Exclusive conversations with Steve Jobs up for sale

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    http://daringfireball.net/2010/07/ip...3g_performance

This is the kind of evidence I'm interested in, not emotional, ill-informed rants based on a 'bars' indicator that is about as reliable on any phone as the clock on your grandmother's old VCR.
  • Reply 62 of 117
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

This guy cries that everyone in the country is experiencing horrible iPhone 4 reception, and STEVE'S the arrogant tool?

I never said that. I only said that a large number of iPhone 4 users are experiencing antenna reception problems.
  • Reply 63 of 117
    Why do I even bother with MR... this place actually has level headed people.

As soon as I saw these emails I thought it was a little odd, then I find out he shopped them around?

Also whoever mentioned the past twenty years of apple purchases and then calling it a MAC, I completely agree there is no way this guy is actually an apple user writing MAC.
  • Reply 64 of 117
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    If you are having reception issues then file a complaint with the FCC: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Chose "Wireless Telephones", then "Deceptive or Unlawful Advertising" then click on "Online Form" in the yellow box.

Simplicity! Pass it along.
  • Reply 65 of 117
    galoregalore Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

and the poor build quality just hurts Apple in the long run. I mean undried glue, blotched screens, extreme fragility, defective antennas?

Poor build quality?!?!? iPhone4????

Have you EVER held one in your hands???
  • Reply 66 of 117
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    This article is next to impossible to make sense of. There are so many spelling and grammar errors it's like a third graders book report! C'mon AI, use a freakin' spell check or hire a proofreader.
  • Reply 67 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I would hardly categorize the iPhone 4 as having "poor build quality". The "undried glue" and "blotched screens" were one and the same and they have largely disappeared. Yes, the phone is fragile due to the nature of it's design (glass front and back) but that hardly qualifies as "poor build quality". Lastly, the antenna itself isn't defective, but the fact that it comes in direct contact with the users hand which can have an adverse effect on reception is an issue. When I hold my phone in my right hand, my pinky ends up about a half inch above the lower left seam. As a result, holding the phone "normally" causes no problems for me. However, I will agree with you that Apple should, at this point, be a little bit more supportive of those folks who are having significant issues. What that would entail, I could only guess, but I imagine we'll find out soon enough.

Folks should read Andy Ihnatko's review that goes into depth about the quality of the iPhone 4's build. Its far from 'fragile'. Deserving of respect, but hardly fragile, particularly if you protect it as you should.

FWIW, I just got the bumper case, and I REALLY like it. Didn't think I would.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...062810.article
  • Reply 68 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

I never said that. I only said that a large number of iPhone 4 users are experiencing antenna reception problems.

I was referring to the subject of the article, not you.

"The whole country is is in a 'low signal strength' in reality? all but apple campus and your house it seems?"
  • Reply 69 of 117
    AppleInsider waits on this story which hit at about 9AM, and now publishes it, but with old information.

Jobs didn't actually say "Just a phone."

Good job Dilger.
  • Reply 70 of 117
    From BGR:

"UPDATE: The last line in the email exchange was actually not said by Mr. Jobs; rather it was by ?Tom.? We corrected it as soon as we were made aware."
  • Reply 71 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What's that got to do with anything?

I'm not sure there's an answer to that.
  • Reply 72 of 117
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

From BGR:

"UPDATE: The last line in the email exchange was actually not said by Mr. Jobs; rather it was by ?Tom.? We corrected it as soon as we were made aware."

If Boy Genius Report supposedly verified all these emails for their authenticity how could they get such an important detail wrong? This kind of an error makes me question everything about this story. Makes the retire comment make more sense though. From his info Tom is in his early 30's.
  • Reply 73 of 117
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

Why do people brush this aside? You have to have some technical reason to return the phone without paying a significant restocking fee, and Apple doesn't consider this widespread defect to be one. Thats just absurd.

I know a couple people with iPhone 4s and all of them can demonstrate this defect. In fact one of them received a call, it dropped, and commented "oh, I forgot I had my hand on it wrong." How can you deal with that? I can't risk critical calls being dropped because I held the phone wrong!

Whats worse is that people are blowing this problem off like it can be fixed with a software update. How can you fix a fundamental design flaw with a software update? Its just making people hold off on returning the defective phone in false hopes of some magical software update saving the day.

Apple has always been design first, engineer later. Normally it pays off, this time it went horribly wrong. Apple set a thickness and built the phone around that, rather than establishing what would work and building on top of it. This is why the normal air gap between the antenna and the case protecting the antenna is not there.

I think Apple needs to tap into that $billions of cash and redesign the iPhone 4 for a revision. The entire thing was rushed, and the poor build quality just hurts Apple in the long run. I mean undried glue, blotched screens, extreme fragility, defective antennas? Its a disaster. It wont hurt iPhone 4 sales in the short term, but Apple should at least assure people it plans on doing something to correct this issue.

