iPhone gets 3G video call features via Fring, poorly

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    So may I ask a question- if apple integrates face time to iChat, and releases a pc version of iChat ( or is there one?), have they essentially wiped out fringe and skype et el?

I have the suspicion they understand this but may not be able to implement due to no compete items in contract with AT&T. Just an opinion
  • Reply 22 of 41
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I still think Apple is going to release a new version of the iPad - with a front-facing camera for FaceTime - this fall in time for Christmas. Otherwise, you cannot explain Steve Jobs claim of "10's of millions of FaceTime devices by 2011" during the recent keynote. Apple won't sell 10's of millions iPhones and a yet unreleased iPod before the end of this year.

My 3 cents (I feel generous today).

If Apple included facetime support for Macs (probably through iChat) then that would also take it to tens of millions of devices.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

If Apple included facetime support for Macs (probably through iChat) then that would also take it to tens of millions of devices.

iPhone,

iPod Touch,

iPad,

and all the macs with iSight.

that would definatley be 'tens of millions of devices'
  • Reply 24 of 41
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    All the demos I've seen of FaceTime stuttered and froze up - even Steve's stage demo did. The advantage with 3G calling is that it's far more likely you will get someone online to be able to speak to them. Webcams have been low quality for ages so I don't think the smaller size matters. I would likely use Fring more than FaceTime in real-world situations.

Like if my girlfriend is in a store asking for an opinion about an item, she can hold the camera up to the item and show me it - even if she has to turn the camera round. No way she's going to have wifi in any random store.

Skype is already available on the iPhone over wifi and if wifi was ubiquitous enough to be useful for this task, more people would be using Skype for calling as well as video chat.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

The point I'm making without "technical hullabaloo" is that Fring provides the average John Doe the capability to have a "video chat" over a network. One needs to understand that the mass shift to apple iPhone by folks is because Microsoft / Nokia /RIM / ect couldn't deliver easy smartphone features for average person social media to be precise.

Let keep things in perspective from the average user end.

The average user isn't using 3G video calls, it's too woeful. In it's current state it's but a novelty that gets tiring after a few uses. It is the one thing I have not missed in Australia after moving to iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    t2aft2af Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

This is why Apple only supports FaceTime over Wi-Fi. 3G isn't fast enough to sustain a quality connection. .

facetime does work pretty well over 3g, it's just the networks can't handle it. Considering only a 'geek' % of people installed fring for iphone 4 and it killed their servers.. if everyone with an iphone 4 decided to facetime over the network it would completely destroy it .

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/i...we-had-to-try/
  • Reply 27 of 41
    jamesmcdjamesmcd Posts: 68member
    Same situation in New Zealand as in Australia. We've had 3G video calling on our cell phones for god knows how long. 5-6 years? And we think we're backwards

Also happy that the iPhone is sold completely unlocked in NZ, also can do tethering with no probs.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    crrisercrriser Posts: 6member
    Hey folks ...

I think most are missing the point. Until last week, FRING was available for the iPhone but did NOT use the front facing camera. It was a multi platform piece of software that allowed access to various IM services along with SKYPE and other desktop solutions. More importantly, on platforms like Android, it allowed the use of front facing cameras for video chat (on phones like the EVO).

There were other programs that did this, like QUIK, but only FRING was multi platform.

The concern was that Apple would never let them put a feature in it that allowed the front facing camera to work because it would "duplicate" Facetime. Much to EVERYONE's surprise, including FRING, Apple allowed the app into the store this week. Those that already had it on their phones were pushed the update.

I have an EVO and most of my friends have the new iPhone. FRING allows a near perfect connection between the two allowing full video calls between Android and the iOS. Facetime, as of right now, will NOT allow this. In addition, FRING allows both Android and iOS users to communicate via video calls with ANY version of the desktop Skype application. This also works fairly well. Again, something that SKYPE for the iOS does NOT allow.

FRING was not prepared for the amount of business and traffic this would create and consequently dropped the ability for FRING to do video with Skype.

Essentially, FRING allows full cross platform communication for video calls.

