Apple gives one business free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Mass boycott over an amazingly great product with one small flaw (and what product doesn’t have any?) is asking too much of people.

Small flaw? It's Apple we're talking about, and it's a mobile photo with data capabilities. Behind the scenes Steve is howling like a wolf. I guarantee it. It's not a small flaw. It's a major flaw. But yes, even that is asking too much.
  • Reply 62 of 108
    I just recorded a video accessing 3G data on my iPhone 4 before and after holding it in my left hand. Instead of just looking at the reception indicator, I used speed test apps to see if the 3G signal is affected. It completely lost all 3G reception.

YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqe0tBuBR20
  • Reply 63 of 108
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They still sell 3G S iPhones. iPhone is the issue, iPhone 4 is the issue. People have a chance here to do something that will make a difference, but no, they'll keep the phone and give Apple even more control over them.

God forbid people still like the phone in spite of its flaws!

Yes, the 3GS is still available, but that doesn't mean it's as good as the 4. I have a 3GS, but if I could get the iPhone 4 without having to pay $500 (still under contract), I would even knowing of its severe but avoidable flaw. Show me a phone as well-made as the iPhone without any of its flaws but all of its benefits though, and I'll happily convert.
  • Reply 64 of 108
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

The Apple store manager I was working with to fix my 4G phone did that exact same thing to my phone. My reply was that so now I have a sub standard Edge phone that was advertised as 3G?

He switched it back........

However, if you switch to Edge - at least you have a useable phone until something better comes along. For me, this work-around (a work-around is NOT intended as a permanent solution!!) at least allows me to use my phone in poor coverage areas without dropping phone calls.

I suspect that Apple, being a Computer Company, told the firmware to place a higher priority on data transmission than on voice communications. That's why 3G downloads may stall and calls get dropped.

However, if you disable 3G (Work-around); you get reasonable Edge speeds and a cell phone that works as a cell phone. When you get in an area with good reception - turn the 3G back on.
  • Reply 65 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes, because basic business concepts escape me, but are so clear to you¡ You aren't acting as crazy as you were last week, but you have yet to act rationally and logically about the situation.

You're the crazy one.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Small flaw? It's Apple we're talking about, and it's a mobile photo with data capabilities. Behind the scenes Steve is howling like a wolf. I guarantee it. It's not a small flaw. It's a major flaw. But yes, even that is asking too much.

I'll toss this at you ... it's seeming to be ignored on this thread.

I have a iPhone 4, and work in an area that has poor reception. Yesterday, I dropped 6 calls in 15 minutes. Frustrating does not begin to express my feelings.

Co-worker did an experiment with his 3G iPhone. Jailbroke it, set the display to show antenna dB instead of bars and did some comparisons. With 3G disabled, he got several dB better reception in the same area, than with it enabled. He's been doing this for a year; curious as to why the iPHone would attenuate the cell reception with 3G enabled.

I disabled my 3G, and where I could not run the download test due to stalling out - I now get 181 kbps down and 14 kbps up and this is repeatable with Edge. I can now surf (slow) and although it's slower than 3G - it's rock solid!!

Conversely, I've made several phone calls and have not dropped a single call, in the same area with the same call.

Does this work for you?
  • Reply 67 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You're the crazy one.

And my point proven once again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I disabled my 3G, and where I could not run the download test due to stalling out - I now get 181 kbps down and 14 kbps up and this is repeatable with Edge. I can now surf (slow) and although it's slower than 3G - it's rock solid!!

This makes me think this could be a problem with the new TriQuint UMTS chip being used (at worst) or a SW/driver issue fix (at best). Either way, the "few weeks" for this update tells me they are reasonably sure they can resolve it in SW and they are doing a lot more than changing the signal strength indicator bars.
  • Reply 68 of 108
    Quote:

And my point proven once again.

You have no point.

Quote:

This makes me think this could be a problem with the new TriQuint UMTS chip being used (at worst) or a SW/driver issue fix (at best). Either way, the "few weeks" for this update tells me they are reasonably sure they can resolve it in SW and they are doing a lot more than changing the signal strength indicator bars.

Assumptions are raining round here.
  • Reply 69 of 108
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    So... does a simple cheap-as-free piece of electrical tape not work just as well as the $30 bumper?
  • Reply 70 of 108
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    He-he. 730 EUR white thing for fashionistas is delayed due to supply issues, while a 30 EUR garter is right here on the day one. He-he. Apple is entering silicone business.

Never mind, Apple. Real technophiles --- umm, I mean who are sure that 10" of antenna length add more to its quality, than removing 2 mm of plastic case covering it; oh, putain! --- do know, how innovations are born.

