Apple gives one business free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though it has not given away protective cases to the masses to alleviate reception issues with the iPhone 4, Apple did attempt to appease one small New York business owner with five free $30 bumpers, AppleInsider has learned.

The business owner, who asked not to be named, said they are a longtime Apple customer that has supplied iPhones to their employees since the device was first released in 2007. Every year since, they have upgraded to Apple's latest handset.

But when they were among the first to receive their five iPhone 4s a day early last week, it was readily apparent something was wrong with the phones: Just touching the bottom left of the phone would cause a call to drop within 10 seconds.

"Literally, we live in an area where we get five bars," they said. "You can almost see a line-of-site cell tower. But if you literally just touch the black line (in the bottom left of the iPhone 4), you lose a call."

They soon contacted Apple to find out if they had a faulty batch of phones. At the time, the company's representatives were not yet aware of any issues with the device.

The business owner spoke with an entry Apple representative, and then they were transferred to an expert with Apple technical support. A representative even admitted that they, too, were experiencing reception issues when gripping their own, personal iPhone 4 on the left side.

An Apple employee last Thursday, June 24, requested that the business owner send videos of the issue so they could see what was happening. They even wanted to have all five phones brought in to a local retail store so the company could see it in person.

But by the end of launch day, a senior iPhone support representative informed them that all iPhone 4 hardware was experiencing the same problem. That Apple employee then offered free bumpers for their troubles.

Last week, Apple issued a formal statement in which the company said that using a case, such as Apple's $30 protective bumpers, can lessen the reception issue. The problem occurs when a user's bare skin bridges the two antennas found on the metal perimeter of the device.

Then, on Friday, Apple wrote an open letter to iPhone 4 users, in which the company repeated its stance that holding any phone will result in some lost reception. But it also said that the formula used to calculate bars of signal strength on the iPhone 4 is inaccurate, and will be corrected in the coming weeks with a free software fix.

One in-depth look at the iPhone this week found that cupping the iPhone 4 tightly can result in a loss of 24.6 dB of signal. The effect can be lessened with an exterior case, that prevents one's hand from acting as a conducting agent between the phone's antennas.

Some have even suggested that Apple may give away bumpers to address the issue, though one alleged internal AppleCare employee memo specifically stated that the company is not "appeasing customers with free bumpers." While that may be the official policy now, it was not last week, when Apple promised the small business owner in New York that they would receive some for free. That person has received their order confirmation, and the black-color cases currently have a wait of 5 to 7 days before they ship.

And despite their unhappiness with the reception on the iPhone 4, they said Apple's customer service was kind and helpful, and they plan to continue doing business with the Cupertino, Calif., company.

"Apple is a great company," they said. "We've always liked Apple."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Ugh! Bad move, Apple. Now that gets added to the court case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An Apple employee last Thursday, June 24, requested that the business owner send videos of the issue so they could see what was happening. They even wanted to have all five phones brought in to a local retail store so the company could see it in person.

This shows an Apple employee don't disclosing they were aware of the issue last Thursday which destroys the conspiracy theorist claim that Apple built the Bumpers specifically to deal with this issue. Though I suppose Apple didn't tell their trusted employees about this or this employee was being coy and going the extra mile by having the customer send in video of this issue. Sneaky¡

Quote:

But by the end of launch day, a senior iPhone support representative informed them that all iPhone 4 hardware was experiencing the same problem. That Apple employee then offered free bumpers for their troubles.

This is the closest we've come to this affecting all iPhone 4s, but that could simply be an acknowledgement of the signal bars representation sensitivity issue.
  • Reply 2 of 108
    Where the FAAAAACK is my bumper for free?! I have a family of four and we had to pay for our bumpers to fix the reception issue. This dude had a business of 5? Come on Apple. Get it together.

EDIT:

This is what I think on the issue.

Apple says that all phones do this. Yes, I agree. My 3Gs did it too. They say that it is a software issue because the bars don't correctly resemble your real signal strength. That's fine. So, if that is the case, why would a bumper fix it? It isn't that you are COVERING the area, it is that you are touching the metal in that one specific spot. The bumper allows you to keep your kung fu death grip and not lose signal. That says that it isn't software but design issues. I think personally that Apple figured this out too late and decided to magically start making Bumpers that magically fix the problem. When has Apple ever made iPhone covers in the last 3 years. Never. And now they start making them when the iPhone has serious issues that these magic bumpers seem to fix. Come on. Really? If the software issue was true and my 3Gs did it too, why would my iphone 4 be soooooo much worse than it? If my finger on my RIGHT hand slightly slides down the phone and hits that spot....blam! call dropped.

