Apple issues iOS 4 fix for Exchange ActiveSync issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has issued a configuration profile that addresses an issue in iOS 4 that may cause sync problems with Microsoft Exchange or Google Mail and Calendar.

Apple notes that "immediately after updating to iOS 4, some users may notice that Exchange ActiveSync Mail, Contacts, or Calendars do not sync, or sync very slowly. In addition, some Exchange Server administrators may notice their servers running slowly."

The issue, according to a report by the site

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    I hope they offer a fix soon so that more than just one or two bookmarks are synced onto my iPhone with mobileme from the bookmarks bar.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Should have caught this in Networks QA. Somebody missed a test suite. Good thing it is such a simple fix.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Even after this fix, my Gmail/Exchange Push email account has been saying "Checking for mail" for the past 7 minutes after a reboot.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    When I updated my iPhone to iOS 4.0 on Wednesday, it immediately nuked my Calendar in desktop iCal and online Mobile Me.

I then had to spend HOURS in a text chat with Apple MobileMe tech support to fix it.

I am not sure if this was related to this, but if I didn't have a back up in Time Machine, I would have been hosed!

Not fun.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    I think the bigger thing here is apple are offering direct downloads to the OS from the device. Before we would have had to connect to iTunes.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

I think the bigger thing here is apple are offering direct downloads to the OS from the device. Before we would have had to connect to iTunes.

It's because it's just a config profile that changes one setting. It's not a software change. The downloadable iPhone Configuration Utility is even available to create many config profile configurations that you can self install.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

I was thinking that. It would also be nice to be able to update iOS without the need for iTunes. I can sell my MBP then.

I'm sure it's on the agenda.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    kfury77kfury77 Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I was thinking that. It would also be nice to be able to update iOS without the need for iTunes. I can sell my MBP then.

I'm sure it's on the agenda.

Is the only reason you have a MBP because of needing to Sync your iPhone? Really? If you did sell your MBP would you then not sync your iPhone at all? If so, if you then lost your iPhone, or it gets stolen, or it breaks, or memory gets wiped... you'd lose EVERYTHING.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 381member
    Doesn't work. Mobile safari errors with "cannot install profile", "due to unknown error".
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Doesn't work. Mobile safari errors with "cannot install profile", "due to unknown error".

I got the same error as you. After I switched to WiFi, it downloaded and installed fine.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

I had no problem doing it over wifi.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Weird, not had any issues with either MobileMe or Exchange on my iPhone 4. Is there any other elements to the server setups which cause this?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Hmm, I've been having an issue with Mail taking forever to check and send mail on occasion. I wonder if this patch will fix the issue for me. Can't wait to go home and try it out.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Does anyone know if battery life is improved after applying this profile? Gmail sync has been draining my battery like whoa since I got the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    When is the iPhone going to be able to sync notes and tasks with Exchange server?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    dangeroodangeroo Posts: 2member
    I had no problems running the patch via Safari. It installs.

I do the re-boot and the grayed-out 'Auto-Lock' expiring in one minute is still there.

I created a pass-code again hoping I would see some time options other than 'Immediately'. No dice. This is REALLY annoying.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Not to be paranoid but the profile says unsigned. Any proof this is from Apple?

I haven't heard anything about this from either Apple or AT&T.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Weird, not had any issues with either MobileMe or Exchange on my iPhone 4. Is there any other elements to the server setups which cause this?

Another reason I don't trust it, iOS 4 has been awesome, even increased my battery life by like 25%
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Not to be paranoid but the profile says unsigned. Any proof this is from Apple?

I haven't heard anything about this from either Apple or AT&T.

One, it's from apple.com

Two: Here's the support doc:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3398?viewlocale=en_US
  • Reply 20 of 21
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewpep View Post

One, it's from apple.com

Two: Here's the support doc:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3398?viewlocale=en_US

Cool, thanks, then shame on Apple for the way they distributed this and for pushing a profile that shows up as if it was not safe to install. To me that is very unprofessional considering even their OS combo updates come with certificate signing.

Is it just me or is Apple getting a bit lax in their quality control.