Apple says Steve Jobs' email replies on iPhone 4 reception were faked

Comments

• Reply 41 of 145
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

I swear on a stack of Bibles, cross my heart hope to die, and I have the email headers to prove it. He said:

"Gooch, my good friend, don't worry. Hold your iPhone 4, which comes with iOS 4, the proper way, dude. It's the best phone we've ever made. I'll send you a couple more free of charge."

I love this... haha. and this is why its RUMOR WEBSITE. just because someone said it doesnt make it true
  • Reply 42 of 145
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Now Steve should start sending ACTUAL emails that are totally off-the-wall scary nuts, just for fun because nobody will believe it

Thanks for that one, these boards have been devoid of any sense of humor this week.
  • Reply 43 of 145
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No,he's perfectly correct. FOX won the right to lie, in court. Actual case in Florida

He was just pointing to a particularly egregious example of how ALL media outlets will lie. Some do it to improve ratings, some do it to influence elections. No need to make this a political fight.

Regardless, its despicable and its an unfortunate reality if we are to keep the 1st Amendment around.
  • Reply 44 of 145
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I thought the exact same thing. However, with all the bad PR and lawsuits arising because of this, I have to believe that they are, in fact, working on it.

At least, as an owner of an iPhone 4 that can't be held but one way, I truly hope they are...

you know, all you have to do is put a clear piece of tape between that seam and your problem is solved.*

or get yourself a bumper. if i get an iphone, i will get a bumper anyway because of the edge-to-edge glass making me queasy.
  • Reply 45 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I look forward to the day when internet journalism matures and becomes a worthy replacement for paper based journalism. It takes time for the cream to rise to the top, and for this new industry to police itself, and for consumers to demand better. If you look at newspapers in the 19th century you'll see much of what you see on websites and blogs today. Rumors published as fact, personal attacks of the most vicious kind, boosterism, payoffs, you name it. In short, Yellow Journalism. Someday there'll be a "website of record," a place where they pride themselves on accuracy, fairness, and neutrality. Where stories are vetted, edited, and rigorously fact checked before posting for all to see.

A guy can dream, can't he?

Low barriers to entry just means that the public (and other blogs which circulate the stories as well) need to do their own vetting. We all have memories. Next time, we'll just have to remember to doubt the credibility of the next BGR.
  • Reply 46 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

you know, all you have to do is put a clear piece of tape between that seam and your problem is solved.*

or get yourself a bumper. if i get an iphone, i will get a bumper anyway because of the edge-to-edge glass making me queasy.

Or, the antenna can be insulated from the factory in a way that isn't super ghetto.
  • Reply 47 of 145
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Also, one of the bogus Jobs quotes was something to the effect that "we are working on it".

That is now out the window.

Not at all. it just means, as is typical of Apple, they haven't and likely won't comment on it until there's something to say/release.

Anyone that has spent time with Apple knows that they don't advance talk. They don't release conjecture and try not to release half ass might fix its.

The phone has been out for a week. they are gathering data. it's not all that conclusive at the moment a number of the reports also say things like "but my reception has always sucked" or "the bars go down but i can make calls and stuff just fine" etc. So pining down the issue could be a little harder.
  • Reply 48 of 145
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

Was this so called apple spokesperson with jobs when this was supposed to have happened.

Every comment is something jobs would say, and of course the apple spin machine is going to once again make this the publics fault.

I repeat, it is time for jobs to go, he is hurting apple in the worst way.

That is the dumbest comment I've ever heard, bar none. The PR person, likely, was asked, "Did Steve write those e-mails?" PR was asked by Fortune, which is actually a reputable news organization, and they do fact-check. BGR could have done the same, you know? The PR guy/woman went to Jobs. Jobs told her no. Why on earth would he lie? I've enjoyed the late night emails from the CEO, but I've been wondering when some idiot would fake it. Well, somebody did. Time for BGR to name that person, and sue for their money back if they did pay. (Reputable news organizations do not, because it creates an inducement for fraud. Which is what happened here.)

