Wireless experts weigh in on iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 121 of 380
    drk_onedrk_one Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your argument is Apple purposely built a phone that would have signal issues from being held (even though this isn't happening in all iPhone 4s) so they could sell you a $30 case?

No, solipsism... that wasn't my assertion, nor did my statement require the type of response it received. I think this was a case where, this defect was noticed too late in the manufacturing process, and some genius at Apple came up with Plan B instead of scrapping the original design. It was a coincidence, not a conspiracy. That was my point. Chill out...
  • Reply 122 of 380
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Of course they didn't purposely build a phone with this issue. My personal opinion is that this antenna issue was noticed far too late in the designing/production process. Thus they came up with this cheaper solution instead of redesigning and delaying the iPhone 4. They took a chance this issue would not get the attention it is now receiving. It's just too much of a coincidence that this is the first time Apple has produced a case. And the case only covers the antenna.

Nice catch.
  • Reply 123 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

HA!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/a...r-some-reason/

Three Apple job postings for iPhone / iPad antenna engineers to "Define and implement antenna system architecture to optimize the radiation performance for wireless portable devices." All three were posted on June 23rd, the same day that we started seeing widespread reporting of the left-handed reception issues. Coincidence?

I'd say: "Coincidence? Yes!"

First: it takes a bit of time to get a hiring request through HR.

Second: if they have an immediate need to resolve an iPhone 4 defect, they would get quicker results by contracting experts as consultants, rather than going through the: interviewing; reviewing; hiring; being on the job process (a process that could easily take weeks or months).

Third: Apple has many recent patents involving wireless communication-- from this I infer that Apple is working on several wireless devices to be used with, or in conjunction with, the iPhone and iPad.

Some rumored devices have been: an inexpensive universal remote control; various NFC/RFID device features to enhance purchasing goods, boarding trains, etc; AppleTV-like server device that allows multiple content, concurrently streaming to different devices-- say, several iPhones and iPads throughout the house (or campus) concurrently watching different movies/TV shows/Video Podcasts/Educational courses.

There were some additional listings, and more information posted here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/30/...neering-staff/

If you look at the archives of the following site you will find a lot of patent activity related to wireless communication

http://www.patentlyapple.com/

• Reply 124 of 380
    galoregalore Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I have a iPhone, and I can't use it while I'm at work. I've had it since the day it was released, and left Verizon (that had fantastic coverage) because I assumed Apple knew what it was doing - especially since this is the 4th generation device.

Why don't you just return it?!
  • Reply 125 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Of course they didn't purposely build a phone with this issue. My personal opinion is that this antenna issue was noticed far too late in the designing/production process. Thus they came up with this cheaper solution instead of redesigning and delaying the iPhone 4. They took a chance this issue would not get the attention it is now receiving. It's just too much of a coincidence that this is the first time Apple has produced a case. And the case only covers the antenna.

That's a silly assumption. Apple has a phone they are working on for a couple years. They specifics on every aspect of the phone, not just a simple rating of zero to 5 bars to denote signal strength. You're saying that Apple had no knowledge of how RF attenuation works AND didn't do any real world testing until after it was being produced AND then decided to design the Bumpers at the last minute to correct this problem BUT only for a sale price WHILST not coating the antenna for cheap in the factory AND hoping that no one who had an iPhone would notice any reception issues because Apple doesn't get any attention in the media? WTH!?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stoobs View Post

Also 88022 here - UK iPhone 4 purchased from the online Apple store

Could anyone with an iPhone which *doesn't* exhibit the issue confirm if the first five digits of their serial number matches or not?

My phone doesn't have any issues with reception, service or throughput when I touch "the spot".
  • Reply 126 of 380
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'd say yes!

First: it takes a bit of time to get a hiring request through HR.

Second: if they have an immediate need to resolve an iPhone 4 defect, they would get quicker results by contracting experts as consultants, rather than going through the: interviewing; reviewing; hiring; being on the job process (a process that could easily take weeks or months).

Third: Apple has many recent patents involving wireless communication-- from this I infer that Apple is working on several wireless devices to be used with, or in conjunction with, the iPhone and iPad.