Hopefully they can get the servers up to speed to handle the load. For the 24 hours it was working, it was very very cool.

CharlesJR
  • Reply 29 of 41
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Doesn't it already have Facetime?
  • Reply 30 of 41
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Doesn't it already have Facetime?

Facepalm!
  • Reply 31 of 41
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I still think Apple is going to release a new version of the iPad - with a front-facing camera for FaceTime - this fall in time for Christmas. Otherwise, you cannot explain Steve Jobs claim of "10's of millions of FaceTime devices by 2011" during the recent keynote. Apple won't sell 10's of millions iPhones and a yet unreleased iPod before the end of this year...

I've heard this from a lot of people but it makes no sense to me.

Apple has *never* done this (a major update of a product on cycles shorter than a year). It also has a huge downside in that you've just sold millions of folks on the hottest new device, made them all pay 500-600 dollars for it and then made it obsolete six months later. Its rude, it's far from expected, and will likely generate more bad feeling and bad press than the new product will garner attention.

The iPad will be updated the same as almost every other Apple product. Approximately one year from the release of the first model. Besides which, I don't think there is enough flash memory and LCD screens in the world to release two major revisions in one year.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRRiser View Post

Hey folks ...

I think most are missing the point. Until last week, FRING was available for the iPhone but did NOT use the front facing camera. It was a multi platform piece of software that allowed access to various IM services along with SKYPE and other desktop solutions. More importantly, on platforms like Android, it allowed the use of front facing cameras for video chat (on phones like the EVO).

There were other programs that did this, like QUIK, but only FRING was multi platform.

The concern was that Apple would never let them put a feature in it that allowed the front facing camera to work because it would "duplicate" Facetime. Much to EVERYONE's surprise, including FRING, Apple allowed the app into the store this week. Those that already had it on their phones were pushed the update.

I have an EVO and most of my friends have the new iPhone. FRING allows a near perfect connection between the two allowing full video calls between Android and the iOS. Facetime, as of right now, will NOT allow this. In addition, FRING allows both Android and iOS users to communicate via video calls with ANY version of the desktop Skype application. This also works fairly well. Again, something that SKYPE for the iOS does NOT allow.

FRING was not prepared for the amount of business and traffic this would create and consequently dropped the ability for FRING to do video with Skype.

Essentially, FRING allows full cross platform communication for video calls.

Hopefully they can get the servers up to speed to handle the load. For the 24 hours it was working, it was very very cool.

CharlesJR

I agree, but with one caveat.

If Apple adds FaceTime support for OS-X, that alone could force FRING to rewrite their app and add support for the Facetime protocol as well. Facetime is also (potentially) a full cross platform communication tool. At this point it will be about adoption of standards and personally, I think Apple might have the winning strategy in the end by means of their installed computer base.

I don't even like video calls and I don't currently use iChat, but if I could fire up iChat and talk to anyone I know who has an iPhone 4, that would all of a sudden become my preferred communication method. It could easily catch on like wildfire at least in the Mac community, (which is currently about 23% of the consumer market).
  • Reply 33 of 41
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Nice that they put NO EXPLANATION in the app itself -- Fring has bad customer support that way...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

They are limiting Skype users right now due to the huge spike in their traffic. Their servers were struggling to keep up with the demand.

Hopefully they are upgrading their servers to compensate for their increased demand.

• Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I agree, but with one caveat.

If Apple adds FaceTime support for OS-X, that alone could force FRING to rewrite their app and add support for the Facetime protocol as well. Facetime is also (potentially) a full cross platform communication tool. At this point it will be about adoption of standards and personally, I think Apple might have the winning strategy in the end by means of their installed computer base.

I don't even like video calls and I don't currently use iChat, but if I could fire up iChat and talk to anyone I know who has an iPhone 4, that would all of a sudden become my preferred communication method. It could easily catch on like wildfire at least in the Mac community, (which is currently about 23% of the consumer market).

I just hope Apple goes for it - Adds FaceTime to iChat on OSX - works out integration with Cisco and Skype .... then just to set the cat among the pigeons goes after the Flip with an iPod touch that supports FaceTime and Video recording with iMovie
  • Reply 35 of 41
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    SUCK IT UP! Early adopters ALWAYS GET SCREWED!