Is this your personal experience. I have seen at least 20 examples of people having the fee waived for this reason and not a single instance of someone saying it was refused. Have you tried to return a phone and had it refused? Did you explain why and have them still charge you a fee? Of course not.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    As much as I haven't enjoyed the flaccid response from Apple regarding the very real antennae issue(s) (see the quantitative Anandtech testing), this guy certainly takes the cake. I'm shocked that SJ would continue to engage him in conversation. Sad.
  • Reply 75 of 117
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    What's with linking the story of an iPhone 4 owner emailing Jobs with the hit on Tate which is old news?

Classic DED. Anything to slam somebody critical of Apple, even if it's not relevant to the topic at hand.
  • Reply 76 of 117
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think what would calm down some people A LOT, is if Apple would officially acknowledged the more serious problem that some folks seem to be having with the signal degradation and eventual dropped calls just by holding their phones the same way they've been holding them for years.

Now that a class action lawsuit has been filed that is NOT going to, and indeed CANNOT happen. You have the screaming psychos who ran to the lawyers to thank for this. Now that the lawyers are involved you won't hear a single peep more from Apple about the issue. All you'll get from Apple from now on is the boilerplate "We don't comment about pending litigation" response to any questions about the reception issue.

Now that the lawyers are in this calming down becomes impossible. Both sides have to protect their positions from a legal standpoint. Apple will now NEVER officially admit the problem. And any fix or solution released by Apple will immediately be rejected by the plaintiffs as insufficient. Class action lawsuits are rarely withdrawn, sometimes dismissed, but ultimately settled before any real process takes place. All they do is put a muzzle on all parties concerned and freeze their positions in place.

So you can forget about any acknowledgment or apology from Apple going forward.
  • Reply 77 of 117
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

As much as I haven't enjoyed the flaccid response from Apple regarding the very real antennae issue(s) (see the quantitative Anandtech testing), this guy certainly takes the cake. I'm shocked that SJ would continue to engage him in conversation. Sad.

I guess we read different articles.

while they were very negative on Apple for some of their design decisions RE the antennas, the did have to adimit,

"The Antenna is Improved <-(That's the heading they had on this section)

From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use."
  • Reply 78 of 117
    I haven't even received my pre-order, and people are already filing lawsuits?

jesus christ!
  • Reply 79 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It seems you have it backward. The people reporting reception problems are rationally motivated. They've just signed a multi-thousand dollar contract only to discover that the phone gets horrible reception. Other than the reception problem, the phone is awesome. I suspect most will get a case or are waiting to see if the problem will be addressed by apple.

On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of people here who are refusing to believe that this is a real problem despite the problem being easily reproducible by vast numbers of people spread across an entire continent.

Many of the people experiencing the problem, including myself, are people who are otherwise quite satisfied with apple. I love apple products. But the new iPhone does have reception problems. But here you are telling us to "shut the fuck up"?

Stop for a second and think. Is it my level-headed response that constitutes whining? Or is it your complaining and demand to "shut the fuck up" that should be considered whining?

Come on people, these are devoted apple followers that are experiencing and reporting reception issues. Sure, there are trolls mixed in as well, but the problem is still quite real.

What I'm sick of seeing is clowns like this that feel by emailing Steve Jobs directly, they somehow think they are going to get something extra out of it for their e "inconvienience". It's obvious he was aware of the issues with reception prior to buying it. So now he's essentially extorting Steve Jobs by wanting to sell his email. These are the people I want to STFU. Not the people who have had legitimate issues, and have gone through the proper channels (I mean really, Apple makes it easy). Hold times on the phone are like 5 minutes. I'll bet he didn't bother with that, he's looking for "hush money"
  • Reply 80 of 117
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Selling private e-mail exchanges is pretty dodgy to begin with, but I too felt the real blow to the credibility of this exchange was the "MAC" mistake. Nobody with even half an interest in Apple would spell "Mac" in all-caps, owing not only to the fact it's moronically incorrect but also the fact that "MAC" has its own, very important, meaning in the tech world.

Anyway, as for the issue at hand...I do agree that everyone needs to chill the heck out. It's a problem, sure, and people have a right to be upset, but jeez...Tone down the rhetoric a bit guys. For all we know a solution from Apple is inbound as we speak. One week is hardly a fair timeframe to give them to look at and solve such a potentially complex issue.

The issue hasn't put me off buying my iPhone 4 later in the summer. If I have to move my pinkie slightly, I'll get over it. I don't use my iPhone to talk much anyway. Texts and Data are what matter. Fact is, I need to switch the 3GS for a 4 for one fairly trivial reason...I am about out of patience with no flash. I've been okay with it, but frankly now it's just annoying. Can't take a damn photo unless there's fricking floodlighting.