AT&T not throttling iPhone 4 upload bandwidth

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Some iPhone 4 users have experienced slow upload speeds on the AT&T network, but the issue is not a result of intentional bandwidth throttling by the U.S. carrier, AppleInsider has learned.

Users across the U.S. have reported upload speeds of around 100Kbps, well below the capabilities of the HSPA-capable iPhone 4. The issue has affected users in a number of major metropolitan areas across the country, including New York and Los Angeles.

While some speculated the problems were a result of bandwidth throttling by AT&T, that is not said to be the case. Instead, AppleInsider has been led to believe that the issues are a result of an unintentional software glitch related to High-Speed Uplink Packet Access in some sections of the country. When working properly, HSUPA can allow uplink speeds of 5.76Mbit/s.

It is believed that a fix for the issue is forthcoming, though AT&T did not provide a comment on the matter as of Tuesday evening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    I wish someone would throttle AT&T.
  • Reply 2 of 94
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It's getting redicilous ATT. A couple of years ago I would have given you a break. Crazy high demand, new 3G service, so on, but at this point your service is a joke and I hope everyone leaves ATT as soon as iPhone goes to any other carrier. ATT is ruining the iPhone experience.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    You're uploading it wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When working properly, HSUPA can allow uplink speeds of 5.76Mbit/s.

“When working properly, HSUPA Category 6, as found on the iPhone 4, can allow uplink speeds of 5.76Mbit/s”

HSUPA Category 7 will allow for 11.5 Mbit/s and future HSPA+ implementations allow for 22Mbit/s up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

You're uploading it wrong.

• Reply 5 of 94
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It's getting redicilous ATT. A couple of years ago I would have given you a break. Crazy high demand, new 3G service, so on, but at this point your service is a joke and I hope everyone leaves ATT as soon as iPhone goes to any other carrier. ATT is ruining the iPhone experience.

Before going off half-cocked why not wait for some real information to emerge. I know it's the new nerd mantra to bash at&t but you will be depressed and suicidal if you actually think at&t will lose all of its iPhone customers, or even a significant percentage. Not going to happen. Just as the antenna issue is over hyped hysteria by a vocal minority so is this. You won't even get the trolls to agree. They'll swear it's the iPhone doing this and not at&t.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    milan03milan03 Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some iPhone 4 users have experienced slow upload speeds on the AT&T network, but the issue is not a result of intentional bandwidth throttling by the U.S. carrier, AppleInsider has learned.

Users across the U.S. have reported upload speeds of around 100Kbps, well below the capabilities of the HSPA-capable iPhone 4. The issue has affected users in a number of major metropolitan areas across the country, including New York and Los Angeles.

While some speculated the problems were a result of bandwidth throttling by AT&T, that is not said to be the case. Instead, AppleInsider has been led to believe that the issues are a result of an unintentional software glitch related to High-Speed Uplink Packet Access in some sections of the country. When working properly, HSUPA can allow uplink speeds of 5.76Mbit/s.

It is believed that a fix for the issue is forthcoming, though AT&T did not provide a comment on the matter as of Tuesday evening.

If it was a software glitch, that would've been fixable in a matter of hours. This has been going on since the morning of July 2nd! I'm not sure if you guys are aware of that little number. The fact of the matter is that at least 30 million AT&T users nationwide are getting their upload speeds capped at 100kbps. That is a fact. If you don't believe it, head on to macrumors forum and take a look at the screenshots posted by users all over the states. Certain markets are spared, and if you see the screenshots showing normal speeds, that means the market was not affected. You will also find a list of over 30 markets coast to coast affected with this "glitch" or whatever you like to call it. The list is still being updated as new cities all over the country are posting about the problem. I don't expect you to understand how does 100kbps feel if you didn't experience it yourself.
  • Reply 7 of 94
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm frustrated with AT&T too, but...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by milan03 View Post

If it was a software glitch, that would've been fixable in a matter of hours.

It depends. If it was some kind of spurious glitch fixable with a power reset, or a configuration error, fixable by going into a firmware console and changing settings, maybe. If it was an error in the code, no.

Quote:

This has been going on since the morning of July 2nd!

You mean over the holiday weekend? When their techs, outside a skeleton crew, might be away on vacation? Who might not have the ability to recompile code?

It does look bad for them though, and for the sake of the customers, I hope they do fix it quickly.
  • Reply 8 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is affecting my iPhone in some strange way as well, even though I've still got my 3G.! I just completed some more tests, and am getting a DOWNLOAD speed of about 65 Kps. With an upload speed of about 55 Kps! Weird! That's with the local NY Optimus Online server. I just switched to one from Seacausus NJ, and the times went to 561 and 42.

Go figure!

When I tested my iPad today, I got results of downloads as high as 1.451 Mps down, but only once did I break 100 Kbs at 140. all other times, the highest was 106 Kbs. I've been getting in the high 600's before.

So something's going on here for certain. My uploads on the iPhone have been about 620 to 630 the past few months. Before that, they were much slower; anywhere from about 90 to 360. So this was a surprise
  • Reply 9 of 94
    atlasboyatlasboy Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I wish someone would throttle AT&T.

