Wireless experts weigh in on iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 101 of 380
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

WOW. I never thought AI had it in 'em to post an article that paints the iPhone 4 in such a negative light.

At least AI isn't acting like people are creating a mass "hysteria" anymore.

It's two people not every 'expert' out there. So it's really not that negative.

And it is still pretty much 'hysteria' because no one can validate the actual number, without double hits, lying etc. And show that the number is actually anything close to large enough to declare a major design flaw. Very very few people, compared to the 1.7 million phones reportedly sold have 100% problems no matter where they are and how they hold the phone etc. And still very few have any problems at all.

When you can prove numbers that are even 5% of all the phones at least 50% of the time regardless of grip, reception in the area, use of a case etc then you can start talking about a serious flaw. Until then it is 'hysteria' to call this a major issue that Apple needs to fix right now, replace all phones, stop production, free cases or whatever else folks are shouting
  • Reply 102 of 380
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

3dB is half of power. It is not small. That's why we, engineers, have logarithmic expression of power just to compress large drop/increase.

I am sure Mr. Gaywood stands humbly in the shadow of your erudition.
  • Reply 103 of 380
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, but if you read the articles you'll find that in many cases the bars disappear but the signal actually doesn't. Also almost the whole point of what the first expert was saying was that the bar display is basically made up and can at times have no relation at all to whether the call is going to be dropped.

The problem is that people believe reception is a problem on the phone even though all objective tests say that reception is overall *better* on the iPhone 4 than on any other phone or any previous iPhone. In some cases, this perception of poor reception is accurate, in other cases, not.

It's a hardware/software/firmware problem and a software/firmware fix can solve a large part of it even though underlying problems created by the design of the product may remain for a few.

I can place my pinky on the little black strip and cut off all downloads to the device. I get 0kbps when I touch the black band, but when I let go... boom, I got 1.5mbps. I think that's worrying. So no, it's not just about bars... it's about stopping data and calls all together. It sucks, but that's the way it is for me. Also, I don't even have to grip it tight... just rest my pinky finger on the black strip.

I'm glad you think there's not a bad problem.
  • Reply 104 of 380
    yes i realize this is my first post, so take it for what it's worth, but you can add me to the list of those who haven't had any issues.

i upgraded from an original iphone 2g and couldn't be happier!
  • Reply 105 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The difference, I think, isn't that Apple hasn't solved it. They are being pilloried because they won't even acknowledge it. Maybe Dick and Anand are wrong and Jobs is right and there is no problem. If, however, there is a problem unique to the design of the iPhone 4, then they deserve to be called on it, if they choose instead to simply deny the problem.

I agree with you, but Apple has to be very careful in what they say because of legal and regulatory ramifications.

Don't you think that all those Congressmen, all running for reelection in November, would love to bask in the FaceTime [sic] glory of skewering Steve Jobs on live TV, then replayed, ad nauseam, on the newscasts. Mmmm... Perfect! They can schedule the hearings after the July recess, say, mid-October.

• Reply 106 of 380
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

I guess, you missed the part where I intentionally dead short it with a metal coin and still don't have a substantial drop in the connectivity. So, all the theories of 'shorting' the gap with skin don't hold water.

You have to understand electronics. A metal coin offers little in regards to resistance. Human digits however introduce resistance. A coin that shorts two antennas together that are broadcasting the same signal is different than putting a resistive load between them. The Coin essentially becomes part of the antenna, your fingers drain power from them. It's not so unbelieveable that a coin wouldn't hurt them much, where your finger would.
  • Reply 107 of 380
    IDC

IM still getting one by the time they get to Canada Problem fix
  • Reply 108 of 380
    drk_onedrk_one Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

These problems are so obvious, Apple surely had a contingency plan.

