Apple unveils redesigned MobileMe Calendar, begins beta signups

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has created a completely new version of its MobileMe Calendar, and subscribers of the $99-per-year service can now sign up for the beta to be selected in the coming weeks.



Users can sign up by going to me.com/calendar and clicking on "Request an invitation." They will then receive an e-mail notification to let them know they have been added to the beta. Apple said they will add members in the order of their request in the coming weeks.



New features of the updated calendar Web application, according to Apple, include:



Beautiful new web application: The Calendar beta includes a new web application at me.com with great-looking calendar views. You'll find redesigned day, week, and month views, as well as a new list view to make scanning your events easier. Your calendars will also load faster, thanks to improved performance. The new web application works best with Safari 5, Firefox 3.6, and Internet Explorer 8.



Share calendars with family and friends: You can easily share your calendars with one or more MobileMe members to keep everyone on the same page. For example, create a shared calendar called "Kids" for school and weekend activities. You can allow the person you're sharing a calendar with to edit events, and set up email notifications to tell you when they make a change.



Publish a calendar for a group or team: The Calendar beta lets you share a read-only public calendar that can be viewed by anyone, perfect for publishing an events calendar such as a soccer team schedule. After setting it up you can send the team members a link to view the calendar on their iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC.



Event invitations with RSVPs: Inviting any guest to an event is easy from the MobileMe Calendar beta. Just add their email address to the event (they don't have to be a MobileMe member) and your guests will get an invitation email they can respond to directly by clicking a link. Your event then automatically updates, making it easy to track RSVPs right in your calendar.



Works on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac: The MobileMe Calendar beta uses the CalDAV standard so you can view and edit your calendars using the built-in calendar applications on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. Please note that support for PCs with Microsoft Outlook is coming soon.





The MobileMe Calendar beta requires users to be running iOS 4 on an iPhone or iPod touch, iOS 3.2 on the iPad, or Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4.



In June, Apple refreshed MobileMe Web applications for both the desktop and iOS devices. The new interface refreshed the look for e-mail, following a beta period that began in May. The new mail offers a widescreen view interface, improved performance, server-side e-mail rules, a formatting toolbar for adding rich text to e-mails, and new SSL security when composing and sending e-mail.



In addition, this week Apple added iPad support, as well as multitasking support within iOS 4, for its MobileMe iDisk application. The free software, which also requires a MobileMe account, allows users to remotely access files saved online. With the update, users can play audio from their iDisk while using another application.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 51
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Surely, this is a glimps of 10.7
  • Reply 2 of 51
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post


    Surely, this is a glimps of 10.7



    Web apps for 10.7? I doubt it. Multi-touch like the iPad? I doubt that will be 10.7 too. More likely it'll be an evolution of 10.6, because Snow Leopard wasn't a bad OS at all for the desktop, there was nothing wrong with it. In many ways, it's more powerful than iOS, because it can use a mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    It seems to me that able has been doing quite a bit of work with its Mobile Me Service as of late.



    Just maybe this is leading to a cloud tunes service.



    Mr. Jobs please o please give us our cloud tunes :-)
  • Reply 4 of 51
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 228member
    I've been using Macs since '88. I dropped '.Mac' about two years ago. I am now very happy with Google Mail/Calendar/Contacts/Tasks/Apps/Picasa and use Dropbox for essential files I might want to have access to elsewhere. All that currently for free. I dropped '.Mac' because paying £65.00 in one payment seemed to hurt too much given the alternatives were completely satisfactory and free. In itself, I know £65.00 is good value for what you get - but not comparatively good value, compared with very good free add-supported services.



    What's the marginal cost to Apple of another .Me subscriber? Must be extremely low. I reckon Apple could create a much larger on-line .Me community by dropping their price to £20 per year and accept automatic quarterly payments to make it easier to pay. I'm sure that at a price one third of the current price the User base would increase significantly - and likely the profitability of the service - and the also the relative importance of the service. With a only a handful of Users, it will remain a service of minor importance, certainly comparatively. The .Me service could be marketed as something important and worthwhile to the Apple-User experience and as such Apple shouldn't make it so 'painful' to adopt.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple has created a completely new version of its MobileMe Calendar, and subscribers of the $99-per-year service can now sign up for the beta to be selected in the coming weeks.



    I can't wait.



    Have 5 Mac and the iPad using MobileMe Mail. Beautiful interface. Makes emaiing a dream to use.



    I would suggest that before anybody dises it to keep an open mind at least try it first.



    BTW, compared to the cost of 2-3 coffees at Starbucks, or the like, a month, MobileMe is a fantastic bargain. And somehow, I am more confident that Apple will be around a lot longer than a coffee house. However, I do like the idea of a monthly or quarterly subscription payment service via the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 826member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post


    I've been using Macs since '88. I dropped '.Mac' about two years ago. I am now very happy with Google Mail/Calendar/Contacts/Tasks/Apps/Picasa and use Dropbox for essential files I might want to have access to elsewhere. All that currently for free. I dropped '.Mac' because paying £65.00 in one payment seemed to hurt too much given the alternatives were completely satisfactory and free. In itself, I know £65.00 is good value for what you get - but not comparatively good value, compared with very good free add-supported services.



    What's the marginal cost to Apple of another .Me subscriber? Must be extremely low. I reckon Apple could create a much larger on-line .Me community by dropping their price to £20 per year and accept automatic quarterly payments to make it easier to pay. I'm sure that at a price one third of the current price the User base would increase significantly - and likely the profitability of the service - and the also the relative importance of the service. With a only a handful of Users, it will remain a service of minor importance, certainly comparatively. The .Me service could be marketed as something important and worthwhile to the Apple-User experience and as such Apple shouldn't make it so 'painful' to adopt.



