AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception

Comments

• Reply 141 of 213
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

The Genius at the Apple Store would not exchange my iPhone 4 today. And this was after I demonstrated a dropped call, halted data retrieval, and taking the cellular signal down to one bar just by laying the iPhone flat in the palm of my hand so that I only touched the glass back and not the metal.

So I then asked him if all iPhones have this issue and his reply was yes, it is a known problem and Apple is working on a software update that should be released soon to address the problem. He said that should just wait and see what happens. If the software update doesn't help, I guess it'll just get returned.

Make sure you got his name. Also FYI when you go to a Genius and they tell you stuff like that, make sure your ask them to document what they told you on their computer and get the case#. That way in case you go back later and want to return it they can't hit you up with a restocking fee. I've had a lot of experience with geniuses. Lately, they have been pretty dismal. I have caught them sending out my clients computers without even testing them after repair. I have caught them outright lying to me when there was a problem with a MBP. I have even told Applecare reps what was told to me by geniuses and they were outraged at the mistruths. Just make sure you get that case# and keep using it and call Applecare every time there is a problem. This helps you build your case.
  • Reply 142 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

it's a brilliant piece of technology... shrug. no problems here.. it even actually handles calls and data better here in Sf.. and that is huge for me. The 3GS was worse here for sure.

there is straight up hysteria going on right now... it could almost be a case study... how humans will take a visual cue over reality. remember when the 1G iPhone's battery meter would only charge to 99%? Even tho it was totally charged it caused a shit storm.

lol

it is utterly silly people get so swayed by bloggers they lose their minds.

Have you not bothered to read the posts in this thread? Clearly NOT, or you would understand that this problem does indeed affect call quality and the dropping of calls. It also affects data transmission performance.

This issue is WAAAAY more than a cosmetic idiosyncrasy.
  • Reply 143 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

Yep, I'm in the same boat...just resting the phone in my hand, I will loose my data connection in under a minute. If I place the phone on a flat surface, it comes right back. Holding the phone and while on a call, I'll drop that call in under a minute...

I think the heart of the matter is the old phrase..The silence is deafening...

Apple needs to step up and address this issue that some (not all, or even a majority) but a significant number are having with this phone.

- If they believe the phone doesn't have a reception issue, that need to make a public statement saying so.

- If they believe "a small number" of iPhone 4 users are experiencing reception issues and we are investigating the issue, they need to say so.

From what I can tell, there has been a public statement about "You need to hold the phone the correct way" and supposedly from SJ himself, "No reception issue, stay tuned". O'h and everyone else is holding out hope for an update because a friend of a friend, who has a grandmother who happened to be online, saw a post in the Apple support forum about a firmware update that is coming that will fix the issue. But magically, that posting has vanished...while the thread "the real reason for bad reception" has over 67 pages, a lot of them bashing Apple for the reception issues...lingers on...

This leads me to another point about people posting about, "My phone is working great, this isn't an issue"...Maybe for you, that is freaking great! I wish I could say the same but right now, I can't. And that is the issue...I really want to like this phone, honestly I think it's awesome but for me and whatever XX% of people it affects, I'm getting the i but not the Phone part, in iPhone right now! I don't want an Android phone or anything else...I want the iPhone I like to just work...

For the people who say, "Buy a case, that solves the issue...", again freaking great and I'm buying a case, not because I need one but because I'm willing to try anything to make this phone work! It shouldn't need a case but what the hell, if that is what it takes, I'm game...

For the people who say, "return it then if you don't like it"...Your missing the point...I and others who are having issues don't want to just return it, because everything else about the phone is pretty damn cool. We just want (for those affected) the most basic function this phone was designed to do, to just work...

Ok, I need a drink! lol

Well said! I especially liked the phrase about having the "i" and missing the "phone" in our iPhones. Let's hope and trust that Uncle Steve can and will come up with a solution soon.
  • Reply 144 of 213
    bytorx1bytorx1 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

How about you shut up and move on Apple plant. Really you create an account and your first post is this? Pathetic. How about you get a few quality posts, that way someone here may actually care what you have to say.

