Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy

Comments

• Reply 161 of 451
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Be happy to oblige ... honest ...... which leg?

I'd love to see you try.
  • Reply 162 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

"Using a cover, iPhone 4 performed even better"... Design flaw (one shouldn't have to use a cover). Apple really? I'm not even going to get into it.

Yeah and with iPhone 5 you magically won't have to use a cover, for some reason. As if they would have redesigned it to work perfectly without a cover.
  • Reply 163 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

It's sad to me when I read the AI forums and witness Solipsism and Ireland, the two whom I consider the mavens of the AI forums, as adversaries. I come here to be informed and instead I get a couple of guys arguing. I'm not taking sides but, in my opinion, Solipsism is keeping an objective head about the whole thing. Never have I seen Ireland so....hardnosed, for lack of a better term.

I'm sorry if you feel let down by my behavior, but Apple's behavior has let me down. So I'm a little pissed off with them right now. The whole thing is a big let down, and sadly not even so much the terribly bad designed antenna, but their response to the whole thing. They have yet to once show their customers one ounce of respect. This to me shows what Apple thinks of us, they don't give a shit about us. You would have thought all that loyalty would be worth something, truth is it's not worth Jack Shit.

I won't be buying iPhone 4, and I'll be highly discouraging against it. Apple don't "deserve" to sell one more iPhone 4.
  • Reply 164 of 451
    Sanity.

Consumer Reports is a shill for no one.
  • Reply 165 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

Please keep your comments on topic and articulate ideas effectively rather than relying on unsubstantiated character attacks.

This article only presents comments from a Consumer Reports entry. Suggesting that DED is part of a vast conspiracy to hide reality because he has some unknown amount of shares in Apple (if he does) is complete bullshit.

Also, brush up on grammar and spelling. Affect/effect, Ford's is not plural, and so on. Please don't drag the conversation down to childish Gizmodo levels with emotional hysterics and ignorant language skills.

I'll brush up on my grammar if you brush up on your ear wax. Yes he owns shares, and yes, it matters.
  • Reply 166 of 451
    Paraphrasing the Socratic Greek philosopher Heraclitus, "Reading things here is like a day of wine ... revealing far too much about the prejudices and ignorance that one supposedly rails against."
  • Reply 167 of 451
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Paraphrasing the Socratic Greek philosopher Heraclitus, "Reading things here is like a day of wine ... revealing far too much about the prejudices and ignorance that one supposedly rails against."

ha ha ha. Nice one.
  • Reply 168 of 451
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

There is no doubt the reception issue is real. It really boils down to who it affects individually. I can reproduce the error about 40% of the time. Even then, it hasn't dropped a call. I even forced it to get down to no bars on EDGE and the voice still connected, didn't drop and was clear. Odd.

I think it's safe to say that for me and me only, it's a non-issue. It's unfortunate for the ones who due suffer it. Return it if it's really that bad.

It's a non issue for everyone, except the people already in bad AT&T areas that have decided they're tired of blaming AT&T so let's shift the blame to Apple for a bit.

That's all thats occurring. That's all that's ever been occurring. The whiny PIA morons need to shut up about this situation, immediately.
  • Reply 169 of 451
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The whiny PIA morons need to shut up about this situation, immediately.

sir! yes sir!

Where's the nazi smiley when you need one.
  • Reply 170 of 451
    bytorx1bytorx1 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm sorry if you feel let down by my behavior, but Apple's behavior has let me down. So I'm a little pissed off with them right now. The whole thing is a big let down, and sadly not even so much the terribly bad designed antenna, but their response to the whole thing. They have yet to once show their customers one ounce of respect. This to me shows what Apple thinks of us, they don't give a shit about us. You would have thought all that loyalty would be worth something, truth is it's not worth Jack Shit.

I won't be buying iPhone 4, and I'll be highly discouraging against it. Apple don't "deserve" to sell one more iPhone 4.

Ireland, your quote about Apple not showing customers respect is silly.

The customer you want Apple to show respect are the standard self entitled users. The iPhone4 is

working well for the dozen people I personally know own it and over all it's just fine.

Bumpers or no bumpers we are using our iPhone4's just fine even in places that typically have been poor signal areas in the USA.

Regardless of inaccurate signal bars, this is no indication of drop call syndrome.

Our company ( 12 employees using iPhone4 since 6/24) is happy and amused by the "annoyed" bandwagon noise-makers.
  • Reply 171 of 451
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Umm, and how would the speaker and microphone line up to our ears and mouth?

The suggestion was to turn the phone upside down when accessing the Internet. Your complaint is therefore irrelevant.

It has already been established that cupping the bottom of the phone in your hand while making a call is extremely difficult to do-the normal grip would be to hold the phone by the sides, so no problems occur. Even if you have some weird anatomy, there are ver few reports of dropped calls when holding the phone. There are a few more cases of decreased internet access speeds, which is why the above suggestion is made.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

This consumer reports article is factually flawed and thus the conclusions are wrong. The reception problem is real and reprodeable. There is plenty of video evidence. And yet they're using the term "alleged"?

I won't go do far as to claim deceit on the part of the shareholding author. But he has just added to the confusion by publishing incorrect speculation as fact.

