Lab tests compare Apple's iPhone 4 Retina Display to rival phones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The display is simply the best out in the wild. I'm one week into my iP4 and it still amazes me how sharp it is. Any other display now is 2nd-rate. I can't squint my eyes hard enough to see the pixels it's that darn good.

I have no issues with the reception. While I'm not excusing Apple for their "blunder" whether actual or implied, it's still the best phone (imho) on the market. Fandroids and Wintards would love to imply otherwise but honestly, every phone I've had has always had a case and with the the iP4, it is almost a necessity as the build quality is so high on the next level, it's like carrying around fine-china. I'm not excusing Apple but at the same time, I am using a case therefore the entire reception fiasco is moot.

I retired my old 2g iPhone and after using the iP4, I won't be going back.

Once it becomes economically feasible for Apple to use this same display tech in the next generation iPad, magazines and books will surely be obsolete.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Once it becomes economically feasible for Apple to use this same display tech in the next generation iPad, magazines and books will surely be obsolete.

I ran some number on what that will be. Basically, get a 326 ppi "Retinal Display" that matches the iPhone's display means around an 2527 x 1900 resolution.

And doing the same doubling along each access, like the jump between the previous iPhones and the iPhone 4, means 2048 x 1536. Note that would still not be a "Retinal Display" by definition of 20/20 vision from 12".

For comparison, the 30" ACD is 2560 x 1600.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    The iPhone 4 display is indeed gorgeous, much better than I expected. I've yet to try it in low light, where it presumably look much worse, but in normal conditions it's amazing. My one gripe would be that it's just too small. It wouldn't have to grow to those huge Android sizes, just fill more of the front of the phone and be 16:9. Would make a world of difference for watching movies.

Also, the iPad screen looks horribly low-res now by comparison. It's even worse than the previous iPhone, which also looks like an ancient relic compared to the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The display is simply the best out in the wild. I'm one week into my iP4 and it still amazes me how sharp it is. Any other display now is 2nd-rate. I can't squint my eyes hard enough to see the pixels it's that darn good.

Most reviewers do not agree with you. The Samsung Wave and Galaxy S have the best screens currently available.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

so one big thing, it appears, is that all the hype about the Droid X and other Androids capturing "HD" 720p video is crap. because 16 bit color is all its software can process. 16 bit color is not "HD,"

The Galaxy runs Android, has a 24 bit screen and shoots 720p.

Soneira famously claimed the Nexus One screen was only 16 bit, but he was wrong, so I would take anything he says with a pinch of salt.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

This should also stop the dust from getting inbetween the glass and the display. i used to get that all the time with my iphone 3gs. I just got my iphone 4 today and i am amazed at the screen.

Oh thanks a lot, I never noticed dust in mine until you just said something! I just had to go look, stupid stupid....
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Most reviewers do not agree with you. The Samsung Wave and Galaxy S have the best screens currently available.

The Galaxy runs Android, has a 24 bit screen and shoots 720p.

Soneira famously claimed the Nexus One screen was only 16 bit, but he was wrong, so I would take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

Let's look at this with facts since you refuse to supply any links to back up your claim.

Wave display is 282ppi, Galaxy S is 233 ppi, and iPhone 4 is 326 ppi. Only the iPhone has pixels that can't be seen by someone with 20/20 vision at 12" away.

Wave and Galaxy S have S-AMOLED which gives it better contract and deeper blacks, but that's it. iPhone 4 is IPS and brighter backlight. iPhone wins in every other category.

Wave has 3.3" display and Galaxy S has 4" display, both with a 1.67 aspect ratio which makes it "widescreen" therefore less effective for viewing text and better at watching video, but if that's your goal for a smartphone you're better off with the Galaxy S over the Wave.

They all have 24-bit displays, but iOS offers 24-bit colour depth. Android doesn't so the Galaxy S loses to iPhone. Does Bada offer 24-bit colour depth?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Let's look at this with facts since you refuse to supply any links to back up your claim.

Wave display is 282ppi, Galaxy S is 233 ppi, and iPhone 4 is 326 ppi. Only the iPhone has pixels that can't be seen by someone with 20/20 vision at 12" away.

