Apple adds iPad support to MobileMe iDisk app

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday updated its MobileMe iDisk application to version 1.2, bringing support for multitasking within iOS 4 for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as well as native support for the iPad.

The 3.4MB update is available from the App Store or through iTunes. New features in version 1.2, according to Apple, include:

designed for both iPhone and iPad

Multitasking support for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS (iOS 4 required)

Quickly switch to another app and back using iDisk

Play audio from your iDisk while using another app

When app is opened, the last file or directory viewed is displayed

Option to open iDisk documents in compatible apps such as iBooks

When sharing a file, an email can be sent from any configured email account

The URL for a shared filed can be copied and pasted

Various stability improvements.

The iDisk application was first released for the iPhone and iPod touch in July of 2009. It allows users to remotely access files saved online via the MobileMe service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    applecationapplecation Posts: 147member
    I hope this means Pages and Numbers will now work with iDisk. I was very surprised to find it did not support the cloud (like, say, QuickOffice).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    About time. Now if Apple would just update the rest of their apps.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    formerarsgmformerarsgm Posts: 191member
    It would be nice if Apple's Remote would be updated to take advantage of iPad as well.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    The specific mention of playing audio from the iDisk makes me wonder if Apple is finally going to start taking MobileMe seriously and get the performance to where it would need to be to serve as a "cloud-based" media hub.

It seems to me that Apple is taking the opposite approach to the one suggested in "Field of Dreams." We have all come, and now we are just waiting on Apple to build "it." "It" in this case, is the missing link between the great family of Apple products and services that now exists.

When I can seamlessly access all my AppleTV, iPhone, Mac, and iPad content over-the-air and save bi-directionally, I will be a very happy camper!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Tried to open a few .jpg files (5 MB and a 4MB) and I found an alternate way to go back to the iOS Home screen without pressing the Home button. It's also having trouble showing the whole top item in a directory or file list that's longer than the length of the screen when in landscape orientation. I scroll up to the top and it bounces down a bit to cut off half the name of the first item.

I didn't bother with the old iDisk app on the iPad so I don't know if these problems existed in previous versions. I hope they update Remote and Gallery soon.

-Chris
  • Reply 6 of 8
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    A marginal (at best) update.

If the folks running MobileMe, iDisk, and AppleTV were held to the same standards and performance requirements as the rest of the company, they would have landed on their butts on the sidewalk long ago.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A marginal (at best) update.

If the folks running MobileMe, iDisk, and AppleTV were held to the same standards and performance requirements as the rest of the company, they would have landed on their butts on the sidewalk long ago.

Here, here! Great potential, but MobileMe is over-priced, under-powered, and lacks innovation and coherence. They really need to do a bigger picture evaluation of where this should be.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Here, here! Great potential, but MobileMe is over-priced, under-powered, and lacks innovation and coherence. They really need to do a bigger picture evaluation of where this should be.

Obviously you don't use MM or own any idevices then? Because for less than $10/ month I get, find my iphone, Private photo publishing, Web hosting, Mail, calendar and contacts synching across all of my desktop and mobil devices, backup, limitless file size file sharing and 10GB of storage; in one coherent package. Yeah totaly overpriced and I've never found it useful.