AdMob: 57% of 44 million iOS devices are from outside the US

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

Conversely if you don't wish to read posts about AI being US centric; don't read it, don't reply to it. It's not that hard, is it?

I'd much rather call out posters who are acting irrationally.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I'm fine. Please, go cry about your third world home nit getting coverage somewhere else.

we don't shed tears on your country spotty 3G coverage, our network here is great. In terms of 3rd world, funny you mention that, it could well be your heritage and most of the people living there. Troll

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd much rather call out posters who are acting irrationally.

so do I, that's why I replied to you
  • Reply 23 of 41
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

we don't shed tears on your country spotty 3G coverage, our network here is great. In terms of 3rd world, funny you mention that, it could well be your heritage and most of the people living there. Troll

so do I, that's why I replied to you

My work doesn't rise and set on 3G coverage nor do I use it as a measuring stick for progress of a country. I guess if the U.S. was the size of a match box, ATT would have great coverage too. Troll
  • Reply 24 of 41
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

"Independent"

That reminds me of some issue about Apple's vested interests in its Developer agreement. What happened to that?

In all seriousness I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make, but to try and answer you ?

I wouldn't be interested in quattro wireless reporting on iOS share.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Congrats Symbian for your success where theres is no private cash available to pay for the mobile device!
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Considering that the US is largest market country for any one Apple product, Apple is a US-based company, and AI is run and operated in the US do you think that is feasible when so much of the news about Apple comes from the US? If you non-US news able Apple that would be relevant to the majority of their readers than go ahead and submit it, I'm sure they'd welcome the diversity.

As a shareholder I think it's about time Apple views themselves as a international company. And they are in many ways, including releasing iPhone 4 no only in US first.

Branding wise they may benefit from beeing a american company though.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

My work doesn't rise and set on 3G coverage nor do I use it as a measuring stick for progress of a country. I guess if the U.S. was the size of a match box, ATT would have great coverage too. Troll

you actually did that, mentioning 3rd world country and nit network coverage, don't tell me that not only you being of a 3rd world country heritage you now also have weak memory. Fact is AT&T network coverage is crap, your mates words not mine, while our network is great and highly advanced. Take that troll
  • Reply 28 of 41
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

Conversely if you don't wish to read posts about AI being US centric; don't read it, don't reply to it. It's not that hard, is it?

And if you don't wish to see US-centric articles about Apple-related products, don't read them, it's that simple.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

And if you don't wish to see US-centric articles about Apple-related products, don't read them, it's that simple.

it would help if you stop parroting other people's lines and offer some original thoughts
  • Reply 30 of 41
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

it would help if you stop parroting other people's lines and offer some original thoughts

1+1=2

Oh sorry, was that not original enough for sarge?

1+1=3

Better?
  • Reply 31 of 41
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

That's a typical reply from someone who has lost the argument.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I guess this is only logical, given that Apple sales globally should be on a steeper curve than the largely mature US market. The more the merrier!
  • Reply 33 of 41
    interesting stats for Oceania (which is mostly Aust & NZ).

91% iOS

3% Android

plus about 75% of iOS devices are iPhones.

This shows how dominant iPhone now is in Australia.

IMO the main reason why iPhones have gone so well in Aust is because all 4 carriers and all their resellers (ie Virgin Mobile) sell the iPhone and all compete heavily on price. Most contract plans have the handset at $0. 12 month contracts are also available which is good for apple's upgrade cycle.

Surely the wizards in Cupertino must look at sales in Australia and say "what if iPhone was available on all US carriers?"
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

Quote:

That's a typical reply from someone who has lost the argument.

the conversation was about AI being US centric on specific issue of American concern only (AT&T) and that was debated with a couple of people. you on the other hand had nothing to say on the subject other than parroting somebody else's lines. One couldn't say you lost the argument, because you never had one to begin with.

As said earlier, Apple is a global company with a global customer base, therefore AI needs to tone down US centric issue only, such as AT&T. Everything else is fine
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

1+1=2

Oh sorry, was that not original enough for sarge?

1+1=3

Better?

close but no cigar try harder next time,

at least you made an attempt at sarcasm, now watch your mate Trajectory cut & paste that as his reply
  • Reply 36 of 41
    minkyminky Posts: 2member
    Living in the third world (the UK) I get a little bored with the constant moan about AT&T, but simply a little bored - I come to the site to read about Apple not AT&T, but I can skip through quickly, as I do when avoiding Trolls

Now play nice
  • Reply 37 of 41
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    *shrugging* Just keep off the zone of ``marginal signal strength' ' .
  • Reply 38 of 41
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Well, I guess it would depend on your definition of "success" or popularity. If you are focused purely on raw unit sales numbers and market share, then I could see how you might have an issue with their statement.

If you define success or popularity as people actually using your device, I think AdMob's numbers could construe that for whatever reason, iPhone users tend to use their phones more and thus they are shown more ads.

If you define success or popularity as happy customers, Apple clearly leads all other mobile phone manufacturers.

If you define success as making money, Apple is clearly trouncing all others, much to Apple shareholder delight That probably doesn't make them to popular with their competitors, though.

So they may not be "successful" in raw numbers of units shipped, but in all other categories they are a clear leader and very successful and popular.

I was not disagreeing with the conclusion drawn from the AdMobs stats -- just how they arrived at them. I was simply trying to make the point that there could be (probably are IMHO) other factors that affect the stats such as the user demographics. I'm not sure there is a one to one correspondence between ad hits and user count or usage. Possibly I was being a bit too facetious when I suggested that being an Apple iOS user might imply a different group of user habits or browsing preferences from that of your typical RIM or Android user (if there is such a thing ). Apple has had a fairly long and successful marketing campaign based on the whole concept of "Thinking Differently".
  • Reply 39 of 41
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Living in a country which was once a penal colony of your third world country with whom we share a Queen and who let in the same amount of goals against Germany in the World Cup, I am surprised at how many iPhones we have here, not only that we also have a lot of Macs and MacBooks.

At least AI doesn't bombard us with stories about the latest Android pieces of junk that don't even work on our networks, iPhones do Droids don't, as far as Sprints claim of the Evo being "3 times faster", I can consistently get 3.5Mbps on a 3GS with peaks around 5.5Mbps on our third world network.

It looks like Google stands to lose a lot of mobile revenue if iAds take off, revenue that goes towards Android, it's ironic that iOS is AdMob's largest revenue stream.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minky View Post

Living in the third world (the UK) I get a little bored with the constant moan about AT&T, but simply a little bored - I come to the site to read about Apple not AT&T, but I can skip through quickly, as I do when avoiding Trolls

Now play nice

• Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Living in a country which was once a penal colony of your third world country with whom we share a Queen and who let in the same amount of goals against Germany in the World Cup, I am surprised at how many iPhones we have here, not only that we also have a lot of Macs and MacBooks.

At least AI doesn't bombard us with stories about the latest Android pieces of junk that don't even work on our networks, iPhones do Droids don't, as far as Sprints claim of the Evo being "3 times faster", I can consistently get 3.5Mbps on a 3GS with peaks around 5.5Mbps on our third world network.

It looks like Google stands to lose a lot of mobile revenue if iAds take off, revenue that goes towards Android, it's ironic that iOS is AdMob's largest revenue stream.

last time I was living in the penal colony, the iPhone was just being introduced so I can't comment how well iPhone works on Optus or Telstra networks. I do remember 3G coverage was spotty to say the least, outside main cities and fixed broadband frustrating. Sol "Bandido" Trujillo had interesting views on the country and I'm sure now is enjoying Tin Tin departure from government. So do I