If by Apple plant you are saying Apple got me to do this? Believe me I'm no Apple plant.

not even close.
  • Reply 145 of 213
    Quote:

You definitely are not fully aware of this problem. I can drop any call in 30 seconds or less every time, just by holding my iPhone the way I want to hold it - that is comfortable for me. Done it over and over - absolutely no problem! My iPhone 3G and 3GS performed far superior in this regard.

Then this is what I find peculiar. I can assure you that I have not had any issues with my iPhone4, and although I can tell you I I see those AT&T bars drop even on a previous cell phone that I've used, it still maintains a call and not drop.

So surely I can't be the only iPhone4 user who has or is having good luck with the iPhone.

So hearing all these complaints if you will, makes me question how many here wouldn't drop the same calls from that same location using another device- that's all.
  • Reply 146 of 213
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Apropos of nothing, but...

Those rabid Apple-hating denizens at MacDailyNews have a poll on the reception issue, the results at the time of my visit following:

No issues - iP4 - 43.7%

No issues - 3Gs - 19.6%

No issues - 3G - 10.8%

Issues - iP4 - 21.2%

Issues - 3Gs - 2.9%

Issues - 3G - 1.8%

All phones running iOS 4

Total of 1746 votes

Make of that what you will but I doubt that we're looking at 1%-ish numbers. And nope, I have no idea why the poll was constructed as it was. Interesting that the 3G and 3Gs "issues" are much lower proportionally than the 3G and 3Gs "no issues" numbers. Which seems to suggest that the 3G and 3Gs are much less prone to reception problems than some believe.

In the end though, it's hardly scientific. Intriguing maybe...
  • Reply 147 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

This is getting silly...

Seemingly the same group of folks on this Forum are screaming at Apple here... The Sky Is Falling...

Others say what I've been thinking:

Shut Up and Return It? But the screamers don't seem to respond to that! So then I wonder:

what do they really want? Are they trolls, or whatever?

Then there are those who try to recreate this issue and can't! The funniest yet was the guy whose wife had this issue with 2 of their phones, but the guy/husband can't recreate this issue, and same goes for most others who have bought this product which is hardly available because of the huge demand!

Most people use iPhone with Cases! Many use it with Hands-free Ear Pieces, wired or Bluetooth, thus this issue won't come up in those cases!

Of course there are always those to whom Steve Jobs is a Devil..., and so they wish him, a cancer survivor, a speedy death, or so it seems from their venomous comments!

So... If most people are not having this issue, and Apple can't meet the demand, is it fair to be demanding free Bumpers?

Apple refuses to be dragged into this topic, as they are likely working on a fix...

Apple doesn't want to acknowledge this as a problem, cause they don't feel that it is!

Apple's Refund Policy allows for Return of their products, and I assume that includes item!

So, by dealing with this the way Apple is, Apple is calling some people's bluff -- Shut Up, or Return it for a Refund...

People are free to buy another phone, or design their own!

As I've read some antenna expert:

It's always a trade off! Apple took this antenna to the edge for better reception, because they understand that most people will use the case, and or Hands-Free!

With all the conflicting reports, plus no problem for most people, it's hard to know what the best fix would be!

I am getting suspicious of the same names here SCREAMING at Apple!

Again I say:

Apple is calling your bluff -- Shut Up, or Return it for a Refund!

Buy another phone, or design their own!

Thank you!!! and that's why I only just registered today to comment back on some of the BS people are just screaming for the sake of it.

Seriously, it's bad? you unhappy? return it.
  • Reply 148 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Make sure you got his name. Also FYI when you go to a Genius and they tell you stuff like that, make sure your ask them to document what they told you on their computer and get the case#. That way in case you go back later and want to return it they can't hit you up with a restocking fee. I've had a lot of experience with geniuses. Lately, they have been pretty dismal. I have caught them sending out my clients computers without even testing them after repair. I have caught them outright lying to me when there was a problem with a MBP. I have even told Applecare reps what was told to me by geniuses and they were outraged at the mistruths. Just make sure you get that case# and keep using it and call Applecare every time there is a problem. This helps you build your case.

