AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception

Comments

• Reply 21 of 213
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

Apple's statement is completely accurate. My iPhone 4 gets much better reception and data speeds than my 3G. Andy Ihnatko, summed it up nicely in his thorough and unbiased review.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...-ihnatko-revie...

In regards to Signal Issues: "Bottom line on this bit: be aware of the problem ... but overall, don?t worry about it."

I like and respect Andy's reporting, but come on, the only way most folks would be aware of it is when they experience it, at which point, when I pay $200 for a phone and $90+ for monthly services, I am damn sure going to worry about it.
  • Reply 22 of 213
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    There's one way to stick it to Apple for not addressing or fixing this problem: RETURN IT FOR A REFUND! Most of you still have at least 25 days to do so. Nothing would speak louder than massive returns if this problem really does affect all iPhone 4's.
  • Reply 23 of 213
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    seriously, if it bugs you so much, return it.

the return policy is there exactly for situations like this.
  • Reply 24 of 213
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Apple had better hope this can be fixed with a software patch.

iPhone 4 in Vietnam having the dropped signal issue. So much for the bad batch theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC3EyEvd3g4

& UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_4Gdtul5cU
  • Reply 25 of 213
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

You obviously know nothing about Andy I.

true that, he is not a Dave Pouge or a Walt Mossburg style apple fanboy, he is a fair and down the middle guy who may have gotten it a little wrong on this one.
  • Reply 26 of 213
    bytorx1bytorx1 Posts: 11member
    First of, I own an iPhone 4 and I have yet to drop a call. When I heard about this "left handed" grip I tried it, and 35 minutes later not a dropped moment in my call.

If you look into ANY cell phone model there is a documented item telling you & I the "consumer" how the phone will best perform with a signal depending on how you hold it, Samsung, Nokia, Blackberry, Sony , they ALL have these issues and ALL have some form of documentation on this.

So as far as Free bumpers and all that crap, QUIT being a self entitled public!!!

Also, note that even when you do hold it and say the "signal bars" drop, this does NOT MEAN you will drop the call, seriously is everyone just effing stupid?

I work for a cell carrier (no not AT&T) but I have to side with Apple on this and even AT&T.

Just use the phone or you know what? RETURN the device and see how long you can live with out it.

Just shut up, use it and move on.
  • Reply 27 of 213
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Wow, now THAT'S what I call customer service!!!!

I guess Steve didn't want to pass up on another mercedes to fix his f-up.
  • Reply 28 of 213
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    iPhone 4 Reception Loss with Paperclip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgouz...=youtube_gdata
  • Reply 29 of 213
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

There's one way to stick it to Apple for not addressing or fixing this problem: RETURN IT FOR A REFUND! Most of you still have at least 25 days to do so. Nothing would speak louder than massive returns if this problem really does affect all iPhone 4's.

Yup... those 12 returns will really affect Apple's bottom line.
  • Reply 30 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Darn! I always hold paperclips in my hand while talking on the phone! I guess I shouldn't get the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 31 of 213
    Quote:

That video is obviously CGI'd. There is NO evidence for signal reception problems. What you've been told is a lie.

Steve Jobs said so.
  • Reply 32 of 213
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You waited three years just to post that? Come on, who are you really?

That being said, I wonder why Daniel Eran Dilger didn't write this piece

Even Daniel can't spin this one. There is either a real problem, or just a bunch of pissed off early buyers who got burned again by first release iPhone bugs.
  • Reply 33 of 213
    sf_dudesf_dude Posts: 14member
    I have both iPhone 3G and 4 - the reception on the 4 is much worse- it constantly drops calls and when I hold it in my left hand, I can see the bars go down.. Major fu**up!
  • Reply 34 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Darn! I always hold paperclips in my hand while talking on the phone! I guess I shouldn't get the iPhone 4.

No, that would be unreasonable. The only situation you should consider not getting the iPhone 4 is if you grasp the phone with your hand. But nobody does that anyways.
  • Reply 35 of 213
    steve jobs is demonstrating apples newest product called: iTheft, a magical new way of gaining access to consumers' wallets.

Looks like it is time to return all of these iphones and join the Class Action Law Suit that has been filed.

here: http://www.kcrlegal.com/iPhone-reception-problems.aspx

If your Fascist-Dictator jobs told All you fanibois to eat his sh$t y'all would kneel and gobble. I think jobs second-hand liver has failed and all the toxins have gone to his brain, and this is why he has become a bigger aHole than he use to be.
  • Reply 36 of 213
    motrekmotrek Posts: 8member
    Apple, you have to pick one:

1) All cell phones have this problem, it's a fact of life, nothing can be done

OR

2) This is a problem that can be solved with a small ring of plastic

You can't have it both ways. Idiots. And if the problem is solved with a small ring of plastic, then why isn't that PART OF THE DESIGN OF THE PHONE?

I was at an Apple store yesterday and was able to replicate the problem on the first try no problem. Holding the phone loosely in my left hand (as I normally do, since I'm right-handed) prevented me from receiving any data in any apps. When held by the glass, the phone worked as expected.

Oddly enough the phone showed 2-3 bars of reception even while not being able to download any data at all. So it is worthless to look at the bars and conclude that you don't suffer from an antenna problem.
  • Reply 37 of 213
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

Looks like Lefties are at a disadvantage.

uhm, no ...?

lefties? i'm right handed and hold my iPhone 3GS and iphone 4 in my left hand. like most good god-fearing christians. and i can reproduce this *problem* 100% of the time.

Quote:

Apple has advised its customers to avoid gripping the iPhone 4 in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band.

sorry. didn't have this *problem* with the 3GS.

let's see. i pay at&t for unlimited bytes. except they tell me i can't use those bytes for tethering or facetime or whatever else will bring their network to its knees. . now i have apple telling me i must not hold my phone in a certain way? give me an effing break. what's next? don't masturbate next to the wall, you'll injure your wrist?

seriously, i'm a fanboy of 30 years (and no boy) and an apple shareholder but this is ludicrous.
  • Reply 38 of 213
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Has anyone actually tried this?

I have tried to hold the phone when on a call in the incorrect way, i.e. covering the black strip with the palm of your hand. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! You can't cover the left black strip in your left hand without seriously blocking the phone from reaching your face. It is just not a natural position to hold the phone while on a call. You actually hold the phone with your fingers not your palm.

When I pick up my iPhone and put it in my left hand the left corner of the iPhone naturally fits snuggly in my palm, as I hold it to the side of my face to make a call it stays in exactly the same position and quickly leads to a failed call. I can still make calls because I can hold it differently, but making calls is actually worse than surfing because a) you can't see where you're gripping the phone b) you're only using one hand instead of sometimes two and c) the phones not parallel as much to the ground so there's more chance it could slip down through your fingers than if it were held flat.
  • Reply 39 of 213
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Yup... those 12 returns will really affect Apple's bottom line.

If it's only 12 returns, then we'll know this isn't a widespread problem, won't we?

But I can count at least quadruple that number of people on Apple's own forums claiming to have total loss of reception when they hold their phone. Maybe it only affects a certain number of phones, maybe all. We won't know until we know.
  • Reply 40 of 213
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Oh no... I carry a paper clip with me all the time. I mean every single time... I intentionally strap a paper clip on the lower left corner of my phone. So I guess I won't be buying an iPhone 4 since I can't use my beloved paper clip with it...