Bloomberg: Apple to offer Verizon CDMA iPhone in January 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    kulak18kulak18 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post

I think all of these sites -- AppleInsider, Macrumors, iLounge, Engadget, etc. -- need to just stop posting these rumors.

When Steve busts one out on stage, THEN I'll believe it.

Or when someone leaves a prototype in a bar in California. Then another guy picks it up and sells it to Gizmodo. Then Steven calls the cops.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rumors of a Veriz...

...z-z-z-z-zzzzz....
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZBeebs View Post

Will this be before or after the Beatles come to iTunes?

It will be by around the same time Duke Nukem Forever hits the streets... and available for the Mac.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    The Gizmodo punks need to stop smashing iPhone 4s for a minute and start looking on the floors of bars in the South Bay. Maybe this time they can avoid the $5k "stolen property tax."
  • Reply 45 of 77
    dylerdyler Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The Verizon termination fee makes it a wash.

Apple is not making any CDMA models.

Even NTT DoCoMo's Indian branch is moving to GSM.

It has been reported quite extensively they they are going to be making cdma models, they do not right now.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    China Telecom runs CDMA (not sure if it's totally compatible with phones that also work on VZW).

Maybe Apple is building a CDMA iPhone for the China Telecom market and to scare the bejesus out of AT&T?

It would be smart for Apple to sell a CDMA iPhone to China first this year, then roll it out to VZW in Janurary. Then they can make more money by screwing early VZW adopters by rolling out an LTE iPhone late next year.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkKnot View Post

China Telecom runs CDMA (not sure if it's totally compatible with phones that also work on VZW).

Maybe Apple is building a CDMA iPhone for the China Telecom market and to scare the bejesus out of AT&T?

It would be smart for Apple to sell a CDMA iPhone to China first this year, then roll it out to VZW in Janurary. Then they can make more money by screwing early VZW adopters by rolling out an LTE iPhone late next year.

Why would they build a CDMA iPhone for 65M potential subs when they could build a TD-SCDMA iPhone for 550M potential subs. Scaring AT&T is not an answer. If they are going to make a CDMA iPhone China is NOT their focus.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    mastericmasteric Posts: 89member
    I only had a buck for every time someone said the iPhone was coming to Verizon.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

It's deja-vu all over again

You mean deja- deja- deja- deja-vu-vu-vu-vu
  • Reply 50 of 77
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why would they build a CDMA iPhone for 65M potential subs when they could build a TD-SCDMA iPhone for 550M potential subs. Scaring AT&T is not an answer. If they are going to make a CDMA iPhone China is NOT their focus.

If they actually built a CDMA phone then there would be no reason why they couldn't offer it to Sprint also.

However eveyone at least in the US are into exclusive phones so not sure if the CDMA thing is true or not.

It seems like Verizon has really moved towards the Android market so iPhone rumors seem unlikely.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    Apple announces a CDMA/LTE iPhone for Verizon in late 2010. This makes sense to me as Verizon will be ramping up their LTE network, but will not have much it in place by year's end. An iPhone with LTE capabilities would be a bridging device and I bet, very popular - except with the poor suckers that took the "generous" upgrade bait from AT&T. Just my two.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iadroidx View Post

If this rumor is true, then I'm not so sure Verizon customers will acctually fall for the whole...."Youre holding the phone wrong" excuse. Or better yet...... just buy a bumper.

Verizon customers have teeth and have been known to bite back if treated unfairly. Especially when it comes to "state of the art technology".

What the heck are you smoking? Verizon treats its customers like dirt, same as the other carriers.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What the heck are you smoking? Verizon treats its customers like dirt, same as the other carriers.

Correct.

A recent Consumer Reports customer satisfaction survey of major American mobile operators showed that Verizon Wireless led the other three companies (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile) by a margin that was barely over the threshold of statistical significance. All four companies scored very closely and not well.

In short, Verizon is a 37" giant in a land of three-foot midgets.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct.

A recent Consumer Reports customer satisfaction survey of major American mobile operators showed that Verizon Wireless led the other three companies (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile) by a margin that was barely over the threshold of statistical significance. All four companies scored very closely and not well.

In short, Verizon is a 37" giant in a land of three-foot midgets.

LMAO!!!! I will have to use that one!!

Back on topic though, why would Apple try to adapt a phone for a technology that is on its way out. All of the major carriers in the United States are migrating to LTE. I see Apple using either a GSM/LTE chip for their next phone, or just straight up LTE (if it is backwards compatible with GSM). There is no way that they would actually use a completely different technology (and in my opinion inferior) just to court Verizon.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Hey AI, why don't you name your sources! What are you? The National Enquirer? You've gone downhill lately...

Read the damn article ... the source is BLOOMBERG.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You mean deja- deja- deja- deja-vu-vu-vu-vu

Deja vu-vu-zuela!
  • Reply 57 of 77
    n64kpsn64kps Posts: 8member
    Okay everybody, Bloomberg is one source. Steve Jobs himself is another.

ceoSteveJobs

Yes, the iPhone is coming to Verizon. 2011.

about 4 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

I don't see how no one is all over this?
  • Reply 58 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n64kps View Post

ceoSteveJobs

Steve Jobs uses Twitter?!

Ugh. That would be quite unlike him.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    n64kpsn64kps Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Steve Jobs uses Twitter?!

Ugh. That would be quite unlike him.

Yeah he does, and a lot of his tweets are actually quite funny. He pokes a lot a fun at a lot of people.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n64kps View Post

ceoSteveJobs

This is the same guy who said there will be an iPhone 4 recall. Don't fall for it.