Thanks for the tips. Fortunately, I did have the presence of mind to do just that even though my mind was racing with disappointment from his response. I have a case number with Apple Care and the "Genius" at the Apple Store promised he would document everything I demonstrated to him and that we discussed today. I should have gotten a printout though, so I could double check his abilities to document correctly. It felt like the Genius didn't have any more clue about the problem than any of us do. It also seemed like he had been instructed to not exchange any iPhones, even though the problems were demonstrated to him in person.
  • Reply 149 of 213
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    1) Ship defective product

2) Tell customers they can fix the issue by purchasing $30 accessory that costs 30 cents to manufacture

3) PROFIT!!!!!

I hold my iPhone 4 in my right hand and no matter where I grip it I get bad reception and dropped calls. If I set it down the bars shoot up. Clearly inadequate real world testing was done. Only a small handful of people used it outside the Apple campus and those who did used it inside a fake 3GS exterior with likely an additional soft case as protection. So problems with reception were never discovered.

And no, I don't want to return my new iPhone. It's absolutely a brilliant device in almost every way and for the first time leaves Android phone with almost no advantages (aside from being able to make and receive calls). I just want Apple to take responsibility for their products.
  • Reply 150 of 213
    For those who own an iP4 and are not satisfied with it...return it. It's your right!!

For those who don't own an iP4 but keep complaining about it...carry on. It's your right!!

But just keep an eye on your blood pressure and relax. Have a beer every now and then.
  • Reply 151 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bytorx1 View Post

Then this is what I find peculiar. I can assure you that I have not had any issues with my iPhone4, and although I can tell you I I see those AT&T bars drop even on a previous cell phone that I've used, it still maintains a call and not drop.

So surely I can't be the only iPhone4 user who has or is having good luck with the iPhone.

So hearing all these complaints if you will, makes me question how many here wouldn't drop the same calls from that same location using another device- that's all.

No doubt whatsoever you are having great service with iPhone 4, as you state. So are most others here.

The problem that many of us are experiencing here, however relates to the iPhone 4 performance with regards to cellular and data transmissions. When compared in side by side testing using an iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G in the same locations, MY iPhone 4 does not compare favorably when held in a wide variety of methods. My iPhone 4 has problems when held in any number of ways, even with just two fingers holding the sides or simply laying flat in the palm of a hand and not touching any metal at all. For example, I can drop a call from my iPhone 4 in 30 seconds or less when a colleague gives the signal to begin. I can do this every time I test it and have shown several colleagues, family and friends. I have done it with Apple Care and with a Apple Store Genius today. Similar tests with a 3GS and 3G demonstrate that I cannot drop any call on demand. None.

Further, just by laying the iPhone 4 flat in the palm of my hand so that I am only touching the back glass and no metal, I can drop the cellular service to one bar. And at one bar, it will hold the call, but my iPhone 4 call quality drops to a level where you want to disconnect the call anyway. At one bar, the voice cuts in and out and is badly garbled. Again, I cannot duplicate this with the 3GS and 3G just by laying it flat in the palm of my hand. Data transmission also suffers a similar fate with the iPhone 4. It will halt until I lay the phone down, at which point it will continue and complete just as it should. My iPhone 4 won't be able to get into the App Store when being held flat in the palm of my hand, but again, the 3GS and 3G will just fine. I have heard from some people who have purchased Apple's Bumper, that it was not able to help the poor performance caused by laying the unit flat in your hand. Which of course makes sense, since its purpose is just to shield the metal antennas from being touched.