Wave and Galaxy S have S-AMOLED which gives it better contract and deeper blacks, but that's it. iPhone 4 is IPS and brighter backlight. iPhone wins in every other category.

Wave has 3.3" display and Galaxy S has 4" display, both with a 1.67 aspect ratio which makes it "widescreen" therefore less effective for viewing text and better at watching video, but if that's your goal for a smartphone you're better off with the Galaxy S over the Wave.

They all have 24-bit displays, but iOS offers 24-bit colour depth. Android doesn't so the Galaxy S loses to iPhone. Does Bada offer 24-bit colour depth?

It is not that I 'refuse' to supply links, it's more of a case I can't be bothered. I have often found when I do supply links, the one-eyed iPhone fanatics either don't bother checking the links or just slither away without comment, never admitting they were wrong. But since you have asked, I am happy to supply links.

Bada has a unix Kernal and the display colour depth is 24 bit (Display:Color-Depth: \t 24 bit/pixel (16777216 scales)) http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...s8500_wave_8gb internally the OS seems to support 32 bit.

Quote:

• Supported bitmap formats:

– RGB565

• Each pixel contains 16 bits of color information.

– ARGB8888

• Each pixel contains 32 bits of color information (24 RGB bits + 8 alpha bits).

• As Alpha is supported, images can be displayed transparently.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

Android 2.0.1 supported 24 bit in the gallery viewer app. 2.1 saw this downgraded to 16 bit. But the OS still supports 24 bit and other apps can still display images in 24 bit.

You have fallen for the same trap Soneira did, measuring the capability of one app and thinking the results indicated a limit in the underlying hardware/OS.

In focusing on pixel pitch, you are picking the one metric the iPhone display could be considered to be superior in and elevating it to being the be-all-and-end-all criteria for display quality.

You can view text in either portrait or landscape, or are you trying to argue neither quite matches the iPhone for perfect proportions for viewing text? ;-)

What I said was "Most reviewers do not agree with you. The Samsung Wave and Galaxy S have the best screens currently available."

Here are the links to back up that view:

GSM Arena review of the Wave:
    Quote:

The Super AMOLED touchscreen is the envy of the industry, with image quality that no other phone display could match."

And the screen… words can hardly describe the difference to regular LCD displays. It’s just beautiful simply to look at.

The display is just incredible

The AMOLED display technology has a great edge over LCD in terms of contrast that’s no news. Super AMOLED screens have the deepest blacks we’ve seen on a mobile phone. Besides, color vibrance has got a boost too, which makes the S8500 Wave display image quality all the more impressive. The viewing angles are the best in business and outdoor visibility is remarkable too.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s850...review-480.php

Were you about to tell me the iPhone 4 screen is brighter and better visible in sunlight?

Quote:

Even John Gruber got it wrong the other day when he wrote about Samsung “They can say this now, but they won’t be able to say such things and be taken seriously after the iPhone 4 is released and people have seen it in person. Until they figure out a way to make AMOLED visible in daylight, they’re not even in the game.”

Samsung has already figured this out and the Wave, and the upcoming Galaxy, are proof of that- they work perfectly in bright daylight.

http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/201...-already-over/

Engadget compared the displays of the Samsung Galaxy S and iPhone 4 in real life conditions - including direct sunlight - and concluded the Samsung AMOLED display was marginally better:

Quote:

Cellphones, Mobile Handsets

iPhone 4 Retina Display vs. Galaxy S Super AMOLED... fight! (updated)

By Vlad Savov posted Jun 24th 2010 1:15PM

Hands-On

If the title of this post isn't enough to entice you, we don't know what else to say. We've gone and run some sunlit comparisons between Apple's brand spanking new phone's Retina Display and Samsung's equally fresh and exclusive Super AMOLED panel on the Galaxy S. We don't know if we'll be able to settle the argument, but we're certainly going to subject both superphones to an expansive visual inspection. Follow us after the break for video exploration of this most pressing topic.

