Google introduces Android-powered Apple TV competitor

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 285
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

As huge as Google is, they can't go at all by themselves. They have no experience building consumer hardware. Zilch, zip, nada.

Which is why I'm happy to see that Logitech is the one actually building the box and control equipment. I've had plenty of their products over time and none of them have failed to disappoint on quality. I'm still using their first 5.1 computer speaker set and Bluetooth keyboard set I bought years ago.

On a side note, the other reason I see this at least gaining more traction than Apple TV is because Google is actually throwing a good deal of their weight behind it. As far as I know, Apple execs are still considering Apple TV to be a hobby and not throwing much behind it. There certainly hasn't been any commercials to get the name out there.

Maybe Google TV will give this market the kick it needs. And Apple follows up with some Apple TV commercials.
  • Reply 282 of 285
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Which is why I'm happy to see that Logitech is the one actually building the box and control equipment. I've had plenty of their products over time and none of them have failed to disappoint on quality. I'm still using their first 5.1 computer speaker set and Bluetooth keyboard set I bought years ago.

On a side note, the other reason I see this at least gaining more traction than Apple TV is because Google is actually throwing a good deal of their weight behind it. As far as I know, Apple execs are still considering Apple TV to be a hobby and not throwing much behind it. There certainly hasn't been any commercials to get the name out there.

Maybe Google TV will give this market the kick it needs. And Apple follows up with some Apple TV commercials.

It ain't the box, it's the content... and Google ain't got the content!

• Reply 283 of 285
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

Is this competition for Apple TV?

Apple TV connects to the largest online TV/Music/Movie media store in the world and where users can buy content direct. Your Apple TV can replace your cable subscription.

In Apples current state with the Apple TV, I don't know how you can say that as nearly every episode from the App store cost $2-3 dollars. If you watch quite a few shows, you would surpass your cable bill rather quickly. However, should Apple tv open up to cable, satilite and add DVR capabilities, then that a different beast all together. Right now ATV is still seen as a hobby device.
  • Reply 284 of 285
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

In Apples current state with the Apple TV, I don't know how you can say that as nearly every episode from the App store cost $2-3 dollars. If you watch quite a few shows, you would surpass your cable bill rather quickly. However, should Apple tv open up to cable, satilite and add DVR capabilities, then that a different beast all together. Right now ATV is still seen as a hobby device.

One reason why it's considered a hobby device by Apple is because Jobs has said that with it, you've bought it, and you can do anything you want with it. There are many mods available. Some allow you to view content otherwise not available from iTunes. If you look through this site, and there's a lot there, you'll see how to do things with the unit you wouldn't have thought possible.

http://www.appletvhacks.net/
  • Reply 285 of 285
    TV in the Trash, Welcome GOOGLE TV.I love Apple but the,TV is crap unless you hack it

teste de paternité

keys to happiness