No guts no glory. We still love your solutions, Apple, and we pay...
  • Reply 71 of 108
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    "Apple gave me free bumpers!" -Spartacus

• Reply 72 of 108
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Yeah, when was the last time Apple released a software update to address exactly one issue?
  • Reply 73 of 108
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

So... does a simple cheap-as-free piece of electrical tape not work just as well as the $30 bumper?

Bumper is better. Wider separation of ``capacitor' ' plates.
  • Reply 74 of 108
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

I just recorded a video accessing 3G data on my iPhone 4 before and after holding it in my left hand. Instead of just looking at the reception indicator, I used speed test apps to see if the 3G signal is affected. It completely lost all 3G reception.

YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqe0tBuBR20

Thanks for making the video. That's the best one I've seen yet. I've had the exact same thing but I get "call failed" too, unfortunately.

I've tried two cases and where I tested them they prevented going to "no network" from 5 bars like my bare hand did, instead the signal held steady at 3 bars. I've since tried using an old incase though from my 3G, it fits very badly and because of that it keeps my hand further away from the phone, and I've tried it for about four hours and have virtually no signal loss at all.

Edit: These tests were all on Vodafone's slower non 3G network.
  • Reply 75 of 108
    Quote:

Assumptions are raining round here.

As long as opinions and theories are stated as such it's okay, but when you start claiming them as unassailable facts and indomitable truths you show your lack of maturity and lack of judgement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, when was the last time Apple released a software update to address exactly one issue?

They have, at least on paper, with iOS and I recall them doing so with their desktop OS apps to fix a specific bug.
    It happens, they aren't perfect and only the "self-hating fanboys expect them to be perfect, everyone else seems to display good judgment.
  • Reply 76 of 108
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:

People have a chance here to do something that will make a difference, but no, they'll keep the phone and give Apple even more control over them.

I agree. Given the statement to iPhone 4 owners by Apple I should take my phone back and end my contract, it's that insulting. I really like it though, other than the issues, so I don't think I could do it. Pathetic I know, I'm not proud of it. I've already told my brother to hold off getting one though.
  • Reply 77 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I agree. Given the statement to iPhone 4 owners by Apple I should take my phone back and end my contract, it's that insulting. I really like it though, other than the issues, so I don't think I could do it. Pathetic I know, I'm not proud of it. I've already told my brother to hold off getting one though.

So everyone should return it even if it's working perfectly for them and worlds above any previous iPhone or any other smartphone on the market just because a ninny who trolled for a week can't come to terms with the way he was acting?

Personally, I'll side with reasonable and respected sites, like Consumer Reports, over a hysterical forum poster with no engineering background who claims its a design flaw within minutes of the first YouTube video being posted. But, hey, that's just me.
    Perhaps we should hold off lighting the torches and sharping the pitchforks for another day. The castle will still be there tomorrow.
  • Reply 78 of 108
    hho26hho26 Posts: 1member
    I do not know what the truth is or who to believe on this subject.

Here is what I do know for my iPhone 4.

When I grip my iPhone 4 as described in all these articles on this subject, my iPhone 4 does go from a standard 5 bars to one bar.

I just completed installing the Bodyguardz scratch-proof transparent film to my iPhone 4 which covers the area in questioned. Now I can grip the phone as described without any lost of signal bars. I repeat; after installing Bodyguardz to my iPhone 4 which covers the problem area, I experience no lost of signal bars.

Bodyguardz can be found at www.nluproducts.com.
  • Reply 79 of 108
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

To the shelves? That simply isn't possible. I'd say it's well over $1, too, though Apple is surely making a hefty profit on them.

As dfiler stated previously, they aren't simply a strip of rubber or plastic stretched over the phone. They are very precise pieces of rubber AND plastic with metal buttons built in.

I bet the buttons cost more than 2 or 3¢ per Bumper at this point, or to state another way, "No, [the] volume [button] parts are probably more like 2 or 3 cents."

Ah, didn't know about the metal parts... OK, how does 10 cents grab ya?
  • Reply 80 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hho26 View Post

I do not know what the truth is or who to believe on this subject.

Here is what I do know for my iPhone 4.

When I grip my iPhone 4 as described in all these articles on this subject, my iPhone 4 does go from a standard 5 bars to one bar.

I just completed installing the Bodyguardz scratch-proof transparent film to my iPhone 4 which covers the area in questioned. Now I can grip the phone as described without any lost of signal bars. I repeat; after installing Bodyguardz to my iPhone 4 which covers the problem area, I experience no lost of signal bars.

Bodyguardz can be found at www.nluproducts.com.

There's nothing to believe. If you like the case and it eliminates the dropping in bars, you can consider that problem solved.

The more important question is whether you got any dropped calls without the case and whether the case solved that problem. Why would you care what an Internet poster has to say when you have the phone yourself?