Some rumored devices have been: an inexpensive universal remote control; various NCF/RFID device features to enhance purchasing goods, boarding trains, etc; AppleTV-like server device that allows multiple content, concurrently streaming to different devices-- say, several iPhones and iPads throughout the house (or campus) concurrently watching different movies/TV shows/Video Podcasts/Educational courses.

There were some additional listings, and more information posted here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/30/...neering-staff/

If you look at the archives of the following site you will find a lot of patent activity related to wireless communication

http://www.patentlyapple.com/

Or it could be Steve Jobs is pissed about this whole antenna issue and fired the group responsible for it. Now he needs people to fill their shoes.
  • Reply 127 of 380
    stoobsstoobs Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My phone doesn't have any issues with reception, service or throughput when I touch "the spot".

Interesting - mine drops like a stone if I hold it naturally in my left hand.

Not that it bothers me much, it doesn't take much to just alter my grip slightly

The only annoyance would be if it still exhibited the issue whilst placed in my pocket, as missing calls from that would certainly be a major issue - I've not noticed anything yet though.
  • Reply 128 of 380
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

What is "telling" is that you claim someone reporting no issues with the iPhone 4 to be the only person giving a hands-on review. Clearly you're adopting the classic head-in-sand approach to the numerous other reports on Appleinsider (and elsewhere) from owners of the iPhone 4 who ARE having problems.

I can only hope Apple is not taking the same approach as you (though Jobs and Apple's initial responses were very disconcerting).

You misinterpreted my response and I am willing to admit that it may be my fault.

What is telling is the lack of response from those that have been vilifying Apple and the iPhone and yet have failed to participate. It begs the question, are those that are speaking so vociferously opposing actually have the device?

Certainly, if we are interested in getting the issue resolved, why not contribute to helping sift out the rhetoric and get some usable data even though to can only demonstrate a pattern at that.
  • Reply 129 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am sure Mr. Greenwood stands humbly in the shadow of your erudition.

If you can't debate the FACT, then insult the messenger .... nice work!
  • Reply 130 of 380
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galore View Post

Sure, my IP4 also drops bars (but still has signal) if I bridge the gap...

I just hold it so that I don't bridge the gap and it works perfectly. If I had the choice between sleek stainless steel band and perfect reception, I'd choose the former because the phone works just fine, no matter how it's held.

I kinda agree with Job's response. How difficult is it to just slide the phone 1/2 inch down to clear the gap?!

Total crybabies. And the comparison with Toyota - ridiculous. As if 2 dropped bars equal run-away acceleration of a car. LOL!

Whatever... Most consumers obviously have much higher standards/expectations for device functionality than you.
  • Reply 131 of 380
    Quote:

Why don't you just return it?!

Let's look at the alternatives, shall we?

Trade it in for a new G4 (others have done this, problem repeats - why bother?)

Commit to a 2 yr contract with a competitor for an inferior phone

Commit to a 2 yr contract with a 3GS and stay with AT&T

Or, apply pressure to Apple to fix the problem, and make good on the product they advertised.

I still have 3 weeks to tell AT&T that I am cancelling my contract due to the inability of Apple to deliver the product they promised - so unless Apple actually does deliver - I will go back to Verizon and get the Incredable.
  • Reply 132 of 380
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Dick Gaywood?

Uh, hi. You may know Richard, but you don't know.....
  • Reply 133 of 380
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    That chart should sell some 3gs's.

Seriously, .2 on open palm while ip4 is 9.2? 1.9 compared to 19.8 hed naturally!!??

What's bizarre though is the ip4 is the only one who's signal actually gets better with a case. I guess that's just because it's just so bad with skin to phone that it would get better.

Interesting article.
  • Reply 134 of 380
    Quote:

Let's look at the alternatives, shall we?

Trade it in for a new G4 (others have done this, problem repeats - why bother?)

Commit to a 2 yr contract with a competitor for an inferior phone

Commit to a 2 yr contract with a 3GS and stay with AT&T

Or, apply pressure to Apple to fix the problem, and make good on the product they advertised.

I still have 3 weeks to tell AT&T that I am cancelling my contract due to the inability of Apple to deliver the product they promised - so unless Apple actually does deliver - I will go back to Verizon and get the Incredable.