I have tried these tests all around town and get similar results. The only place where the iPhone 4 worked great was at the AT&T store. It performed fine there. The representative explained that they have exceeding strong network signal inside the store. Makes sense. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have the very best signal money could buy there. I'm optimistic that Apple and / or AT&T will be able to work out a solution.
  • Reply 152 of 213
    I am willing to bet that Apple's legal department insisted that bumper cases should NOT be given away because it will weaken their defense of any lawsuit that alleges the new iPhone is defective.
  • Reply 153 of 213
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

Apple's statement is completely accurate. My iPhone 4 gets much better reception and data speeds than my 3G. Andy Ihnatko, summed it up nicely in his thorough and unbiased review.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...-ihnatko-revie...

In regards to Signal Issues: "Bottom line on this bit: be aware of the problem ... but overall, don?t worry about it."

I'm sorry, but Ihnatko is anything but unbiased. Listen to him on MacBreak Weekly, he's an unapologetic fanboy. If Leo wasn't there to balance things out the show would simply be an Apple commercial. (which is saying something, as Leo himself is an Apple fanatic)
  • Reply 154 of 213
    clark80clark80 Posts: 28member
    I always noticed since I first had a mobile phone (10 years plus) that sometimes you need to move your hand around for better reception or in case you accidentally cover/obstruct the mic.

I have had a few dropped calls with iPhone 4 and usually dial back and adjsut how I am holding it to avoid a repeat. Not ideal but I can live it.

My problem is when I am using the phone in landscape it becomes difficult to adjust how I hold it and I end up getting a no service indicator and my internet drops.

I could buy a bumper but I prefer the naked feel of the phone.

I am going to wait to see if a software fix is available and if not then I'll get a refund and go back to my 3G S (which has been absolutely perfect)
  • Reply 155 of 213
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    I've read them, and seen a headline about it on every single major news outlet. Since the phone works better than the previous gen for me there is no waaaaaaay it's more than anything other than hysterics.

Quote:

Have you not bothered to read the posts in this thread? Clearly NOT, or you would understand that this problem does indeed affect call quality and the dropping of calls. It also affects data transmission performance.

This issue is WAAAAY more than a cosmetic idiosyncrasy.

• Reply 156 of 213
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Do you hold it like this?

He won't have problems as he wears a rubber gloves!
  • Reply 157 of 213
    Why complain so much....use a rubber band (some groceries shops does gave away - its free solution) and wrap around the metallic antennas for those who had problems or those palms with low resistance or sweaty palm. Guess those who had dry palms will be a blessing in disguise!
  • Reply 158 of 213
    Quote:

No doubt whatsoever you are having great service with iPhone 4, as you state. So are most others here.

The problem that many of us are experiencing here, however relates to the iPhone 4 performance with regards to cellular and data transmissions. When compared in side by side testing using an iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G in the same locations, MY iPhone 4 does not compare favorably when held in a wide variety of methods. My iPhone 4 has problems when held in any number of ways, even with just two fingers holding the sides or simply laying flat in the palm of a hand and not touching any metal at all. For example, I can drop a call from my iPhone 4 in 30 seconds or less when a colleague gives the signal to begin. I can do this every time I test it and have shown several colleagues, family and friends. I have done it with Apple Care and with a Apple Store Genius today. Similar tests with a 3GS and 3G demonstrate that I cannot drop any call on demand. None.

My two cents worth of comment - every body has a very different body makeup. Some may have higher resistance to electrical current flow into their body while others just passes through easily. So my guess is you may be one of those who conducts electricity easier then anyone else.

Me....I can hold electric charges to a point where discharges could break down an electronics control circuit!
  • Reply 159 of 213
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    AnandTech crew recreates signal problems and compares to other phones:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2
  • Reply 160 of 213
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I like and respect Andy's reporting, but come on, the only way most folks would be aware of it is when they experience it, at which point, when I pay $200 for a phone and $90+ for monthly services, I am damn sure going to worry about it.

I think it might be fixable with software with a boost but less battery time unless they re machine. Otherwise with all these seemingly lawsuits, one would think apple could afford a 0.29 cents piece of rubber. But now there's this whole procimety problem. I droped mine a few times face down but with a rubber cover and sheet to keep it new looking. My biggest concern was that drop test they did and it cracked EVERYWHERE. yikes.