Dodgy wireless?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm using a 21.5" iMac, and I've been having a couple problems with the wireless ever since I got it.

The problem I've had ever since I got it is the WIFI occasionally disconnecting, and it also fails to connect a LOT.

More recently, I've had problems where the mouse has been disconnecting every half hour or so, and I've had to work out the keyboard shortcuts to reconnect it through System Prefs (don't worry, I've memorised them now )

Does anyone know whether this is worth taking to apple?

Oh yeah, this was a refurb iMac, if that means anything.

~Callum

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Is the wireless router close to the iMac?

Yup. My iPhone and Netbook both connect fine from the same place.

Quote:

Is there any other cables or interferences from other sources nearby?

Nope, and above point

Quote:

Are there any other wifi locations near you that could be causing the problem?

There are five WIFI networks showing up, never above two bars signal except for mine (full)

Quote:

I would take the iMac to another location with strong wifi and see if the issues persist, to determine if it's the iMac or your wifi or location.

Sometimes if you have a open wifi or WEP or even WPA, it could have been hacked from a neighbor, thus they are using it and soaking your connection.

The only absolute secure wifi is WPA 2 with AES, a long random password, admin access turned off and a guest internet access password only. Or a direct connection via Ethernet cable to the router and wifi turned off.

Also you might have to update your routers firmware too, it could be hacked from the outside. Turning off PING is a good idea unless you remote manage the router over the internet. This way it won't answer incoming calls and slow it down.

Routers have a east setup and a harder setup, the harder setup usually has all the good stuff to secure your router. So it's good to take the time to learn that part for a trouble free operation.

I've tried it in different places too. Same problem. Interestingly, the mouse disconnects when the computer is knocked I don't think it's a problem with hackers, I have (literally) the slowest internet ever, and that isn't because of hackers stealing bandwidth.

EDIT: Oh, and I live in the friendliest place ever and know all the neighbours, and can't see any suspiciously parked cars

~Callum
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Whut?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    SpotOn got himself banned. And the Mods must have deleted a bunch of his shall we say, colorful, recent posts.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Fair enough

~Callum
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Bump

~Callum