Hurting Apple in the worst way? You pipsqueak, they just sold 1.7 million iPhones in 3 days. Read AnandTech for an actual facts about the "flaw," and how minor it actually is. There is something happening in this period, though. There are lots of strange characters trying to spread hysteria and damage Apple's reputation. Sort of smells like Gizmodo types and Android zealots.
  • Reply 49 of 145
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

I swear on a stack of Bibles, cross my heart hope to die, and I have the email headers to prove it. He said:

"Gooch, my good friend, don't worry. Hold your iPhone 4, which comes with iOS 4, the proper way, dude. It's the best phone we've ever made. I'll send you a couple more free of charge."

Oh, no, my brother. You must get your own.
  • Reply 50 of 145
    Quote:

Check 1stkorean's other posts. His Troll credentials are quite in order. The only good thing is that there have been relatively few of them . . . so far. Can we just build a virtual fence around him?

it's called the ignore list. use it and stop replying or quoting said alleged troll. Cause remember, trolls by their nature want attention. and even say "shut up your troll" is attention.

if everyone ignore lists the trolls and stops replying to them then it doesn't matter what they do cause they are behind a nice sound proof wall.
  • Reply 51 of 145
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I hope they were faked. The comments were unprofessional and a deviated from apple as I experience it. (actually the first three I could see steve writing in bad mood, but fourth one I guess was clearly fruad. Steve was way to exited about the phone to call it just a phone)
  • Reply 52 of 145
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:

I look forward to the day when internet journalism matures and becomes a worthy replacement for paper based journalism. It takes time for the cream to rise to the top, and for this new industry to police itself, and for consumers to demand better. If you look at newspapers in the 19th century you'll see much of what you see on websites and blogs today. Rumors published as fact, personal attacks of the most vicious kind, boosterism, payoffs, you name it. In short, Yellow Journalism. Someday there'll be a "website of record," a place where they pride themselves on accuracy, fairness, and neutrality. Where stories are vetted, edited, and rigorously fact checked before posting for all to see.

Robin, methinks you give print journalism too much credit. Bloggers are easier to expose because there are just so many more posts than there are newspaper or magazine articles.
  • Reply 53 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

That is the dumbest comment I've ever heard, bar none. The PR person, likely, was asked, "Did Steve write those e-mails?" PR was asked by Fortune,

Are we so sure they were asked by Fortune. And not that Steve didn't pick up the phone, call the PR office downstairs and tell them "I did NOT write any such emails, particularly these 4 going around. Find a reputable source and notify them right away" and that's what they did.
  • Reply 54 of 145
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Are we so sure they were asked by Fortune. And not that Steve didn't pick up the phone, call the PR office downstairs and tell them "I did NOT write any such emails, particularly these 4 going around. Find a reputable source and notify them right away" and that's what they did.

Does it matter? It?s an official statement since the PR person went on the record. You can?t get much better than that as far as things go. Apple can be held to that statement if they were sued or it was ever part of a lawsuit - like the one that was filed this morning!
  • Reply 55 of 145
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Yes, and he can also have his dreams crushed like an ant under a steamroller.

You're right about the newspapers of 19th century, and even well into the 20th. For the most part, they were nakedly partisan and would routinely print political and personal hit pieces that would make even today's devotees of FOX cringe.

I don't see us ever getting to the point where the net is edited and vetted for fairness and accuracy. Some online news sources already do a good job -- but who reads them? I'm afraid the noise will always overwhelm the signal.
  • Reply 56 of 145
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

He was just pointing to a particularly egregious example of how ALL media outlets will lie. Some do it to improve ratings, some do it to influence elections. No need to make this a political fight.

Regardless, its despicable and its an unfortunate reality if we are to keep the 1st Amendment around.

Some media outlets make mistakes. Others make stuff up as a matter of policy.
  • Reply 57 of 145
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Apple execs say a lot of things... much of it readily disregardable - \
  • Reply 58 of 145
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple execs say a lot of things... much of it readily disregardable - \

much like many who post here at times then?
  • Reply 59 of 145
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Not surprising. The first message is the only one I could see Jobs saying.

As to trying to get money for access to an Email written by Steve.... what is this world coming to.
  • Reply 60 of 145
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

Mister Snitch, you need to learn to spit, and stop swallowing all the stuff jobs and apple is feeding you, swallowing is dangerous you know!.

SpotOn is that you? We don't usually see such a string of nasty comments out of new members. And the ones that do come in as intentional WinLinTrolls usually do it by starting threads, not jumping in this way.

And if it isn't a SpotOn alias: Lighten up, Francis!