Update: Due to the Galaxy S having a separate setting for browser brightness, which we didn't max out in the original investigation, we've gone back and collected some truly 100 percent illuminated pictures. See the gallery after the break. Keep in mind that this shouldn't discredit most of the work done here, as we were more interested in pixel-level detail than brightness.

iPhone 4 vs. Samsung Galaxy S display face-off

First thing's first: all the images in our gallery are left entirely untouched, with the first four being 100 percent crops of the original camera output, altered only to insert our watermark and phone notation. The quickest thing to stand out to us when putting this set of photos together was the iPhone's brightness. The Super AMOLED display on the Galaxy S remains pretty much a standard-setting screen, and yet it looked almost gray when sat next to Apple's latest (with both handsets rocking a 100 percent brightness setting).

Update: Thanks to an arcane browser-specific brightness setting on the Galaxy S, we were originally looking at less than the full force of the S-AMOLED panel. Consequently, we went back to Samsung's offices for another look at the two displays and have now produced the comparison gallery below. It gives a taste both of the displays' capabilities and of the browser rendering being done beneath them. It's important to note that we didn't feel there was any tangible difference in the Samsung display's output beyond the obvious increase in brightness. Ergo, the rest of our observations stand as before.

iPhone 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S: displays at full brightness

Viewing angles are pretty much impossible to split, though we're inclined to give the iPhone the thinnest of edges here as it seemed to give us that bit more definition from tight viewpoints. But consider that a nuanced draw rather than any sort of win.

When we brought the pair outside for some time in the sunshine, we were immediately disappointed by a typical turn for the worse by the British weather, but there was enough light to challenge both displays. Should you ever have the somewhat unusual circumstances of having light beaming directly down onto the screen without your noggin casting a helpful shadow, neither display will give you any great usability. But cast that shadow, turn away from the sunlight, do anything to avoid the direct rays, and you'll get some pretty sweet utility out of both. Once again, it's a pretty impossible task to differentiate between the output of the Retina Display and Super AMOLED, though if we have to choose, Samsung will get the nod. This really is a territory where personal preference will determine which the better screen will be, the differences are that minuscule.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/i...-amoled-fight/

Quote:

When Samsung launched this phone they made a big deal of the Super AMOLED display and rightly so. At 3.3 inches and with a resolution of 480 x 800, it is pin sharp, but that's not the only quality we like about it. The colour rendering and the deep blacks are astonishing: many mobile phone displays look grey, but looking into the display of the Samsung Wave is like peering into an inky well.

The colours are really vibrant and leap out of the display. There is definition in video and photos that make them look sensational; it's the best display we’ve seen on a mobile phone

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/48...00-bada-review

Quote:

Screen (10/10)

Hands down the best screen I have used on a smartphone. It is highly responsive and looks splendid in all conditions. The colours are incredibly vibrant and the screen content feels as though it is closer to the glass than most other smartphones. The main advantage of this screen is the performance in bright sunlight. I tested it next to the iPhone, which is very good in bright conditions, and it is much, much better. When I saw AMOLED on the specs sheet my heart dropped because they are often unreadable in bright conditions, but the mDNIe technology (whatever that is?) used here really does work. The viewing angles are to the extreme and it is simply wonderful to look at and use. Superb!

http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/201...view-part-two/

Is that enough links?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Brilliant post, cnocbui. Now that's a rebuttal!
  • Reply 29 of 29
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Brilliant post, cnocbui. Now that's a rebuttal!

Brightness: Iphone wins over amoled. No comparison to Droid

Contrast: HTC wins and anyone who knows the slightest bit about HDTV's, projectors, etc...can tell you that contrast is the most important element in picture quality. So at least for video, the amoled and upcomming samoled screens are the clear winner.

Color Accuracy: Droid wins, iPhone equally as undersaturated as HTC is oversaturated

Color Depth: Tie other than the photo viewer on android (will probably be fixed with 3.0--why this was downgraded I have no idea)

Resolution: iphone wins

Here is one they forgot:

Screen size: Droid wins by far, HTC second, iphone last.

By January we are going to see 720p dual core Android phones, with super amoled screens, and with hummingbird GPUs or better. So all of these phones will be far behind the curve.