Rumor: Apple has built, tested CDMA iPhone, but no Verizon deal yet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Actually, Verizon is leading the way in the US in terms of LTE deployment.

(And conceivably Sprint can switch to LTE in the future if WiMax doesn't work out - the next versions of each are hedging their bets in that direction in terms of compatibility.)

Nonetheless, CDMA for Apple would be a stopgap, albeit a potentially multi-billion-dollar-revenue stopgap.

Yes but LTE is an expensive deployment that's incompatible with their current systems. This is in stark contrast to to Bell and Telus up north, who transformed their entire network intro hybrid CDMA+HSPA as a cheaper transition stage and then later move into LTE.

Also: yay for being Canadian. Happy Canada Day. When's the iPhone 4 getting here?
  • Reply 22 of 68
    Motley Fool has this reason why Verizon is a "no".

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...u-verizon.aspx

"......it looks like Verizon is not on deck. This makes sense for technical reasons, which also remove Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) from the equation. The only other mobile network operating an iPhone-compatible 3G network over here is T-Mobile."
  • Reply 23 of 68
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    I gave in and ordered the Droid Incredible Monday. Shit!

I can return within 30 days of receiving it, which will be the end of July. Hoping for some confirmation before that.

If I thought the iPhone would come to Verizon this January, I would just hold onto my Dare until then.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    wprowewprowe Posts: 33member
    Given that both AT&T and Verizon should be well into their LTE deployment by 2012 when the AT&T exclusivity deal expires, how likely is it that there will be no VZ iPhone until LTE makes the same phone available on both networks?

When LTE does arrive, will the phone still have to provide fallback to 3G GSM and 2G EDGE on AT&T, and to 3G CDMA on VZ? I can foresee Apple really prefering to only have to manage one incarnation of the phone all around the world. The prevalence of CDMA seems much lower globally than GSM, which is why Apple chose GSM as their only radio spectrum in the beginning.

Given the movement to LTE all around the world, how much would it really benefit Apple at this point to deploy a CDMA compatible phone? It seems the lifespan of such a phone would be short, a year or two at the most. Perhaps Apple would be grateful for that because those customers would buy a new phone that is LTE compatible, thus driving up sales for Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Surely with the proven track record of success with the iPhone at AT&T, Apple is in a better position to extract tribute from virtually any cell provider they want... right? Seems like it's taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyahx View Post

Has no one seen this??

Well if you jailbreak the phone, you can write anything you want where the carrier name shows up. It's not hard to do. I could write PrimeCo if I wanted to. Granted that pic is of an i4, but I don't ever trust a pic like that. The only proof is when it's actually announced.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Apple moving to CDMA would be a very "unApple" move.

Apple prides itself on developing product that work and work in any situation.

Now, if Apple moved to CDMA features would work on the GSM phone while not working on the CDMA phone. Such an example would be talking and using data.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wprowe View Post

I can foresee Apple really prefering to only have to manage one incarnation of the phone all around the world.

Well, that certainly makes sense from the perspective of simplifying manufacturing and support, but Apple already has bifurcated their production when they offered a China-specific version of the iPhone. If the market and potential upside is big enough, the reason to adhere to a one-size-fits-all strategy starts to diminish in importance.

(In the long run, hopefully, worldwide cellular technologies will all converge --save for the different frequencies used which is why we have quad-band handsets-- and all this will become moot. But until then, there's money to be made...)
  • Reply 29 of 68
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

Has no one seen this??

anyone can jailbreak thier iPhone 4 and place whatever text they want instead of at&t. just a point I'm making
  • Reply 30 of 68
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'll see it when I believe it. However, if there is any kind of negotiations going on, I would bet my money that Verizon is still as arrogant as usual and is placing demands on Apple to cripple the phone in some fashion like it has with other phones in the past.

You mentioned in the past, but Verizon doesn't seem to do that anymore. I can't think of any new smartphone they have that is crippled. How you define crippled is up to you.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Motley Fool has this reason why Verizon is a "no".

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...u-verizon.aspx

"......it looks like Verizon is not on deck. This makes sense for technical reasons, which also remove Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) from the equation. The only other mobile network operating an iPhone-compatible 3G network over here is T-Mobile."