    I mostly agree with this post. I still have MobileMe, and have no plans of dropping it, since I think the ease of use is incomparable, and is certainly worth $79 to me (which is what I buy it on Amazon every year for).



    However, if you own both an iPhone and a mac, there is no question about Mobile Me being completely worth it.



    The problem with the Google offerings for me are basically that they dont sync well with my desktop apps, and I really really hate using web apps unless I have to. Too much of a keyboard shortcut/scripts/services/etc. user to settle on web apps currently.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Just quoting the last sentence. Read each word carefully.

    Quote:

    With the update, suers can play audio from their iDisk while using another application.









    N.B. If you're done with the sentence and didn't notice anything... something's wrong.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    I was able to buy Mobile Me service through Amazon for a lot less than $99.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    I mostly agree with this post. I still have MobileMe, and have no plans of dropping it, since I think the ease of use is incomparable, and is certainly worth $79 to me (which is what I buy it on Amazon every year for).



    However, if you own both an iPhone and a mac, there is no question about Mobile Me being completely worth it.



    The problem with the Google offerings for me are basically that they dont sync well with my desktop apps, and I really really hate using web apps unless I have to. Too much of a keyboard shortcut/scripts/services/etc. user to settle on web apps currently.



    I totally agree with you. Between Google having all my information and the ease of use of MobileMe when going between all my systems, it is a no brainer for my family.



    Others may be fine with free solutions, but the simplicity of MobileMe is perfect for us.



    BTW - I was able to get the family pack from eBay for a lot less than retail.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Finally adding some real value to the MobileMe subscription. (Above and beyond the iPhone <--> Mac sync feature.)



    BTW, I bought MobileMe last year from J&R for $49; this year J&R are trying to sell it for full price but there are plenty of other places that have it discounted to the $50-$70 price range.



    (I'd avoid the ebay sellers that just email you the registration code, but that's just me.)
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Shared calendars and related functionality is a BIG DEAL! There are a lot of very small and home businesses with 2-5 employees that can use these to get key "server-type" functionality for the price of a Mobile Me Family Pack.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post


    I was able to buy Mobile Me service through Amazon for a lot less than $99.



    I was trying to keep that and other possibilities a secret from the general audience. Some people don't deserve it and others I am more than willing to pass it along.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,779member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post


    Surely, this is a glimps of 10.7



    I'd personally prefer if they worked on bigger features for 10.7, as opposed to redesigned apps.



    Things like unified notifications system wide, iPhone-level simplicity of application installing and a completely new Finder to make it easier for people coming to the Mac, and easier to existing Mac users also.



    This may sound stupid to a seasoned Mac user but folks coming to Mac can get confused by the fact that the Finder has two Movie Folders. If you go to Finder, User Folder, then double-click on the documents folder it opens the main finder menu for documents. It's like there's two but there's not and people get confused by this. So something "completely-different" would be welcome. Something even simpler. Better looking would be a bonus.



    The killer feature Mobile Me really needs is: FREE.



    Let's hope they are redoing all the apps and adding a whole host of simplifying features to launch the fully redesigned FREE Mobile Me in the fall. The killer feature is free, 'cause dong that the make the whole Apple platform more attractive.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krisarmstrong View Post


    It seems to me that able has been doing quite a bit of work with its Mobile Me Service as of late.



    Just maybe this is leading to a cloud tunes service.



    Mr. Jobs please o please give us our cloud tunes :-)



    Good call. Waiting to retire my HDDs. Only thing I can't work out is whether we can ever expect true (use anywhere) video access say if you go on holiday somewhere remote, or whether they'll offer some sensible local storage capability still for devices which normally would rely on streamed content.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The killer feature Mobile Me really needs is: FREE.



    Your free MobileMe email account would mean that many of your emails will go into spam purgatory, just like HotMail, Yahoo, GMail, etc. accounts do. If people need free email, etc. there are lots of other options.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Please update iCal to that, say....for UI consistency?
  • Reply 17 of 51
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Your free MobileMe email account would mean that many of your emails will go into spam purgatory, just like HotMail, Yahoo, GMail, etc. accounts do. If people need free email, etc. there are lots of other options.



    Can you clarify: Are you saying Mobile Me gets no spam at all, or that emails you send from gmail will end up in the spam folder of the recipient?



    MobileMe as Spam in Gmail

    http://www.google.com/support/forum/...20eb2be5&hl=en



    MobileMe getting spam

    http://discussions.apple.com/message...sageID=7704087
  • Reply 18 of 51
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Your free MobileMe email account would mean that many of your emails will go into spam purgatory, just like HotMail, Yahoo, GMail, etc. accounts do. If people need free email, etc. there are lots of other options.



    That's Total nonsense. I never receive spam in my inbox. The spam that I do receive ends up in my spambox.



    Also some posts up somebody commented on the fact that .me syncs so nice with their desktop apps. So does gmail. Gmail syncs with Mail. Calendar syncs with my calendar. Contacts with address book and all this also with my phone all as a push service. The only thing I don't have is iDisk. Which seems slow and not a must. If you never loose your phone you do not have to find it. And If you set a password for your phone you do not need remote wipe.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    Can you clarify: Are you saying Mobile Me gets no spam at all, or that emails you send from gmail will end up in the spam folder of the recipient?



    MobileMe as Spam in Gmail

    http://www.google.com/support/forum/...20eb2be5&hl=en



    MobileMe getting spam

    http://discussions.apple.com/message...sageID=7704087



    I think his point was, that if it is a free service a lot of spammers will grab the free accounts with which to send out their messages. By being a paid for service, it greatly restricts the number of people that would use it.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    sennensennen Posts: 1,469member
    have never had spam in my mobileme mailbox. >fingers crossed!<
Sign In or Register to comment.