Thank you so much. I really needed a laugh and this is the funniest thing I've heard all day.
  • Reply 10 of 94
    grempegrempe Posts: 3member
    "AppleInsider has been led to believe that the issues are a result of an unintentional software glitch"

This is why some people question whether bloggers are journalists. Perhaps you could share with us who led you to believe this to be the case in such a persuasive fashion as to have you write an article about it?
  • Reply 11 of 94
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    The vast majority of desktop computer (always used Macs) issues I have over the years have been download and upload speeds on the internet. I've had several providers (currently Time Warner) and all have been problematic. Seems that every year or so on average I need a new modem or some other tinkering to get or maintain advertised speed that I'm paying for. It seems to be a very inexact science, this. I take it for normal.

Why should it be any different for cell phones? People are acting like service should be regular and constant, and this through the air, not even with a wire. When this stuff has been around as long as water and gas service, we might expect certainty. Until then, get used to imperfection.
  • Reply 12 of 94
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm frustrated with AT&T too, but...

It depends. If it was some kind of spurious glitch fixable with a power reset, or a configuration error, fixable by going into a firmware console and changing settings, maybe. If it was an error in the code, no.

You mean over the holiday weekend? When their techs, outside a skeleton crew, might be away on vacation? Who might not have the ability to recompile code?

It does look bad for them though, and for the sake of the customers, I hope they do fix it quickly.

Any major provider still staffs properly for their DNOC, and will also have OPERATIONS people on the payroll and ready to go.

Are you saying that ATT personnel have to recompile code to fix a problem that just showed up mysteriously? I'm not buying it. Anyone calling in should have been given a clear and concise answer, if available.

ATT's recent statement of "we will let you know soon", invokes a lot of fear and loathing. Let them try to not cover it up, and give the real answer.

But it sucks for everyone affected. I'll just add that those speeds are better than I EVER got on ATT, but I'm sure everyone doesn't care.
  • Reply 13 of 94
    The funniest thing to me is the actual Title of AppleInsider's headline "AT&T not throttling iPhone 4 upload bandwidth"

Haha. And I thought this site had some credentials. Forums on other sites are overloaded with screenshots from almost 40 different regions across the U.S. All having the same EXACT problem.

How did AI come to this groundbreaking conclusion, I would really LOVE to know.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The funniest thing to me is the actual Title of AppleInsider's headline "AT&T not throttling iPhone 4 upload bandwidth"

Haha. And I thought this site had some credentials. Forums on other sites are overloaded with screenshots from almost 40 different regions across the U.S. All having the same EXACT problem.

Because you?ve seen screenshots with people having upload throughput reductions that means they are throttling the uploads, that there is no possible way it?s an error with the network?
  • Reply 15 of 94
    Quote:

'

They are fanboi quoting ATT on their response. Just like earlier today, they said the antenna issue is not an issue, because Apple said so. Apple is going to pay dearly for this and Jobs v2.0 is on the way to an end result similar to Jobs v1.0. For the iphone generation, you better google this and know it before you reply.

Is everyone a lemming and stupid? I don't think so. And many of us are not pleased with these latest responses from ATT and Apple. UGH.
  • Reply 16 of 94
    Whatever it is, the speeds ARE capped at 100kbps. ATT is the internet provider. Not very hard to come to the conclusion. If they are dealing with some issues, why not coming out clean and addressing the issue? As of right now, noone has the official statement from AT&T regarding this issue. But AI came out with a topic title like they had a lunch with the AT&T executives themselves... Funny.
  • Reply 17 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Any major provider still staffs properly for their DNOC, and will also have OPERATIONS people on the payroll and ready to go.

Are you saying that ATT personnel have to recompile code to fix a problem that just showed up mysteriously? I'm not buying it. Anyone calling in should have been given a clear and concise answer, if available.

ATT's recent statement of "we will let you know soon", invokes a lot of fear and loathing. Let them try to not cover it up, and give the real answer.

But it sucks for everyone affected. I'll just add that those speeds are better than I EVER got on ATT, but I'm sure everyone doesn't care.

I remember a number of times over the years when Verizon's service simply went offline. And I mean landlines too. It happens to every company. Software glitches are common, and it can take days to find, and fix even, or especially for "a problem that just showed up mysteriously?"
  • Reply 18 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because you?ve seen screenshots with people having upload throughput reductions that means they are throttling the uploads, that there is no possible way it?s an error with the network?

Did you not read that ATT will have a response to this, sometime, in, the, future?

Fact is, it happened. If they are throttling, or had an implementation mistake, I might be able to guess the DPI type boxes implemented, LOL. But that's just speculation

Yeah, google that, "DPI", and I hope you hit the right landing and education... oh wait, not the right education, sorry.
  • Reply 19 of 94
    Quote:

Whatever it is, the speeds ARE capped at 100kbps. ATT is the internet provider. Not very hard to come to the conclusion. If they are dealing with some issues, why not coming out clean and addressing the issue? As of right now, noone has the official statement from AT&T regarding this issue. But AI came out with a topic title like they had a lunch with the AT&T executives themselves... Funny.

Ok, stop the trolling, or you're out.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I remember a number of times over the years when Verizon's service simply went offline. And I mean landlines too. It happens to every company. Software glitches are common, and it can take days to find, and fix even, or especially for "a problem that just showed up mysteriously?"

We are talking about the lower speeds, conversed here as throttling. We are not talking about outages, others companies, landlines.

What software are you specifically talking about? Even so, ATT should have had a "backout procedure".

If that's the case, then why wasn't this tested after implementation? Sounds like poor implementation methods now that you bring all this up!