I ordered my bumper not because I wanted to, but because I want to stopped dropping calls and there aren't any better cases out there yet.

I want a freaking refund.

Oh, and FIX THE DAMN PROXIMITY SENSOR PROBLEMS TOO!!!! I am sick of muting, holding, ending, etc calls with my ear!!!

I have been a dedicated Fanboy for years. But this is starting to piss me off. I spent a lot of money on these phones.
  • Reply 3 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Where the FAAAAACK is my bumper for free?! I have a family of four and we had to pay for our bumpers to fix the reception issue. This dude had a business of 5? Come on Apple. Get it together.

This is exactly why they told their employees not to give them out.

Once one guy gets one, everyone will demand one.
  • Reply 4 of 108
    iancass79iancass79 Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

I agree. but read my edit. I don't think Apple is being truthful.
  • Reply 5 of 108
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Apple says that all phones do this. Yes, I agree. My 3Gs did it too. They say that it is a software issue because the bars don't correctly resemble your real signal strength. That's fine. So, if that is the case, why would a bumper fix it? It isn't that you are COVERING the area, it is that you are touching the metal in that one specific spot. The bumper allows you to keep your kung fu death grip and not lose signal. That says that it isn't software but design issues. I think personally that Apple figured this out too late and decided to magically start making Bumpers that magically fix the problem. When has Apple ever made iPhone covers in the last 3 years. Never. And now they start making them when the iPhone has serious issues that these magic bumpers seem to fix. Come on. Really? If the software issue was true and my 3Gs did it too, why would my iphone 4 be soooooo much worse that it? If my finger on my RIGHT hand slightly slides down the phone and hits that spot....blam! call dropped.

I ordered my bumper not because I wanted to, but because I want to stopped dropping calls and there aren't any better cases out there yet.

Oh, and FIX THE DAMN PROXIMITY SENSOR PROBLEMS TOO!!!! I am sick of muting, holding, ending, etc calls with my ear!!!

I have been a dedicated Fanboy for years. But this is starting to piss me off. I spent a lot of money on these phones.

Jeez dude... you sound like someone killed your dog.
  • Reply 6 of 108
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    and a call went out across the land

free the bumpers

free the bumpers

• Reply 7 of 108
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Thanks for watching out for Apple. That'll help them save money!
  • Reply 8 of 108
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    My gut feeling is that at the end of the day, Apple will identify a manufacturer of an inexpensive edge case that they will make available to anyone who asks.

It won't be fashionista level, but will do the job and cost very little to distribute to anyone who wants one.

They will not give out the official Apple case, because that is NOT a cheapo device. If they need to give out something, it will be one aimed at functionality, not style.
  • Reply 9 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

You are entitled to your opinion!
  • Reply 10 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

What's stopping you?

Quote:

I don't think Apple is being truthful.

Where did they lie? Note, there is a reason why the statement, "The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" exists. PR isn't designed to say the whole truth (I don't they even know it), they aren't designed to say nothing but the truth (they are designed to smooth relations), but they do have to tell the truth or they are liable.
  • Reply 11 of 108
    Quote:

My gut feeling is that at the end of the day, Apple will identify a manufacturer of an inexpensive edge case that they will make available to anyone who asks.

It won't be fashionista level, but will do the job and cost very little to distribute to anyone who wants one.

They will not give out the official Apple case, because that is NOT a cheapo device. If they need to give out something, it will be one aimed at functionality, not style.

Wish Apple said the same! (Not that I agree with the "fashionability" of the Apple bumper, it sucks in my opinon. It undermines all the great work Jonathan Ive, the style guru, put in).
  • Reply 12 of 108
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

EDIT:

Apple says that all phones do this. Yes, I agree. My 3Gs did it too. They say that it is a software issue because the bars don't correctly resemble your real signal strength. That's fine. So, if that is the case, why would a bumper fix it? It isn't that you are COVERING the area, it is that you are touching the metal in that one specific spot. The bumper allows you to keep your kung fu death grip and not lose signal. That says that it isn't software but design issues. I think personally that Apple figured this out too late and decided to magically start making Bumpers that magically fix the problem. When has Apple ever made iPhone covers in the last 3 years. Never. And now they start making them when the iPhone has serious issues that these magic bumpers seem to fix. Come on. Really? If the software issue was true and my 3Gs did it too, why would my iphone 4 be soooooo much worse than it? If my finger on my RIGHT hand slightly slides down the phone and hits that spot....blam! call dropped.

A bumper would fix it. A larger phone (essentially the bumper is built in) would also fix it—but that’s not something people want, either. Ditto for a big antenna sticking out the top, 80s-style: it may work, but people want compact. (I know I do.) And this effect is only important in certain situations, not worth making the phone bigger for everyone.

