subscription service is to avoid having ads? They don't show commercials on HBO or any good cable movie channel, I don't like Hulu forcing ads on people who are paying. However, it is still a welcome service and yet another reason to buy an iPad or iPhone. Netflix cost most people over $14-20/month and have to wait for most content to be mailed to you, so I guess $10/month for anytime anywhere access is worth it.

Actually, Netflix is charging me $8.99 per month for my plan. I can have one DVD out at a time and unlimited streaming (although only a subset of their movies are available for streaming).

I agree, however, that charging for an app that still has ads is going to turn a lot of people off. I'd imagine that's another thing we can chalk up to our short-sighted entertainment industry execs.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Hulu Plus only works in the US.

As per music and books, Apple will have to go through the same approval processes on a network by network and country by country basis.

You could get a video converter to capture video, i.e., your favorite TV show, and convert it to the iPhone h.264 format.

http://www.iphone-videoconverter.com/index.html

BTW, I have TV/Movies on Demand on my cable service. Some contain ads at the beginning. But I can fast forward if I want.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Wow, that's ridiculously stupid. I think I'd rather have Netflix at that price. What are they drinking?!
  • Reply 37 of 62
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Most DSL services will go up to 3 or 6 Meg now. Most of the time the bandwidth isn't the issue so much as the compression. Flash based content is usually pretty ugly from a quality standpoint and just as bad from a bandwidth standpoint. A lot of times to you can have an awesome connection but the server you get content from isn't giving you good speeds, then it doesn't matter how fast your DSL or cable internet.

This is why I like the Apple download model vs streaming services like Hulu. It doesn't fill a buffer then stop, it downloads in the background constantly until you got the whole thing.

I think Hulu thinks a bit too highly of their content if they want to charge $10 per month, way to much considering how much of it you can get elsewhere. They'd be better off doing a 1 time $10 app fee, then marking certain content as premium. Could be based on how new the content is or type (TV vs Movie). They could then tell you that with the 1 time purchase you continue to get access to their basic shows but a monthly subscription would give you full access. Definitely the ads gotta go for paid subscribers, super lame!
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Netflix cost most people over $14-20/month and have to wait for most content to be mailed to you, so I guess $10/month for anytime anywhere access is worth it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, Netflix is charging me $8.99 per month for my plan. I can have one DVD out at a time and unlimited streaming (although only a subset of their movies are available for streaming).

Actually if you read my comment I said "most," that means not everyone but a large number of. So, you and others may not fall under "most," and may pay less money. That one word covered your payment plan, so your first paragraph reply was unneeded as I don't think anyone really cares about your personal chosen payment plan. Have a good day.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Wow, that's ridiculously stupid. I think I'd rather have Netflix at that price. What are they drinking?!

It's only ridiculously stupid if they don't make any money with it. Their up front costs are probably pretty nil. They can make money with relatively few subscribers. Only time will tell if this business model experiment is successful. Keep in mind that the masses don't think like the pseudo nerd wannabes on forums like this one.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    For all you cheap crying little chickens, I just downloaded the Hulu Plus app on my phone and they still offer a lot of shows for free! You don't have to pay the $9.99, that is just to access additional and HD programming. So, you can still be cheap and use Hulu Plus on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad for free and watch full shows. I just watched a few minutes of 30 Rock and it was clear and played well. And don't get me wrong, I like free also, but it seems people are quick to dismiss and cry about something without even trying it or doing proper research, to me $9.99 is reasonable for unlimited HD access.