Apple STILL has not release a Safari/Security update for original iPhones and iPods on iOS 3.x!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I've heard this from a lot of people but it makes no sense to me.

Apple has *never* done this (a major update of a product on cycles shorter than a year). It also has a huge downside in that you've just sold millions of folks on the hottest new device, made them all pay 500-600 dollars for it and then made it obsolete six months later. Its rude, it's far from expected, and will likely generate more bad feeling and bad press than the new product will garner attention.

The iPad will be updated the same as almost every other Apple product. Approximately one year from the release of the first model. Besides which, I don't think there is enough flash memory and LCD screens in the world to release two major revisions in one year.

• Reply 36 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    \
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

I just hope Apple goes for it - Adds FaceTime to iChat on OSX - works out integration with Cisco and Skype .... then just to set the cat among the pigeons goes after the Flip with an iPod touch that supports FaceTime and Video recording with iMovie

Apple has already worked out 3rd-party "integration" on its end by opening up FaceTime and making all the protocols standard. It's now up to everyone else to adopt it.

They've never done a major update to iChat outside a major Mac OS X update. Maybe they'll change that and make iChat for Windows, but I doubt it, on both accounts.

Skype will probably be last to adopt it because it could hurt their model. I've heard that Cisco will be supporting FaceTime which should make routers more "aware" of this time sensitive data, and that the next Flips will come with WiFi for fast uploading. Perhaps that also means a front facing camera and FaceTime).
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

\

Apple has already worked out 3rd-party "integration" on its end by opening up FaceTime and making all the protocols standard. It's now up to everyone else to adopt it.

They've never done a major update to iChat outside a major Mac OS X update. Maybe they'll change that and make iChat for Windows, but I doubt it, on both accounts.

Skype will probably be last to adopt it because it could hurt their model. I've heard that Cisco will be supporting FaceTime which should make routers more "aware" of this time sensitive data, and that the next Flips will come with WiFi for fast uploading. Perhaps that also means a front facing camera and FaceTime).

Good points. I would like to see iChat for OS X updated. and Facetime on the iPod Touches.

A fully stacked iPod Touch could seriously compete with the Cisco Flip.

One another point Apple on windows - I wonder if Apple should have an X-Code plugin for Eclipse or write an X-Code for windows to get more developers for iOS ?

I'm not too bothered about iChat for windows provided other windows IM's support iChat (aol does) and FaceTime.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    zaim2zaim2 Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

This is apple vs non apple approach. Apple does not make features available that would suck when used.

The notification system would like a word with you.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaim2 View Post

The notification system would like a word with you.

Apple have hired back the designer that created the WebOS notification system from Palm

Maybe next a new notification system and a widget system
  • Reply 40 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

Good points. I would like to see iChat for OS X updated. and Facetime on the iPod Touches.

A fully stacked iPod Touch could seriously compete with the Cisco Flip.

I think that is their plan. There is simply no reason to build, promote, and offer FaceTime for free if you aren?t going to make this a part of your iPod line, too.

Quote:

One another point Apple on windows - I wonder if Apple should have an X-Code plugin for Eclipse or write an X-Code for windows to get more developers for iOS ?

I don?t see this happening. Everything Apple does is to try to sell more HW and keeping more people developing on Windows, minus the time and expense of creating dual development platforms doesn?t seem likely. If they didn?t do that when they needed app developers I simply can?t see them as thinking it?s prudent now when Xcode is growing exponentially fast and their iOS App Store is the largest modern, mobile platform housing the best apps, bar none.

PS: There was a rumour that Marble was the successor to Aqua for the GUI on Snow Leopard. That never materialized. Gruber of Daring Fireball fame states he is sure that Marble is Xcode 4.
    Quote:

I'm not too bothered about iChat for windows provided other windows IM's support iChat (aol does) and FaceTime.

To be clear, iChat is just a client app that taps into AOL?s AIM servers and other IM protocols, just like Adium for Mac OS or Trillian.