Bloomberg: Apple to offer Verizon CDMA iPhone in January 2011

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Rumors of a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone resurfaced again Tuesday, when Bloomberg reported it has been told the handset will arrive in January of 2011.

Citing two people "familiar with the plans," author Amy Thomson wrote that the largest wireless provider in the U.S. will start selling the iPhone in 2011, marking the end of exclusivity for AT&T.

"The device will be available to customers in January, according to the people, who declined to be named because the information isn't public," the report said.

The last mainstream media report on a Verizon iPhone came back in March, when The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple was working on two new phones -- one assumed to be the just-released iPhone 4, while the other was said to be a CDMA iPhone compatible with the Verizon network. That report said such phones were not scheduled to go into mass production until September, and it was "unclear" when the model would become available for sale.

Since its release in 2007, the iPhone has only been available in models compatible with UMTS-GSM networks. In the U.S., only AT&T and T-Mobile operate such networks, and AT&T has been the exclusive carrier of the iPhone stateside since it was first announced.

Earlier this month, Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported that a CDMA iPhone would be assembled and begin shipping to Apple in the fourth quarter of 2010. It said that Pegatron is already producing the hardware in its plants in Shanghai, China.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Here we go again... a bunch of analysis who have no clue. hear touch phone and CDMA and assume it is an apple product. They really want to help VZ stock
  • Reply 2 of 77
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    It's deja-vu all over again
  • Reply 3 of 77
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I guess people are just going to keep predicting this, it's not as if the iPhone isn't a huge success already, baring in mind that most of the planet uses the GSM standard and international sales are starting to outpace US sales why would they make things complicated for people with different types of iPhone?

One type fits all is the Apple way.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I think I speak for everyone when I say SHUT UP

seriously, how many times are we gonna hear this? There should be an unspoken rule to never repeat this rumor, and instead wait for it to actually happen.

Oh, and I already know this thread will turn into a cdma vs gsm rant as usual lol
  • Reply 5 of 77
    lxglxg Posts: 19member
    I'm going to pull off an Angry Bird at the two unnamed sources.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    AI should just create a sub-forum for these articles.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    What the hell is wrong with apple insider?? STOP POSTING ON VERIZON RUMORS!! You've been pulling this crap for the last 2 years and it is terribly annoying.

Apple prides itself on simultaneous data and voice usage, something which is impossible on Verizon at the moment. Apple is NOT going on verizon any time soon, not until 2012 when the 5 year exclusivity agreement between Apple and AT&T is over.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I think I speak for everyone when I say SHUT UP

seriously, how many times are we gonna hear this? There should be an unspoken rule to never repeat this rumor, and instead wait for it to actually happen.

Oh, and I already know this thread will turn into a cdma vs gsm rant as usual lol

+1

~Callum
  • Reply 9 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    LOL We're going to hear as long as the iPhone is popular and it's not on all carriers.

While this Bloomberg article seems strong, and I want this to happen simply because it will boost the stock tremendously, and the date of 6 month after the AT&T release seems reasonable, how many times can Verizon drop a rumour crying wolf before we simply don't care anymore?
  • Reply 10 of 77
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member
    I think all of these sites -- AppleInsider, Macrumors, iLounge, Engadget, etc. -- need to just stop posting these rumors.

When Steve busts one out on stage, THEN I'll believe it.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

AI should just create a sub-forum for these articles.

VeriSore: Articles that make you want to scratch your eyes out?
  • Reply 12 of 77
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    I am curious, if you folks hate these stories so much why do you read them?

I have no idea if this particular rumor is accurate, I will say AT&T recent actions (moving away from unlimited data, early upgrade options) suggest they won't be the exclusive iPhone carrier for long.

I am going out on a limb and say this story is probably true. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone ended up on Verizon sooner than that.

-kpluck
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Looks like somebody at Verizon wanted to 1) delay the max exodus to AT&T and 2) temporarily boost the stock price today. Sad that it worked.

Enough of these rumors from UNNAMED SOURCES.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    I question the timing of this story but it does fall in line with what the WSJ has said. These are two of the most respected business sites and are highly accurate. Truth is that while others can call this BS, there is still no explanation as to why AT&T made slew of customers available for an upgrade.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Don't get mad, guys. This falls into the category of "even a broken clock is right twice a day" (or, if you will, "economists have called 10 of the last three recessions").

In the media business, it is better to predict something and be wrong, than not predict and watch it happen. It will happen some day, and lots of people will take credit for having predicted it!
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Sad thing is there will be a chunk of people with money to burn on launch day in January for AT&T (recenetly raised) ETF's....Sigh...if only some people used their money more wisely.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Lemme know when the CDMA iPhone crops up in a bar outside of Cupertino.

-Chris
  • Reply 18 of 77
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Don't get mad, guys. This falls into the category of "even a broken clock is right twice a day" (or, if you will, "economists have called 10 of the last three recessions").

In the media business, it is better to predict something and be wrong, than not predict and watch it happen. It will happen some day, and lots of people will take credit for having predicted it!

Good one. I was going to say something like this, but you'd already said it better.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Lol, it was just confirmed at the last Verizon Sunday meeting that they were not interested in the iPhone anymore and had no current plans of bringing it to their network. They are all about Android phones now. The CDMA Verizon phones are intended for Japan as was officially confirmed months ago... where they have CDMA Networks. Let's also not forget Sprint has CDMA also... iPhone users may want an out from AT&T, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. http://goo.gl/YA99

This topic is getting pretty old. Besides, Apple needs to fix the current iPhone before they try to spread it to other US carriers.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post

Lol, it was just confirmed at the last Verizon Sunday meeting that they were not interested in the iPhone anymore and had no current plans of bringing it to their network. They are all about Android phones now. The CDMA Verizon phones are intended for Japan as was officially confirmed months ago... where they have CDMA Networks. Let's also not forget Sprint has CDMA also... iPhone users may want an out from AT&T, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. http://goo.gl/YA99

This topic is getting pretty old. Besides, Apple needs to fix the current iPhone before they try to spread it to other US carriers.

How ironic you pulled that from an article on "droid life"....of course they are going to downplay the iPhone and praise Android. Try another source loser....