Pictures of Apple-branded 3cm-by-3cm touchscreen surface

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    This thing is not for use in a small mobile device like a watch or a remote or a nano. Look at how the cables run; this tiny screen is meant to be installed on something with a large surface area along the south and east planes of the screen. Can you imagine an iPod nano with that much real-estate around the screen?

It's probably meant for laptops, or perhaps a secondary screen on an iPod touch.
  • Reply 62 of 105
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

3cm x 3cm, will it come with a stylus!

No need if it's for registering only small gestures.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    I saw this linked elsewhere.

Something like that would be interesting.

For those saying it's a PV module, doesn't Apple have a patent for incorporating PV modules into LCD screens?
  • Reply 64 of 105
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Actually- that *does* look like something people would buy.

C.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Any chance that thing could capture images?
  • Reply 66 of 105
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

For those saying it's a PV module, doesn't Apple have a patent for incorporating PV modules into LCD screens?

Ohhhhh... That's interesting, but the size shown is about 1.8 x the 1.2" discussed here.

I have one of these from about 3 years back:

The width is right on, but the height is a little shorter than 1.2".

• Reply 67 of 105
    chanochano Posts: 51member
    Come on guys. It's a virtual tea bag. You hold it by the strap thingy and dunk it. It downloads the tea you want and infuses into the hot water.

Earl Grey, Hot. No sugar.

Make it so.
  • Reply 68 of 105
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Actually- that *does* look like something people would buy.

C.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Any chance that thing could capture images?

If not capture, how about NFC bump transfer images among multiple of these, and devices with cameras: iPhones and Touches.

I can just see a family of 5 of these lined up charging and bilking their little heads off

If inexpensive enough, there are possible uses in toys! Mattel, Fisher-Price-- better watch your back!

• Reply 69 of 105
    pele139pele139 Posts: 1member
    Hey guys I'm new so I'll understand if I'm bashed by all of you veterans here.

I think it would be logical if it were an Apple TV remote with a built in solar panel. This way you wouldn't have the inconvenience of having to charge it by a dock connector. The remote can stay in the living room and charges much like a solar calculator. If that screen has all of that solar real estate, it would be enough to ensure it doesn't run out of power. Another alternative is the same idea, but with navigation, but that's unlikely because they would rather you use iPhone or iPad for navigating than a whole new product.

I'm excited to talk with all of you!
  • Reply 70 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pele139 View Post

Hey guys I'm new so I'll understand if I'm bashed by all of you veterans here.

I think it would be logical if it were an Apple TV remote with a built in solar panel. This way you wouldn't have the inconvenience of having to charge it by a dock connector. The remote can stay in the living room and charges much like a solar calculator. If that screen has all of that solar real estate, it would be enough to ensure it doesn't run out of power. Another alternative is the same idea, but with navigation, but that's unlikely because they would rather you use iPhone or iPad for navigating than a whole new product.

I'm excited to talk with all of you!

Not a bad first post at all! Welcome.

If you zoom into that image there appear to be repeating rows or red, green, blue however too large for typical pixels, what could it be? Also the six rows of dots do look like solar but the connectors do not. So maybe it is a combination of both. Just enough resolution for navigational buttons or numerical display with space between the LEDs for PV.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    steve100steve100 Posts: 1member
    I think that it could be a replacement to the click wheel
  • Reply 72 of 105
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

The source is claiming it to be a touchscreen. There's no evidence that AI is aware of to confirm or deny it though. AI isn't saying that they know it's a touchscreen, but why should they not believe the source if they've been dead-on before?

The source speculated it might be a touch screen, but every single article has picked it up and repeated that it is a "touch screen" even though a closer reading tells you that there is nothing beyond the source's speculation to indicate this is so.

I'm not arguing that it isn't a touch screen, as most of Apple's screens of that size would of course be touch screens. I'm just pointing out that there isn't any evidence of this at all and it's wrong to include it in the headline when you are going to deny the headline in the first paragraph.

It's yet another data point in the long slow decline of something called "journalism" and decrying the slow erosion in the population of people who know how to think and write.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The source speculated it might be a touch screen, but every single article has picked it up and repeated that it is a "touch screen" even though a closer reading tells you that there is nothing beyond the source's speculation to indicate this is so.

The touch screen theory is not a bad one.

If you look at the pictures and not just the words....there are two ribbon connectors running to this part.

This is organised identically to the touch screen in the iPhone - one driving the LCD display - the other driving the capacitative touch elements.

It's not proof, but its more convincing than the solar panel thory.

I am joining the next gen iPod shuffle theory camp.

The current shuffle with no screen, and no controls has been designed down to become a not very good iPod.

This would at least have the benefit of becoming musical jewellery. The idea of wearing-what-you-listen-to is something that the Apple marketing machine could get totally behind.

C.
  • Reply 75 of 105
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post

Check it out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49361977@N06/4777754308/

I hope not. The UI design is simple for the sake of being simple, but not refined. Not Apple-like at all. You couldn't change tracks without looking at the device, and why would play and pause have their own individual buttons?

The concept I found linked elsewhere and reposted here was much more refined. It used the screen to display something somewhat useful (album art). And the controls were drop dead easy: tap to play, tap to pause, swipe left or right to change tracks, up and down for volume. An accelerometer would determine the devices orientation to keep the controls consistent. What's amazing is that the concept is a couple years old now.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    ⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈

NNNNNNNNNNN

AAAAAAAAAA

NNNNNNNNN

OOOOOOOO

ΠΛΠΟ קֶȞỌN?

SLIGTHY MORE like the fat boy nano ipod

makes wi fi phone calls

and does all it does now

it is not a small i phone

its a new class of phone that appeals to a 300 millions sales over 5 yr time frame crowd

cheap

milled alum

great screen

great apps

great face to face time

4g/7g nwifi phone calls

from apple server farms

dick tracey small

no camera's and stuff like that

a NANO PHONE FOR THOSE WHO NEED LESS of a phone .

fat boy nano vide0 phone

• Reply 77 of 105
    omoomo Posts: 31member
    How about a navigational touch screen for the back of a future iPhone 4 v2.0 (i.e., next year)??? One of my biggest aggravations with web navigation on the iPhone is accidentally clicking a link as I try to scroll a page along the edge. Certainly the new iPhone 4 design with the flat glass back more readily lends itself to a rear touch screen than does the curved design of the 3G/3Gs.
  • Reply 78 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ΠΛΠΟ קֶȞỌN?

fat boy nano vide0 phone

Good luck dialling on a 1" screen-keypad.

C.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    NEW MAC PROS

Confirmed!!!
  • Reply 80 of 105
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I wouldn't wear an iWatch. I thought we'd got over digital watches back in the 80's when people realised that whilst they told the time accurately, and had loads of functions nobody used, that wasn't enough to counter the fact that they look crap! I'll stick with my Breitling! ...

Actually, they were precise, but most of them weren't all that accurate.