Yet, the author is aware of the video examples (I would argue that it's not evidence of anything unless you know the real conditions and do a control test with a different phone under the same conditions). And, even being aware of all the same 'evidence' you are, he reached a different conclusion. Where is your proof that he's lying? You're making a serious allegation, please prove it.

Hint: owning Apple stock isn't really very relevant. Apple's share price has not gone down any more than the market over the past week's feeding frenzy, so clearly all the whining and moaning is not impacting the stock, so there would be no reason for him to destroy his journalistic career to prop up the stock.
  • Reply 172 of 451
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

<-- Still trying to find in the forum rules that state you have to own an iPhone and/or Apple stock to post here or to just have an opinion.

You can have an opinion ..... but hardly an informed opinion.
  • Reply 173 of 451
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I'd love to see you try.

Congrats ... this is the first post from you that I've see where you weren't bashing Apple ... is this the "new you" or just a mirage?
  • Reply 174 of 451
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Why are you disappointed in their behavior? They spent a week researching an issue and issued a statement indicating they have identified a fix for the problem and will issue a software update in the next few weeks. What should they have done differently? Not had a problem, ok sure, but it happens. What else?

You believe their fix will not fix the problem, but you also have no basis for that belief. The biggest issue for iPhone 4 users right now is clearly the proximity sensor, they did not mention that in the press release just issued, but I will be happy to wager there is a fix in 4.01.

Have you personally contacted Apple? If your phone is not working contact support. If they tell you your problem will be fixed by the update, than you can decide you believe them and wait, decide you think they are lying and return your phone, or continue to both own and be upset about because , well I don't know why you would do that.
  • Reply 175 of 451
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

...They have yet to once show their customers one ounce of respect. This to me shows what Apple thinks of us, they don't give a shit about us. You would have thought all that loyalty would be worth something, truth is it's not worth Jack Shit.

My personal experience has been quite the opposite. I was recently a bit upset because I had purchased an upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2 for $499.00 unaware (at the time) that the latest Final Cut Studio would hit store shelves about 6 weeks later and for $200 less. I called Apple and very politely asked if they could help me out (hoping I might get a small discount off of the new upgrade or something). To my surprise, they gave me a full refund on Final Cut Studio 2 upgrade 6 weeks after purchase without even requiring me to buy the latest FInal Cut Studio upgrade on the spot. I subsequently purchased the upgrade a day later, but I must say, I was very pleased with Apple being so accommodating. They didn't have to do anything, as I was outside the standard return policy and the software was opened and installed. So, from my perspective, Apple certainly did seem to give a $hit. And that wasn't the only time they've been very accommodating. I also returned the 3G when I bought it the 1st time because of poor 3G coverage and they waived the restocking fee without hesitation.
  • Reply 176 of 451
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member

Tried to upload a picture but I don't seem to have the knack.
  • Reply 177 of 451
    djdjdjdj Posts: 74member
    The data published by Anandtech and my own experience differ from what CR is saying here.

I don't own an iPhone personally (AT&T absolutely sucks at my house to the point of not being usable), but I do have several friends that do, and upgraded from iPhone 3Gs (plural, not 3GS). In all cases, they have had a lot more trouble maintaining a signal, and a LOT more dropped calls with the iPhone 4 than they did with the 3G models they had before. In fact, one friend, Paul, routinely asks me to tether through my T-Mobile HD2 whenever we're together so he can actually access the Internet, because his phone is not able to lock onto AT&T well enough for the phone to actually be usable. Another, Spencer, has made it a point to vocally complain about signal issues, the inability to reliably connect, and vocally count off the amount of time it takes to send a text message, even when the phone is reporting 5 bars of signal. Both were satisfied customers with their 3G phones.

In the cases of the 4 people I know with iPhone 4 models, all of them are having a LOT more signal issues than they did with the 3G model, even without bridging the gap on the lower left corner. Their phones are basically not usable, where the 3G could actually make calls and browse the Internet.

Based on what I am seeing, I am actively warning people away from the 4 until Apple acknowledges a problem. Anandtech did good quality quantitative analysis of the signal problem, and it is very real. The antenna design of the 4 is pretty bad, and while the bumper case helps, it doesn't solve it. Apple really blew it on this one.
  • Reply 178 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Congrats ... this is the first post from you that I've see where you weren't bashing Apple ... is this the "new you" or just a mirage?

Good story.
  • Reply 179 of 451
    This whole iPhone thing is a sham-mockery!! I blame the Russian spies. (just trying to inject a little levity, it's not that serious folks)

Either return it and get a Evo or Droid X or keep it and enjoy everyday, it really is that simple. If I buy a new TV and the picture goes out 2-3 times a day I bring it back and get another, I don't start complaining all over the place and filing lawsuits. And a good HDTV cost a whole lot more than any phone.
  • Reply 180 of 451
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    I couldn't resist posting this to drive the antenna denialist's even more out of their minds. It's Ive's in January 2010 and was posted over at MacRumors with pics-

"There isn't a pointing device. There isn't even a single orientation. There's no up, there's no down... there's no right or wrong way of holding it. I don't have to change myself to fit the product, it fits me."