iPhone 4 screen yellowing could be a temporary problem from assembly

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    jinpa88jinpa88 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

We have much more pressing things to be annoyed about than some stupid gadget. Like the Gulf oil spill maybe?

That's right, yet here you are posting about people's reactions to said "stupid gadget" while the oil spill continues. Pot, I'd like to introduce Kettle. Kettle...Pot.

Okay everyone ...ATTENTION... Krupp's proclaimed that we're not allowed to complain about the product we bought until all of the world's ills are solved. Anyone not following the new policy shall be tarred and feathered.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

lkrupp: i don't own a droid. i got a couple of iphones today [my 4th and my wife's 1st], and if i could have paid twice as much for phones made in the United States i would have.

sailor paul: i'm just trying to remind everyone here that their shiny new toys are made by workers whose salaries more than DOUBLED, which may sound sweet, until you realize that it's the equivalent of going from $131 USD per MONTH to $291 USD/month - roughly $1.15 per hour. would you work for that pay in a factory where you stand and do the exact same task twenty thousand times a day?

bunnyturd: unless you have real knowledge of the working conditions in china don't say they have a choice... and trying to farm in Shenzhen is like trying to farm in Manhattan. the population density there is insane.

Do YOU have any knowledge of the working conditions?

By all reports, the employees at Foxconn have significantly better working conditions than their peers working for other companies - and princely salaries. The fact that they make much less than US works is not really relevant to their standard of living. They live like kings compared to people working for other companies in China.

I also go out of my way to buy American made products when I can, but complaining about how Foxconn treats their employees is not going to solve the real problems. The biggest thing we can do to address the issue in the short run is to ask our government to force the Chinese to abide by their agreement to let the yuan float.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    absdabsd Posts: 4member
    So has anyone's yellow spot gone away yet? 4 days later my yellow streak is still there. Somehow I suspect the whole "bonding agent" rumor was not very reliable.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    kjkelleykjkelley Posts: 16member
    After 4d my problem is still here
  • Reply 45 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by absd View Post

So has anyone's yellow spot gone away yet? 4 days later my yellow streak is still there. Somehow I suspect the whole "bonding agent" rumor was not very reliable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

After 4d my problem is still here

I'd have gone to get a new iPhone by now. You don't need to wait in line but it would be easier to make an appointment. Or, if an Apple Store isn't convenient for you then call and have then ship you a new one.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    absdabsd Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd have gone to get a new iPhone by now. You don't need to wait in line but it would be easier to make an appointment. Or, if an Apple Store isn't convenient for you then call and have then ship you a new one.

Went to Apple Store today to the Genius bar. Conversation went like this:

G: What's wrong with your IPhone 4?

Me: Giant yellow streak across the bottom

G: That's a residue from manufacturing, ...<looks at my serial number>, your phone is literally weeks old.

Me: So can you replace it?

G: No, just wait a month and it will probably go away

Me: "Probably"? Is 1 month an official time period now?

G: Yes, approximately

Me: What if it doesn't go away in a month?

G: Come back here

Basically I got a feeling that they don't know. Apple is using this to buy themselves sometime but I'm thinking in a month or so they'll just be replacing all of these.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by absd View Post

Went to Apple Store today to the Genius bar. Conversation went like this:

G: What's wrong with your IPhone 4?

Me: Giant yellow streak across the bottom

G: That's a residue from manufacturing, ...<looks at my serial number>, your phone is literally weeks old.

Me: So can you replace it?

G: No, just wait a month and it will probably go away

Me: "Probably"? Is 1 month an official time period now?

G: Yes, approximately

Me: What if it doesn't go away in a month?

G: Come back here

Basically I got a feeling that they don't know. Apple is using this to buy themselves sometime but I'm thinking in a month or so they'll just be replacing all of these.

You need to be more assertive. They are told what they are told, which is almost always less than we on these forums know. Just tell them you don't care if it will go away in a month, you want one that doesn't have it now. You want a finished product that doesn't look like shit because it was rushed out of factory. That shouldn't be your problem, that is their problem, and you want it rectified immediately. If the CSR won't do then tell him to get a manager. Also, get their name and use their name so he's well aware you know who they are (this works even better over the phone).
  • Reply 48 of 54
    I got my phone Thursday afternoon and I have the dreaded yellow streak just above the home button. I'm giving it a week to go away before I head to the genius bar.

It's odd, sometimes I swear it seems like it's faded/barely there, then moments later it will seem worse, almost like its related to the heat of the phone?

I have a genius bar appointment for Friday afternoon so if its not gone by then I will try to get a replacement. If they try to tell me to wait I will reiterate that I waited 12 hours in line for this freaking phone, I don't want to wait anymore.

Has anyone's actually disappeared?
  • Reply 49 of 54
    icespideicespide Posts: 6member
    had my genius bar appointment today.

at this point the yellow is impossible to see inside so to them it was a none issue.

I guess this means that it's fading away even though I can still see it outside in the sunlight. I guess I have to live with it?
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icespide View Post

had my genius bar appointment today.

at this point the yellow is impossible to see inside so to them it was a none issue.

I guess this means that it's fading away even though I can still see it outside in the sunlight. I guess I have to live with it?

Not at all. As it's been stated ad nauseam, but unfortunately countered by those with some confused anti-Apple agenda, you can return it for full refund within 30 days, so long as you haven't damaged it. However, if you wish to remain an iPhone 4 user I'd tell them that you either want one that doesn't have this blight or you want a full refund. Not showing up under their lights isn't a good argument that it doesn't exist.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    yeah. I just didn't have the energy to get really adamant about it. I think I'm going to give it another week and see how it goes.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    so I've definitely narrowed this down to a heat issue. 80% of the time there is no yellow line to be seen on my screen, however, yesterday as I was driving around out in the sun with my iPhone sitting in the car, the yellow showed up just a little, has to be the heat right?

so I do another test, I leave my phone outside in the sun for about 15 minutes. I go check it (damn was it hot, probably not the best idea) and the yellow line is FREAKING HUGE, easily 10x thicker than I've ever seen it. It took about an hour of the phone sitting in room temperature for the yellow to fade away again.

Lastly, I plugged the phone in to charge from about 15% battery life and the phone got warm, which is typical when going from low battery, sure enough the yellow line slowly started to appear, and as the phone cooled down it slowly faded away.

Curious indeed, I still have hope in this bonding agent theory, I'm going to wait until sometime next month and try and forget about it, I'll look for the yellow spot again later and if its still there, I'll go to the genius bar again and attempt a replacement, hopefully the iPhone craziness will have died down by then. Another reason I'd like to wait is hoping that later batches will be less likely to have these issues.

Also the death grip issue was on the today show this morning and it was hilarious *sigh*

Anyone have any thoughts on why heat would make the yellow fade in more? Perhaps the space between the glass and the display ever so slightly shift with the change in temperature? My mind is boggled
  • Reply 53 of 54
    had another genius bar visit yesterday and I got a replacement phone with no hassle. very pleased. no yellow streaks or spots

The mute switch feels kinda crappy on the new one and there's a small blemish near the bottom of the metal but I'm going to have to fight my OCD on that one =)
  • Reply 54 of 54
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icespide View Post

had another genius bar visit yesterday and I got a replacement phone with no hassle. very pleased. no yellow streaks or spots

Glad to hear that.