I was in agreement with you all the way up until the end, then I lol'd. The incredible apparently suffers from the same issue. It might not be as bad, but it's still there.

I say the features of the phone are enough to just stick a rubber case on it and then use the warranty once you know revised versions are coming off the assembly line (if that ever happens.)
  • Reply 135 of 380
    Quote:

Sure, my IP4 also drops bars (but still has signal) if I bridge the gap...

I kinda agree with Job's response. How difficult is it to just slide the phone 1/2 inch down to clear the gap?!

Total crybabies. And the comparison with Toyota - ridiculous. As if 2 dropped bars equal run-away acceleration of a car. LOL!

"I smoke and don't have cancer - therefore there is no such thing as cancer".

Here's a newflash for you .... cell phones are analog in nature, there is some level of signal that is required to defeat background noise and establish a signal. If you are in a high coverage area - you will find it almost impossible to block the signal. Use a metal coin, heck - weld the silly gap with gold. The strength of the signal will blast through loud and clear.

But, go for a hike, or drive your car away from the high signal areas, and get a flat tire. Enjoy trying to call for help when you drop the call every time you touch your phone. Not everyone lives and works next to a tower - and sooner or later you will travel to an area with poor coverage. Then you too will discover the joy of dropping calls, or losing service by simply touching the phone.

And when some idiot (hello Stevie) says "You are holding the phone wrong"; you will want to stick your phone in a very unhygenic place. All you have to do is touch the phone - or even lay it in your palm.

As another poster cleverly pointed out.... what an amazing coincidence that the first time that Apple has ever made a case for an iPhone, the case is the only product that makes their iPhone useable.
  • Reply 136 of 380
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Today I went to an O2 store in a town near me that's gets Edge not 3G and with my Vodafone iPhone 4 tried on 2 cases one plasic and one rubber. At the front of the store I had five bars then holding the phone naturally with no case it dropped to no service, with the case it dropped to 2 bars and no lower. Both cases seemed exactly the same for reception quality. I also tested standing further into the store. Without touching the lower left corner got 2 bars with no case it quickly fell to no service with each case and holding the phone naturally, it fell to no service but took a few seconds longer.

I also tried one of the display iPhone 4's. It was showing 5 bars on o2's 3G. When I held the lower left corner it fairly quickly, 10 seconds fell to 2 bars and stayed there, quickly going back to 5 bars when I took my hand away.

The good news then is that cases make a noticeable difference but in lower reception areas aren't enough to prevent no service.
  • Reply 137 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Just in case it wasn't linked to in the main article, AnandTech's review is good, as well as his other reviews (most recently the EVO 4G):
  • Reply 138 of 380
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Enjoy trying to call for help when you drop the call every time you touch your phone.

Let me take a wild guess.... You don't have an iPhone 4.
  • Reply 139 of 380
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    There are suddenly some vacant positions for antenna engineers at Apple. This whole antenna issue keeps on giving!
  • Reply 140 of 380
    Quote:

What a twit!! "I smoke and don't have cancer - therefore there is no such thing as cancer". Let me take a wild guess .... Democrat voter.

Here's a newflash for you .... cell phones are analog in nature, there is some level of signal that is required to defeat background noise and establish a signal. If you are in a high coverage area - you will find it almost impossible to block the signal. Use a metal coin, heck - weld the silly gap with gold. The strength of the signal will blast through loud and clear.

But, go for a hike, or drive your car away from the high signal areas, and get a flat tire. Enjoy trying to call for help when you drop the call every time you touch your phone. Not everyone lives and works next to a tower - and sooner or later you will travel to an area with poor coverage. Then you too will discover the joy of dropping calls, or losing service by simply touching the phone.

And when some idiot (hello Stevie) says "You are holding the phone wrong"; you will want to stick your phone in a very unhygenic place. All you have to do is touch the phone - or even lay it in your palm.

As another poster cleverly pointed out.... what an amazing coincidence that the first time that Apple has ever made a case for an iPhone, the case is the only product that makes their iPhone useable.

Democrat voter? You think that's an insult? It's so much more of an insult to be called a republican these days. I mean really, talk about being too stupid to know you're stupid.