Apple has always been nice about bending the rules sometimes and offering you more than they have to. They gave me a bigger HD in my PowerBook once, for instance, at no charge. But any time a rule is bent, by definition, other people didn’t get that benefit. I can sympathize with the frustration of hearing about someone else getting something you didn’t. Did you ask and were turned down, or did you not think to ask? Either way—frustrating, but that’s life. You might consider calling Apple to ask for a refund on the bumpers, if the only reason you got them is because you couldn’t reliably make calls without them. (And if you’re in an area where coverage is THAT bad, then I sympathize with that too! For most people, the signal-loss is non-critical, and of concern in theory much more than in practice.)

Re software issue: Apple isn’t saying the signal loss is a software issue—it’s real and they acknowledge that (like all phones). The iPhone’s antenna design can even make the problem worse—but at the same time, the iPhone 4 gets much better reception overall, so I’ll still prefer the new design antenna! The software issue is the bar graph, which is making the physical problem seem BIGGER than it is. Making people think holding their phone is destroying reception when it’s only harming it a little. This is a real software problem, noted by Anandtech’s review long before Apple ever made this announcement (they noted it all the way back to the first iPhone). So it’s a software issue that should indeed be fixed. The bargraph will then be more accurate.

I definitely hope a software fix comes for the poxy sensor issue (that will bug me too when me iPhone 4 arrives). And I hope that you remember the 30 day deadline for returning your phone to Apple! You CAN get a refund, and you won’t have to bend any rules to get it You might need to try Verizon unfortunately, since it sounds like your AT&T coverage is near worthless. I’m lucky in my city. But there’s hope: the iPhone may come to Verizon in the next year, and then you’ll have another option.

If, on the other hand, you CAN make calls without a bumper, then maybe you’re a victim of the software problem: making you think something is seriously wrong when in fact the effect is minor. How often are those dropped calls? (The effect all depends how good the signal is where you live/travel. In a bad area, a small signal loss can be a killer, no doubt.)
  • Reply 13 of 108
    Quote:

Lol, sorry! Just fired up cause I am having serious problems and never did with any of the previous iPhones. I am away from home all of the time so my phone is pretty important. Sucks when you start having such serious issues.

Maybe I should hire Lassie to carry paper messages here and there? Lol.
  • Reply 14 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

free the bumpers

free the bumpers

I think that would be the next move. They are letting people get used to the idea that it is an inherent flaw but everything else is so cool no one wants to give it up. They will likely send everyone a black or white bumper depending on the color they purchased. I personally like it naked and will buy one despite the antenna issues since I'm in a strong signal location. I am waiting for the proximity sensor issue to get sorted out which is likely fix in software, then I'm ready to buy one.
  • Reply 15 of 108
    After the $200 price drop on the original iPhone, there was such an out cry and bad publicity that Apple was forced to issue a $200 credit to all iPhone purchasers.

Again Apple needs to "do the right thing" and issue a $30 credit to all iPhone purchasers to cover the cost of purchasing a ($1) Apple bumper or a 3rd party case.

Regardless of what the iPhones software is reporting, the fact of the matter is that the faulty hardware design of the unit NECESSITATES the use of a bumper or case. The new hardware design is FAR MORE PRONE to signal attenuation than previous or competing designs. It is great that the iPhone 4 has a better antenna design. It is unfortunate that it is INCOMPATIBLE with human hands.
  • Reply 16 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What's stopping you?

Where did they lie? Note, there is a reason why the statement, "The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" exists. PR isn't designed to say the whole truth (I don't they even know it), they aren't designed to say nothing but the truth (they are designed to smooth relations), but they do have to tell the truth or they are liable.

I agree but don't get me wrong, sure the software BS is true, but how will that fix the dropped calls that are ever so increased on the iPhone 4. Just because my bars are more reliable the problem will fix. No. You can't say that will fix the issue when the 3Gs that had similar problems isn't nearly as bad as the iPhone 4.

I want to love this phone, but when it comes down to it, it needs to be a reliable phone like the previous iPhones were for me.
  • Reply 17 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

A bumper would fix it. A larger phone (essentially the bumper is built in) would also fix it?but that?s not something people want, either. Ditto for a big antenna sticking out the top, 80s-style: it may work, but people want compact. (I know I do.) And this effect is only important in certain situations, not worth making the phone bigger for everyone.