The 'technical reasons' are nonsense here; Apple was supposedly BFF with PowerPC for 'technical reasons' (at least in terms of the marketing messages at the time) until they weren't.

And Droid's anti-Apple marketing campaign, supposedly with Verizon's blessings, means nothing when a new deal is being made. Anyone who has followed Steve Jobs over the past few decades knows that he shrugs off yesterday's public corporate spats when there's a good reason to move ahead. Tech reporters love to play up the interpersonal drama between high-profile companies and CEOs, but they are still tech reporters, not CEOs themselves. Seasoned executives generally operate at a higher level than what filters down to tech blogs and rumor sites.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    I predict that someone will have some device in the future.

Now, I can be quoted in the future when this is true. Hahahaha
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I predict that someone will have some device in the future.

Now, I can be quoted in the future when this is true. Hahahaha

It is now the future and I will quote you on your uncommon prediction abilities. Good job.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    STFU ABOUT VERIZON!

Just NO.

~Callum
  • Reply 35 of 68
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    They most likely mean an LTE device that's backwards compatible with CDMA--it would need to be for use on Verizon's network. However, I'm not exactly sure Verizon is THAT interested in the iPhone in the first place. They've poured a lot of money into Android and anti-iPhone ads--it seems unlikely that they would be in pursuit of the iPhone given this.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsshapiro View Post

Could be for SPRINT as they are CDMA also. Though the 2012 exclusive deal with AT&T seems to again speculate all this is RUMOR! Plus there are other countries that are running CDMA as well so stop thinking small - Think GLOBALLY

VZ (VERIZON) is as stingy as AAPL (APPLE) - Vcast for music and iTunes for music respectively they both want the $$$$ from the downloads.

I am sure Steve and company are thinking Globally.

The problem is, the GSM market is growing rapidly and CDMA versions are shrinking rapidly.

http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/mar...ta_summary.htm

Worldwide Phones: 4,310,295,611

GSM: 3,450,410,548

CDMA2000 1X: 309,907,068

CDMA2000 1xEV-DO: 118,688,849

CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A : 12,644,062

WCDMA: 255,630,141

WCDMA HSPA: 133,286,097

What's Apple's motivation?
  • Reply 37 of 68
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

Has no one seen this??

You can jailbreak your phone and install a hack that would allow you to list any carrier i want.....
  • Reply 38 of 68
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What a great hammer to use in negotiations with AT&T. Whether you intend to deploy it or not; simply bringing a functional Verizon based iPhone to the meeting would certainly give you a VERY strong negotiating position.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I am sure Steve and company are thinking Globally.

The problem is, the GSM market is growing rapidly and CDMA versions are shrinking rapidly.

http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/mar...ta_summary.htm

Worldwide Phones: 4,310,295,611

GSM: 3,450,410,548

CDMA2000 1X: 309,907,068

CDMA2000 1xEV-DO: 118,688,849

CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A : 12,644,062

WCDMA: 255,630,141

WCDMA HSPA: 133,286,097

Apple's motivation? An additional addressable market of 860 million and a more than 10% increase in market cap. If Apple can sell to 2% of that market, that's over 17 million additional phones sold. To put that into perspective, at $600 a pop, that's $10.2B in extra revenue. At a 20% profit margin and a (very conservative) P/E of 16x, that's over $30B in market cap, or an additional ~$33 per share. (Btw, the CDMA 1x is heavily concentrated in countries that wealthier than the global average; that's nothing to scoff at either).

That said, I am not sure it will happen, but that's because of other reasons.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple's motivation? An additional addressable market of 860 million and a more than 10% increase in market cap. If Apple can sell to 2% of that market, that's over 17 million additional phones sold. To put that into perspective, at $600 a pop, that's $10.2B in extra revenue. At a 20% profit margin and a (very conservative) P/E of 16x, that's over $30B in market cap, or an additional ~$33 per share. (Btw, the CDMA 1x is heavily concentrated in countries that wealthier than the global average; that's nothing to scoff at either).

That said, I am not sure it will happen, but that's because of other reasons.

That market is shrinking. Japan's NTT DoCoMo which now owns part of Tata is deploying 30 million more GSM subscribers in India, moving away from CDMA technologies.

In another year and a half, even more of their market will be shrinking.

Apple can target 500 Million GSM and climbing subscribers in China and increase it's market share 5 fold.