I completely agree, Foo2. I've been saying it since this "non-issue" became an issue. I truly believe that it's more than-a-coincidence that Apple's first attempt at a case/bumper was for this particular iPhone.
  • Reply 109 of 380
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

I can place my pinky on the little black strip and cut off all downloads to the device. I get 0kbps when I touch the black band, but when I let go... boom, I got 1.5mbps. I think that's worrying. So no, it's not just about bars... it's about stopping data and calls all together. It sucks, but that's the way it is for me. Also, I don't even have to grip it tight... just rest my pinky finger on the black strip.

This is really the crux of the matter. All this discussion of attenuation caused by gripping it this way or that is really just a distraction, that isn't really going to be that problematic. This problem, however, is the one that does need to be examined, explained and addressed.
  • Reply 110 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

My daughter met two Apple engineers while vacationing in Hawaii a few weeks ago. They said when Apple was developing Aperture, Jobs was so displeased with the lack of progress, he walked in and told everyone to collect their things and leave, you're fired!

This is consistent with other reports of Steve's employee relations:

Quote:

No one greets him or says hi to him. Low ranking employees are afraid of him. I remember him walking around the campus one time and groups of people in his way would just split and let him walk through.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-return-2009-8
  • Reply 111 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    What are the first 5 digits of everyone with an iPhone 4?
    Mine is: 88022

Factory: 88 . .= ???

. .Year: . 0 . = 2010

. .Week: . .22 = May 30th?June 5th?
    Does anyone have more detailed info and is there yet a site that is detailing which serial numbers are affected?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drk_one View Post

I completely agree, Foo2. I've been saying it since this "non-issue" became an issue. I truly believe that it's more than-a-coincidence that Apple's first attempt at a case/bumper was for this particular iPhone.

Your argument is Apple purposely built a phone that would have signal issues from being held (even though this isn't happening in all iPhone 4s) so they could sell you a $30 case? What about the case they made for the iPad? What about the fact they don't ship a Bumper with every iPhone as the proper way to use the device? What about Bumpers being in such short supply compared to iPhones? Nothing suggests that Apple's decision to make the Bumpers was to pull a "fast one' over the consumer because they knew you could "short out" your reception by touching metal.
  • Reply 112 of 380
    In my opinion these issues are equivallent to buying a new car that's missing a tire. I think Apple needs to step up and take care of it's customers and not take advantage of them.

Find discount cell phones online.
  • Reply 113 of 380
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member
    I don't trust these "marginal areas" because there is too much flux .

How's about a controlled test. Like say inside a giant, shielded room with it's own cell tower and with the proper testing equipment on both the iPhone and cell tower side??

These test are too anecdotal.
  • Reply 114 of 380
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

This is consistent with other reports of Steve's employee relations:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-return-2009-8

Fear is a better motivator than reverence. I guarantee you the job for antenna engineer hirings are due to people who've been fired.

I think that someone else put it best; Apple is one man's toy factory.
  • Reply 115 of 380
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your argument is Apple purposely built a phone that would have signal issues from being held (even though this isn't happening in all iPhone 4s) so they could sell you a $30 case? What about the case they made for the iPad? What about the fact they don't ship a Bumper with every iPhone as the proper way to use the device? What about Bumpers being in such short supply compared to iPhones? Nothing suggests that Apple's decision to make the Bumpers was to pull a "fast one' over the consumer because they knew you could "short out" your reception by touching metal.

Of course they didn't purposely build a phone with this issue. My personal opinion is that this antenna issue was noticed far too late in the designing/production process. Thus they came up with this cheaper solution instead of redesigning and delaying the iPhone 4. They took a chance this issue would not get the attention it is now receiving. It's just too much of a coincidence that this is the first time Apple has produced a case. And the case only covers the antenna.
  • Reply 116 of 380
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Right.

People are dying because they can't skootch their hand a millimeter one way or the other.

I've never seen such screwed up priorities and childish whining as I have in the past week.