Apple has always been nice about bending the rules sometimes and offering you more than they have to. They gave me a bigger HD in my PowerBook once, for instance, at no charge. But any time a rule is bent, by definition, other people didn?t get that benefit. I can sympathize with the frustration. You might consider calling Apple to ask for a refund, if the only reason you got bumpers is because you couldn?t make calls without them. (And if you?re in an area where coverage is that bad, then I sympathize with that too! For most people, then signal-loss is non-critical.)

I hope a software fix comes for the poxy sensor issue (that will bug me too when me iPhone 4 arrives). And I hope that you remember the 30 day deadline for returning your phone to Apple! You CAN get a refund, and you won?t have to bend any rules to get it You might need to try Verizon unfortunately, since it sounds like your AT&T coverage is near worthless. I?m lucky in my city. But there?s hope: the iPhone may come to Verizon in the next year, and then you?ll have another option.

Keep in mind that if you break the plastic, there is a 10% restock fee. That ain't cheap. I sold my other iPhones just like I did the previous years. There is no going back without spending more loads of money. I am going to stick it out to see what happens. If the bumper fixes it, so be it. If the sensor gets fixed that would be fantastic. If not, then I am stuck with a bumper until a cooler case comes out and people constantly asking me "are you there" until I realize I muted them.

Just sucks to start having problems like this on a 4th gen device.

Might have flown off the handle a bit at first. Sorry everyone.
  • Reply 18 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

After the $200 price drop on the original iPhone, there was such an out cry and bad publicity that Apple was forced to issue a $200 credit to all iPhone purchasers.

Again Apple needs to "do the right thing" and issue a $30 credit to all iPhone purchasers to cover the cost of purchasing a ($1) Apple bumper or a 3rd party case.

Regardless of what the iPhones software is reporting, the fact of the matter is that the faulty hardware design of the unit NECESSITATES the use of a bumper or case. The new hardware design is FAR MORE PRONE to signal attenuation than previous or competing designs. It is great that the iPhone 4 has a better antenna design. It is unfortunate that it is INCOMPATIBLE with human hands.

I wouldn't even mind a partial refund. But, like you said, they are making a killing off the Bumpers. Things get marked up so much. I would give 10-15$ for them and not have been so upset.
  • Reply 19 of 108
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Apple is the dude lying in bed saying, "It happens to all men." Tech blogs are the chick next to him saying, "I know, it's ok"

This is my favorite quote about the matter so far.
  • Reply 20 of 108
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Apple says that all phones do this. Yes, I agree. My 3Gs did it too. They say that it is a software issue because the bars don't correctly resemble your real signal strength. That's fine.

That comment is a direct response to all the folks saying "I touch it and the bars go down" believing that they are losing reception. When in many cases they are not. They are either calling during a busy time for the nearest tower (which the bars dont have anything to do with) or you just generally have shit reception.

Quote:

So, if that is the case, why would a bumper fix it? It isn't that you are COVERING the area, it is that you are touching the metal in that one specific spot.

The bumper allows you to keep your kung fu death grip and not lose signal. That says that it isn't software but design issues.

or perhaps it is neither and it's that folks insist on trying to squeeze the phone to death when they hold it. Putting on a case is a placebo for many cause they kung fu grip the 'slick' phone out of fear they will drop it. With a case on, they have some 'grip' on the surface and can ease up on the squeeze

As for the policy I can see why they don't want to do it. If you just start slapping bumpers on phones for everyone that says anything about having low bars or shit reception you will miss some phones that really are defective. And then it gets out that the bumpers don't really do anything and Apple was conning everyone to avoid fixing the problem.

Quote:

I think personally that Apple figured this out too late and decided to magically start making Bumpers that magically fix the problem. When has Apple ever made iPhone covers in the last 3 years. Never.

when have they made a phone with glass that is much stronger than any previous cases to the point that they feel that all you might need is a little something around the sides to smooth off the edges etc.

And if the bumper was the cure for some major flaw, why didn't they put one in the box and thus encourage folks by having it there, to use it and thus no one would know about this issue at all

Quote:

If the software issue was true and my 3Gs did it too, why would my iphone 4 be soooooo much worse than it? If my finger on my RIGHT hand slightly slides down the phone and hits that spot....blam! call dropped.

Because the sweet spot was in a different place on the previous phones.

Quote:

take the case and the receipt back to the store and get your refund. Mind you, they will keep the case also.

In fact, since you are having such lousy receptions, why don't you just transfer your number to a new phone and return it also. Wait until Apple admits there is a major design flaw (in perhaps 1% of the phones they made) and fixes it and buy an iphone 4 then.

Quote:

Curiosity. When you set up your new iphone 4 did you do it using a back up of your old phone, rather than setting it up new. Cause all the sensor reports I've seen that is what they did and when they restored, set it up as new etc, no more problems.