You obviously don't have a iPhone, and if that's the case; might I suggest that you are a brain-dead fanboi. When you have a dog in the fight, then your opinion isn't a waste of bandwidth.

I have a iPhone, and I can't use it while I'm at work. I've had it since the day it was released, and left Verizon (that had fantastic coverage) because I assumed Apple knew what it was doing - especially since this is the 4th generation device.

If you would trouble yourself to READ and THINK (yeah, both at the same time); you'd know that the antennae in question runs along the bottom of the phone, and along the left hand of the phone. So, how to you hold a cell phone on 2 adjacent sides?

What's the difference if I hold it in my left or my right hand? That's bogus. The antennae that I need to use for cell phones is the long antenna that includes the volume buttons; this antennae cannot be shorted to the antenna that runs along the bottom of the phone.

So, how does one hold a rectangular phone if you cannot touch the bottom of the phone and the side? Now, I have 4 fingers and a thumb (maybe other people don't - but I do) on each hand. When I pick up anything, I grab adjacent sides and the bottom of the phone in a casual grip. If I do not grab the bottom of the phone, there is the possibility of the phone slipping through my fingers and dropping on the floor.

If I grab the bottom of the phone, and only the right hand side, then the phone can easily fall out of my hands - so that's not practical either.

I bought a $30 case, and WITH THE CASE IN PLACE - I don't drop bars as easily as before; but I still have lousy coverage depending upon what direction the phone faces. So, might I inject that part of the problem is that the antennae is inherently directional in nature.

Where this should be a omni-directional antennae; the iPhone appears to have directional characteristics.
  • Reply 117 of 380
    stoobsstoobs Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What are the first 5 digits of everyone with an iPhone 4?
    Mine is: 88022

Factory: 88 . .= ???

. .Year: . 0 . = 2010

. .Week: . .22 = May 30th?June 5th?
    Does anyone have more detailed info and is there yet a site that is detailing which serial numbers are affected?

Also 88022 here - UK iPhone 4 purchased from the online Apple store

Could anyone with an iPhone which *doesn't* exhibit the issue confirm if the first five digits of their serial number matches or not?
  • Reply 118 of 380
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockman View Post

Hats off to AppleInsider for this forum post and thread. Both reports from these independents describe my problems exactly since I unboxed my beloved iP4 1 week ago.

iJobz cannot keep insulting us with his denial and useless rhetoric forever!

Fix this freaking problem!

Return your freaking phone and buy something else! With your opinion of Jobs and Apple I have to wonder why you and your comrades are still lurking and screaming. Why in the hell are you still an Apple customer? Do you actually like dealing with what you consider to be an evil corporation with no feelings or concerns for its customers? Aren't you and others displaying classic symptoms of battered spouse syndrome and Stockholm syndrome. It sure does look that way to me. How utterly sick. Do business with a company you respect instead of sticking with one you consider the personification of evil. God there are physiologically sick people in this forum.
  • Reply 119 of 380
    galoregalore Posts: 35member
    Sure, my IP4 also drops bars (but still has signal) if I bridge the gap...

I just hold it so that I don't bridge the gap and it works perfectly. If I had the choice between sleek stainless steel band and perfect reception, I'd choose the former because the phone works just fine, no matter how it's held.

I kinda agree with Job's response. How difficult is it to just slide the phone 1/2 inch down to clear the gap?!

Total crybabies. And the comparison with Toyota - ridiculous. As if 2 dropped bars equal run-away acceleration of a car. LOL!
  • Reply 120 of 380
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    I wonder if this whole thing would go away if the bumpers didn't seem to be so overpriced. I can imagine it's annoying if the phone drops calls because you are holding it in a way you naturally hold any other phone, and it's probably doubly annoying if the solution to that is to pay what feels like way over the odds for the bumper.

For the record, I don't own an iPhone 4, so I can't comment on how severe this problem is. I have a Blackberry that my company gives me, and that's shit for reasons a cover won't fix.